View Single Post
Old 11-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 8

Wisdom for Today

Strength training requires regular workouts, lifting weights and exercise. Strength training in recovery isn't very different. If I want to strengthen my faith, I need to exercise it. I do this in a variety of different ways. I need to have regular workouts. This happens when I continually talk to my Higher Power. In prayer I talk to God and tell Him about my needs. I talk to Him about what I am grateful for, and I talk about the help that I seek. I also need to lift up the heavy weights in my life - those problems, emotions and thinking I find especially heavy or troubling. I exercise my faith when I share openly at meetings. I trust that God will use my words to help others, but I also trust that He will use my words to help me as well.

When another addict or alcoholic approaches me, I recognize quickly that there is little I can offer except my experience, good and bad. When they come back and tell me that something I said helped them, I have to remind myself that it is not my words but how God is using them. I always thank these individuals not because of what they said, but because of the example that they give me that God does want to help addicts and alcoholics. Finally, after a good workout, I need to rest quietly and simply absorb what has happened. When I do this, I find that my faith has been strengthened. Do I exercise my faith?

Meditations for the Heart

Sometimes I am asked how to listen to God. There is no easy answer to this question. In part that’s true because each addict or alcoholic understands God in his own way. For some individuals, G-O-D means Group of Drunks or Druggies. When this is the case, listening to G-O-D becomes listening to the group conscious of the program. In this case it is trust that God works in and through the fellowship. For others, G-O-D stands for Good Orderly Direction. In this case listening to what the mind knows is healthy leads us to God's voice. For some of us God is the One we came to know through our religious upbringing. In this case, I have found that listening as a little child listens to a caring parent helps me. I find answers in my heart and in my mind. As I have grown in my understanding of God, I have come to believe that all of these methods work. I guess He is what we need and talks to us in a way we can understand regardless of who we are. Do I hear God's voice in some way?

Petitions to my Higher Power

God,
In this day I know that I will be facing many different situations. Help me to exercise my faith regularly throughout the day. Let me carry the weights in my life to You and trust that You will lead me to the answers I need. Help me to listen for Your voice as I walk the path of recovery.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: