View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 03:13 AM   #26
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 26

Wisdom for Today

We also find strength in our failures. I know this sounds strange, but it is true. Throughout my recovery process, I have had a variety of setbacks and challenges in which I experienced failure. I am not talking about relapse, although this was a part of my experience, too. What I am talking about are the everyday failures we all experience. As I worked my way though the steps, I have fallen flat on my face on more than one occasion. As I struggled with my Fourth Step, I found it hard to be rigorously honest. In facing my character defects, I learned that some of them I liked and did not want to give them up, or I didn't know how. In making amends, I found some old resentments. All along the way I have found periods of failure. Yet in these failures I also found the strength to try again and again until I found success. In each of these failures, I was forced to go back to my Higher Power and ask for help again, and each time I was given new strength.

Personally I have come to believe that life was not meant to be one success after another. It is filled with both success and failure. One thing I have learned is that I need to turn to God in both the times of success and the times of defeat. In my success I must be grateful to my Higher Power for showing me the way. In failure I am taken back to the essence of Step Three. I turn it over, and I am given the courage to try again. This spiritual principle is one of the wonders of life in recovery. If I entrust both my success and failures to my Higher Power, I am sure to come out okay in the long run. The strength that is gained is both from gratitude for what Our Higher Power does for us and for what we cannot do on our own. Wondrously our Higher Power even celebrates with us when we find success. Do I learn from my failures and ask God for strength to try again?

Meditations for the Heart

Where does this wonderful power and strength come from? Men conquer nations, and men become great leaders. Some people become very wealthy, and others become famous. But these things all pass. The power I am talking about is the power to conquer self. Within my being is an addict and alcoholic that is always trying to come out and take control again. Yet I can say that just for today, I do not need to let the addict out to play. I do not have to let the alcoholic take control again. God's power is the greatest power in the universe, and He is willing to share this wonderful power with me. It is free for the asking. Each time I ask, I am rewarded with one more victory in this life of recovery. Sometimes the victories are small, and other times it seems as though mountains have been moved for me. Do I see God's power working for me in my everyday life?

Petitions to my Higher Power

God,
I pray that I may open myself to the power that You provide. Give me courage to learn from my failures, and help me to find the power to conquer self. Let me turn to You for direction each step that I take on this pathway of recovery.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: