View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 06:07 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

October 10

The Alcoholic
He is often perfectly sensible and well balanced concerning everything except liquor,
but in that respect he is incredibly dishonest and selfish. He often possesses special
abilities, skills, and aptitudes, and has a promising career ahead of him.
He uses his gifts to build up a bright outlook for his family and himself,
and then pulls the structure down on his head by a senseless series of sprees.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 21

Thought to Ponder
Alcoholic drinking's three stages: impulsive, compulsive, repulsive.

AA-related 'Alconym'
A L E = Alibis, Lies, Excuses.

~*~A.A. Thoughts For The Day~*~

Sponsorship
"No satisfaction has been deeper and no joy greater
than in a Twelfth Step job well done.
To watch the eyes of men and women open with wonder
as they move from darkness into light,
to see their lives quickly fill with new purpose and meaning,
to see whole families reassembled,
to see the alcoholic outcast received back into his community
in full citizenship,
and above all to watch these people awaken to the
presence of a loving God in their lives --
these things are the substance of what we receive
as we carry AA's message to the next alcoholic."
c.1952AAWS, Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 110

Thought to Consider . . .
A recovering alcoholic without a sponsor
is much like a ship without a rudder.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
S P O N S O R = Sober Person Offering Newcomer Support Of Recovery.

*~*~*~*~*^Just For Today!^*~*~*~*~*

Under All Conditions
As we work the first nine Steps, we prepare ourselves for the adventure of a new life. But when we approach Step Ten we commence to put our AA way of living to practical use, day by day, in fair weather or foul. Then comes the acid test: can we stay sober, keep in emotional balance, and live to good purpose under all conditions?
Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, page 88

I know the Promises are being fulfilled in my life, but I want to maintain and develop them by the daily application of Step Ten. I have learned through this Step that if I am disturbed, there is something wrong with me. The other person may be wrong too, but I can only deal with my feelings. When I am hurt or upset, I have to continually look for the cause in me, and then I have to admit and correct my mistakes. It isn't easy, but as long as I know I am progressing spiritually, I know that I can mark my effort up as a job well done. I have found that pain is a friend; it lets me know there is something wrong with my emotions, just as a physical pain lets me know there is something wrong with my body. When I take the appropriate action through the Twelve Steps, the pain gradually goes away.
1990, AAWS, Inc., Daily Reflections, page 284

*~*~*~*~*^ Grapevine Quote ^*~*~*~*~*

"With the clock ticking like it is, I do not have time for anger, resentment, or self-pity. Time is far too precious."
Durham, N.C., April 2002
"Just an Attitude,"
No Matter What: Dealing with Adversity in Sobriety

*~*~*~*~*^ Big Book & Twelve N' Twelve Quotes of the Day ^*~*~*~*~*

"Despite all we can say, many who are real alcoholics are not going
to believe they are in that class. By every form of self-deception
and experimentation, they will try to prove themselves exceptions to
the rule, therefore nonalcoholic. If anyone who is showing inability
to control his drinking can do the right-about-face and drink like a
gentleman, our hats are off to him. Heaven knows, we have tried hard
enough and long enough to drink like other people!"
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, More About Alcoholism, pg. 31~

In thinking about our day we may face indecision .We may not be able to determine which course to take . Here we ask God for inspiration , an intuitive thought or a decision . We relax and take it easy . We don't struggle . We are often surprised how the right answers come after we have tried this for a while . What used to be the hunch or the occasional inspiration gradually becomes a working part of the mind . Being still inexperienced and having just made conscious contact with God , it is not probable that we are going to be inspired at all times . We might pay for this presumption in all sorts of absurd actions and ideals . Nevertheless , we find that our thinking will , as time passes , be more and more on the plane of inspiration . We come to rely upon it .
Alcoholics Anonymous Page 86-87

Our thought-life will be placed on a much higher plane when our thinking is cleared of wrong motives.
-Alcoholics Anonymous p.86

We "constructively criticized" someone who needed it, when our real motive was to win a useless argument.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 94

Misc. AA Literature - Quote

I had gone steadily downhill, and on that day in 1934 I lay upstairs in the hospital, knowing for the first time that I was utterly hopeless.
Lois was downstairs, and Dr. Silkworth was trying in his gentle way to tell her what was wrong with me and that I was hopeless. 'But Bill has a tremendous amount of will power,' she said. 'He has tried desperately to get well. We have tried everything. Doctor, why can't he stop?'
He explained that my drinking, once a habit, had become an obsession, a true insanity that condemned me to drink against my will.
'In the late stages of our drinking, the will to resist has fled. Yet when we admit complete defeat and when we become entirely ready to try A.A. principles, our obsession leaves us and we enter a new dimension - freedom under God as we understand Him.

Prayer for the Day: Who, Me? - I need to be forgiven, Lord, so many times a day. So Often do I stumble and fall. Be merciful, I pray. Help me not to be critical when others' faults I see. For so often, Lord, the same faults are in me.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote