Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Weekly Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Weekly Spiritual Meditations - 8/30

When we give God’s love to others, we receive it back a hundredfold.

God is always closer than we think.

When we accept God’s unconditional love and let God guide our lives, we can step back and let go, then we can feel that our lives are meaningful and fully become a joy for others.

When we feel shut out or isolated, remember that we can never be lost to God’s love.

When we feel lost, it may be because we are looking everywhere but to God for our help and guidance.

When we feel we are not as close to God as we used to be, guess who moved, hint, it was not God.

When we get praise, give God the credit.

If you don’t know how to pray, ask God to teach you how to pray.

What Do You Fear to Hear? By Mark Phillips
Of all the things our modern, electrically-powered society has destroyed, none is so easily overlooked as "silence." A century ago, a world without radios, televisions, CD players, pagers, and cell phones provided numerous opportunities to be alone with one's thoughts. Today, we seem to fear silence, afraid of what we might hear if we were forced to stop and listen.
Five weeks ago I began an experiment: I turned off the radio in my truck for the entire month. No music, no news, no talk. Just silence. And in that month of silence I came to love those twenty or thirty minutes a day without noise.
At first it was hard. In fact for the first few days I felt so unnerved by the silence that I found myself talking out loud, even though I was the only one there. But even those one-sided discussions usually focused on something I was worried about or some idea I was trying to develop, so while I may have looked strange talking to myself, the time was productive.
As the days passed, I came to enjoy the silence, since it provided my one chance all day to simply sit and think. I have never had much success praying while driving, but during these days of stillness I definitely received insights I would not have found otherwise. I think maybe I heard what Richard Foster describes as "the divine Whisper" once or twice.
Despite His hectic schedule, Jesus often sought out solitude and silence. His forty days in the wilderness ... just before choosing the twelve ... after the feeding of the 5000 ... following the healing of the leper ... before he faced the cross; in each case, Jesus intentionally withdrew to spend time alone in prayer, solitude, and silence.
Your car may be the one sanctuary on earth where you can regularly experience silence. But even there, you must choose silence over noise. It might be worth a month for you to give it a try - I got so much out of it that I'm going to continue it.
There's a lot to hear in silence. Are you willing to listen?

YOUR HAND IN PRAYER Author Unknown
1. Your thumb is nearest to you. So begin your prayers by praying for those closest to you. They are the easiest to ones to remember. To pray for our loved ones is, as C.S. Lewis once said, a "sweet duty."
2. The next finger is the pointing finger. Pray for those who teach, instruct and heal. This includes teachers, doctors, and ministers. They need support and wisdom for pointing others in the right direction. Keep them in your prayers.
3. The next finger is the tallest finger. It reminds us of our leaders. Pray for the president, leaders in business and industry, and administrators. These people shape our nation and guide public opinion. They need God's guidance.
4. The fourth finger is our ring finger. Surprising to many is the fact that this is our weakest finger; as any piano teacher will testify. It should remind us to pray for those who are weak, in trouble or in pain. They need your prayers day and night. You cannot pray too much for them.
5. And lastly comes our little finger, the smallest finger of all, which is where we should place ourselves in relation to God and others. As the Bible says, "The least shall be the greatest among you." Your pinkie should remind you to pray for yourself. By the time you have prayed for the other four groups, your own needs will be put into proper perspective and you will be able to pray for yourself more effectively.
When you find it hard to get to sleep tonight; Just remember the homeless family who has no bed to lie in.
When you find yourself stuck in traffic; don't despair. There are people in this world for whom driving is an unheard of privilege.
When you have a bad day at work, think of the man who has been out of work for the last three months.
When you despair over a relationship gone bad, think of the person who has never known what it's like to love and be loved in return.
When you grieve the passing of another weekend, think of the woman in dire straits, working twelve hours a day, seven days a week, for $15.00 to feed her family.
When your car breaks down, leaving you miles away from assistance, think of the paraplegic who would love the opportunity to take that walk.
When you notice a new gray hair in the mirror, think of the cancer patient in chemo who wishes she had hair to examine.
When you find yourself at a loss, and pondering what is life all about, what is my purpose, be thankful. There are those who didn't live long enough to get the opportunity.
When you find yourself the victim of other people's bitterness, ignorance, smallness or insecurities, remember, things could be worse. You could be them.

Waiting For The Wind Author Unknown
My nephew's 10 year old son came for a visit one hot, July weekend. I was enticing him to stay inside by joining him in a Wii game. After being mercilessly defeated by a more experienced player, I suggested that we relax awhile. I collapsed into my favorite recliner to let my neck muscles relax and my ego recover from such a beating. He had slipped out of the room and I was catching a few relished moments of peace and quiet.
"Look, Alice," he said enthusiastically as he ran over to the chair where I was recovering. "I found a kite. Could we go outside and fly it?"
Glancing out a nearby window, I noticed there was not a breeze stirring. "I'm sorry, Tripper," I said, sad to see his disappointed eyes, but thankful for the respite from more activity. "The wind is not blowing today. The kite won't fly."
The determined 10 year old replied. "I think it's windy enough. I can get it to fly," he answered, as he hurried out the back door.
I peeked through the slats in the venetian blinds to watch determination in action. Up and down the yard he ran, pulling the kite attached to a small length of string. The plastic kite, proudly displaying a picture of Batman, remained about shoulder level. He ran back and forth, as hard as his ten year old legs would carry him, looking back hopefully at the kite trailing behind. After about ten minutes of unsuccessful determination, he came back in. I asked, "How did it go?"
"Fine," he said, not wanting to admit defeat. "I got it to fly some." As he walked past me to return the kite to the closet shelf, I heard him say under his breath, "I guess I'll have to wait for the wind."
At that moment I heard another Voice speak to my heart. "Alice. Sometimes you are just like that. You want to do it your way instead of waiting for the Wind." And the voice was right. How easy it is to use our own efforts to accomplish what we want to do.
We wait for the Wind only after we have done all we can and have exhausted our own strength. We must learn how to rely on Him in the first place!!!
"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." (Isaiah 40:31)
"For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith". (Galatians 5:5)

More Than a Picture on a Wall by Pamela Perry Blaine
“Whose picture is on that wall,” asked the little girl.
“That’s Jesus,” I said and then went on to explain that nobody really knows what Jesus looks like but the picture was what that particular artist thought he might look like. She nodded and then quietly sat and listened to the camp pastor telling the Bible story of Ruth and Naomi.
I always enjoy Bible Camp and this year was no exception. I love the excitement of the children as they play games, make new friends, and study the Bible. I was privileged to be a part of three different children’s camps this summer. Rodeo Bible Camp, Girls’ Camp, and Boys’ Camp.
My part of leading Bible Camp for Girls’ Camp was leading music. We sang old songs like Bringing in the Sheaves to go along with Ruth gleaning the fields, and newer songs like Love the Lord Your God that is a song taken directly from scripture about the greatest commandment of all.
Bible Camp is a good place to make new friends, meet up with old ones, and it’s a good time for everyone. The kids worked together on crafts, skits, and games. Some camps had swimming and woodworking while others had skating, and horseback riding.
There were no electronic games, movies, iPods, television, or cell phones to interrupt our concentration. Instead we focused on God and our relationship with Him as we learned from the Bible. The camp leaders stressed that there are no dumb questions as the counselors and teachers listened and helped children search the Bible for answers.
Finally, the last day of camp came and planning began for the ending programs the children prepare for their families. Out of all the songs that we sang during camp, I was impressed that the children wanted to do the songs that carried the strongest messages. The Boys’ Camp chose to focus on the song “In Christ Alone” that tells where we put our trust. The girls chose a song that emphasized reaching out to others with that same message as they held up their candles and sang: “Carry your candle ….Go Light Your World”. It was evident that these children want to make a difference in their world.
Some of the children made life-changing decisions at camp. One of them was the little girl who asked about the picture on the wall. She came running up to me one afternoon with great excitement saying, “I wanted to tell you that I asked Jesus to be in my heart!” I rejoiced with her at the amazing knowledge that the God of the universe desires to live within the very heart of our being. I’m so glad she met Jesus. Artists can only suggest what He might possibly look like because a picture cannot contain who He is. He is so much more than a picture on a wall.

Upload, Download by Sally I. Kennedy
If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. James 1:5
For a not-too-techie type person such as myself, computer lingo can sound like a foreign language. Back when I was beginning to get into computers, it even took awhile to distinguish 'download' and 'upload'! Here's my definition of download: something comes in from somewhere in cyber space that has data. I'm sure that is nowhere near correct, but it helps me differentiate.
Recently I was thinking about how we receive downloads from God all the time, primarily from His Word, the Bible. Then, other persons, media, and circumstances.
That got me thinking about uploads. There are our prayers. And just as the experts say no email is ever really lost or trashed, none of our prayers ever get lost or erased, either. In Revelations 5 we read about a scene in the throne room of God: "Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints."
Right now I need some supernatural wisdom. I need the mind of Christ, God's insight and direction. I'm so thankful that I can go to Him, in prayer, and lay everything out before Him, and ask. Ask for what I need at the moment. And I am so thankful that He doesn't shut me out or shut me down. He knows the cries of our hearts; He listens, and He answers. Upload- our prayers; download- from the Lord.
That is good news.

Little Springs by Sally I. Kennedy
To each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines. The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. 1 Corinthians 12:7,11-12
I almost missed it, there where the ground was soggy and the trail muddy and puddly .When I looked more closely to where the sound was coming from, a little spring was visible coming from under a rock to the right of the trail.
One little spring. Enough water to give drink to animals, birds. As it meandered across the road, and downhill on the massive mountain, it would join other little springs.
The little springs would merge and eventually flow together into one mighty river at the base of the mountain. Together they would make beautiful music as one, as they rolled through the floor of the mountain valley.
Little springs. Like different gifts and talents, I thought. Individually they are wonderful, and have a purpose. Sort of like musical instruments. Good individually, but great together as, they create bands and orchestras.
God gives the gifts as He sees fit. And every believer is guaranteed one or more. He alone knows what beautiful music they will make together – for us, as well as for others.

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
The enemy has released an attack against you, My people, to hinder your purpose and progression in My kingdom. You will need to resist by the power of My Spirit, and deliberately move forward in faith, breaking through everything that threatens to delay or stop you. And, when you don't know what to do, ask Me. I will give you wisdom, and I will direct your steps so that you are walking in perfect harmony with Me, says the Lord. This is not a time to sit down, give up or go back. Psalms 119:133 Direct my steps by Your word, and let no iniquity have dominion over me.

Release yourself to Me so that I can establish order where there are still things that remain in darkness and disorder. This process will be for your benefit, and I tell you truthfully that I will bring all things into the light and provide solutions to problems that you have never considered. Set yourself to trust Me, for I will bring you through that which seems to you to be a maze of chaos and confusion. Indeed, I will strengthen you and establish you on solid ground, says the Lord. Psalm 18:30-36 As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the LORD is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him. For who is God, except the LORD? And who is a rock, except our God? It is God who arms me with strength, and makes my way perfect. He makes my feet like the feet of deer, and sets me on my high places. He teaches my hands to make war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You have also given me the shield of Your salvation; Your right hand has held me up, Your gentleness has made me great. You enlarged my path under me, so my feet did not slip.

In a vision I watched two different men try to re-create a momentous occasion, one of which was a marriage proposal. In each case, even though they went to great lengths to make sure the details were correct, they could not re-capture the moment. And, I heard: Even your fondest memories cannot be re-lived. Leave the past alone and stay present with Me, says the Lord. You can do nothing to live again or change any part of what is behind. But, you can live the rest of your life to its fullest capacity with dedication to My kingdom and a heart of thanksgiving. Romans 13:11 And do this, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep; for now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed.

I see your heart, and I know that as much as you try to lift yourself up and be strong that there is still uncertainty and even a measure of instability in your soul. But, I say to you, that I am your strength. I am your very present help in times of trouble. You cannot accomplish what you desire by the strength of your own soul. You must allow Me to undertake on your behalf, says the Lord. Let Me do what you cannot do. Lean on Me and trust in My help. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.

Beloved, the discomfort of this season will soon be a thing of the past. Keep your mind on spiritual things--things that cause your faith to be strong. For, I will bring you through this awkwardness, and you will gain the victory. What you learn at this time will be most valuable in the days ahead, but you must endure and persevere, says the Lord. Trust Me! James 5:11 Indeed we count them blessed who endure. You have heard of the perseverance of Job and seen the end intended by the Lord—that the Lord is very compassionate and merciful.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
Arise and meet your destiny. Arise to this habitation; this new place of understanding that has the ability to call forth that which you have not yet seen. For, you know that I call those things that are not as though they were. And, certainly I have done so for you personally, each one of you, as I have written your destiny over the ages for this time. Come now and be renewed. Come now and be invigorated by the moving of My Spirit. Come now and rejoice in that which I have done. For, it has not been a small thing nor is it a hidden thing. For, today you see clearly with eyes of understanding that I am for you, that I am with you and that you will not be dissuaded by the lies of the enemy anymore from this day forward. The truth of My word shall prevail in your life, and the leading and guidance of My Spirit will cause you to walk in the path that I have ordained for you. Continue to go forward. If you get off of the path simply step back on and continue this journey. The gratitude, the glory, and the greatness of My work shall cause rejoicing to resound throughout the kingdom. Right now is the hour of perspective--the time in which I reveal to you the things that you’ve not understood. Come and see. Come and hear. Come and believe. Come and be renewed. Come now. Come to Me, says the Lord.

THE BOXES Author Unknown
I have in my hands two boxes
Which God gave me to hold.
He said, "Put all your sorrows in the black,
And all your joys in the gold."
I heeded His words, and in the two boxes
Both my joys and sorrows I store,
But though the gold became heavier each day
The black was as light as before.
With curiosity, I opened the black
I wanted to find out why
And I saw, in the base of the box, a hole
Which my sorrows had fallen out by.
I showed the hole to God, and mused aloud,
"I wonder where my sorrows could be."
He smiled a gentle smile at me.
"My child, they're all here with me."
I asked, "God, why give me the boxes,
Why the gold, and the black with the hole?"
"My child, the gold is for you to count your blessings,
the black is for you to let go."

UNFOLDING THE ROSEBUD - GOD'S WILL FOR OUR LIVES Author Unknown
A young, new preacher was walking with an older, more seasoned preacher in the garden one day and feeling a bit insecure about what God had for him to do, he was inquiring of the older preacher. The older preacher walked up to a rosebush and handed the young preacher a rosebud and told him to open it without tearing off any petals.
The young preacher looked in disbelief at the older preacher and was trying to figure out what a rosebud could possibly have to do with his wanting to know the WILL OF GOD for his life and for his ministry. Because of his high respect for the older preacher, he proceeded to TRY to unfold the rose, while keeping every petal in tact...It wasn't long before he realized how it was impossible to do so.
Noticing the younger preacher's inability to unfold the rosebud while keeping it in tact, the older preacher began to tell the following poem...
UNFOLDING THE ROSEBUD
It is only a tiny rosebud,
A flower of GOD's design;
But I cannot unfold the petals
With these clumsy hands of mine.
The secret of unfolding flowers
Is not known to such as I.
GOD opens this flower so sweetly,
When in my hands they fade and die.
If I cannot unfold a rosebud,
This flower of GOD's design,
Then how can I think I have wisdom
To unfold this life of mine?
So I'll trust in Him for His leading
Each moment of every day.
I will look to Him for His guidance
Each step of the pilgrim way.
The pathway that lies before me,
Only my heavenly Father knows.
I'll trust Him to unfold the moments,
Just as He unfolds the rose.

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So fix your eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. Galatians 6:9-10

28 Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. 29 He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. 30 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; 31 but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:28-31

11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. 12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. John 14:11-14

Final Exhortations
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. Philippians 4:4-9

The Armor of God
10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. Ephesians 6:10-18

Ask, Seek, Knock
7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. 9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. Matthew 7:7-12

CLOSED DOORS Author Unknown
We need to learn to praise the Lord as much for a closed door as we do an open door. The reason God closes doors is because He has not prepared anything over there for us. If he didn't close the wrong door, we would never find the right door.
God directs our path through the closing and opening of doors. Once a door closes, it forces you to change your course. Another door closes, it forces you to change your course again. Then, finally, you find the open door and you walk right into your blessing.
The Lord directs our paths through the opening and closing of doors, but instead of praising him for the closed door (which keeps us out of trouble); we get upset because we "judge by the appearances."
You have an ever-present help in the time of trouble that is always standing guard. Because He walks ahead of you, He can spot trouble down the road and set up a roadblock or detour accordingly. But through our lack of wisdom, we try to tear down the roadblocks or push aside the detour sign.
Then the minute we get into trouble, we start crying, "Lord, how could You have done this to me?"
We have got to realize that the closed door can be a blessing. Didn't He say that no good thing would He withhold from them that love Him?
If you get terminated from your job, praise God for the new opportunities that will manifest themselves: it might be another job, it might be school.
If that man or woman won't return your call, it might not be them, it might be the Lord setting up a roadblock (just let it go).
We can sometimes trap ourselves in doubt and discouragement through judging by appearances... Be grateful for the many times our Father has closed doors to us just to open them in the most unexpected places.
The Lord won't always say in spoken words: "Go to the left, now to the right" ... sometimes He will just close the doors that are wrong for you.

Dear Jesus, you came to earth so that we could know the love of God and receive the gift of eternal life. Thank you for revealing God to us. You love us unconditionally. Help us to relax in your arms of grace and forgiveness. Amen.

Read Through The Bible
1 Chronicles 14
David Established at Jerusalem
1 Now Hiram king of Tyre sent messengers to David, and cedar trees, with masons and carpenters, to build him a house. 2 So David knew that the Lord had established him as king over Israel, for his kingdom was highly exalted for the sake of His people Israel. 3 Then David took more wives in Jerusalem, and David begot more sons and daughters. 4 And these are the names of his children whom he had in Jerusalem: Shammua, Shobab, Nathan, Solomon, 5 Ibhar, Elishua, Elpelet, 6 Nogah, Nepheg, Japhia, 7 Elishama, Beeliada, and Eliphelet.
The Philistines Defeated
8 Now when the Philistines heard that David had been anointed king over all Israel, all the Philistines went up to search for David. And David heard of it and went out against them. 9 Then the Philistines went and made a raid on the Valley of Rephaim. 10 And David inquired of God, saying, “Shall I go up against the Philistines? Will You deliver them into my hand?” The Lord said to him, “Go up, for I will deliver them into your hand.” 11 So they went up to Baal Perazim, and David defeated them there. Then David said, “God has broken through my enemies by my hand like a breakthrough of water.” Therefore they called the name of that place Baal Perazim. 12 And when they left their gods there, David gave a commandment, and they were burned with fire. 13 Then the Philistines once again made a raid on the valley. 14 Therefore David inquired again of God, and God said to him, “You shall not go up after them; circle around them, and come upon them in front of the mulberry trees. 15 And it shall be, when you hear a sound of marching in the tops of the mulberry trees, then you shall go out to battle, for God has gone out before you to strike the camp of the Philistines.” 16 So David did as God commanded him, and they drove back the army of the Philistines from Gibeon as far as Gezer. 17 Then the fame of David went out into all lands, and the Lord brought the fear of him upon all nations.

Thank you, God, for your word, which reminds us that you have our benefit in mind even in painful circumstances. Please help us to cooperate with you in the refining process and to be ready to comfort others as you have comforted us. Amen.

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply