View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 04:38 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

October 3

Spiritual Progress First
The head of the house ought to remember that he is mainly to blame for what befell his home.
He can scarcely square the account in his lifetime. But he must see the danger of over-concentration on
financial success. Although financial recovery is on the way for many of us, we found we could not place
money first. For us, material well-being always followed spiritual progress; it never preceded.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 127

Thought to Ponder
Spiritual progress isn't what gets us sober, it's what keeps us sober.

AA-related 'Alconym'
T I M E = Things I Must Earn.

~*~A.A. Thoughts For The Day~*~

Demonstration
"Men and women who use alcohol as an escape
are not the only ones who are afraid of life,
hostile to the world, fleeing from it into loneliness.
Millions who are not alcoholics
are living today in illusory worlds,
nurturing the basic anxieties and insecurities
of human existence
rather than face themselves with courage and humility.
To these people, AA can offer as a cure no magic potion,
no chemical formula, no powerful drug.
But it can demonstrate to them how to use the tools
of humility, honesty, devotion, and love,
which indeed are the heart of the Twelve Steps
of our recovery."
c.1957AAWS, Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age, p. 279

Thought to Consider . . .
AA Is like an adjustable wrench, it fits almost any nut.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
H O P E = Help Open People's Eyes

*~*~*~*~*^Just For Today!^*~*~*~*~*

Searching for the Positives
Slowly and painfully, I became aware of myself. I began to see it wasn't true that I didn't believe in anything. Rather, I had believed in the wrong things:
I had believed I needed a drink for confidence.
I had believed I was unattractive.
I had believed I was unworthy.
I had believed no one loved me.
I had believed I never had a break.
Someone said at a closed meeting, There is good in all of us. Seek it out, nurture it, tend it, and it will flourish. So I began searching for the positives within me. I realized that my feeling of inferiority was just one aspect of ego, and the arrogance I projected was the other. I must find the center median. So I tried to act as if:
AA was giving me confidence.
I had an attractive personality, even though I was not beautiful.
I was worthy, like all others.
I loved myself and could therefore love others.
Faith was freeing me from the fear that had always gripped me.
1973, AAWS, Inc., Came to Believe, pages 103-104

*~*~*~*~*^ Grapevine Quote ^*~*~*~*~*

"The measure of my sobriety isn't the distance between now and the last drink -- the measure of my sobriety is the distance between now and the next drink."
White Rock, British Columbia, May 2005
"Life -- It Happens"
No Matter What: Dealing with Adversity in Sobriety

*~*~*~*~*^ Big Book & Twelve N' Twelve Quotes of the Day ^*~*~*~*~*

"Another principle we observe carefully is that we do not relate
intimate experiences of another person unless we are sure he would
approve. We find it better, when possible, to stick to our own
stories. A man may criticize or laugh at himself and it will affect
others favorably, but criticism or ridicule coming from another often
produces the contrary effect."
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, The Family Afterward, pg. 125

We know that while the alcoholic keeps away from drink , as he may do for months or years , he reacts much like other men . We are equally positive that once he takes any alcohol whatever into his system , something happens , both in the bodily and mental sense , which makes it virtually impossible for him to stop . The experience of any alcoholic will abundantly confirm this .
Alcoholics Anonymous Page 22-23

It reminds us that we are to place principles before personalities; that we are actually to practice a genuine humility.
-Alcoholics Anonymous p.566

For we had started to get perspective on ourselves, which is another way of saying that we were gaining in humility.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 48

Misc. AA Literature - Quote

I have had many experiences with atheists, mostly good. Everybody in A.A. has the right to his own opinion. It is much better to maintain an open and tolerant society than it is to suppress any small disturbances their opinions might occasion. Actually, 1 don't know of anybody who went off and died of alcoholism because of some atheist's opinions on the cosmos.
'But I do always entreat these folks to look to a 'Higher Power' - namely, their own group. When they come in, most of their A.A. group is sober, and they are drunk. Therefore, the group is a 'Higher Power.' That's a good enough start, and most of them do progress from there. I know how they feel, because I was once that way myself.

Prayer for the Day: Take Time - Take Time to think; it is the source of power. Take Time to play; it is the secret of perpetual young. Take Time to read; it is the foundation of wisdom. Take Time to pray; it is the greatest power on earth. Take Time to be friendly; it is the road to happiness. Take Time to laugh; it is the music of the soul. Take Time to give; it is too short a day to be selfish. Take Time to work; it is the price of success. Take Time to do charity; it is the key to heaven. Take Time to be quiet; it is the moment to seek God. Take Time to be aware; it is the opportunity to help others. Take Time to love and be loved; it is God's greatest gift. Take Time to dream; it is what the future is made of.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote