View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 01:18 AM   #6
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Tuesday, May 6, 2014

You are reading from the book Food for Thought

Communicating

If we do not tell people what is troubling us, they cannot help. We have sometimes been too proud or too shy to let others know what we were feeling. Rather than trying to communicate with those close to us, we ate. Eating instead of communicating further increased our isolation and unhappiness.

Exposing our feelings makes us vulnerable, and we often fear that we will be hurt or rejected. We may be trying to preserve a false image of ourselves as self-sufficient and free of problems. Whatever the reasons for our unwillingness to communicate, we are cheating ourselves. By "clamming up," we cut ourselves off from the care and support of those who love us.

Honest sharing between individuals opens the way for growth and change. By expressing our thoughts and feelings out loud to another person, we become better able to understand and deal with whatever is bothering us. More important, we deepen our relationships with family and friends when we are willing to communicate on a meaningful level.

Give me courage to communicate.
Something I didn't do well. One of the reasons my two marriages failed. Partly because I got slapped if I didn't say the right thing and because I didn't know I had a right to say.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote