Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Spiritual Meditations Post spiritual meditations here to read and feel free to share.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Finding Rest

-----

Title: Finding Rest

Topic(s): Jesus, Christian Living/Situational
Scripture: Mark 6:7-12, Mark 6:30-32, Jeremiah 50:34, Psalm 127:2, Psalm 55:22, Psalm 55:4-8, Matthew 11:28-30, Romans 5:1, Psalm 23:2-3, Psalm 55:16-19, Psalm 91:1-4, Psalm 6:16, Hebrews 4
< previous date

I need a nap. I feel so drained these days; I start every day just as tired as the night before. I've had it up to here; when is it my turn to rest? I'm carrying such a load right now; there's no way I can take a break, even if I wanted to!
Any of that sound familiar? Do you spend your days trying to do it all, to carry every burden, and then wonder why you just can't rest? I'm not sure you'll believe me, but when it comes right down to it, Jesus offers you the rest you need.
What Does God Say?

Sounds simple, doesn't it? Just give Jesus your burden and you'll be fine. In a way, it is simple. We try to carry everything ourselves--our work, our relationships, our worries, our struggles, our guilt and our shame. But Jesus says, "Let me do it." Most importantly, He lifted the burden of our sin. "Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ" (Romans 5:1, ESV). You don't have to worry about making up for your sins before God. Jesus does that for you: He is your righteousness, the perfect sacrifice, and your access to eternal rest in heaven (see Hebrews 4).
What does that mean for today's burden of worry, stress, and struggles? It's not just a "someday" rest but rest for today. In Matthew 11:28-30, Jesus tells us, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light" (ESV).
This is all very "now." There's no waiting for this rest until later. First, come to Jesus. Acknowledge that He's the one who can help, and you can no longer carry it all yourself. That's not an easy step to take; we think we can manage on our own. Jesus invites you to take Him up on His offer of help and see how much better things go.
With Jesus, this sharing of the burden is also a call to intimacy. A yoke of oxen work closely; they're joined by a yoke across the neck and shoulders, heading in the same direction. Working closely with Jesus, walking side by side with Him each day--that's an intimate relationship, a relationship in which He shares your load.
Have you ever kept a problem to yourself, stewing over it for days or months? Then, when you shared it with a good friend, you either found a solution or some peace to deal with it. That's what Jesus offers: An opportunity to rest from the worrisome stress and struggles you face by sharing them with Him. It's what He promises in Psalm 23:2-3,
"He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.
He renews my strength" (NLT).
Rest, peace, renewal--that's what Jesus offers.
My Thoughts

In the Bible, "rest" doesn't mean your troubles magically disappear; but rather, you find peace, shelter, refreshment or restoration. See what rest involves and what goes with it in the verses below:
Psalm 55:4-8, 16-19, 22
Psalm 91:1-4
Psalm 127:2
Jeremiah 6:16
Jeremiah 50:34
In Mark 6, Jesus sent His disciples out on a mission which they do well. Read over Mark 6:7-12 and 6:30-32.
  • What did the disciples do?
  • What concerns did Jesus have as He sent them out? As they came back?
  • Why did Jesus encourage them to rest?
  • What does this tell you about how you should handle your service and responsibilities?
  • What do you need to do today to "come away" with Jesus?
My Part

We began with our need for rest. Yes, most of us could do with more physical rest: getting better sleep, taking a break occasionally to do something other than work or deal with people. But mental and emotional rest is important, too, and learning to share the load with Jesus can be a huge help.
At the heart of learning to rest is a question of trust: Do you trust Jesus to take care of the many things that have you restless and overburdened? Do you believe He can share the load, maybe do an even better job than you can? When your answer is yes, and you operate that way, it will make all the difference.
Start by thinking of three things which keep you from resting today. If you could talk with Jesus over coffee, what would you say about those things? What do you want Him to carry? You may want to write these concerns down or turn them into prayer. Take some time to do that now. Ask Him for the rest only He can give; then remember He's carrying the load with you.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply