Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Lounge > General Forum

Share This Forum!  

General Forum A place to share about everything else.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
liz

Default Intervention/Getting over it

My family and friend held an "intervention" to get me back to meetings. I didn't argue or fight, but simply said OK when they said they wanted me to do a 90 in 90 and get a sponsor. Seemed reasonable. They then proceeded to make threats that if I didn't they would have my son taken away and how he might have to go live in TX w/ his dad (who has never even been involved) and one was mandated to report if I drink around him because she's a teacher (the law says when you know a child in a professional capacity you must report... not family/friends... seriously do your homework before you make these threats!)... they just went on about it after I'd said OK. It was almost a year ago they did this, and I still feel almost overwhelmed with how angry I feel about it. I think going on with their threats was SO unnecessary. I absolutely HATE that my anniversary is that day. I don't want to celebrate. So every year I can remember the day they made me feel small and like a piece of crap mom that doesn't deserve her kid. I'm having trouble getting over it. Are "interventions" supposed to suck so much????
liz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to liz For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2015, 06:24 PM   #2
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Dear Liz, thanks for sharing. Not sure the threats are part of the deal. I told my family and friends that if they were going to pray for me, to do it quietly so I couldn't hear, because the old 'excuse' was, "Don't tell me what to do, watch me." The old attitudes would move in and I know that for me, unless I was willing to quit, there was nothing any one else can do for me. I couldn't quit for my son, my family, my job, etc. I had to be willing to get help for myself. Someone said to me, "God doesn't make no junk, you are worthy of recovery."

I compared myself to others and didn't think I was that bad. I had to learn to identify with the disease (it is a disease), and look at where the alcohol and drugs took me. I realized that I hadn't done some of the things that others had done, but the key word was "Yet" and if I continued to use, I know that I would have died.

I had to change my attitude. I was at a stage, "Stop the world, I want to get off." I chose life. "Just for today, I choose not to use people, places, and things."

I could use, but I couldn't use safely. I was functional for many years, but I became unemployable and got to a stage where I was sick and tired of being tired and sick.

I went to AA for my denial. I knew I was an addict, my drug of choice was more! I didn't want to wear a label that I had put on my dad and my ex-husband. I cringed inside every time I said, "My name is JoAnne, I am an alcoholic." Today I know that they were a couple of drunks and I was the alcoholic, because I had the thinking behind the drinking. Thanks to the program of AA, that desire to use is gone. It was the 12 Steps for me, they gave me a new way of living, a new freedom and a new happiness.

God Bless.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MajestyJo For Sharing:
Old 10-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
AzmtnBkr1

Liz,

In order to succeed at your sobriety, you have to dig deep and let go of resentments. Especially the one's that piss us off more then most.

Easier said than done.

They love you even though they have a ****ed up way of showing it, but nonetheless they do.

Now look within and take A DEEP LOOK and brought them to this point.

HOW MANY TIMES DID YOU SAY YOU WOULD STOP? HOW MANY PROMISES DID YOU BREAK? WHAT ABOUT YOUR SON? SHOULD HE BE SUBJECTED TO YOUR BULL**** AND DISEASE?

Hard medicine? Hell yeah it is? Words mean nothing as a alocolhic. Work and ACTION speak VOLUMES.

TIME FOR TOUGHT LOVE.

HOW BAD DO YOU WANT TO BE SOBER?

HOW MUCH DO YOU LOVE YOUR SON?

**** THE REST OF THEM, they don't know about your struggle, BUT, YOU DO!

HOW BAD DO YOU WANT TO LIVE!?!?!?!?
Post New ThreadReply