Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 09-16-2021, 04:03 AM   #16
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 16

Prayer This Morning

Lord,
This is another day, I know not what it will bring forth, but make me ready, for whatever it may be.
If I am to stand up, help me to stand bravely.
If I am to sit still, help me to sit quietly.
If I am to lie low, help me to do it patiently.
And if I am to do nothing, let me do it gallantly.
Make these words more than words, and give me the will to do your will.
Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Working the Steps frees us from the negative emotions, which block out the light.

At first, we may have wondered how the Twelve Steps were related to our problems. As we progress in the program, we see that without the spiritual growth, which they facilitate, we cannot be fully open to the light from our Higher Power.

So ............

Lord, prepare me to reflect Your light.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

H.A.L.T.

H.A.L.T. stands for Hungry, Angry, Lonely, and Tired. These feelings can be danger to us. They can lead us away from our program. We need to eat regular meals. When we get too hungry, we get cranky. Then we say and do things we regret. We need to turn anger over to our Higher Power, or else our anger turns into rage. We need friends to help us in recovery. If we get to lonely, we may turn our addictive way for friendship. We don't stay sober by ourselves. We need a clear mind to deal with life. If we get too tired, we tend to feel sorry for ourselves. Being tired get us into crazy thinking.

Today, I'll review the four parts of H.A.L.T. In which areas do I practice good self-care? In which areas do I not? How can I improve?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most Wonderful Blessing

It is a most wonderful blessing to be relieved of the terrible curse with which I was afflicted. My health is good and I have regained my self-respect and the respect of my colleagues. My home life is ideal and my business is as good as can be expected in these uncertain times.

I spend a great deal of time passing on what I learned to others who want and need it badly. I do it for four reasons:

1. Sense of duty.
2. It is a pleasure.
3. Because in so doing I am paying my debt to the man who took time to pass it on to me.
4. Because every time I do it I take out a little more insurance for myself against a possible slip.

Alcoholics Anonymous Pages 180-181 (THE DOCTOR'S NIGHTMARE)
(I use the 3rd Edition)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"But if you really and truly want to quit drinking liquor for good and all, and sincerely feel that you must have some help, we know that we have an answer for you. It never fails, if you go about it with one half the zeal you have been in the habit of showing when you were getting another drink." ~ Dr. Bob S.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2021, 04:34 AM   #17
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 17

Prayer for Guidance

Lord, guide me, teach me, strengthen me,
‘till I become such a person as thou would have me be;
pure and gentle,
truthful and high-minded,
brave and able,
courteous and generous,
dutiful and useful.
Amen.

~ Charles Kingsley (1819-75)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Our bad moods are often our body's way of telling us we need rest.

We are wise to remember we never outgrow this need for rest to make the day go better. When we return to our day refreshed, we have given ourselves and all those around us the gift of ourselves at our best.

So ............

What can I do better when I am rested?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Time Management

It's always risky when a recovering person gets too busy for meetings. It's also dangerous when business and personal concerns crowd out interest in the program.

We should never deceive ourselves by thinking that we're somehow safe just because our time is filled with useful and interesting work. Many of us have a tendency to become addicted to "busy-ness". Though less destructive than drinking, this serves as an escape, just as alcohol did.
The danger is that when the work no longer satisfies us, we'll find our lives becoming empty again. We could then be very vulnerable to taking a drink.

We should never be too busy for the wonderful, constructive work of the program. Far from taking time away from our other activities, work in the program will enhance everything we do.
I'll try to balance my activities today, making sure that I have time for the program.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There Is a Solution

Almost none of us liked the self-searching, the leveling of our pride, the confession of shortcomings which the process requires for its successful consummation. But we saw that it really worked in others, and we had come to believe in the hopelessness and futility of life as we had been living it. When, therefore, we were approached by those in whom the problem had been solved, there was nothing left for us but to pick up the simple kit of spiritual tools laid at our feet. We have found much of heaven and we have been rocketed into a fourth dimension of existence of which we had not even dreamed.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 25

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“To incessantly blame others for my shortcomings is cowardice borne of fear, fed by fear, and haunted by fear. To be steadfastly accountable for my shortcomings is bravery borne of God, fed by God, and blessed by God.” ~~ Craig D. Lounsbrough
Old 09-18-2021, 03:56 AM   #18
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 18

A Hopi Prayer

Let me walk in beauty, and make my eyes ever behold the red and purple sunset
Make my hands respect the things you have made and my ears sharp to hear your voice.
Make me wise so that I may understand the things you have taught our people.
Let me learn the lessons you have hidden in every leaf and rock.
I seek the strength, not to be greater than my brother/sister but to fight my greatest enemy- myself
Make me always ready to come to you with clean hands and straight eyes
So that all that we do now must be done in a sacred manner and in celebration.
We are the ones we’ve been waiting for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Not everyone knows how to be a friend.

Some people only criticize and never praise. People who never encourage or praise us are usually unhappy with their own achievements. They don't mean us harm. Perhaps they just need a friend, too. Not only do we each need friends to help us grow, we need to be friends to others. To encourage and praise those who need it will help us in return.

So ............

Whose friend can I be today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

New Ideas

When we're urged to be open-minded, what's really involved? Open-mindedness certainly can't mean accepting every idea that comes down the road, because some of them are worthless or harmful.

Open-mindedness really means a readiness to put our deeply held opinions aside long enough to consider new ideas. If we simply refuse to listen to anything new, we'll avoid the bad ideas, but we'll also miss out on the ideas that can help us.

If we're really honest, we can look back to see many ideas that helped us after we reluctantly agreed to consider them. It's important to screen ideas as they come to us, but we can't block them out completely. All a good idea needs to help us is a fair chance.

I'll work at being more open-minded today. It's possible I've been blocking out ideas that could help me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Running The Show

As we go through the day we pause, when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action. We constantly remind ourselves we are no longer running the show, humbly saying to ourselves many times each day "Thy will be done." We are then in much less danger of excitement, fear, anger, worry, self-pity, or foolish decisions. We become much more efficient. We do not tire so easily, for we are not burning up energy foolishly as we did when we were trying to arrange life to suit ourselves.

Alcoholics Anonymous Pages 87 & 88

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“The world we have created is a product of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.” ~ Albert Einstein
Old 09-19-2021, 04:36 AM   #19
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 19

Prayer to Control Temper

Lord,
Please help me to control my temper.
Please grant me the strength to keep from overreacting, even when I feel like I’m being falsely accused.
Please help me to have strong will power to keep my mouth shut when I feel like going off.
Please help me to see things more clearly, so that I will understand things better.
Please help heal my relationship(s) with those I love, which have been challenged by my behavior.
Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

If we're going to stay sober, we need to want something else more than we want to drink alcohol.

When we first came into A.A., we couldn't imagine wanting anything else so much or more than drinking. But after we've been in A.A. for a while, we did learn that a sober life can really be enjoyed. We learn how nice it is to get along well with our family at home, how nice it is to do our work well at the office, and how nice it is to try to help others.

So ............

Have I found that when I keep sober, everything goes well for me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Acceptance

One of the sad realities of life is that we're awash in disorder that we can't fix. All around us, the world seethes and festers with ailments and injustices that are beyond our control.

We can react by becoming angry or by making quixotic efforts to solve some of these problems. Our best course, however, is to apply our 12 Step program to life in this world. The Serenity Prayer suggests we accept what we can't change. A slogan reminds us to set priorities ("First things First.") The Eleventh Step reminds us to always seek God's will.

This will enable me to live effectively while doing my best to serve others. In time, I may even discover that I can fix a few of the seemingly insoluble problems around me.

I'll realize today that I have the ability only to do certain things within my sphere of experience. I'll see to it, however, that I do these things well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Free of Anger

It is plain that a life which includes deep resentment leads only to futility and unhappiness. To the precise extent that we permit these, do we squander the hours that might have been worth while. But with the alcoholic, whose hope is the maintenance and growth of a spiritual experience, this business of resentment is infinitely grave. We found that it is fatal. For when harboring such feelings we shut ourselves off from the sunlight of the Spirit. The insanity of alcohol returns and we drink again. And with us, to drink is to die.

If we were to live, we had to be free of anger. The grouch and the brainstorm were not for us. They may be the dubious luxury of normal men, but for alcoholics these things are poison.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 66

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Holding on to anger, resentment and hurt only gives you tense muscles, a headache and a sore jaw from clenching your teeth. Forgiveness gives you back the laughter and the lightness in your life.” ~~ Joan Lunden
Old 09-20-2021, 04:44 AM   #20
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 20

Prayer for Those Who Have Less

Lord, I know that you have given me so much. You provide a roof over my head. You provide me with an abundance of food on my table. I have friends and the opportunity to get an education. I have conveniences like computers. You have blessed me in my life with so many things that I don't even know.

Lord, there are so many other people who have so much less than I do. There are those that have no idea what life is like outside of depravity. And Lord, I know there are people around the world starving. There isn't enough food to always go around. Water is contaminated and a commodity that some areas on the earth do not have. There are children dying every day from starvation. I ask you, Lord, to intervene in these cases.

I pray that you will find a place for those that live their lives underprivileged and suffering. I also pray, Lord, that you always give me a heart for those who have less, so that I always feel a need to do your work here. I pray that I can lift those up and touch lives that need me.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We had but two alternatives.

One was to go on to the bitter end, blotting out the consciousness of our intolerable situation as best we could, and the other was to accept spiritual help. A new life has been given us, a design for living that really works. All of us establish in our own individual way our personal relationship with God.

So ............

Have I established my own relationship with God?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Friendship

Don't overlook the value of friendship.

Some friendships wax and wane, going through cycles throughout the years. But some friendships will last a lifetime. Friendships can be a good place for us to learn to have fun and to appreciate how much fun we can have with a friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dependent Upon

Let no alcoholic say he cannot recover unless he has his family back. This just isn't so. In some cases the wife will never come back for one reason or another. Remind the prospect that his recovery is not dependent upon people. It is dependent upon his relationship with God. We have seen men get well whose families have not returned at all. We have seen others slip when the family came back too soon.

Alcoholics Anonymous Pages 99 & 100

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ~~ John Bunyan
Old 09-21-2021, 03:49 AM   #21
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 21

Prayer of St. Theresa
May today there be peace within
May you trust your highest power that you are exactly where you are
meant to be....
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith
May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love
that has been given to you....
May you be content knowing you are a child of God....
Let this presence settle into our bones, and allow your soul the
freedom to sing, dance and to bask in the sun….
It is there for each and everyone of you….

~ St. Teresa

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

How wonderful to know that we do not have to condemn ourselves, even for not living up to a goal we have set for ourselves.

Once we say we are sorry, we need to be willing to forgive ourselves. After all, how else do we learn and grow except by mistakes?
When we have forgiven ourselves, we become free to take risks again without fear of unforgivable failure, and who knows what new successes we might attain?

So ............

Is there something I can forgive myself for today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Time Management

In dealing with our personal shortcomings, we may find traits of immaturity. For example, we might waste time doing the things we like to do rather than the things we must do. We sometimes find a way to justify this. Drinking coffee with friends might be called "having a meeting" even when it goes far beyond normal limits and uses up time that should be devoted to family and work responsibilities.

Without becoming workaholics or drudges, we do need to be honest about our habits. If we're wasting too much time, it could be at the expense of things that need to be attended to promptly. When we waste time, we often have to work twice as hard to catch up later on. Let's be honest about the management of our time.

I'll watch how I spend my time today. If I'm spending too much time socializing, I'll put myself on a reasonable schedule that balances both leisure and work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Love

Love is always positive and constructive. It does not tolerate negativism. It must be given and received unconditionally, without reservations, with no strings attached.
When we love, we will see in others what we wish to have in ourselves.
We will know that love is a privilege given to us by God.
When we love, we will never be bored with life or our program. . .
It shows us that the things that count are never held in the hand but always in the heart.

The Best of the Grapevine [Vol. 3], Page 297

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

Negative words are powerful boomerangs so be careful what you say about people and yourself.” ~ Mary J. Blige

“I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old 09-22-2021, 04:55 AM   #22
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 23

Prayer to Do God's Will

Lord, at times I just wish that You would send me a letter or call me on the telephone and let me know with clarity what Your will is for my life, so that I may fulfill all the plans that You have purposed for me.

Help me to lay aside my own personal preferences and learn to say, "Thy will be done." Equip me I pray, to recognize Your gentle promptings and the wise counsel that is hidden in Your Word, and keep me from being swayed by my own fleshly inclinations.

Tenderize my heart so that I am able to discern the nudges and tugs that give me the wisdom to make godly choices.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

"Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic."

What sort of thinking dominates an alcoholic who repeats time after time the desperate experiment of the first drink? Parallel with sound reasoning, there inevitably runs some insanely trivial excuse for taking the first drink. There is little thought of what the terrific consequences may be.

So ............

Have I given up all excuses for drinking?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Peace

The Twelve Step program came out of a movement that was attempting to save the world by establishing universal peace. Our purpose is scaled down to helping the person who still suffers.

We don't really know the route to world peace, but we have learned that we must be at peace with ourselves and others in order to live happily. This means releasing the old resentments, distrust, and other faults that plague so many of us.

Living the Twelve Step way might have been our first experience in getting along with others. We found it totally different from the hate and suspicion that once poisoned our lives and kept us in bondage.

At some point, we may also find that we're playing a part in the larger purpose of finding peace. We have , at least, removed ourselves from the raging conflicts that cause so much trouble in the world. I'll be at peace with everyone I meet today. I've forgiven others and myself, and I'll do nothing today that gets me embroiled in conflict with others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vision of God’s Will

It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do, for alcohol is a subtle foe. We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition. Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God's will into all of our activities. "How can I best serve Thee - Thy will (not mine) be done." These are thoughts which must go with us constantly. We can exercise our will power along this line all we wish. It is the proper use of the will.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 85

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“The greatest power is often simple patience.” ~ E. Joseph Cossman

Old 09-23-2021, 05:13 AM   #23
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 23

Prayer of Encouragement

God,
So often in different situations, I stand and can’t make the first steps and decisions I should make.
I am usually stuck in such circumstances for a long time, so I ask for your encouragement and help.
Lord, please encourage me through all my life journey.
Please make it, that I never feel fear or uncertainty.
Let all my decisions be according to your will.
Don’t let me give up in any situation I face, but teach me to find the right way and right decision.
Lord, encourage and guide me in all the actions I take in my life.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

The alcoholic is absolutely unable to stop drinking on the basis of self-knowledge.

We must admit we can do nothing about it ourselves. Will power and self-knowledge will never help in the strange mental blank spots when we are tempted to drink. An alcoholic mentally is in a very sick condition. The last flicker of conviction that we can do the job ourselves must be snuffed out. The spiritual answer and the program of action are the only hope. Only spiritual principles will solve our problems. We are completely helpless apart from Divine help. Our defense against drinking must come from a Higher Power.

So ............

Have I accepted the spiritual answer and the program of action?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Serenity

Again and again we hear that bad thinking and drinking are linked together. Bad thinking is any line of thought that tends to be destructive. Mental arguments are in that class because they destroy peace of mind and self-control. We can avoid them by learning acceptance and maintaining serenity at all costs.

Sometimes we engage in mental arguments with those who seem to have defeated us or put us down. This only gives more life to the hurt we have been feeling: in effect, we cooperate in hurting ourselves repeatedly. Even the satisfaction of letting ourselves "win" the mental argument doesn't really settle the matter.

We can maintain our serenity in all situations by accepting people as they are. We are not responsible for changing their opinions. We must also accept and dismiss past mistakes and failures, no matter who was at fault. We owe it to ourselves not to destroy another moment's happiness with futile mental arguments that serve no good purpose in our lives.

Once we dismiss mental arguments, we can give our time and attention to things that really matter.
I will not waste a single second on any kind of mental argument. Anything another person said or did is forgiven and forgotten, and it has no power to hurt me a second time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our Story

When we decide who is to hear our story, we waste no time. We have a written inventory and we are prepared for a long talk. We explain to our partner what we are about to do and why we have to do it. He should realize that we are engaged upon a life-and-death errand. Most people approached in this way will be glad to help; they will be honored by our confidence.

We pocket our pride and go to it, illuminating every twist of character, every dark cranny of the past. Once we have taken this step, withholding nothing, we are delighted. We can look the world in the eye. We can be alone at perfect peace and ease. Our fears fall from us. We begin to feel the nearness of our Creator. We may have had certain spiritual beliefs, but now we begin to have a spiritual experience. The feeling that the drink problem has disappeared will often come strongly. We feel we are on the Broad Highway, walking hand in hand with the Spirit of the Universe.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 75

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"The first service that one owes to others in the fellowship consists of listening to them." ~~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Old 09-24-2021, 04:03 AM   #24
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 24

Prayer for Patience

Lord, teach me to be patient - with life, with people,and with myself. I sometimes try to hurry things along too much, and I push for answers before the time is right. Teach me to trust Your sense of timing rather than my own and to surrender my will to Your greater and wiser plan. Help me let life unfold slowly, like the small rosebud whose petals unravel bit by bit, and remind me that in hurrying the bloom along, I destroy the bud and much of the beauty therein.

Instead, let me wait for all to unfold in its own time. Each moment and state of growth contains a loveliness. Teach me to slow down enough to appreciate life and all it holds.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

For many of us, our spiritual awakening began when we first heard our Higher Power might be our group.

We learned that God may exist in the connections between people in our group just as well as within each individual.
When we ask another member to listen to us, we contribute to the strength of this spirit. When we give someone a ride to a meeting or spread the word about this program to other suffering men and women, we make a contribution and receive its benefits. Even now, if we need a renewal of confidence in God's presence in our lives, we can telephone another member and just talk. We will quickly sense the spirit.

So ............

Am I grateful to feel God's presence in my life and within the people around me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Getting Through Hard Times

Hard times, stressful times, are not all there is to life, but they are part of life, growth, and moving forward. What we do with hard times, or hard energy, is our choice.

Hard times can motivate and mold us to bring out our best. We can use these times to move forward and upward to higher levels of living, loving, and growth. The choice is ours.

We do not always require hard energy, or stress, to motivate us to grow and change. We do not have to create stress, seek it, or attract it. But if it's there, we can learn to channel it into growth and use it for achieving what's good in life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Compliance Isn’t Acceptance

We are sometimes mystified when people come into the AA program, respond to its message for months or years, and then disappear, seemingly without a trace. Later, we may be shocked to learn that they’re drinking again. One possible explanation is that they were practicing compliance without really accepting the program. The danger of compliance is that it may simply be an outward show of working the program while leaving one’s real thoughts and feelings unchanged. For example, to “bring the body” to meetings in the belief that their heart will follow. This does little good if one’s heart does not follow!

The only solution is to continue the difficult but rewarding search for honesty in all things. When we examine ourselves honestly, we will recognize when we are truly accepting and when we are merely complying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.” -- Mithra Phuka
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 09-25-2021, 05:47 AM   #25
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 26

Prayer for Sobriety Today

God, direct my thinking today so that it will be empty of self-pity, dishonesty, self-will, self-seeking and fear.
God, inspire my thinking, decisions and intuitions. Help me to relax and take it easy.
Free me from doubt and indecision. Guide me through this day and show me my next step.
God, show me what I need to do to take care of any problems.
I ask all these things that I may be of maximum service to you and my fellow man.
In the spirit of the Steps I pray.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Finding a spiritual basis.

To one who feels he is an atheist or agnostic, a spiritual experience seems impossible, but to continue as he is means disaster. To be doomed to an alcoholic death or to live on a spiritual basis are not always easy alternatives to face. But we have to face the fact that we must find a spiritual basis of life - or else. Lack of power is our dilemma. We have to find a power by which we can live, and it has to be a power greater than ourselves.

So ............

Have I found that power by which I can live?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Perfection

Stop expecting perfection
We do a terrible, annoying thing to others and ourselves when we expect perfection. We set up a situation where others, including ourselves, do not feel comfortable. Our expectations need to be reasonable. Expecting perfection is not reasonable.

The flaws and imperfections in ourselves determine our uniqueness. Encourage others and ourselves to do the best we can. Love and nurture others and ourselves for being who we are. Then realize we are not merely human - we were intended and created to be human.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Righting Wrongs

There may be some wrongs we can never fully right. We don't worry about them if we can honestly say to ourselves that we would right them if we could. Some people cannot be seen - we send them an honest letter. And there may be a valid reason for postponement in some cases. But we don't delay if it can be avoided. We should be sensible, tactful, considerate and humble without being servile or scraping. As God's people we stand on our feet; we don't crawl before anyone.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 83

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Each new day is a blank page in the diary of your life. The secret of success is in turning that diary into the best story you possibly can.” ~~ Douglas Pagels
Old 09-26-2021, 05:00 AM   #26
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 26

An Inspirational Prayer

Do not look forward to what may happen tomorrow; the same everlasting Father who cares for you today will take care of you tomorrow and every day. Either He will shield you from suffering, or He will give you unfailing strength to bear it. Be at peace, then. Put aside all anxious thoughts and imaginations, and say continually: “The Lord is my strength and my shield. My heart has trusted in Him and I am helped. He is not only with me but in me, and I in Him.”

St. Francis de Sales (1567-1622)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

As soon as you can say that you do believe or are willing to believe, you are on your way.

We of agnostic temperament have found that as soon as we were able to lay aside prejudice and express a willingness to believe in a Power greater than ourselves, we commenced to get results, even though it was impossible for any of us to fully define or comprehend that Power, which we call God. Upon this simple cornerstone a wonderfully effective spiritual structure can be built.

So ............

Am I willing to depend on a Power that I cannot fully define or comprehend?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Seeking God’s Presence

It is not a question of searching so much as an inner consciousness of the Divine spirit in your heart. To realize God's presence, you must surrender to His will in the small as well as in the big things of life. This makes God's guidance possible. Some things separate you from God - a false word, a fear-inspired failure, a harsh criticism, a stubborn resentment. These are the things that put a distance between your mind and God. A word of love, a selfless reconciliation, and a kind act of helpfulness - these bring God closer.

I pray that I may think and say and do the things that bring God closer to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seeking

Much to our relief, we discovered we did not need to consider another's conception of God. Our own conception, however inadequate, was sufficient to make the approach and to effect a contact with Him. As soon as we admitted the possible existence of a Creative Intelligence, a Spirit of the Universe underlying the totality of things, we began to be possessed of a new sense of power and direction, provided we took other simple steps. We found that God does not make too hard terms with those who seek Him. To us, the Realm of Spirit is broad, roomy, all inclusive; never exclusive or forbidding to those who earnestly seek. It is open, we believe, to all men.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 46

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Seek God, and you will discover yourself, discover yourself and you will realize your purpose for being in this life." - Author Unknown
Old 09-27-2021, 04:47 AM   #27
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 27

Cranky Heart Prayer

Dear Lord,
I am so sorry for my cranky heart. I am not sure what is up with me. I am not sad, mad, or anything emotional, but my attitude is definitely sour. I desire to change, but I need Your help! I pray that Your joy and peace would overflow from me. I pray that my heart will be of good cheer and encouragement to others. My cranky heart only leaves everyone irritated and frustrated. My cranky heart strips patience from me and what I do. Please forgive me and help me to change my attitude.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We have alternatives.

To be doomed to an alcoholic death or to live on a spiritual basis are not always easy alternatives to face. But we have to face the fact that we must find a spiritual basis of life - or else. Lack of power is our dilemma. We have to find a power by which we can live, and it has to be a power greater than ourselves.

So ............

Have I found that power by which I can live?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Life is Change

We don't control which loved ones come into our lives and which ones go or whether we become ill or stay healthy. We don't control life's opportunities. We can control how we choose to respond to these transitions. Whatever happens can be used for growth and we can commit ourselves to use all experiences that way.

I will not try to control change but will choose to use whatever happens for growth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Faith

Actually we were fooling ourselves, for deep down in every man, woman, and child, is the fundamental idea of God. It may be obscured by calamity, by pomp, by worship of other things, but in some form or other it is there. For faith in a Power greater than ourselves, and miraculous demonstrations of that power in human lives, are facts as old as man himself.

We finally saw that faith in some kind of God was a part of our make-up, just as much as the feeling we have for a friend. Sometimes we had to search fearlessly, but He was there. He was as much a fact as we were. We found the Great Reality deep down within us. In the last analysis it is only there that He may be found. It was so with us.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 55

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.” ~ Rumi
Old 09-28-2021, 04:55 AM   #28
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 28

Prayer When Afraid

Lord,
In the middle of my fear, I ask You to make me strong and courageous. Even if my heart is still pounding. Even if I don’t feel brave at all.

Give me the courage to do what You’ve called me to do, even when every muscle in my body wants to sprint in the opposite direction. Help me to act courageous before I feel courageous.

Fill me with confidence that You have good things planned for me. Fill me with trust. Fill me so full that there’s no room left for fear.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Alcohol used to be my friend. I used to have a lot of fun drinking.

Practically all the fun I had was connected with drinking. But the time came when it became my enemy. I don't know just when alcohol turned against me and became my enemy, but I know it happened, because I began to get into trouble. And since I realize that liquor is now my enemy, my main business now is keeping sober. Making a living or keeping a house is no longer my main business. It's secondary to the business of keeping sober.

So ............

Do I realize that my main business is keeping sober?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Valuing this Moment

How often we waste our time and energy wishing we were someone else, were doing something else, or were someplace else. We may wish our present circumstances were different. We will change things by surrendering to and accepting the moment. Some moments are easier to accept than others. We are where we are, and it is okay. It is right where we're meant to be.

God, help me let go of my need to be someone other than who I am today. Help me dive fully into the present moment. I will accept and surrender to my present moments - the difficult ones and the easy ones, trusting the whole process. I will stop trying to control the process; instead, I will relax and let myself experience it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Humility

I see "humility for today" as a safe and secure stance midway
between violent emotional extremes. It is a quiet place where I can
keep enough perspective and enough balance to take my next small
step up the clearly marked road that points toward eternal values.

"As Bill Sees It" Page 199

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Regrets for what could, would, or should have happened yesterday can be a primary source of depression. Fear of what might happen tomorrow can be a primary source of anxiety. I think the challenges we deal with today might be more manageable without these added burdens.” ~ Charles F. Glassman
Old 09-29-2021, 05:21 AM   #29
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 28

Cultivating Responsibility Prayer

Lord,
I pray that I continue to move forward and become a more responsible individual.
I pray that I gain the strength to move in a positive direction and that I become the best version of myself.
I pray that I soon become more gracious, understanding and patient in all of my ways.

Please help me to be faithful in all the duties You have entrusted to me this day, fulfilling each with great care and love!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

In recovery, we learn to use words in a kind, wise way.

We use words to bring peace to others. We can use words to tell God and others how much we care.
Or we can use words to hurt others. We can curse them and scare them away. We often did when we used alcohol and other drugs.

We treat words as a gift from God. We use words to build our relationships.

So ............

Do I always use words in a kind way? Do I treat words as a powerful gift from God? Do my words make the world better or worse for those who hear me speak?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Accepting Responsibility

Choose to live for, rather than against.
Put your energy into building what is creative, valuable and empowering. And you won't have to constantly fight against what is destructive and draining.

Concern yourself more with accepting responsibility than with assigning blame. Let the possibilities inspire you more than the obstacles discourage you.

You have so very much to live for. Look at each twist and turn in the road with a grateful heart, and you'll find real treasure in every direction.

Live your days on the positive side of life, in tune with your most treasured values. And in each moment, you'll have much to live for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steps and Traditions

AA's Twelve Steps are a group of principles, spiritual in their nature, which, if practiced as a way of life, can expel the obsession to drink and enable the sufferer to become happily and usefully whole.

AA's Twelve Traditions apply to the life of the Fellowship itself. They outline the means by which AA maintains its unity and relates itself to the world about it, the way it lives and grows.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 15

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“With each new day I put away the past and discover the new beginnings I have been given.” ~ Angela L. Wozniak
Old 09-30-2021, 05:31 AM   #30
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 30

Prayer for Comfort

Lord,
We give you this hurt, pain, weakness and sorrow in exchange for your comfort.
Take our pain away, according to Your will, in Your time.
We’re not promised a painless life on this earth, but You do want us to live a happy one.
Fill our hearts with hope as we wait on You to move in our lives and flow out from our hearts.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Finding our Higher Power.

There is a wide variation in the way each one of us approaches and conceives of the Power greater than ourselves. Whether we agree with a particular approach or conception seems to make little difference. There are questions for each of us to settle for ourselves. But in each case the belief in a Higher Power has accomplished the miraculous, the humanly impossible. There has come a revolutionary change in their way of living and thinking.

So ............

Has there been a revolutionary change in me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Sincerity

It is important for me to be sincere.
Many of us grew up in situations that required us to be constantly on our guard. We became so keenly attuned to the people around us and how to please them or avoid their anger that we lost contact with our inner messages. Rather than developing skills for drawing upon our inner resources, we developed skills for looking outward and reacting to whatever confronted us.

Today, we are learning to know what we think and feel and to express it, even if it isn't always what others want to hear. We can be spontaneous now because we have room for mistakes in our lives. Our relationships are more reliable, and we have more energy from sincerity than from always striving to make a good appearance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Demands

The chief activator of our defects has been self-centered fear -- primarily fear that we would lose something we already possessed or would fail to get something we demanded.
Living upon a basis of unsatisfied demands, we were in a state of continual disturbance and frustration.
Therefore, no peace was to be had unless we could find a means of reducing these demands. The difference between a demand and a simple request is plain to anyone.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 76

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Knowing Is Not Enough; We Must Apply. Wishing Is Not Enough; We Must Do.” ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Post New ThreadReply