Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 10-01-2022, 06:36 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default A Prayer & Some Thoughts - October

October 1

Smile Prayer

Lord,
As I stumble through this life, help me to create more laughter than tears, dispense more cheer than gloom, spread more cheer than despair.
Never let me become so indifferent, that I will fail to see the wonders in the eyes of a child, or the twinkle in the eyes of the aged.
Never let me forget that my total effort is to cheer people up, make them happy, and forget momentarily, all the unpleasantness in their lives.
And in my final moment, may I hear You whisper: “When you made My people smile, you made Me smile.”
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Since I've been in A.A., have I made a start toward becoming more honest?

Do I no longer have to lie to my loved ones? Do I try to have meals on time, and do I try to earn what I make at work? Am I trying to be honest? Have I faced myself as I really am and have I admitted to myself that I'm no good by myself, but have to rely on God to help me do the right thing?

So ............

Am I beginning to find out what it means to be alive and to face the world honestly and without fear?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Letting Go

There are times when we think we see perfectly what others ought to be doing. It pains and disturbs us when loved ones..... our children, perhaps... do not heed our advice. In planning for others, we can easily fall into the trap of enabling. An enabler is a person who supports others in an unhealthy addiction or dependency.

We must not plan the lives of others, no matter how dear they are to us or how attached we become to them. They must have the freedom to live without obligation or the belief that they could not have succeeded without our help. Freedom of choice is a precious right that includes the freedom to make mistakes.

I'll release any tendency I have to plan for others. At all times, my responsibility is to keep on the right track and let others be free.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Serenity

That word "serenity" looked like an impossible goal when we first saw the prayer. In fact, if serenity meant apathy, bitter resignation, or stolid endurance, then we didn't even want to aim at it.
But we found that serenity meant no such thing. . .
Serenity is like a gyroscope that lets us keep our balance no matter what turbulence swirls around us.
And that is a state of mind worth aiming for.

Living Sober Page 19

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"I can repeat the past, or I can create new and better experiences." ~ Shelley
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2022, 05:49 AM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 2

Pride Prayer

Lord,
It’s hard to admit, but I need to be right. I just know if I explain my way one more time with one more example, the other person will see my side. But the more I push my view, the more my words and actions destroy my relationships.

Remind me that relationships are more important than who’s right and who’s wrong. Tell me to back off when I can’t seem to pull the plug on my pride. Cover my frustration with patience. I need to put things into perspective and understand what doesn’t really matter. Please help me to regain my perspective.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We share a common illness and a common cure.

Abstinence is possible as we share it with each other. The program works as we work it together. Each of us is an individual, but we function best with the support of the group. If we neglect to go to meetings and make phone calls, we cut ourselves off from the strength and inspiration we need.
Our Higher Power works through each of us as we share what we have been given.

So ............

Did we achieve and maintain abstinence by ourselves?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Limitations

God has created this world with variety and we all have different gifts. Some people make music, others write stories and many are practical at home or in industry. We need to understand what gifts and skills we have and develop them.

It is both fruitless and negative to spend our time complaining that we are not like other people --- or are without their talents. Such an attitude stops us from discovering our own creative talents. We are so busy comparing ourselves with others that we miss our own uniqueness.

Today I enjoy discovering more about me and the abundant gifts that God has freely given to me. What about you?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Kinship of Common Suffering

Newcomers are approaching A.A. at the rate of tens of thousands yearly. They represent almost every belief and attitude imaginable. We have atheists and agnostics. We have people of nearly every race, culture and religion. In A.A. we are supposed to be bound together in the kinship of a common suffering. Consequently, the full individual liberty to practice any creed or principle or therapy whatever should be a first consideration for us all. Let us not, therefore, pressure anyone with our individual or even our collective views. Let us instead accord each other the respect and love that is due to every human being as he tries to make his way toward the light. Let us always try to be inclusive rather than exclusive; let us remember that each alcoholic among us is a member of A.A., so long as he or she so declares.

~~ Bill W. (A.A. Grapevine, July 1965)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“The ego is the single biggest obstruction to the achievement of anything.” ~ Richard Rose

“Ego is just like dust in the eyes. Without clearing the dust, we can’t see anything clearly, so clear the ego and see the world.” ~ Anonymous
Old 10-03-2022, 06:21 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 3

Prayer To Let Go

Lord,
Would help me to simply let go of all the fears and worries, problems and doubts, guilt and disappointments that seem to be filling my heart and mind so often, during the course of a day.

Fill my hurting soul with Your love and peace I pray. Fill the emptiness and pain that is tearing my life asunder. Lord, You know what is in my heart and why I am going through this time of fear and worry. Help me Lord, to take every thought captive, to hand it over to You as it rears up in my mind.

Lord, I also ask that You would teach me how to submit my life to You. Show me how to abide in You day by day, and instruct me how-to live-in spirit and truth. Help me Lord, to give control of my life over to You in every way, and to become the person You would have me be.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We who have learned to put our alcoholic problem in God's hands, can help others to do so.

We can be used as a connection between an alcoholic's need and God's supply of strength. We in Alcoholics Anonymous can be uniquely useful, just because we have the misfortune or fortune to be alcoholics ourselves. Do I want to be a uniquely useful person?

So ............

Will I use my own greatest defeat and failure and sickness as a weapon to help others?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Perspective

In our daily lives we often take a very short perspective. We see what is worrisome today, what is pressing hardest, or what is most frightening or confusing. Eventually, we may look back and have a totally different idea about what was truly important on this day.

Let us take a moment now to remember what does endure, what we value most, what counts in the long run. For a brief quiet time, we can let go of all the anxieties of this moment. During these few quiet moments, we will identify our tensions and then place them totally into the hands of our Higher Power. This is our time to let go of our worries and be refreshed. It will provide a background of serenity for our day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beginning

I knew I had to have a new beginning, and this beginning had to be here. I could not start anywhere else. I had to let go of the past and forget the future.
As long as I held on to the past with one hand and grabbed at the future with the other hand, I had nothing to hold on to today with. So I had to begin here, now.

Came To Believe Page 46

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“Your reality is as you perceive it to be. So, it is true that by altering this perception we can alter our reality.” ~ William Constantine

“Sometimes a change of perspective is all it takes to see the light.” ~ Dan Brown
Old 10-04-2022, 05:58 AM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 4

Temptations Prayer

Lord,
Help me to balance my life. I no longer wish to give into my wants.
I want to focus on what I need.
I can be so tempted for what I want that I can see how it is leading me in the wrong direction.
I ask You for strength to overcome temptations, which are so temporary.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When I was drinking, I was absolutely selfish.

I thought of myself first, last, and always. The universe revolved around me at the center. When I woke up in the morning with a hangover, my only thought was how terrible I felt and about what I could do to make myself feel better. And the only thing I could think of was more liquor. To quit was impossible. I couldn't see beyond myself and my own need for another drink.

So ............

Can I now look out and beyond my own selfishness?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Resentment and Anger

Resentment is anger that we don't want to turn over to our Higher Power.
Sometimes we want to keep our anger. Maybe we want to "get even." It's hard to be spiritual and full of anger at the same time. When we hold on to anger, it turns into self-will. We get angry from time to time. This is normal. But we now have a program to help us let go of anger. We also know that stored-up anger can drive us back to alcohol and other drugs. Instead of trying to "get even," let's work at keeping anger out of our hearts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The First Drink

The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.

The almost certain consequences that follow taking even a glass of beer do not crowd into the mind to deter us. If these thoughts occur, they are hazy and readily supplanted with the old threadbare idea that this time we shall handle ourselves like other people. There is a complete failure of the kind of defense that keeps one from putting his hand on a hot stove.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 24

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“We do not want to believe that we cannot control alcohol and that alcohol is, in truth, controlling and dictating our lives. When you free yourself of a dictator, like alcohol, the freedom that you experience is totally amazing and so empowering. You get your life back.” ~ Liz Hemingway
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 10-05-2022, 05:41 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 5

Prayer For Strength

Lord, please strengthen our hearts, and remind us to encourage one another when the troubles of life start to overwhelm us.
Please guard our hearts from depression. Give us the strength to rise up each day and fight against the struggles which seek to weigh us down.
Amen.

~ John Barnett

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

In taking a personal inventory of ourselves, we have to face facts as we really are.

We have to stop running away. We must face reality. We must see ourselves as we really are. We must admit our faults openly and try to correct them. We must try to see where we have been dishonest, impure, selfish, and unloving. We do not do this once and forget it. We do it every day of our lives, as long as we live. We are never done with checking up on ourselves.

So ............

Am I taking a daily inventory of myself ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Urgency

One thing at a time. That's all we have to do. Not two things at once, but one thing done in peace.
One task at a time. One feeling at a time. One day at a time. One problem at a time. One step at a time. One pleasure at a time.

Relax. Let go of urgency. Begin calmly now. Take one thing at a time. See how everything works out?

I will peacefully approach one thing at a time. When in doubt, I will take first things first.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guard Against A Slip

Suppose we fall short of our chosen ideals and stumble? Does this mean we are going to get drunk? Some people tell us so. But this is only a half-truth.

It depends on us and on our motives. If we are sorry for what we have done, and have the honest desire to let God take us to better things, we believe we will be forgiven and will have learned our lesson. If we are not sorry, and our conduct continues to harm others, we are quite sure to drink. These are facts out of our experience.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 70

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Recovery is something that you have to work on every single day and it’s something that doesn’t get a day off.” ~ Demi Lovato
Old 10-06-2022, 04:08 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 6

Prayer for Generosity

Lord, teach me to be generous:
to serve you as you deserve;
to give and not to count the cost;
to fight and not to heed the wounds;
to toil and not to seek to rest;
to labour and to ask for no reward
save that of knowing I do your will.
Amen.

~ Jacques Sevin, SJ (1887-1951)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When we came into A.A., we came to believe in a Power greater than ourselves.

We came to believe in that Divine Principle in the universe which we call God, and to whom we could turn for help. Each morning we have a quiet time. We ask God for the power to stay sober for the next twenty-four hours. And each night we thank Him for helping us to keep sober for that day.

So ............

Do I believe that each man or woman I see in A.A. is a demonstration of the power of God to change a human being from a drunkard to a sober person?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Walk The Walk

It is easy to talk about our values. But when the clerk at the store gives extra change by mistake, those values get put to the test. It feels good to read about spirituality in a comfortable chair at home. But when we get stuck in a traffic jam, it’s hard to live by our values.

That’s why practicing our program daily helps. Practice prepares us for the tough times. Maybe we’ll feel like drinking once a year. Maybe we’ll only get the wrong amount of change once a year. But if we live our values daily, we’ll be ready when the hard times come. Remember: “It’s not enough to talk the talk. You have to walk the walk.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The 12 Steps Will

When the 12 Steps are applied – and practiced, they will:

a. Remove the mental obsession with alcohol.
b. Eliminate the emotional compulsion to drink
c. Produce a personality change – necessary for recovery
d. Produce a new attitude and outlook on life
e. Assist me to maintain emotional balance
f. Assist me to achieve emotional security – a life without fear
g. Help me to gain and grow in emotional maturity
h. Assist me to lead a useful life with purpose
i. Help me clean up the wreckage of the past
j. Assist me to have and maintain healthy positive relationships in my life
k. Produce peace and serenity in my life
l. Provide a way for me to be happy and sober
m. Be a Daily Design For Living, so that I can stay happy and sober
n. And, much, much more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"You are human, you will make mistakes, and it's one of the most beautiful things about being human, but you must learn from your mistakes, otherwise your life will have a lot of unnecessary pain." ~ Rhonda Byrne
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 10-07-2022, 05:20 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 7

Offering the Day

Lord,
We come to you before we begin our day's work:
We ask you to bless this day.
May we find whatever is good in the tasks we are set
and the time that we share.
Help us when we find some things too hard to understand;
Teach us to be fair and generous with one another;
So may we thank you for a day well spent.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

In A.A., alcoholics find a way to solve their personality problems.

They do this by recovering three things. First, they recover their personal integrity. They pull themselves together. They get honest with themselves and with other people. They face themselves and their problems honestly, instead of running away. They take a personal inventory of themselves to see where they really stand. Then they face the facts instead of making excuses for themselves.

So ............

Have I recovered my integrity?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Expect

We are beginning to learn that we get what we expect.
Why? If we believe that people are out to get us, we'll not treat them well. We will think it's okay to "get them" before they "get us." Then, they'll be angry and want to get even. And on it goes. It's great when we can meet the world with a balance. We are honest people. We can expect others to be fair with us. We get the faith, strength, and courage to do this because of our trust in our Higher Power.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Self-Respect Through Sacrifice

At the beginning we sacrificed alcohol. We had to, or it would have killed us. But we couldn't get rid of alcohol unless we made other sacrifices. We had to toss self-justification, self-pity, and anger right out the window. We had to quit the crazy contest for personal prestige and big bank balances. We had to take personal responsibility for our sorry state and quit blaming others for it.

Were these sacrifices? Yes, they were. To gain enough humility and self-respect to stay alive at all, we had to give up what had really been our dearest possessions--our ambitions and our illegitimate pride.

As Bill Sees It Page 97

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Spiritual maturity is neither instant nor automatic; it is gradual, progressive development that will take the rest of your life." ~ Rick Warren
Old 10-08-2022, 05:32 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 8

Prayer For Inner Strength

Lord,
I’m upset and disturbed, and I pray that You will grant me the grace of inner Peace.
Give me the patience I need to cope with the burdens and anxieties of my life.
Grant me the strength to better deal with my problems, and the understanding to be more tolerant and kinder to others.
Teach me to seek after Your will.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Alcoholics recover their faith in a Power greater than themselves.

They admit that they're helpless by themselves and they call on that Higher Power for help. They surrender their lives to God, as they understand Him. They put their alcoholic problem in God's hands and leave it there. They recover their faith in a Higher Power that can help them.

So ............

Have I recovered my faith?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Self-Care

Our program is a selfish program. It tells us to let go of what others think. We're staying sober for ourselves, not for anyone else. Our body and our spirit are at the stack. And we know what we need to do to stay sober. If we feel shaky about going to a party, we don't go---no matter who gets upset. If our job makes it hard to stay sober, we get a different one---no matter who it upsets.
It's simple, we must take good care of ourselves before we can be good to others. In doing this, we learn how to be a friend, a good parent, a good spouse. we have to care for ourselves to have good relationships.
Do I believe it is okay to be selfish when it comes to my program?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Healthy Respect

Fear may have originally pushed some of us toward looking into the possibility that we may have a drinking problem.
And over a short period, fear alone may help some of us stay away from a drink.
But a fearful state is not a very happy or relaxed one to maintain for very long.
So we try to develop a healthy respect for the power of alcohol, instead of a fear of it, just as people have a healthy respect for cyanide, iodine, or any other poison.

Living Sober Pages 13-14

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.” ~ Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2022, 06:12 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 9

Prayer to Enjoy Life

Lord,
We move so fast that sometimes we see so little in our daily travels.
Slow us down. Create in us a desire to pause. Help us to pursue moments of contemplation. Help us to see in a deeper way, to become more aware of what speaks to us in beauty and truth.

Teach us how to enjoy being. Encourage us to be present to the gifts that are ours. May we be more fully aware of what we see, taste, touch, hear, and smell. May this awareness of our senses sharpen our perception of our everyday treasures and lead us to greater joy and gratitude.

Grant us the courage to be our true selves. Help us to let go of being overly concerned about what others think of us or of how successful we are. May our inner freedom be strengthened and our delight in life be activated.

Life is meant to be celebrated, enjoyed, delighted in, and embraced in all its mystery. Guide us to our inner child. Draw us to your playground of creation, so that we will live more fully.
Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We should be free from alcohol for good.

It's out of our hands and in the hands of God, so we don't need to worry about it or even think about it any more. But if we haven't done this honestly and fully, the chances are that it will become our problem again. Since we don't trust God to take care of our problem for us, we reach out and take the problem back to ourselves. Then it's our problem again and we're in the same old mess we were in before.

So ............

Do I trust God to take care of the problem for me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Gossip

It is so easy for me to focus on the failings of others and miss my own. My attraction to gossip is that it is usually about other people and that keeps the attention away from me. Sometimes I am made to "feel good" by exposing the weaknesses of others.

This attitude needs to be changed if I am ever to fully enjoy the fruits of sobriety. I do not need to be drinking to behave like a drunk; gossip and character assassination are reminiscent of my past addictive behavior. I do not need the side of me that seeks to destroy the character of others. With my spiritual program, I am trying to change.

May I grow in my forgiveness and acceptance of others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Conviction and Compromise

One qualification for a useful life is give-and-take, the ability to compromise cheerfully. Compromise comes hard to us "all or nothing" drunks. Nevertheless, we must never lose sight of the fact that progress is nearly always characterized by a series of improving compromises.

Of course, we cannot always compromise. There are circumstances in which it is necessary to stick flat-footed to one's convictions until the issue is resolved. Deciding when to compromise and when not to compromise always calls for the most careful discrimination.

As Bill Sees It Page 59

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most importantly, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.” ~ Steve Jobs
Old 10-10-2022, 05:57 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 10

Prayer for Temptations

Lord ,
I pray that you will give me a renewed sense of strength and peace when I wake up each morning.
I pray that I will be more aware of your guidance and more aware of the direction you want me to go each day.
I pray that I will be more aware of the POWER you have given me today to overcome obstacles and temptations.
And I pray that you will give me the understanding of how to access that POWER more fully than I have been able to do previously.

Lord, I ask that you give me a feeling of joy and a feeling of freshness as I awaken to a new day.
Show me the opportunities you are putting before me.
Warn me of the traps that I will encounter along my path.
I will be more thankful today for little blessings than I have been previously.
And I will yield myself today and follow you more closely than I have previously.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When I came into A.A., I came into a new world.

A sober world. A world of sobriety, peace, serenity, and happiness. But I know that if I take just one drink, I'll go right back into that old world. That alcoholic world. That world of drunkenness, conflict, and misery. That alcoholic world is not a pleasant place for an alcoholic to live in. Looking at the world through the bottom of a whiskey glass is no fun after you've become an alcoholic.

So ............

Do I want to go back to that alcoholic world?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Feelings

Life is full of feelings. We can be happy, sad, mad, scared. These feelings can come and go quickly. Or we may hang on to them. As recovering alcoholics, we used to hang on to feelings that made us feel bad. We let them make a "nest" in our hair. We used our feelings as an excuse to drink. Now we're learning to hang on to our good feelings. We can let go of anger, hurt, and fear. We can shoo away the birds of sadness and welcome the birds of happiness.

"You cannot prevent the birds of sadness from passing over your head, but you can prevent their making their nest in your head." ~ Chinese proverb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The First Drink

The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.

The almost certain consequences that follow taking even a glass of beer do not crowd into the mind to deter us. If these thoughts occur, they are hazy and readily supplanted with the old threadbare idea that this time we shall handle ourselves like other people. There is a complete failure of the kind of defense that keeps one from putting his hand on a hot stove.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 24

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"A man never discloses his own character so clearly as when he describes another's." ~ Johann Paul Richter
Old 10-11-2022, 05:23 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 11

Prayer of Gratitude

Thank you, Lord, for the blessings you have bestowed on my life. You have given me family and friends who bless me every day with kind words and actions. They lift me up in ways that keep my eyes focused.

Also, thank you, Lord, for keeping me safe. You help me make better choices and provide me with advisors to help me with life’s difficult decisions. You speak to me in so many ways, if I just listen.

And Lord, I am so grateful for keeping those around me safe and loved. I hope that you provide me with the ability and sense to show them every day how much they matter. I hope that you give me the ability to give to them the same kindness they have provided to me.

I am extremely grateful for all of your blessings in my life, Lord. I pray that you remind me of just how blessed I am and that you never allow me to forget to show my gratitude in prayer and returned acts of kindness.
Amen

~ Kelli Mahoney

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

How good a sponsor am I?

When I bring new members to a meeting, do I feel that my responsibility has ended? Or do I make it my job to stay with them until they have either become good members of A.A. or have found another sponsor? If they don't show up for a meeting, do I say to myself: "Well they've had it put up to them, so if they don't want it, there's nothing more I can do? " Or do I look them up and find out whether there is a reason for their absences or that they don't want A.A.? Do I go out of my way to find out if there is anything more I can do to help?

So ............

Am I a good sponsor?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Pain

Many of us as children were taught to hide our pain, to act as if we had none. We look for ways to hide our pain. Alcohol helped us do this. But the pain always returned. We were ashamed that we were hurt. We thought we were the only ones who were hurt so badly. and, worst of all, we thought our pain meant we were bad people.
Ours is a program of honesty. As we live life, there will be troubles, and there will be pain. But now we know that we don't try to hide it. If we hide our wounds, they will not heal. We will listen to others' pain and ask them to listen to ours. This will help us continue our journey in recovery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A New Life

When we work at our Twelve Steps, the old life of guzzling and fuzzy thinking, and all that goes with it, gradually dies, and we acquire a different and better way of life. As our shortcomings are removed, one of us dies, and another life of us lives. We in AA die to live.

Experience, Strength and Hope, p. 156

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Sometimes we have to start over again when we don’t want to, didn’t plan on it, and don’t think it’s fair." ~ Pia Mellody
Old 10-12-2022, 04:45 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 12

Prayer For The Overwhelmed

Lord,
I do not see a way out of the burden I feel, but I put all my faith and trust in You for a path to open up, that new opportunities and new relationships will grace my life.
Give me strength, to overcome these negative feelings and to get all the tasks that I have to do, completed efficiently, effectively, and on time!
Calm my mind, give me peace, as I recollect all the tasks I need to complete.
Give me patience to be still and remember that You will make all things work together for my good.
Everything that happens to me happens for a reason – to make me stronger.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Alcoholism required me to drink, whether I wanted to or not.

Insanity dominated my life and was the essence of my disease. It robbed me of the freedom of choice over drinking and, therefore, robbed me of all other choices. When I drank, I was unable to make effective choices in any part of my life and life became unmanageable. I ask God to help me understand and accept the full meaning of the disease of alcoholism.

So ............

So have I accepted my alcoholism??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Life

I haven't always known how to enjoy life, but Working the Twelve Steps is more than recovery from alcohol. It's also about how to enjoy life. Our illness pulled us toward death. Our spirits were dying, and maybe our bodies were dying. Now our spirits are coming to life. We feel more alive than ever before. Our feelings are coming alive. We feel hope and faith, love, and joy, and even hurt and fear. We notice the sunshine as well as the clouds. We know life needs both sunshine and rain, both joy and pain. We are alive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Toward Maturity

Many oldsters who have put our A.A. 'booze cure' to severe but successful tests still find they often lack emotional sobriety. To attain this, we must develop real maturity and balance (which is to say, humility) in our relations with ourselves, with our fellows, and with God. Let A.A. never be a closed corporation; let us never deny our experience, for whatever it may be worth, to the world around us. Let our individual members heed the call to every field of human endeavor. Let them carry the experience and spirit of A.A. into all these affairs, for whatever good they may accomplish. For not only has God saved us from alcoholism; the world has received us back into its citizenship.

As Bill Sees It Page 244

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“The world we have created is a product of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.” ~ Albert Einstein
Old 10-13-2022, 06:12 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 13

Frustrated & Overwhelmed Prayer

Lord,
Life can be so overwhelming at times; frustration has gotten the better of me today. I feel as though I am weary but there is yet so much to do and there seems to be so little time. My workload seems to be growing; the demands on me from everyone are just simply too much for me today, it’s too overwhelming. My energy is drained and I feel as though I am losing hope, that this life would not get any easier.

Give me strength, Lord, to overcome these negative feelings and to get all the tasks that I have to do. That they be completed, efficiently and effectively, and on time!
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Outline the program of action to new prospects.

Explaining how you made a self-appraisal, how you straightened out your past, and why you are now endeavoring to help them. It is important for them to realize that your attempt to pass this on to them plays a vital part in your recovery. The more hopeless they feel, the better. They will be more likely to follow your suggestions. Tell them about the fellowship of A.A. and if they show interest, lend them a copy of the Big Book.

So ............

Can I tell the A.A. story to another alcoholic?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Self-Honesty

Our lies to ourselves kept us so fully in the dark. We sometimes told "sincere" lies because we honestly did not distinguish the truth within ourselves. For so long we had preferred dishonest rationalizations, and we had come to believe them.

We slowly cleanse ourselves of the lies that we told ourselves. With this kind of honesty comes an inner peace with ourselves, and we can say, "I know myself."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why Worry?

There are many short phrases and expressions in AA which make sound sense.
'First Things First': solving our immediate problems before we try to solve all the others . . .
'Easy Does it.' Relax a little. Try for inner contentment. No one individual can carry all the burdens of the world. Everyone has problems. Getting drunk won't solve them.
'Twenty-four hours a day.' Today is the day. Doing our best, living each day to the fullest is the art of living. Yesterday is gone, and we don't know whether we will be here tomorrow. If we do a good job of living today, and if tomorrow comes for us, then the chances are we will do a good job when it arrives - so why worry about it?

Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, Page 382

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“When life gets hectic and you feel overwhelmed, take a moment to focus on the people and things you are most grateful for. When you have an attitude of gratitude, frustrating troubles will fall by the wayside.” ~ Dana Arcuri
Old 10-14-2022, 06:24 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 14

Prayer to Clear My Mind

Clear my mind of doubt, fear, worry, sadness, despair, lust, temptation, envy, jealousy, malice, pride and anything that stops me from becoming a better person daily.
Give me the strength and clarity of mind to find my purpose.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

A.A. work is one hundred percent voluntary.

It depends on each and every one of our members to volunteer to do his or her share. Newcomers can sit on the sidelines until they have got over their nervousness and confusion. They have a right to be helped by all, until they can stand on their own feet. But the time inevitably comes when they have to speak up and volunteer to do their share in meetings and in twelfth step work. Until that time comes, they are not a vital part of A.A. They are only in the process of being assimilated.

So ............

Has my time come to volunteer?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

We

Even in recovery, we alcoholics often feel we are not enough.
Maybe it's leftover shame from our drinking days. But we are enough. We are of great value. We all need each other to stay sober. Each of us needs other recovering people to help us remember the hell of alcoholism. We can forget how bad it was, but telling our stories makes us remember.
When you feel, you don't want to stay sober for yourself, then stay sober for your brothers and sisters in the program. They need you. You're their recovery, as they are in yours. There may be days you don't feel glad to be sober. But your friends in this fellowship are glad you're sober. They thank-you for your sobriety

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Surrender

On the face of it, surrendering certainly does not seem like winning. But it is in AA

Only after we have come to the end of our rope, hit a stone wall in some aspect of our lives beyond which we can go no further; only when we hit "bottom" in despair and surrender, can we accomplish sobriety which we could never accomplish before.
We must, and we do, surrender in order to win.

Alcoholics Anonymous, 2nd Edition, pp. 341-2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“When someone tries to trigger you by insulting you or by doing or saying something that irritates you, take a deep breath and switch off your ego. Remember that if you are easily offended, you are easily manipulated.” ~ Mitra Phukan
Old 10-15-2022, 06:05 AM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 15

Prayer When Lonely

Lord, there is so much swirling all around me begging for my attention – people, places, things, tasks. Still, in the midst of it all, I feel so alone—as if I stand in this swirling vortex by myself. For whatever reason, though people surround me, I’m unable to connect with them. It seems that when I try to open up, I am rejected and this rejection insulates me from ever trying again. For now I feel so alone.

Lord, right now I need this feeling of loneliness to diminish. Help me to reach out to those around me, help me to do so with boldness.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Spiritual experience:

With few exceptions, our members find that they have tapped an unsuspected inner resource, which they presently identify with their own conception of a Power greater than themselves. Most of us think this awareness of a Power greater than ourselves is the essence of spiritual experience. Some of us call it God consciousness. In any case, willingness, honesty and open mindedness are the essentials of recovery.

So ............

Have I tapped that inner resource which can change my life?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Honest Admission

Out of honest admission of our weakness comes strength. We are able to see ourselves realistically and with clarity. When we are humble enough to admit our wrongs, we get rid of the false front we had tried to maintain. This frees us to be who we are, without pretense.

When we admit our faults, we are cleansed. We no longer have to try to hide and cover up our weaknesses and mistakes. Instead of pretending to be perfect, we can be human and satisfied with our progress.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Irrational

I well remember the shock I received when a prominent doctor in Chicago told me of cases where pressure of the spinal fluid actually ruptured the brain. No wonder an alcoholic is strangely irrational. Who wouldn't be, with such a fevered brain? Normal drinkers are not so affected, nor can they understand the aberrations of the alcoholic.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 140

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"I used to think that the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." ~ Robin Williams
Post New ThreadReply