MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just For Today
April 25
Embracing Reality

“Recovery is a reality for us today”
Basic Text, p. 97

Pain and misery were realities in our using lives. We were unwilling either to accept our living situation or to change what was unacceptable in our lives. We attempted to escape life’s pain by taking drugs, but using only compounded our troubles. Our altered sense of reality became a nightmare.

Through living the program of Narcotics Anonymous, we learn that our dreams can replace our nightmares. We grow and change. We acquire the freedom of choice. We are able to give and receive love. We can share honestly about ourselves, no longer magnifying or minimizing the truth. We accept the challenges real life offers us, facing them in a mature, responsible way.

Although recovery does not give us immunity from the realities of life, in the NA Fellowship we can find the support, genuine care, and concern we need to face those realities. We need never hide from reality by using drugs again, for our unity with other recovering addicts gives us strength. Today the support, the care, and the empathy of recovery give us a clean, clear window through which to view, experience, and appreciate reality as it is.

Just for today: A gift of my recovery is living and enjoying life as it truly is. Today, I will embrace reality.
Had a smile when I read this, because my first thought was 8 months until Christmas. Yikes!

My reality is that I just finished dinner at 10:15 p.m. and this is suppose to be a morning meditation, or so I am lead to believe; which tells me, meditation is good any time. I am sitting here typing this out waiting for a pan of brownies to bake and anxiously awaiting for them to finish in the next 15 minutes, so I can take them out, let them cool and eat them. The reality is that I am a diabetic, and although some is good, more is not better, and I will have a WHOLE pan of brownies facing me when they are done. This is when I call on my God to give me the courage, strength and fortitude to give me the willingness to be willing to have that treat, a brownie, which does not constitute a 1/4 of the pan or 1/2 for me and the other 1/2 for when my son comes tomorrow. In the past it would be, he left, that's his problem, all the more for me. Chocolate and brownies can be just as much a drug as any other substance I choose to pick up. The fact that I can sit here and talk about it, and see it as something I need to control because I KNOW that I shouldn't have bought it in the first place. The fact that I debated with myself, told myself that I could manage not eating them all at once, and now that my son is no longer living with me, I didn't have to rush and eat my share so I didn't miss out, or he would eat mine and his, is all poppy cock and an excuse. I can have dark chocolate as a diabetic. Yet it is the amount of chocolate, I am pretty sure it doesn`t mean a whole pan of brownies as much as I would like to think so and as many times as I tell myself. One day I might even believe it, even if I don`t convince you. Thanks for letting me share.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote