View Single Post
Old 08-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
Salt4wa

Thanks for your response. I appreciate you being open and non-judgmental on this subject. Per my "other Big Book" I've sought the council of others in this decision. There is a divided response toward medical marijuana. Some of my fellow alcoholics are very open and accepting of it, if the use of it is thought through and not for recreational purposes. Others (mostly those who have never used marijuana) are scared of it and tell me it is a gateway drug.

I know in the past ('70's) I used it for recreation combined with any other drug I could get. I've left that life behind. Alcohol became my drug of choice and that turned on me to become my master. Only by the grace of God and what He has given me through AA am I sober today.

This is not a decision I'm making quickly. A review of recent research shows that marijuana is helpful in treating glaucoma. Also, I have been taking narcotic pain meds (for degenerative spinal disease) at prescribed dosage for 3 + years. Had spine surgery last October but did not relieve pain. I'm concerned about long term affects of the addictive meds and over coming my dependence on narcotics. Again, the literature shows that marijuana is helpful for reducing nerve pain in place of narcotics.

Through this all, I've been able to stay sober one day at a time by the grace of my Higher Power and what He has given me in the AA program. I would like to get first hand feed back from anybody that is using marijuana for medical reasons: What is your experience? Did you find it beneficial? Did you find it lead you toward relapse in alcoholism? etc . . .
Salt4wa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Salt4wa For Sharing: