Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Family and Friends of Alcoholics and Addicts

Share This Forum!  

Family and Friends of Alcoholics and Addicts This forum is for families and friends whose lives have been affected by someone else's drinking and/or drug abuse.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2014, 03:42 AM   #1
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default Similarities/Differences

Quote:
Tuesday, February 18, 2014

You are reading from the book Today's Gift

United souls are not satisfied with embraces, but desire to be truly each other.
—Sir Thomas Browne

If hugs could melt, if kisses were made of nothing but pure air, if talkers always agreed, and if hearts all beat to the same drum, would we desire any longer to be truly each other? No two leaves on a tree turn the same way in the wind; no two fish in a school tread the same water; and no two people can live the same life. Therefore, when we hug let's leave some space; when we kiss let's allow each other to breathe; when we talk let's permit each other to disagree; when we love let's honor each other's rhythm and way.

Is it our similarities or differences that make us want to know each other better?
If I look for the similarities, I am identifying. If I look for the differences, I am comparing. It keeps me in my denial and think, "I am not that bad." It kept me sick for a long time. I not only compared my actions in active addiction, but compared my God to yours. It was the spirituality in the program that kept me clean and sober. I had a lot of anger at religions, which to me were abusive, man made, and had to take a spiritual quest to see who my God was to me. The spiritual aspects I could take from one fellowship to another one. I was raised in the Gospel Halls and my church didn't keep me from becoming an addict. I found that God was an old tape.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply