Thread: HOW IT WORKS!
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #1
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default HOW IT WORKS!

Quote:
“Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path” (Big Book p. 58).

The people who fail do so because they cannot be honest with themselves. It’s called denial and those who continue to deny their illness cannot recover. Those of us who can make the decision to be honest now find that even honesty is not enough. We must be willing to go to any lengths and even then we are only ready to move forward. It works when we can open our hearts and our minds and become teachable. It works when we can acknowledge a Higher Power to protect us even though we might not always turn everything
over to Him.
HOW! How it works, honesty, open-mindedness and willingness. I thought I had honesty first because I thought I was cash register honest and thought I didn't lie, I was raised to tell a lie was a 'sin' and heaven forbid that I should bring down the wrath of God by doing such a thing. What I found out was that I stole attention, affectIon, time, and many other things that were not mine to take. Self-honesty was the last things I was a process and as I worked the steps, I was able to get more and more honest.

My mind was open, but it was conditional. I knew that my best thinking got me to the doors of recovery. I knew that I had to change my way of thinking but I wasn't too sure that I was willing to accept yours any more than I was willing to let mine go. I learned that if I kept my mind open, that I would hear what I needed to hear, when I needed to hear it.

Willing! Willing to go any length to stay sober. Willing to go to meetings. Willing to work the Steps. Willing to get a sponsor. Even more important, was the willingness to call her, in good times as well as the bad times.

Not always sure, how it works, just know it does. When I do the basics, do what is suggested, go to meetings, get a sponsor, get a group, get active and not pick up, no matter what. Not only not my drug of choice but not substituting one for the other. I stayed sick a long time because of it. I tried my way and my way didn't work.

Posted on another site in 2010

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links