Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 07-01-2014, 02:47 AM   #1
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default Eating Disorders - OA JULY 2014

Quote:
Tuesday, July 1, 2014

You are reading from the book Food for Thought

Saying No

There are times when all of us find it difficult to say no. Even though we realize intellectually that we cannot have and do everything, we have trouble saying no to the foods, activities, and people that are not good for us.

Abstaining means saying "No, thank you" when offered something not on our food plan. We may think that we are afraid of hurting someone else's feelings by our refusal, but usually it is our own compulsive desire that prevents us from giving a firm no. Our sanity and health are more important than pleasing whoever is offering what we should not have.

As we work the program, we become more aware of the people and activities that use up our energies unnecessarily. Avoiding them gives us more time and strength for what means most to us. Learning when and how to say no is a very important part of our recovery. Most often, the person we need to say no to is ourself.

I pray for the strength to say no to what is not good for me.
A daily prayer that works, when we work it. I found that when I learned to say "No!" I liked the sound of the word so much, I over used it, and had to find some balance. It was alright to say "Yes!" too.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Spiritual Strength

What we compulsive overeaters need in order to control our disease is spiritual strength. If we are strong spiritually, we will not turn to food to fill our inner emptiness. We overate because we were spiritually impoverished, and overeating further depleted our spirits.

Paradoxically, we are strongest spiritually when we are most aware of our weakness. In order for our Higher Power to take over, we must recognize and admit our powerlessness. Spiritual strength comes to those who have the necessary humility to receive it.

We do not acquire this strength overnight. The more time we spend each day in communion with God, the stronger we become. Cultivating the awareness of His presence as we go about our activities enables us to rely more and more on His strength and less and less on our own.

Strengthen us with spiritual food so that we do not need to overeat.
Not only over eat, but not eatiing at all. Starving our body, mind and spirit and well as the physical.

The void within, needs to be filled with spiritual food.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Last edited by MajestyJo; 07-02-2014 at 09:13 AM. Reason: FORMAT
Old 07-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thursday, July 3, 2014

Rest in God

Fatigue is one of our worst enemies. Sometimes it is our own unnecessary busyness and over ambition, which wears us out, and sometimes, the cause of our fatigue seems unavoidable. Depression and weariness go hand in hand.

It was our habit to reach for something to eat when we were tired. We may still crave refined sugar and carbohydrates as a quick boost when our energy lags. Instead of these substances, which we know will let us down, we need to turn to our Higher Power for rest and refreshment.

Even better than waiting until we are fatigued to ask for help is the habit of resting continuously in God. We may then carry on our activities knowing that we are upheld by His power, and we will avoid the exhaustion of trying to accomplish everything by our own efforts.

May I remember to rest in You.
Those words are so comforting. Knowing that He/She is there, no matter what we are going through, often of our own makibg, He is loving and caring and willing to forgive and receive us under His care.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:19 AM   #4
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Friday, July 4, 2014

Holidays

Holidays come and holidays go. Our choice remains the same: to abstain or to overeat.

Most holidays are associated with an overabundance of special food. Those who are not compulsive overeaters may be able to indulge for a day. We cannot. For us, one day's indulgence is usually the start of a downward skid into loss of control and the despair, which follows. What kind of a celebration is it if we end up back in the trap of compulsive overeating?

Every day we may celebrate our freedom by abstaining. When holidays come, we enjoy them more by abstaining than we ever did by indulging. We are free from guilt and remorse and the terrible panic that seizes us when we lose control. We are free to think about the deeper significance of the holiday-whatever the celebration, it is more than a reason to eat and drink.

When abstinence remains the most important part of our life, no matter what day it is, then every day is a celebration and holidays are blessings instead of disasters.

Lord, may I celebrate this day and every day by abstaining.
I was told to remember that holiday are just another 24 hours. I can celebrate without picking up a drug. If I am not happy in recovery, what am I doing wrong that I look outside of myself for someone or some thing to make me happy.

The hunger isn't always physical. I found that when I share food with others, if I have enough for one, I have enough for two, I am filling up with spiritual things.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:37 AM   #5
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Saturday, July 5, 2014

Ignore the Craving

Old habits die hard, and for a long time we may experience our old craving for that "small," compulsive bite. The craving will not hurt us, and eventually it will pass if we ignore it. If we give in to the craving, it does not go away but becomes stronger. To feed the craving is to pour gasoline on a fire.

When we experience the craving for unnecessary food, we need to find something else to occupy our attention. If possible, we should physically remove ourselves from the tempting situation. If that is impossible, we need to ask our Higher Power for the strength to remain abstinent and to ignore the demands of our over blown appetite. God never allows us to be tempted beyond our ability to endure. He is always here to support us when we turn and ask for help.

May I listen to You and ignore harmful cravings.
It was brought to my attention that I couldn`t crave something unless I picked it up and ingested it. The one is good and more is better, is the thinking behind my disease.

My disease is an allergy (I don`t react to food like others do) and obsession of my mind. Even when I am not eating or using food, I am think of it, and it becomes my whole world. It is about getting, and getting more what ever is on my mind. For me it is chocolate brownies, and I had to turn them over to my Higher Power to have the obsession taken from me.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:16 AM   #6
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sunday, July 6, 2014

Dual Personalities

It is as if we are each two people. When we are abstaining, we are calm, confident, and capable of handling the demands of every day. When we are in contact with our Higher Power, we have the right mental perspective and God's peace and love in our hearts.

Slipping back into the old attitudes and habits of our compulsive overeating days brings back our frightened, confused, and despairing selves. We lose our ability to function efficiently. We are antagonistic to those around us. Worst of all, we are cut off from the source of strength and light.

Remembering that the negative personality will destroy us makes us more determined not to give in to it. Abstinence, day by day, is our safety. Reliance on the OA group, our Twelve Step program, and our Higher Power keeps us living the good, new life of freedom.

Deliver me from my negative personality.
This is were I don't always agree, I believe that life is not all positive, and in all things there is a negative and it is how we look at it and deal with it that is important.

The same things is that things may appear all negative, but I think if I look, I will find some goodness there. Maybe because that use to be me.

I also find that a lot of the recovery stories are all cheer and no reality. It took me three years to realize that life and reality sucked!

It is about how I choose to live my life, facing all things as they are, not just as I would have them be.

My eating habits are not good. My God and I are working on them, some days are better than others.

When I work with my meditation cards, they have a negative and positive side. A friend who introduced me to them said, "If you get a card upside down you need to look at the negative side." Later I told her that I leave all my cards upright, and it is up to me to look at the positive and negative and take ownership, for what is in reality. Most days it is positive, but on other days, I really need to read the negative and what I need to do to change.

Try to keep my mind positive. I really have a problem with someone who says they prepared for the worst case scenario, and when it didn't happened he was happy and grateful. This is hot positive, what I put out I attract. There is a really good chance all that negativity will heap itself onto me and I will have to deal with it.

I am not my disease, but I can still act out in it today, I have a choice. I am grateful that the person that was is no more.

What is good for someone, may not be good for someone else. It is all energy, that can be exchanged, released, accepted, and it passes, and can be different an hour from now, a day from now, or even a year. That is why it is a one day at a time program.

Sorry for the long post, something I feel very strongly about.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Last edited by MajestyJo; 07-06-2014 at 01:21 AM. Reason: format
Old 07-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #7
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Monday, July 7, 2014

Life Is Opportunity

Each morning when we wake up, we thank our Higher Power for another day of abstaining. Each hour that is given to us is a chance to grow and learn and serve. We can believe that God has a plan for every day that he gives us and that He will reveal the plan step by step as we listen for His guidance.

If we are too intent on carrying out our personal ideas and projects, we may miss the directions that come from God. We need to remain open and flexible so that He may use us as He chooses.

Considering the time and tasks that we have as opportunities to serve saves us from self-centered worry and anxiety. We do not have to be compulsive about our work and activities. God knows our capabilities and will not give us more than we can handle. He is always ready to direct our efforts when we turn to Him.

Thank You for the opportunity to live and serve today.
So true, as they say, "Life is what we make it." My God gives me freedom of choice. I can choose to walk with Him or I can just call on Him after I screwed up and got myself in a situation.

I do know what I should do, it is up to me as to whether I do it or not.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:52 AM   #8
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Stronger or Weaker?

Every time I say no to the craving for just one small, extra bite, I become stronger. Every time I give in, I weaken myself and make it harder to say no the next time.

Abstinence from compulsive overeating is made up of many small decisions. We gradually acquire the knowledge of what we can handle and what we should avoid. This knowledge applies to situations and attitudes as well as food. As we work our program and make the right decisions, we gain strength.

Since none of us is perfect, we do not need to become discouraged when we make mistakes. We are learning how to live, and our failures teach us more than our successes. Growth is slow, but if we keep coming back to OA and the program, we will see results beyond our wildest expectations. OA gives us the strength to become new people.

For growing stronger, we thank You.
Many people look at themselves as weak, not knowing that they haven a disease with a spiritual solution that makes them strong as long as they apply it to their life. The principles of the program are to be lived. It is a WE program.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:02 AM   #9
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Tension or Hunger?

How often have we eaten because of tension, rather than hunger? Accepting our need for three measured meals a day with nothing in between establishes a sensible pattern, which satisfies our need for nourishment. When we are tense, we can find ways of relaxing which do not harm our body by making it fat.

Learning to relax the stomach muscles helps get rid of tension hunger. Often when we have eaten too fast because of tension, our stomach continues to send hunger signals after the meal. There has not been enough time for the digestive process to register satisfaction. We can consciously relax the muscles so that the feeling of emptiness will go away.

The best cure for tension is a growing faith in our Higher Power. If we are willing to trust Him in the little things of each day, as well as the big events of our life, we will be able to relax and cultivate serenity.

Dissolve my tension and feed my hunger, I pray.
So many of our feelings we perceive as hunger. We have to recognize that the hunger doesn't always have to be physical, our body can be telling us we need food for our mind, spirit and our emotions.

So much of our pain is triggered by tension. Tension is a big trigger for Fibromyalgia, that is one of the many reason I have to work this program daily and on all aspects of my disease.

So many years I stuffed my feelings.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:54 AM   #10
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thursday, July 10, 2014

A Progressive Illness

It is the experience of recovering compulsive overeaters that the illness is progressive. The disease does not get better; it gets worse. Even while we abstain, the illness progresses. If we were to break our abstinence, we would find that we had even less control over our eating than before.

Continued abstinence is our only means of health and sanity. We well remember the misery and despair that we felt when we were overeating, and we do not want to feel that way again. Abstaining from one compulsive bite is a small price to pay for health and sanity.

When we find ourselves thinking thoughts, which in the past have preceded loss of control, we need to realize the great danger that lies in a relapse. The OA program has saved us from the destruction of compulsive overeating, but our disease is still alive. Our program needs to be foremost in our minds every day if we are to continue recovering.

Do not let me forget my illness.
As they say on Novemeber 11th, "Lest We Forget." This is a one day at a time program, and I can't forget where I was, where I came from, and where my illness took me.

I must never forget, my recover is about today. It isn't about what I did in the past or plan for tomorrow, it is about today.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:33 AM   #11
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Friday, July 11, 2014

Goals and Ends

Most of us came into this program with a specific weight goal in mind. We thought that if only we could weigh an ideal number of pounds, all of our other troubles would miraculously vanish.

When we reach goal weight, we discover that we still have to live with ourselves and deal with our problems. If we have been developing a strong program as we have been losing weight, we have a basis on which to work for further emotional and spiritual growth.

Our emotional and spiritual goals are not static. Since we never achieve perfection, there is always opportunity for further progress. The beauty of the OA program is that it is a program for life; its possibilities are limitless. To know and do the will of our Higher Power is our ultimate goal as well as our immediate one.

May I remember that You are my goal today and always.
Friday has snuck up on me, not sure where the week went, it just disappeared.

My goals is to wake up each morning and ask my God for His Care for today and give thanks at night.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:23 AM   #12
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Saturday, July 12, 2014

Growing Up

There is no magic. Nothing - be it person, place, or thing - is going to give us instant and permanent gratification. We keep thinking in the back of our mind that there is some way we can manipulate life into granting us all of our desires, even when they contradict each other.

When we seriously and with honest effort work our way through the Twelve Steps, we begin to grow up emotionally and spiritually. Abstinence from compulsive overeating makes this growth possible. It is not easy, but it is definitely worth the effort.

Acceptance and renunciation are necessary if we are to live with satisfaction in the real world. Grandiose illusions are of no help. We come to understand that certain foods, emotions, and attitudes are not for us if we are to maintain our sanity.

There is no magic, but there is a Power greater than ourselves. Who is directing our growth.

Grant me the willingness to grow up.
This is something I didn't want. I had a lot of adult responsibility and a lot of it wasn't mine and I wanted to enjoy some of the childhood I missed.

A part of that growth was changing the old patterns and behaviours that affected me in today and break the habits, a lot of which were a result of my addiction.

It was that hunger and void within me that I wanted to fill and it could only be filled with spiritual things to make the pain go away.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:32 AM   #13
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sunday, July 13, 2014

Living from Within

We are often deluded into thinking that we will find our pattern for living from someone else. We look for models to imitate. Although we do learn from others, it is from within that our most sure guidance comes. Since each one of us is unique, there is no other human being who can give us an example to copy exactly.

OA recognizes individual differences and the need we each have to discover our true self. By sharing our experience, strength, and hope, we are able to develop our unique potential as individuals. We are each free to take from and give to the group, according to our own unique needs and abilities.

If we are to receive the strength, which our Higher Power wants us to have, we need to listen to the inner voice that tells us what is right for us at any given moment. The most sure guidance comes from within.

May I listen to Your voice.
As I have posted before, when you doubt yourself, you are doubting your God. So many times I discounted the voice because I thought it was mine, only to find that it was good orderly direction from my God.

When you turn your day over to the care of the God of your understanding, the good orderly direction is there. Don`t discount it. Contempt prior to investigation, leaves us blocked and we limit our God as to how He can work in our life.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:46 AM   #14
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Monday, July 14, 2014

Energize, Don't Tranquilize

Food is nourishment for our bodies, not a drug. When we overeat, we sap our energy and dull our responses. Too much food makes us lazy and lethargic. We should eat for energy, not oblivion.

If we have been using food as a narcotic to temporarily deaden the pain of living, then we need to learn other ways to cope. Much of our pain is needless, brought on by egocentric fears and demands. If we accept the fact that we cannot change another person's behavior, then we will not hurt ourselves by anger at what that person does.

At the same time, we will learn to remove ourselves from people and situations, which cause us unnecessary pain. We do not have to be martyrs! Abstinence gives us the energy to make positive changes.

A certain amount of pain, both physical and emotional, is unavoidable. Often, it accompanies growth. To tranquilize ourselves with food is to impede growth.

May I remember to eat for energy instead of oblivion.
Love the concept. Making healthy choices.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:39 AM   #15
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Clean Abstinence

It is easy to become sloppy in our abstinence and in our program. This is where a daily inventory is an invaluable aid. When we catch ourselves cheating just a little on measurements, making excuses to skip meetings, neglecting to follow the promptings of our Higher Power, it is time for housecleaning.

If we have stopped calling in our food plan and are having trouble with abstinence, we may need to get in touch with a food sponsor. Many of us find it hard to admit that we cannot do everything alone! False pride can be our downfall. If we pretend that all is well when it is not, we cut ourselves off from the help of the group.

The time to correct small mistakes is immediately, before they get bigger and make us discouraged. Admitting the mistake to another person clears the way for correction and change.

Thank You for those who help me maintain clean abstinence.
When I think on the topic, the words that came to mind were, "It isn't just about our disease and food, it is about have clean thoughts, which will allow me to stay away from active addiction.

When food takes over my thought patterns, I am in my disease. It is about me getting honest with me.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Post New ThreadReply