Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2014, 02:35 AM   #4
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
We could use a little clarification in the differences between the following as applied to the Fourth Step:-

1. Selfish

2. Self - Centered

3. Self - Seeking

Any and all input is welcome. Thanks for your help.

Arlene
From a Big Book Dictionary:

Selfishness=(noun) stinginess resulting from a concern for your own welfare and a disregard of others

Self-centeredness=(adj) limited to or caring only about yourself and your own needs

Self-seeking=(noun) taking advantage of opportunities without regard for the consequences for others.

Quote:
"First, we searched out the flaws in our make-up which caused our failure. Being convinced that self, manifested in various ways, was what had defeated us, we considered its common manifestations."

"Referring to our list again. Putting out of our minds the wrong others had done, we resolutely look for our own mistakes. Where had we been selfish, dishonest, self-seeking and frightened? Though a situation had not been entirely our fault, we tried to disregard the other person involved entirely. Where were we to blame? The inventory was ours, not the other man's. When we saw our faults we listed them. We placed them before us in black and white. We admitted our wrongs honestly and were willing to set these matters straight."

"We reviewed our own conduct over the years past. Where had we been selfish, dishonest, or inconsiderate? Whom had we hurt? Did we unjustifiably arouse jealousy, suspicion and bitterness? Where were we at fault, what should we have done instead? We got this all down on paper and looked at it. .........We subjected each relation to this test--was it selfish or not? We asked God to mold our ideals and help us to live up to them. We remembered always that our sex powers were God-given and therfore good, neither to be used lightly or selfishly nor to be despised and loathed."

You'll note that self-centered isn't used in relation to the fourth step(in the Big Book), though selfishness and self-seeking are. All three are manifestations of the 'self' that page 62 readily defines as the root of my problems as an alcoholic.

Selfishness is stinginess..........'MINE'!
Self-centeredness is 'the world revolves around me and what I want, think, and AM..........ain't I special'
Self-seeking is 'I'll take that opportunity at your cost, you moron!'

Been known to engage in those manifestations once or twice myself........LOL

~~~True ambition is the deep desire to live usefully and walk humbly under the grace of G-d.~~~

Graced
Posted on another site in 2004

At the moment, can't think of putting it any better than what was said above.

All I know is that they are part of my disease and I needed a spiritual healing on my attitude and change the stinking thinking to healthy thoughts.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply