Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12-01-2020, 04:55 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default A Prayer & Some Thoughts - December

December 1

Prayer in Time of Trouble

Lord, in every need let me come to You with humble trust saying, "Lord, help me."
In all my doubts, perplexities, and temptations, Lord, help me.
In hours of loneliness, weariness, and trials, Lord, help me.
In the failure of my plans and hopes; in disappointments, troubles, and sorrows, Lord, help me.
When others fail me and Your grace alone can assist me, help me.
When my heart is cast down by failure at seeing no good come from my efforts, Lord, help me.
When I feel impatient and irritable, Lord, help me.
When I am ill and my head and hands cannot work and I am lonely, Lord, help me.
Always, always, in spite of weakness, falls, and shortcomings of every kind, Lord, help me.
Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought
Getting sober was a long and painful journey, but we can truthfully say it was worth it.

We know now that all we've been through led us to A.A. and was part of our spiritual journey. We found in A.A. what we had been vainly seeking in the bottle. We've learned that our journey goes on as we continue to deal with our shortcomings and the human problems everybody must face. And when we reach a crossroads or a roadblock, we know that our Higher Power will come to our aid in making the right choices and surmounting all obstacles.

So ............

Do I turn to my Higher Power to sustain me as I continue the spiritual journey that brought me to A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Patience with Myself

Today, I will be patient with myself. When I do not do as well as I wish I would, I will not make that a reason to get down on myself. I will instead recognize that the fastest way to bring myself out of a painful funk is through understanding and being good to myself. I needn’t get caught in my own cycle of shame, resentment and blame. If a child is upset, I comfort the child because I understand that is what will makes things better. I give myself the same comfort that I would extend to a hurt child knowing that it will help me have the strength to forgive and move on
(from: Tian Dayton PhD)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spiritual Experience

A "spiritual experience" to me meant attending meetings, seeing a group of people, all there for the purpose of helping each other; hearing the Twelve Steps and the Twelve Traditions read at a meeting, and hearing the Lord's Prayer, which in an AA meeting has such great meaning -- "Thy will be done, not mine." A spiritual awakening soon came to mean trying each day to be a little more thoughtful, more considerate, a little more courteous to those with whom I came in contact.

Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition Page 356

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“It is not how much you do, but how much love you put into the doing and sharing with others that is important. Try not to judge people. If you judge others then you are not giving love.” -- Mother Teresa

We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2020, 04:32 AM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 2

A Prayer Today

God, forgive me where I have been resentful, selfish, dishonest or afraid.
Help me to not keep anything to myself but to discuss it all openly with another person – show me where I owe an apology and help me make it.
Help me to be kind and loving to all people.
Lord, Use me in the mainstream of life.
Free me of worry, remorse or morbid (sick) reflections that I may be of usefulness to others.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I have real friends where I had none before.

My drinking companions could hardly be called my real friends, though when drunk we seemed to have the closest kind of friendship. My idea of friendship has changed. Friends are no longer people whom I can use for my own pleasure or profit. Friends are now people who understand me and I them, whom I can help and who can help me to live a better life. I have learned not to hold back and wait for friends to come to me, but to go half way and to be met half way, openly and freely.

So ............

Does friendship have a new meaning for me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Accent on the Present

We are/were often obsessed with the past. We would rehash old hurts and resentments, old fears and desires. Our dreams, along with our waking hours, may have been filled with people from our past.

Such preoccupation with the past prevented us from focusing on the present. If we are to be alive in the present, we need to let go of the past. What is over is over and cannot be replayed except in our minds.

What we can do is turn our memories over to our Higher Power for healing. The creative Spirit, which is not bound by time, can take away old hurts and resentments. Then we are free to deal with the present and concentrate on doing God's will for us now, today. Living in the present keeps us in touch with God, who restores us to sanity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Past

Showing others who suffer how we were given help is the very thing which makes life seem so worthwhile to us now. Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have-- the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 124

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Renew, release, let go. Yesterday’s gone. There’s nothing you can do to bring it back. You can’t “should’ve” done something. You can only DO something. Renew yourself. Release that attachment. Today is a new day!” -- Steve Maraboli
Old 12-03-2020, 03:55 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 3

Prayer When Overwhelmed

Dear God,
We desperately want to give all these anxious thoughts over to you, but many times we don’t even know how to fully let go. Please help us release our cares to you. We’ve been carrying things you never asked us to carry; they’ve weighed us down and made us afraid. But you Lord, are the burden lifter, the One who knows our way. Thank you for your great compassion for your children. We are lost and overwhelmed without you. No matter the struggles we’re facing today, we believe in your faithfulness to see us through.
Amen
-- Simon Robben

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Today, I have more peace and contentment.

Life has fallen into place. The pieces of the jigsaw puzzle have found their correct position. Life is whole, all of one piece. I am not cast hither and yon on every wind of circumstance or fancy. I am no longer a dry leaf cast up and away by the breeze. I have found my place of rest, my place where I belong. I am content. I do not vainly wish for things I cannot have. I have "the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference. "

So ............

Have I found contentment in A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Instant Satisfaction

As we have reached for instant cures, one-minute answers, and quick highs, we have developed lifestyles that foreclosed deeper possibilities.

Today, our greatest temptation may be to grab for the fast solutions rather than allowing time for small but important steps to occur. When we are frustrated, it will help to remember the difficulty may lie in our insistence on a quick answer. Sometimes simply being true to ourselves and standing as a witness while the answer develops are all that is asked of us.

This day, I will have faith that time is on my side and it will teach me valuable things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trudge the Road of Happy Destiny

“Trudge: To walk slowly and with heavy steps, typically because of exhaustion or harsh conditions. I think that this describes almost perfectly the way sobriety can be at times, especially early recovery. The transition of mind and body from a seemingly hopeless state of pain and darkness to one of contentment, peace, and ease is a hard road. Getting sober is taxing and life doesn’t stop just because I’ve decided to live differently. But the pivotal part of this phrase for me is ‘Happy Destiny.’ I know that by putting one foot in front of the other regardless of painful emotions and seemingly endless work, I move ahead. And there are great moments of joy and peace along the way as I rediscover life. I am traveling towards a place of serenity, connectedness, and ultimately freedom. My horizons are awe-inspiring.”

“Matching calamity with serenity.”

“Getting comfortable with the uncomfortable.”

“It reminds me that I have to work for my happiness. In active alcoholism, I always expected for it to just come to me. That I would somehow magically acquire something I perceived other people as having. I work towards the promises because I believe them. I’ve seen them in my own life and in the lives of the people in recovery that I love. Maybe what Bill W. meant by ‘trudge’ was ‘work.’ I have to put in the effort it, but I always see that effort rewarded. And I don’t have to ‘trudge’ the road alone. I have awesome people with me on the way. And that makes everything and everyday doing it much more worth it, and that much easier.”

“Sometimes life is not going to be perfect and there will always be twists and turns. But if I continue to do the next right thing, feed my spiritual life, and trust my higher power then I will have nothing but a beautiful and fulfilling destiny awaiting me.”

-- Taylor L., Statesboro, GA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“I fall, I stand still ... I trudge on. I gain a little ... I get more eager and climb higher and begin to see the widening horizon. Every struggle is a victory.” -- Helen Keller
Old 12-04-2020, 05:04 AM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 4

Prayer To Let Go Of My Fears And Worries

Lord,
I pray that in Your mercy and kindness You would help me to simply let go of all the fears and worries, problems and doubts, guilt and disappointments that seem to be filling my heart and mind so often, during the course of a day.

Fill my hurting soul with Your love and peace I pray. Fill the emptiness and pain that is tearing my life asunder. Lord, You know what is in my heart and why I am going through this time of fear and worry. Help me Lord, to hand them over to You.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Since I've been in A.A., have I made a start toward becoming more honest?

Do I no longer have to lie to my loved ones? Do I try to have meals on time, and do I try to earn what I make at work? Am I trying to be honest? Have I faced myself as I really am and have I admitted to myself that I'm no good by myself, but have to rely on God to help me do the right thing?

So ............

Am I beginning to find out what it means to be alive and to face the world honestly and without fear?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Take the Pressure Off

Sometimes we need a little pressure to get moving, but sometimes we put too much pressure on ourselves. We begin to believe that only by worry and fear and pressuring ourselves can we got the job done. That kind of pressure doesn’t get the job done any better or faster. It simply makes you tense and fearful, and stops the creative juices.

We have responsibilities. We have time frames and commitments to others. And there are times when we need to get the job done. But the most pressing job can be done best when we’re relaxed. The most urgent decision can be made most clearly when we’re at peace. It doesn’t help to force ourselves to go faster, be somewhere else, or be someone we’re not. There are few things we need to do that can be enhanced by becoming tense, fearful, and worried. The more pressing the situation, the more pressing the need to be present for ourselves, and be present for each moment.

Let off some steam. Release your emotions. Clear the pathway to the heart. The answer will come. The job will get done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More Than

But life among Alcoholics Anonymous is more than attending gatherings and visiting hospitals. Cleaning up old scrapes, helping to settle family differences, explaining the disinherited son to his irate parents, lending money and securing jobs for each other, when justified these are everyday occurrences. No one is too discredited or has sunk too low to be welcomed cordially if he means business.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 161

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“We must be willing to let go of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” -- Joseph Campbell
Old 12-05-2020, 04:49 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 5

Prayer For Right Choice

Dear God,
I know that You can open doors that no man can ever shut.
It’s not always easy for me to see and sense the direction I need to take.
So today, I trust and ask You to lead me to open doors of opportunity that you have prepared for me.
Help me make sense of the options that lay before me and help me see and make the right choices today.
Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Since I've been in A.A., have I made a start toward becoming more loving to my family and friends?

Do I visit my parents? Am I more appreciative of my spouse than I was before? Am I grateful to my family for having put up with me? Have I found real understanding with my children? Do I feel that the friends I've found in A.A. are real friends? Do I believe that they are always ready to help me and do I want to help them if I can?

So ............

Do I really care now about other people?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Fear of Giving

It is often the fear of rejection, which makes us afraid to give of ourselves. If our self-image is too grand and inflated, we cannot possibly live up to it in reality. Expecting ourselves to be perfect sets us up for frustration and fear, since we know deep down that we do not measure up to our image of perfection.

By focusing more on the needs of others and less on the imaginary concept of ourselves, which is our ego, we learn to overcome our fear of giving. With humility comes the willingness to give of what we have and what we are right now, without waiting until we are more eloquent or more accomplished. I should not be afraid to give of myself to others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Willingness

All we need is a key, and the decision to swing the door open. There is only one key, and it is called willingness. Once unlocked by willingness, the door opens almost of itself, and looking through it, we shall see an inscription. It reads: "This is the way to a faith that works."

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 34

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"We cannot lead a choiceless life. Every day, every moment, every second, there is a choice. If it were not so, we would not be an individuals." -- Ernest Holmes
Old 12-06-2020, 05:00 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 6

Hoarding Prayer

Lord, the materialistic temptation to gather and hoard is in us all. Self-protectionism and the false narrative of scarcity make for a toxic brew that we quaff on any normal day, let alone in the middle in this pandemic. Forgive our hoarding hearts that know too well the rhythmic patterns of wanting more, taking more, storing up more. By the power of your abundant grace, turn us inward-out that we may recognize the call to place our trust in you alone. Help us release a hold on material things and grip tightly to the treasures of heaven: kindness, mercy, justice, reconciliation, acts of charity, and love for all. This we pray for ourselves, for each other, and for the world you hold dear.
Amen.

~~ Justin Lind-Ayres

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Offer new prospects friendship and fellowship.

Tell them that if they want to get well you will do anything to help. Burn the idea into the consciousness of new prospects that they can get well, regardless of anyone else. Job or no job, spouse or no spouse, they cannot stop drinking as long as they place dependence on other people ahead of dependence on God. Let no alcoholic say they cannot recover unless they have their family back. This just isn't so. Their recovery is not dependent upon other people. It is dependent on their own relationship with God.

So ............

Can I recognize all excuses made by a prospect?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Denial

Denial is a defense mechanism in which a person is faced with a fact that is too uncomfortable to accept and rejects it instead, insisting that it is not true despite what may be overwhelming evidence. It is an unconscious refusal to admit or to recognize something that has occurred or is currently occurring.

Forcing ourselves - or anyone else - to face the truth usually doesn't help. We won't face the facts until we are ready. We won't admit to the truth until we feel safe, secure, and prepared enough to deal and cope with it.

The first step toward moving through denial is accepting that we may be in denial, and then gently allowing ourselves to move through. Today do I feel safe and secure enough today to accept what I need to accept.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Atmosphere of Grace

Those of us who have come to make regular use of prayer would no more do without it than we would refuse air, food, or sunshine. And for the same reason. When we refuse air, light, or food, the body suffers. And when we turn away from meditation and prayer, we likewise deprive our minds, our emotions, and our intuitions of vitally needed support. As the body can fail its purpose for lack of nourishment, so can the soul. We all need the light of God's reality, the nourishment of His strength, and the atmosphere of His grace. To an amazing extent the facts of A.A. life confirm this ageless truth.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Pages 97-98

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Forgiveness means it finally becomes unimportant that you hit back.” -- Anne Lamott
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 12-07-2020, 04:46 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 7

Prayer For Today’s Tasks

Lord, I stand before You today in Your presence to ask that You grant me strength.
I ask You to give me the strength to power through all of the tasks today — whether little or big.
It is by Your will that I live oh Lord. And I know it is also by Your will I will not go weak today.
Lord, thank you for giving me the opportunity everyday to learn a little more of how to let go and let God.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When I was drinking, I was absolutely selfish, I thought of myself first, last, and always.

The universe revolved around me at the center. When I woke up in the morning with a hangover, my only thought was how terrible I felt and about what I could do to make myself feel better. And the only thing I could think of was more liquor. To quit was impossible. I couldn't see beyond myself and my own need for another drink.

So ............

Can I now look out and beyond my own selfishness?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Moderation

Moderation is the process of eliminating or lessening extremes. It is used to ensure normality throughout the medium on which it is being conducted. ... A way of life emphasizing perfect amounts of everything, not indulging in too much of one thing, hence moderation.

When there's moderation in everything, from food and drinks to sleeping and working, a person is more likely to feel as if they are in control of their life, and all the decisions they're making are more likely to bring them joy than make them feel miserable, as is often the case with going to either of the extremes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Design

We, in our turn, sought the same escape with all the desperation of drowning men. What seemed at first a flimsy reed, has proved to be the loving and powerful hand of God. A new life has been given us or, if you prefer, "a design for living" that really works.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 28

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Recovery is something that you have to work on every single day, and it’s something that it doesn’t get a day off.” -- Demi Lovato
Old 12-08-2020, 04:23 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 8

Morning Prayer of the Optina Elders

O Lord, grant me to greet the coming day in peace, help me in all things to rely upon your holy will.
In every hour of the day reveal your will to me.
Bless my dealings with all who surround me.
Teach me to treat all that comes to throughout the day with peace of soul and with firm conviction that your will governs all.
In all my deeds and words, guide my thoughts and feelings.
In unforeseen events, let me not forget that all are sent by you.
Teach me to act firmly and wisely, without embittering and embarrassing others.
Give me strength to bear the fatigue of the coming day with all that it shall bring.
Direct my will, teach me to pray.
And you, yourself, pray in me.
Amen.

-- St. Philaret of Moscow
(This is the English Translation)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I can do things that I never did before.

Liquor took away my initiative and my ambition. I couldn't get up the steam to start anything. I let things slide. When I was drunk, I was too inert to even comb my hair. Now I can sit down and do something. I can write letters that need to be written. I can make telephone calls that should be made. I can work in my garden. I can pursue my hobbies. I have the urge to create something, that creative urge that was completely stifled by alcohol. I am free to achieve again.

So ............

Have I recovered my initiative?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

True Happiness

We cannot find true happiness by looking for it. Seeking pleasure does not bring happiness in the long run, only disillusionment. Do not seek to have this fullness of joy by seeking pleasure. It cannot be done that way. Happiness is a by-product of living the right kind of life. True happiness comes as a result of living in all respects the way you believe God wants you to live, with regard to yourself and to other people.

I should not always seek pleasure as a goal; I should be content with the happiness that comes when I do the right thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Real Alcoholics

Despite all we can say, many who are real alcoholics are not going to believe they are in that class. By every form of self deception and experimentation, they will try to prove themselves exceptions to the rule, therefore nonalcoholic. If anyone who is showing inability to control his drinking can do the right about face and drink like a gentleman, our hats are off to him. Heaven knows, we have tried hard enough and long enough to drink like other people!

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 31

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do." -- Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)
Old 12-09-2020, 04:44 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 9

Simple Prayer of Gratitude

Thank you, Lord, for the blessings you have bestowed on my life. You have provided me with more than I could ever have imagined. You have surrounded me with people who always look out for me. You have given me family and friends who bless me every day with kind words and actions. They lift me up in many ways.

Also, thank you, Lord, for keeping me safe. You help me make better choices and provide me with advisors to help me with life’s difficult decisions. You speak to me in so many ways so that I always know you are here.

And Lord, I am so grateful for keeping those around me safe and loved. I hope that you provide me with the ability and sense to show them every day how much they matter. I hope that you give me the ability to give to them the same kindness they have provided to me.

I am extremely grateful for all of your blessings in my life, Lord. I pray that you remind me of just how blessed I am and that you never allow me to forget to show my gratitude in prayer and returned acts of kindness.

Thank you, Lord.

From a Prayer by Kelli Mahoney

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Alcoholics recover their faith in a Power greater than themselves.

They admit that they're helpless by themselves and they call on that Higher Power for help. They surrender their lives to God, as they understand Him. They put their drink problem in God's hands and leave it there. They recover their faith in a Higher Power that can help them.

So ............

Have I recovered my faith?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Perfect People

We may have spent much time and energy looking for perfect people to fulfill our lives. This process involves projecting our fond illusions onto those we meet, building them up way out of reality, and then being terribly disillusioned when extended and intimate acquaintance proves them to be just ordinary people.

Accepting our friends and family for what they are rather than what we idealize them to be is part of growing up emotionally. It is our own weakness and insecurity that causes us to try to make gods out of other people. As we learn to accept ourselves as less than perfect, we are able to reduce the unreasonable demands we make on others.

By not expecting perfection from others, we can love them as they are, encouraging their strengths and supporting their weaknesses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spiritual Kindergarten

We are only operating a spiritual kindergarten in which people are enabled to get over drinking and find the grace to go on living to better effect. Each man's theology has to be his own quest, his own affair.

As Bill Sees It Page 95

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Spiritual Strength is not weakened by unfortunate circumstances, but by lack of faith" -- Wayne Chiriso
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 12-10-2020, 05:00 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 10

Gratitude for the Simple Things

Thank you, God, for all your blessings to me and my family;
for the strength you give me each day and
for all the people around me who make life more meaningful.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I have lost many of my resentments.

I have found that getting even with people doesn't do any good. When we try to get revenge, instead of making us feel better, it leaves us frustrated and cheated. Instead of punishing our enemies, we've only hurt our own peace of mind. It does not pay to nurse a grudge; it hurts us more than anyone else. Hate causes frustration, inner conflict, and neurosis. If we give out hate, we will become hateful. If we are resentful, we will be resented. If we do not like people, people will not like us. Revengefulness is a powerful poison in our systems.

So ............

Have I lost my resentments?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Relationships

There is a gift for us in each relationship that comes our way. Sometimes the gift is a behavior we're learning to acquire: detachment, self esteem, becoming confident enough to set a boundary, or owning our power in another way.

Some relationships trigger healing in us. We find ourselves learning the most important lessons from the people we least expect to help us. We learn about loving ourselves or someone else.Or we'll learn to let others love us.We don't have to control this process.

I will try to open myself to the lesson and the gift from each person in my life. I will trust that I, too, am a gift in the other people's lives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No Reservation

We have seen the truth demonstrated again and again: "Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic." Commencing to drink after a period of sobriety, we are in a short time as bad as ever. If we are planning to stop drinking, there must be no reservation of any kind, nor any lurking notion that someday we will be immune to alcohol.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 33

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Expecting the world to be fair to you because you are a good person is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -- Vernon Davis
Old 12-11-2020, 05:47 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 11

Prayer for Facing This Day

Dear God,
Please give me strength when I am weak, love when I feel forsaken, courage when I am afraid,
wisdom when I feel foolish, comfort when I am alone, hope when I feel rejected,
and peace when I am in turmoil.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Today, I am less self-centered.

The world used to revolve around me at the center.
I cared more about my own needs, desires and my own pleasure, my own way, myself than I did about the whole rest of the world. What happened to me was more important than anything else I could think of. I was selfishly trying to be happy and therefore I was unhappy most of the time. I have found that selfishly seeking pleasure does not bring true happiness. Thinking of myself all the time cut me off from the best in life. A.A. taught me to care less about myself and more about the other person.

So ............

Today, am I less self-centered?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Humility

In our struggles with self-abasement, self-hate and guilt, which often alternates with feelings of superiority, is not the spiritual quality of humility.

With humility, we respect ourselves and our place in the universe. Humility is having ourselves in perspective, knowing we are connected to the whole world, accepting how small and powerless we are, and accepting the power and responsibility we have. With this spiritual feeling comes a sense of awe for the world we live in and a feeling of gratitude for the life we've been given.

The humility I feel today goes hand in hand with my self-respect and gratefulness for being part of life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life on Life's Terms

For years, I was sure the worst thing that could happen to a nice guy like me would be that I would turn out to be an alcoholic. Today, I find it's the best thing that has ever happened to me. This proves I don't know what's good for me. And if I don't know what's good for me, then I don't know what's good or bad for you or for anyone. So I'm better off if I don't give advice, don't figure I know what's best, and just accept life on life's terms, as it is today--especially my own life, as it actually is. Before AA, I judged myself by my intentions, while the world was judging me by my actions.

Alcoholics Anonymous Pages 449-450

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"I am open and willing to take a step forward in a new direction. I am no longer allowing myself to stay stuck by old thoughts and feelings. This new place is exciting and energizing." - -- Ruth Fishel
Old 12-12-2020, 02:53 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 12

An Amends Prayer

Dear God,
Now I pray for Your help in making me entirely ready to change my destructive patterns.
Give me the strength to deal with the character defects I’ve turned over to You.
Allow me to accept all the changes You want to make in me.
Help me to be the person You want me to be.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When I think of all who have gone before me, I realize that I am only one, not the most important, person.

What happens to me is not so very important after all. And A.A. has taught me to be more outgoing, to seek friendship by going at lest halfway, to have a sincere desire to help. I have more self-respect now that I have less sensitiveness. I have found that the only way to live comfortably with myself is to take a real interest in others.

So ............

Do I realize that I am not so important after all?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Discipline

Adults, as well as children need discipline to feel secure.

Discipline means ............
understanding there are logical consequences to our behavior.
taking responsibility for our behavior and the consequences.
learning to wait for what we want.
being willing to work for and toward what we want.
learning and practicing new behaviors.
being where we need to be, when we need to be there, despite our feelings.

Discipline is the day to day performing of tasks, whether these are behaviors or washing the dishes.
Discipline involves trusting that our goals will be reached though we cannot see them

Discipline can be grueling. We may feel afraid, confused, and uncertain. Later, we will see the purpose. But this clarity of sight usually does not come during the time of discipline.We may not even believe we're moving forward.But we are.

The task at hand during times of discipline is simple: listen, trust, and obey.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Truth, the Liberator

How truth makes us free is something that we A.A.'s can well understand. It cut the shackles that once bound us to alcohol. It continues to release us from conflicts and miseries beyond reckoning; it banishes fear and isolation. The unity of our Fellowship, the love we cherish for each other, the esteem in which the world holds us--all of these are products of the truth which, under God, we have been privileged to perceive.

As Bill Sees It Page 70

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"If today offers a challenge, be grateful. Challenges are gifts of awareness and growth." -- Anonymous A.A.
Old 12-13-2020, 04:41 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 13

Holiday Depression Prayer

Lord, it seems so silly and wrong to get so depressed about this up-coming holiday, but Lord You know that I find holidays quite difficult to cope with, and I know that I cannot break out of this cycle of holiday depression, without Your help and strength.

Show me what I ought to do in order to prevent this holiday. Teach me what to do when panicky thoughts start to fill up my mind and show me how to prevent those thoughts from taking hold of me, and pushing me back into a state of despair and depression. Lord, may I truly break free of this recurring holiday depression once and for all
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I am less critical of other people, inside and outside of A.A.

I used to run people down all the time. I realize now that it was because I wanted unconsciously to build myself up. I was envious of people who lived normal lives. I couldn't understand why I couldn't be like them. And so I ran them down. I called them sissies or hypocrites. I was always looking for faults in the other person. I loved to tear down what I called "a stuffed shirt" or "a snob." I have found that I can never make a person any better by criticism. A.A. has taught me this.

So ............

Am I less critical of people?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Anticipation

We wear ourselves out unnecessarily when we spend our energy anticipating the future rather than living in the present. To anticipate bad things is obviously detrimental. Also, it's needless, since most of the things we worry about never happen.

Anticipating future satisfactions can also be detrimental. We may build up some future pleasure in our minds to such an unrealistic pitch that the actual event is bound to be disappointing.

Accepting the here and now is what ensures our sanity and our serenity. Reality is never more than we can manage, with the help of our Higher Power. It is our anticipation of the future, which is unreal and dangerous.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Way Out

The tremendous fact for every one of us is that we have discovered a common solution. We have a way out on which we can absolutely agree, and upon which we can join in brotherly and harmonious action. This is the great news this book carries to those who suffer from alcoholism.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 17

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“It's not the burdens of everyday that drive men mad. It is the regret of yesterday and the fear of tomorrow. Regret and fear are twin thieves that rob us of today.” -- Unknown Author
Old 12-14-2020, 03:41 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 14

Another Serenity Prayer

God, grant me the serenity
To stop beating myself up for not doing things perfectly,
The courage to forgive myself because I’m working on doing better,
And the wisdom to know that You already love me just the way I am.

~ Eleanor Brownn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

People who have had a slip are ashamed of themselves - sometimes so ashamed that they fear to go back to A.A.

They develop the old inferiority complex and tell themselves that they are no good that they have let down their friends in A.A., that they are hopeless, and that they can never make it. This state of mind is perhaps worse than it was originally. They have probably been somewhat weakened by their slip. But their A.A. training cannot ever be entirely lost. They always know they can go back if they want to. They know there is still God's help for them if they will again ask for it.

So ............

Do I believe that I can never entirely lose what I have learned in A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Self Acceptance

To finally come to self acceptance. To accept and be comfortable in my own skin. That is one of the keys to life isn’t it?

To be done with perfectionism in all it’s forms. To learn to practice imperfection in all things in life. I’ve heard it said that in Japanese art when an object like a jar is broken they fill in the cracks with gold. The brokenness and imperfection is what makes the object even more valuable and beautiful. May I see imperfection in that way in my own life. As Leonard Cohen said, “Everything has a crack in it, that’s how the light gets in.”

To forgive myself because I’m in process and it’s all learning and I’ll never be done learning. The thought that life is one big experiment, frees me to experiment, explore and have fun. And I am working on doing better, I always want to improve and to learn more for the joy of it rather than having to prove anything to anyone or to get in good with God, but to become fully myself.

What I’m discovering in deeper ways in my life, is the greatest wisdom in life – is to believe, know, experience and soak in the love of God and to allow that love to overflow in my life so that I will love well – others and even myself. It’s a powerful truth to realize that God loves and accepts me just as I am, just the way I am. Grace is to accept the fact of your acceptance by God, no matter what.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Understanding

Gradually, however, God began to clear my channels so that real understanding began to come. Then was the time when full realization and acknowledgement came to me. It was realization and acknowledgement of the fact that I was full of self-pity and resentment, realization that I had not fully given my problems to God. I was still trying to do my own fixing.

Experience, Strength and Hope Page 22

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“No amount of self-improvement can make up for any lack of self-acceptance.” ~ Robert Holden
Old 12-15-2020, 05:18 AM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 15

Prayer for Comforting

Dear God,
Some days feel too hard. We’re hurting. Struggling.
Fighting fear and worry at every turn.
Thank you in the midst of it all, you haven’t left us to fend for ourselves.
Forgive us for doubting you are there.
Forgive us for thinking you’ve forgotten.
Forgive us for believing we somehow know the better way.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Who am I to judge other people?

Have I proved by my great success in life that I know all the answers? Exactly the opposite. Until I came into A.A., my life could be called a failure. I made all the mistakes one could make. I took all the wrong roads there were to take. On the basis of my record, am I a fit person to be a judge of other people? Hardly. In A.A. I have learned not to judge people. I am so often wrong. Let the results of what they do judge them. It's not up to me.

So ............

Am I less harsh in my judgment of people?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Taking Care of Ourselves

We do not have to wait for others to come to our aid. We are not victims. We are not helpless.

Letting go of faulty thinking means we realize there are no knights on white horses, no magical grandmothers in the sky watching, waiting to rescue us. Teachers may come our way, but they will not rescue. They will teach. People who care will come, but they will not rescue. We are our own rescuers.

Our relationships will improve dramatically when we stop rescuing others and stop expecting them to rescue us.

I will let go of the fears and self-doubt that block me from taking assertive action in my best interest. I can take care of myself and let others do the same for themselves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dependency

Plainly, I could not avail myself of God's love until I was able to offer it back to Him by loving others as He would have me. And I couldn't possibly do that as long as I was victimized by false dependencies. For my dependency meant demand -- a demand for the possession and control of the people and the conditions surrounding me.

The Best of Bill Page 56

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"There are two ways to slide easily through life: To believe everything or to doubt everything. Both ways save us from thinking." -- Alfred Korzybski
Post New ThreadReply