Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Lounge > General Forum

Share This Forum!  

General Forum A place to share about everything else.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
yukonm
Administrator

Default Six Years!!

Well I am filled with JOY today!! I hit a milestone, 6 years of continuous recovery--free from ALL drugs and alcohol. Quite a feat for a wild-child of the 50's born and raised in San Francisco Haight-Ashbury district and hitting teenage years during the 60's Hippy Revolution when it was no holds barred. SEX, DRUGS AND ROCK & ROLL and I was in the middle of it all.

I am grateful to have survived over 40 years of abusing many, many substances. Who knew that what I thought was the most horrible day of my life would be the turning point that would lead to a life full of peace beyond measure. At 53 years old, I found myself in the back of a police car guilty of offenses that could have landed me in prison for 10 years (how I had managed to avoid this type of trouble before is any one's guess). Thank God for a judge that gave me an opportunity to prove I could be a productive citizen. It wasn't easy.......court appointed drug and alcohol awareness classes, count appointed 12-step meetings, random drug and alcohol testing AND 5 years probation not to mention court fees, probation fees and oh yes attorney fees.

What did happen was that once my body was free from the chemicals.....my thinking became clearer. I listened to the information that helped me to understand why I chose to escape rather than face life. I surrounded myself with people who seemed to have the skills to walk through everyday life situations both good and bad. For a long time I just mimicked....that was OK because it worked. True hope came when I was willing to believe that change from the inside was the key.

The resentment turned into gratitude. Those gifts that would keep me sober no longer seemed like tasks but tools and a gift. Although I embraced my recovery about two years in, the real test came once all the court stuff was over. I am happy to say that I truly have found a new way of living. I believe that I must work to maintain my recovery each and every day and I am grateful for the tools that I have to help me do that. Prayer, reading, meditation and reaching out to others is how I begin my day......grounded in recovery and spiritually centered.

I am happy to be a part of this wonderful community.

Today I am treating myself to a spa day and dinner at Joe's Crab shack. Wishing everyone a wonderful day!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6years.jpg (10.1 KB, 8 views)
yukonm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yukonm For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply