Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Spiritual Meditations Post spiritual meditations here to read and feel free to share.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default More Than Gratitude

More Than Gratitude

by Gail Rogers

**Are you overwhelmed with the situation you are in right now?

Becky had often heard the little saying, “Have an attitude of gratitude,” and for the most part she did. She could count her blessings and generally found a thankful spirit.

Yet she could find no thankfulness in this difficult circumstance! Her “attitude of gratitude” could find nothing for which to be thankful for. If she were not careful, her heart could slip into despair and even bitterness.

She didn’t feel like reading her Bible, but she picked it up and flipped through it. Her eyes fell on a familiar verse she had highlighted with red…

“…in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.??? (1 Thessalonians 6:18).

It seemed to hit her with new clarity. It said, “in everything” not, “for everything.” She pondered the thought. If she could not be thankful FOR this particular circumstance, what did it mean to be thankful IN it?

When we ask sincere questions, with hearts hungry to understand God’s ways, the Holy Spirit shows us the answer.

Thoughts tumbled in her mind. She could be thankful for God’s faithfulness to her. As she recalled times past when life seemed out of control, she recalled God’s steadying hand upon her and how His strength had carried her in difficult times (Matthew 11:28).

She could be thankful that God promised to work things out for good…yes; she had seen His hand bring good out of the most troubling things (Romans 8:28).

With fresh realization her heart grew a bit lighter as she saw what God meant…be thankful IN her circumstance because she knew God was bigger than any problem and He would be faithful to help her, His child.

~ Father God, I am truly thankful for my blessings. Yet it is quite another thing to be thankful in the hard times and with the unanswered questions of life. Thank You for understanding that it is not easy for me. Thank You for showing me that when I can’t be thankful for the hard stuff, You remind me just to be thankful IN it. For it is in that where Your character of faithfulness will be proven over and over to me. Thank You for the confidence that You will see me through. Help me to lean hard on Your strength, wisdom and care. Thank You that You will build a track record in my life through Your faithfulness. You enable me to be thankful in hard times because You are my God and You can be trusted with my life, even in the hard stuff! In Jesus’ name I pray, amen

Questions: How do you respond in difficult circumstances? What does it mean to be thankful “in everything” not, “for everything?
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply