Old 12-01-2014, 02:53 AM   #1
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default FOOD FOR THOUGHT - OA FOR DECEMBER 2014

Quote:
Monday, December 1, 2014

You are reading from the book Food for Thought

Emotional Distress

In the past, we translated emotional distress into physical hunger. Physical hunger was something we could deal with when emotional pain was too much for us. The reason our hunger was not satisfied by any amount of food was that the hunger was really distressed emotion.

If as children we were unable to recognize and express our distress, we buried it. As adults, we may still have ignored painful feelings and tried to make them go away with quantities of food and drink. Eventually, we became so dishonest with ourselves that we did not know what it was we really felt. We may have pretended for so long that everything was fine that we believed it. The telltale sign that all was not fine was our compulsive overeating behavior.

When we abstain, we sometimes fear that we will be overwhelmed with the emotional pain that is no longer buried with food. By turning this distress over to our Higher Power, we are able to survive it and learn from it.

I give You the pain that I cannot handle.
Such comforting words, instead of picking up we can reach out. We can go within and find the courage, strength, and guidance we need.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links