View Single Post
Old 03-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Even More Recovery Readings and Meditations - March 10

March 10

Step by Step

Today, Step Eight – ” ...became willing to make amends …” – Understand that simply becoming willing to be free of my character defects means nothing if I do not understand WHY I must make those amends. To become willing, I must first accept that I have damaged not only myself but others whose anger at me, the injury I inflicted on them and possible permanent damage may still be too fresh for acceptance of my apologies. It is in Step Nine in which we hear the need for more than becoming willing: we make our amends“except when to do so would injure” those to whom we apologize and others who may be collateral damage on our trail of destruction. A failure to see or to understand and feel the need to release the defects that contributed to my misconduct may mean I might still harbor those defects, however deeply, and that they may resurface to derail my recovery. Today, if I have an amend to make, God grant that I feel with honesty, sincerity, humility and a healing hand why I must do so. And our common journey continues. Step by step. – Chris M.

~ EASY DOES IT ~ (A Book of Daily 12 Step Meditations) ~

COMPLACENCY

First we work the Program because we HAVE to. Then we work the Program because we are WILLING to. Finally we work the Program because we WANT to.

~ Anonymous ~

To think at any time that our battle for continuous emotional growth has been won could be the biggest mistake in our life today. Self-satisfaction is a tougher enemy than discouragement. Overconfidence can make us open to self-importance and a target for failure.

Watchfulness has to be the guiding force in everyday living. We will always remember that people like us who once lived with despair usually find it more difficult to deal with success than with failure.

We can fight tendencies toward being smug by being alert to it. Watchfulness takes patience.

It would be easy to become complacent if I began to believe that all I had to do in recovery was to accept my problems and relax. As my sponsor says, “If we don’t grow, we gotta go.”

~ WISDOM TO KNOW ~ (More Daily Meditations For Men) ~

At the heart of the simple life is an emphasis on harmonious and purposeful living.

~ Duane Elgin ~

At some point, we all complain about the fast pace and complexity of modem life. We rush the kids to school or day care, and when we get to work, we practice multi-tasking, trying to be more efficient and productive. Driving home from work, we catch up on some phone calls. But somehow, as busy as we are, we are never led to that point of completion with calm and quiet—only to more busyness.

To have a simpler life, we have to consciously choose it. Busily running around and embracing more tasks does not open the door to simplicity. We can decide not to be frantic and scattered in our daily tasks. Instead we can be attentive, present in the moment, and focused on the one thing that is before us. Being in harmony with our surroundings is at least as important as efficiency. When we choose to push back against the hectic pace and move toward simplicity and harmony, we think more clearly, we know ourselves better, we make better choices, our physical health is stronger, and maybe we are actually more productive.

Today I will choose simplicity and harmony.

~ A WOMAN’S SPIRIT ~ (More Meditations For Women) ~

Today I will stop brooding—and start meditating.

~ Nancy T. ~

The Eleventh Step suggests that we meditate in order to know God’s will for us. Not recognizing how to do that at first, we mistakenly think that when we “shut up,” we’re meditating. But we eventually realize that quieting the mouth is not the same as quieting the mind.

To meditate—to free our minds of worries, snarling questions, and constant complaints— makes it possible for us to know the best step to take next. We are good at “getting quiet” (perhaps becoming sullen is a better description), but clearing our mind of all thoughts is not easy. With enough practice, however, we will begin to savor the meditative moments and seek them far more often. When that occurs, we’ll find the serenity we have been promised, the serenity we observe in others. We’ll also find we know how to handle those situations that used to baffle us.

I can figure out my next best move today if I quiet my mind long enough to receive God’s message.

~ TODAY I WILL DO ONE THING ~ (Daily Readings for Awareness and Hope) ~

I don’t have to stay depressed all day.

This morning I woke up again with a nightmare (not Fun!). I’m not surprised – They’ve been showing up now and then as I deal with this depression. At first I felt so bad I didn’t think I could get out of bed – but somehow I did. And then, somehow, I showered, ate, and took my medication. Somehow I completed my early morning routine.

I’m surprised by my strength (and pleased). This afternoon I feel better; in fact, I feel pretty good right now. I don’t feel tired or sad or guilty. I think I feel good enough to walk around the park. This change feels great.

I will spend five minutes today thinking about how a recovery plan helps me stay abstinent and stable.

~ BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT ~ (Inspiration and Support for Recovery) ~

If you listen, you get your own answers.

~ Walter C. ~

One of the wonderful things about a Twelve Step recovery program is that each of us gets to decide for ourselves what it means and how it works for us. How often do we stop to think about our place in the big picture? For most of us it hasn’t been an everyday experience. But when the program came into our lives, we were compelled to look at this — and compelled as well to figure out just what shape our Higher Power might take.

It was one of those tasks we needed to do early in recovery. People around us had a lot of different ideas. We talked a lot; listened even more. Finally our own ideas began to emerge. We began finding a relationship with God as we understood God. Over time it has changed, and will continue to change, as we journey through life. It’s comforting not to travel alone. As we grow in recovery, our ability to accept and understand a Higher Power will also continue to develop. With this growing relationship, we gain courage and serenity every day.

Today help me remember that my relationships with myself, my family and friends, and my environment are all enriched when I put God into each of these areas.

~ MORNING LIGHT ~ (Meditations to Begin Your Day) ~

A compromise is an arrangement whereby someone who can’t get exactly what he wants makes sure nobody else gets exactly what they want.

~ Barbara Florio Graham ~

Because recovery can seem like it is one struggle after another, you may feel as if you are constantly battling “enemies.” You may not take the time to ask yourself, “Are these enemies real or imagined?” Instead, you may strive to safeguard yourself against what you think are personal attacks by others, attempts to control you, or deliberate actions designed to set up roadblocks in your recovery. In doing so, you may withdraw from interacting with those who have the most experience or your best interests at heart.

When you are at a heightened level of defensiveness or feel vulnerable, you can easily misinterpret words and actions and blow things out of proportion. Then, your battle with another becomes real.

To foster a less volatile and more cooperative spirit, first bring your emotions under control. When you feel defensive, take a moment to ask, “Am I overreacting?” Listen more closely to the words of others. You may find what you thought was criticism is really someone reaching out to you in kindness and support.

Today I will remove my battle armor and really listen to others. I will be respectful of them and keep my emotions in check.

~ NIGHT LIGHT ~ (A Book Of Nighttime Meditations) ~

Little do [we] perceive what solitude is, and how far it extendeth, for a crowd is not company, and faces are but a gallery of pictures, and talk but a tinkling cymbal where there is no love.

~ Sir John Lubbock ~

Today we may be learning what friendship means to us. We may have found that time and the changes we’ve made have changed the cast of characters in our lives. Friends from the past may no longer be friends; people we never thought we would be close to may now be meaningful to us. Yet we may find it difficult to open up to these people and may hesitate to form friendships beyond a meeting hall or cup of coffee.

Friendship is based totally on trust of another person. Today we are working on trust issues. We are learning we need to take risks to feel comfortable with ourselves and others. Extending the hand of friendship to another or touching the hand extended toward us is the first step in getting to know others and letting them know us.

I can be a friend to another. I can take a risk to share myself and also let someone share with me.

~ DAY BY DAY ~ (Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts) ~

Exercising patience

To be patient means being willing to wait for fulfillment. We can head straight for our goal of becoming clean and sober, asking for patience as we pause for the stoplights along the way and wait.

If we refuse to wait and plunge ahead, we are sure to go the long way around and per-haps lose sight of our objective in the process. We must always keep in mind that our objective is a clean and sober way of thinking and living. We must have patience or our objective will slip away.

Do I exercise patience?

Higher Power, help me to do the things today that will make me ready. Help me to be willing to wait for the right things.

I will exercise patience today by

God help me to stay clean and sober today!

~ IF YOU WANT WHAT WE HAVE ~ (Sponsorship Meditations) ~

The door must either be shut or be open.

~ OLIVER GOLDSMITH ~

Newcomer

Step Three begins with the words “Made a decision . . .” Sometimes I wonder whether I did make a decision to come here. I felt desperate; there really wasn’t any choice.

Sponsor

Many of us have felt the desperation you speak of and saw this program as our last chance. Some of us came here to placate another person, to help a friend we thought needed recovery, or because a court of law required us to. Some of us came here with willingness and eager curiosity; we sensed that we were “home” right from the beginning. Others were reluctant and skeptical. Though each of us had to make a conscious decision to come to a meeting, it may feel as if something more than our own intentions got us here.

Now that we’re here, we still have to make the decision to stay sober. We can elect to embrace recovery, or we can reject it and turn ourselves back over to addiction. We pray each day for the courage to remain in recovery. No one can force us to choose life and love, but it’s here, if we have the willingness to choose it.

Today, it’s easy and natural to make decisions that support my recovery.

~ THE EYE OPENER ~

Man has taken the raw materials of Nature and created works of such beauty and power as to be second only to Nature itself, yet only an insignificant few have contributed materially in this work.

For the most part, man crawls through life on a plane but slightly higher than brute creation. The train of progress has a thousand deadheads for every paying passenger.

We are no longer bums but passengers on the train of progress who have not only paid our fare but are willing to get out and push when the going gets tough.

~ WALK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG BOOK ~ (Official & Unofficial Sloganeering From the 12 Step Programs) ~

1) It’s hard to be Grateful when you’re Hateful.

2) Motivate, don’t denigrate.

3) Keep the focus on yourself, but once the picture is taken, move on.

~ The 12 STEP PRAYER BOOK ~ (A Collection of Favorite 12 Step Prayers and Inspirational Readings) ~

Self-Respect Prayer

O God, teach me that self-respect cannot be hunted It cannot be purchased. It is never for sale. It comes to me when I am alone, in quiet moments, in quiet places, when I suddenly realize that, knowing the good, I have done it; knowing the beautiful, I have served it; knowing the truth, I have spoken it.

~ AROUND THE YEAR WITH EMMET FOX ~ (A Book of Daily Readings) ~

HOW TO DESTROY YOUR HEALTH

Get emotional and excited over every trifling occurrence, especially if it is no concern of yours.

Eat and drink indiscriminately. Your stomach is only a sink, anyway, and being make of cast iron, will stand anythin.

Cut down on your sleep. This is an excellent way to undermine the nervous system.

Never relax. That would give the body a chance to recuperate.

Avoid all exercise. Exercise promotes circulation.

Read as much as you can about diseases and ailments. Your public library will carry many suitable books.

Discuss your own ailments at great length and, if you have had an operation, give dramatic little lectures about it at every opportunity.

Take good care of your dog, and your horse, and your automobile, but neglect your body. The bible says that your body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit, and to go against the Bible is always a good shortcut to trouble.

… If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the Lord thy God, and will do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statues, I will put none of these diseases upon thee

… for I am the Lord that healeth thee (Exodus 15:26).

~ A DEEP BREATH OF LIFE ~ (365 Daily Inspirations for Heart-Centered Living) ~

Get Fired

If you aren’t fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm.

~ Vince Lombardi ~

Andrew was an attorney who hated law but loved computers. It was no surprise, then, that when his firm went bankrupt Andrew researched bankruptcy laws and recorded his notes on his computer. After several months, he realized that he had arranged a wealth of information in a way that no one else had. Andrew took his notes and computer program to some executives at Apple Computers, who were so impressed by what he had done that they offered him a handsome sum of money to develop the program. Now he works with enthusiasm as a legal program consultant for Apple.

The key ingredient for success is enthusiasm. You can have a wealth of skills, but if your heart is not fully present, you will feel unfulfilled, and your work will reflect it. If you have enthusiasm, you will find the energy to acquire the necessary skills and draw to you all the people and support you need to succeed.

We dishonor ourselves and others by staying in positions out of familiarity or obligation. If you tolerate boredom or compromise, the universe will fire you so you can be in your right place where you can really be fired. The word enthusiasm comes from the Latin de Teos, meaning “from God.” Whenever you are enthusiastic about something, no matter what it is, you are in God. When you act without excitement, you have strayed from your source. If it is not a “Hell, yes!,” it is a “No.” If you practice this principle, you will be in your right place, you will feel fulfilled, and miracles will happen through you.

Give me the courage to live from enthusiasm and not fear.

I do what I love, and the universe fulfills me and everyone I affect.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote