View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 01:46 AM   #5
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sunday, October 5, 2014

You are reading from the book Today's Gift

I think of the trees and how simply they let go, let fall the riches of a season, how without grief (it seems) they can let go and go deep into their roots for renewal and sleep.
—May Sarton

"How can I do what you say," asked the child, "and still be me?"

"Look at me," said the tree. "I bend in the wind, droop in the rain. Yet I always remain myself, a tree."

"Look at me," said the man. "I can't change."

"Look at me," said the tree. "I change every season from green to brown to green again, from bud to flower to fallen leaf. Yet I always remain myself, a tree."

"I can't love anymore," said the woman. "With my love, I have given away all that I am."

"Look at me," said the tree. "There are robins in my branches, owls in my trunk, moss and ladybugs living on my bark. They may take what I have, but not what I am."

Whether we know it or not, we are like the tree. Only our pride hangs on to a false sense of self, wanting to keep everything, refusing to follow advice or orders. What we do doesn't matter; how we do it is what counts.

What changes have I gone through without losing my real self?
A good question. Two abusive marriages and several relationships, some in recovery, although it was through the 12 Steps that I found myself. I thought I had gone missing in action. I am a recovering addict, alcoholic, and have an on going eating disorder and have chronic pain which needs daily application of the Steps and the application of my program daily.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote