Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2021, 05:24 AM   #16
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 16

A Prayer For Common Sense
Lord, give me the common sense to do common sense things.
Give me the wisdom to see things as they are and not as I want them to be or as I hope for them to be.
Show me the way to use what you have given me rather than letting me long for things I do not have or cannot use.
In your ways of working in the world, let the light you have given me be a light for others.
When I want to go about my life and build castles in the sky, show me the needs of those around me who hunger for the most humble abodes.
When I tend to overlook the most common of people, places, and things, show me these people, places, and things are made by you.
Show me the most common people, places, and things are given to me as an opportunity to let your light shine in the world.
When I think I need special people, places, things, and circumstances to do your work, show me they are already within my grasp through you.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When drinking we did not practice any self-discipline.

We alcoholics used so little self control when we were drinking; we were so absolutely selfish, that it does us good to give up something once in a while. Using self-discipline and denying ourselves a few things is good for us. At first, giving up alcohol is a big enough job for all of us, even with God's help. But later on, we can practice self-discipline in other ways to keep a firm grip on our minds so that we don't start any wishful thinking. If we daydream too much, we'll be in danger of slipping.

So ............

Am I practicing enough self-discipline?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Expectations

Having too high expectations is a set-up for disappointment. Expectations that are high lend themselves to a fantasy life, and reality can never match our fantasies. When we get hooked on fantasies, somehow thinking they are reality, or should be reality, we are vulnerable to the hurt that accompanies the emergence of "the real." Then we feel cheated - bitter: "Why did this have to happen to me?"

Having too high expectations was a familiar feeling before recovery. And it remains familiar to us, even now. Dreams and aspirations aren't wrong. In fact, they beckon us on to better and greater things. But dreams of what we can become through responsible choices are quite different from idle expectations of what will or should be.

I will be open and receptive to reality and its gifts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunlight

He said, "Why don't you choose your own conception of God?"
That statement hit me hard. It melted the icy intellectual mountain in whose shadow I had lived and shivered many years. I stood in the sunlight at last. It was only a matter of being willing to believe in a Power greater than myself.
Nothing more was required of me to make my beginning.

Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 12

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Common sense is the knack of seeing things as they are, and doing things as they ought to be done.” – Josh Billings
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply