Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Prayers and Prayer Requests

Share This Forum!  

Prayers and Prayer Requests Post your prayer requests and favorite prayers here.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 08-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default The Lord's Prayer

The Lord's Prayer

Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation. But deliver us from evil. Amen.

Christian
source: The Book of Common Prayer 1979
Matthew 6:9-13
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

PRINCIPLES FROM THE LORD'S PRAYER
Hallowed by Your name. Prayer is worship. With these words, Jesus implied that our first responsibility in talking to God is to acknowledge Him for who He is. Unless we do, we have no right to request access To Whom It May Concern; God's presence.
Your kingdom come. Your will be done. Prayer is asking for God's work to be done. Nothing that we request has any eternal value unless it fits into His sovereign plan. Therefore, we must trust God's plan and realize that His answers must be in step with His will.
Give us day by day our daily bread. Prayer is trusting God for what we need. Only God can provide us with our daily sustenance. Therefore, it would be foolish to ignore His hand in supplying us with our basic physical needs.
And forgive us our sin. Prayer is our opportunity for cleansing. Only through talking with God and asking Him to forgive us when we have missed the mark can we become clean. When we approach God and humbly acknowledge our sin, we can go away cleansed and prepared for service.
And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. Prayer is an acknowledgment that temptation is serious business. Because we are not capable of standing up to satan's power in our own strength, we need help in fighting the temptations that confront us each day.
Q. How does God want us to pray so that He will listen to us?
A. First, we must pray from the heart to no other than the one true God, who has revealed Himself in His Word, asking for everything He has commanded us to ask for. Second, we must acknowledge our need and misery, hiding nothing, and humble ourselves in His majestic presence. Third, we must rest on this unshakable foundation; even though we do not deserve it. God will surely listen to our prayer because of Christ our Lord. That is what He promised us in His Word.
Q. What did God command us to pray for?
A. Everything we need, spiritually and physically, as embraced in the prayer Christ our Lord himself taught us.
Q. What is this prayer?
A. Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name, Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.
Q. Why did Christ command us to call God our Father?
A. At the very beginning of our prayer, Christ wants to kindle in us what is basic to our prayer--the childlike awe and trust that God through Christ has become our Father. Our fathers do not refuse us the things of this life; God our Father will even less refuse to give us what we ask in faith.
Q. Why the words in heaven?
A. These words teach us not to think of God's heavenly majesty as something earthly, and to expect everything for body and soul from His almighty power.
Q. What does the first request mean?
A. Hallowed be Your name means, help us to really know You, to bless, worship, and praise You for all Your works and for all that shines forth from them; You're almighty power, wisdom, kindness, justice, mercy, and truth. And it means help us to direct all our living--what we think, say and do--so that Your name will never be blasphemed because of us but always honored and praised.
Q. What does the second request mean?
A. Your kingdom come means, rule us by Your Word and Spirit in such a way that more and more we submit to You. Keep Your church strong and add to it. Destroy the devils work; destroy every force which revolts You and every conspiracy against Your Word. Do this until Your kingdom is so complete and perfect that in it You are all in all.
Q. What does the third request mean?
A. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven means, help us and all people to reject our own wills and to obey Your will without any back talk. Your will alone is good. Help us one and all to carry out the work we are called to as willingly and faithfully as the angels in heaven.
Q. What does the fourth request mean?
A. Give us today our daily bread means to take care of all our physical needs so that we come to know that You are the only source of everything good and that neither our work and worry nor Your gifts can do us any good without Your blessing. And so help us to give up our trust in creatures and to put trust in You alone.
Q. What does the fifth request mean?
A. Forgive us our debts as we also have forgiven our debtors means because of Christ's blood do not hold against us, poor sinners that we are, any of the sins we do or the evil that constantly clings to us. Forgive us just as we are fully determined as evidence of Your grace in us to forgive our neighbors.
Q. What does the sixth request mean?
A. And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from the evil one means by ourselves we are too weak to hold our own even for a moment. And our sworn enemies--the devil, the world and our own flesh--never slot attacking us. And so, Lord, uphold us and make us strong with the strength of Your Holy Spirit so that we may not go down to defeat in this spiritual struggle but may firmly resist our enemies until we finally win the complete victory.
Q. What does Your conclusion to this prayer mean?
A. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever means we have made all these requests of You because, as our all powerful King, You not only want to, but are able to give us all that is good and because Your holy name, and not we ourselves should receive all the praise, forever.
Q. What does that little word Amen express?
A. Amen means this is sure to be. It is ever more sure that God listens to my prayer than that I really desire what I pray for.
--Author Unknown
Old 08-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

THE LORD'S PRAYER

Our Father who art in heaven.

Yes?

Don't interrupt me. I'm praying.

But, you called Me.

Called You? No, I didn't call You. I'm praying. Our Father who art in heaven.

There, you did it again.

Did what?

Called Me. You said, Our father, who art in heaven. Well, here I am. What's on your mind?

But, I didn't mean anything by it. I was, you know, just saying my prayers for the day. I always say the Lord's Prayer. It makes me feel good, kind of like fulfilling a duty.

Well, all right. Go on.

Okay, Hallowed be Thy name...

Hold it right there. What do you mean by that?

By what?

By hallowed be Thy name?

It means, it means, good grief, I don't know what it means. How in the world should I know? It's just a part of the prayer. By the way, what does it mean?

It means honored, holy, wonderful.

Hey, that makes sense. I never thought about what hallowed meant before. Thanks. Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.

Do you really mean that?

Sure, why not?

What are you doing about it?

Doing? Why, nothing, I guess. I just think it would be kind of neat if You got control of everything down here like You have up there. We're kinda in a mess down here You know.

Yes, I know; but, have I got control of you?

Well, I go to church.

That isn't what I asked you. What about your bad temper? You've really got a problem there, you know. And then there's the way you spend your money-all on yourself. And what about the kind of books you read?

Now hold on just a minute! Stop picking on me! I'm just as good as some of the rest of those people at church!

Excise me. I thought you were praying for My will to be done. If that is to happen, it will have to start with the ones who are praying for it. Like you, for example.

Oh, all right. I guess I do have some hang-ups. Now that You mention it, I could probably name some others.

So could I.

I haven't thought about it very much until now, but I really would like to cut out some of those things. I would like to, you know, be really free.

Good. Now we're getting somewhere. We'll work together-you and Me. I'm proud of you.

Look, Lord, if You don't mind, I need to finish up here. This is taking a lot longer than it usually does. Give us this day, our daily bread.

You need to cut out the bread. You're overweight as it is.

Hey, wait a minute! What is this? Here I was doing my religious duty, and all of a sudden You break in and remind me of all my hang-ups.

Praying is a dangerous thing. You just might get what you ask for. Remember, you called Me, and here I am. It's too late to stop now. Keep praying.

pause...

Well, go on.

I'm scared to.

Scared? Of what?

I know what You'll say.

Try Me.

Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us.

What about Carol?

See? I knew it! I knew you would bring her up! Hey, Lord, she's told lies about me, spread stories. She never paid back the money she owes me. I've sworn to get even with her!

But, your prayer, what about your prayer?

I didn't mean it.

Well, at least you're honest. But, It's quite a load carrying around all that bitterness and resentment, isn't it?

Yes, but I'll feel better as soon as I get even with her. Boy, have I got some plans for her. She'll wish she had never been born.

No, you won't feel any better. You'll feel worse. Revenge isn't sweet. You know how unhappy you are, well, I can change that.

You can? How?

Forgive Carol. Then I'll forgive you; and the hate and sin will be Carol's problem-not yours. You will have settled the problem as far as you are concerned.

Oh, you know, you're right. You always are. And more than I want revenge, I want to be right with You, (sigh). All right, all right, I forgive her.

There now! Wonderful! How do you feel?

Hmmmm. Well, not bad. Not bad at all! In fact, I feel pretty great! You know, I don't think I'll go to bed uptight tonight. I haven't been getting much rest, You know.

Yeah, I know but, you're not through with your prayer are you? Go on.

Oh, all right. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Good! Good! I'll do that. Just don't put yourself in a place where you can be tempted.

What do you mean by that?

You know what I mean.

Yeah. I know.

Okay. Go ahead. Finish your prayer.

For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever. Amen.

Do you know what would bring me glory, what would really make Me happy?

No, but I'd like to know. I want to please You now. I've really made a mess of things. I want to truly follow You. I can see now how great that would be. So, tell me, how do I make You happy?

You just did.
Received in email
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 11-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

LORD'S PRAYER

This prayer contains fundamentals of our program.

The unity of AA is well expressed where we all acknowledge a common Father.

The concept of His power is indicated when we place Him in heaven, well above our mortal effort. Our goal of being restored to sanity is in the words "Thy kingdom come" because the mess we once made of our lives was surely not to His liking.

We express the Third Step in almost the same words when we say "Thy will be
done on earth as it is in Heaven." And asking for our daily bread-not food for a whole lifetime, not for next year nor next month, but for our daily bread--couldn't be closer to the 24 hour program. Then we can hardly ask forgiveness for trespasses we don't acknowledge as wrongs, so the mortal inventory is implied there.

Finally, the Eleventh Step is certainly close to our petition that we not be led into temptation but delivered from evil, because we know His will for us could not be that of continued wrongdoing.

In one way or another, a tremendous part of our program is contained in the
Lord's Prayer.

Received in email from Bluidkiti

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Please keep an open mind.

After a wonderful couple of days of speakers and healing messages, I came to an understanding that I do not like closing the meeting with the Lord's Prayer.

This was brought home to me at the closing ceremony, when a Native-American woman held my hand, but did not repeat the words.

This is a spiritual program, not a religious one and the Lord's Prayer is a religious one. It excludes people of other faiths.

In our Al-Anon meeting, we open with a moment of silence to reflect on why we are there and then have the opening Al-Anon greeting and we close with the Serenity Prayer.

I went to a Gospel Retreat with my two sisters and the topic was The Lord's Prayer. The speaker was a professor at McMaster Universaity. It was very healing, what stood out for me was forgiveness. It was an amend to my sisters, my being there. The three of us got up at the talent show and won. We were called the Harmony Sisters by another woman. For me it was very a very spiritual experience. The song we sang was about letting go of fear and finding love and forgiveness. It was called "I'm Free."

"Im Free" By Lynda Randle With David Phelps

http://www.gracehope.com/video/?v=u_grGGxlPJZF8

http://www.songlyrics.com/gaither-vo...m-free-lyrics/

I have seen people step outside of the circle. I knew a dear friend who said, "My parents" instead of God at the beginning of the Serenity Prayer.

We need to be mindful of not excluding others who believe differently. As I shared with this same friend, my God in today doesn't fit into a church. I don't want to limit God as to how He can work in my life by my limited outlook and narrow vision. I don't want to know who God is because I just might stop looking for Him.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

I have no problem with it for myself, although at one time I did. It is the exclusion that I have a problem with. When I see someone standing outside of the circle, I feel bad. I know it is their choice, yet have a problem with anyone feeling like they are excluded.

It says we don't walk behind or ahead of anyone, we walk side by side. Everyone from ALL religions qualify for this program. It works for people of all colour, creed, belief, situation, no matter what journey they walked to find themselves at the doors of recovery. We are all Children of God, whoever you perceive that God to be.

There is nothing more spiritual than joining hands at the end of a meeting. When I first got sober, they just stood at their seats and joined hands with the person beside them. The women of the women's group started spreading the circle around town, and just about every group in the city now closes in a circle. It doesn't matter what prayer you say, it is the feeling of oneness when you do it. The women's group also says the Promises.

Quote:
I read an article by a rabbi who said there is nothing in the Lords prayer that would cause religious conflict for Jews in AA.
The lords prayer contains the 12 steps and reconciles with the big book.

If the lords prayer drives em away, the booze will drive em back.
Fear no evil.

JJ

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

The Lord's Prayer

It is very, very good. Saw it many years ago, still good in today.

Our Father Who Art In Heaven.
Yes?
Don't interrupt me. I'm praying.
But -- you called ME!
Called you?
No, I didn't call you.
I'm praying.
Our Father who art in Heaven.
There -- you did it again!
Did what?
Called ME.
You said,
"Our Father who art in Heaven"
Well, here I am.
What's on your mind?
But I didn't mean anything by it.
I was just saying my prayers for the day.
I always say the Lord's Prayer.
It makes me feel good,
kind of like fulfilling a duty.
Well, all right.
Go on.
Okay, Hallowed be thy name . .
Hold it right there.
By what?
By "Hallowed be thy name"?
It means, it means . . good grief,
I don't know what it means.
How in the world should I know?
It's just a part of the prayer.
By the way, what does it mean?
It means honored, holy, wonderful.
Hey, that makes sense.
I never thought about what 'hallowed' meant before.
Thanks.
Thy Kingdom come,
Thy will be done,
on earth as it is in Heaven.
Do you really mean that?
Sure, why not?
What are you doing about it?
Doing? Why, nothing, I guess.
I just think it would be kind of neat if You got control of everything down here like You have up there.
We're in a mess down here you know.
Yes, I know;
but, have I got control of you?
Well, I go to church.
That isn't what I asked you.
What about your bad temper?
You've really got a problem there, you know.
And then there's the way you spend your money --
all on yourself.
And what about the kind of books you read?
Now hold on just a minute!
Stop picking on me!
I'm just as good as the rest of them at church!
Excuse ME.
I thought you were praying for My Will to be done.
If that is to happen,
it will have to start with the ones
who are praying for it.
Like you -- for example.
Oh, all right. I guess I do have some hang-ups.
Now that You mention it,
I could probably name some others.
Err .. um, so could I.
I haven't thought about it very much until now,
but I really would like to cut out some of those things.
I'd like to, you know, be really free.
Good.
Now we're getting somewhere. We'll work together -- You and ME.
I'm proud of You.
Look, Lord, if You don't mind,
I need to finish up here.
This is taking a lot longer than it usually does.

Give us this day, our daily bread.
You need to cut out the bread.
You're overweight as it is.
Hey, wait a minute! What is this?
Here I was doing my religious duty,
and all of a sudden You break in
and remind me of all my hang-ups.
Praying is a dangerous thing.
You just might get what you ask for.
Remember,
you called ME -- and here I am.
It's too late to stop now.
Keep praying. ( . . . pause . . )
Well, go on.
I'm scared to.
Scared? Of what?
I know what You'll say.
Try ME.
Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us.
What about Ann?
See? I knew it!
I knew you would bring her up!
Lord, she's told lies about me, spread stories.
She never paid back the money she owes me.
I've sworn to get even with her!
But -- your prayer --
What about your prayer?
I didn't -- mean it.
Well, at least you're honest.
But, it's quite a load carrying around all that bitterness
and resentment isn't it?
Yes, but I'll feel better as soon as I get even with her.
Boy, have I got plans for her.
She'll wish she had never been born.
No, you won't feel any better.
You'll feel worse.
Revenge isn't sweet.
You know how unhappy you are --
Well, I can change that.
You can? How?
Forgive Ann.
Then, I'll forgive you;
And the hate and the sin,
will be Ann's problem -- not yours.
You will have settled the problem
as far as you are concerned.
You're right.
You always are.
And more than I want revenge,
I want to be right with You . . (sigh).
All right . . all right . .
I forgive her.
There now!
Wonderful!
How do you feel?
Hmmmm. Well, not bad.
Not bad at all!
In fact, I feel pretty great!
You know, I don't think I'll go to bed uptight tonight.
I haven't been getting much rest, you know.
Yeah, I know.
But, you're not through with your prayer are you? Go on.
Oh, all right.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Good! Good! I'll do that.
Just don't put yourself in a place
where you can be tempted.
You know what I mean.
Yeah. I know.
Okay.
Go ahead. Finish your prayer.
For Thine is the kingdom,
and the power,
and the glory forever.
Amen.
Do you know what would bring me glory --
What would really make me happy?
No, but I'd like to know.
I don't want to disappoint You anymore. I'd like You to keep on being proud of me. I can see now how great that would be. I've really made a mess of things.
So, tell me . . .
What do I do? How do I make You happy?
YOU just did.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #8
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Praying the Lord's Prayer
By Max Lucado

Here’s an example of how the Lord’s Prayer
can guide your prayers:
Our Father
Thank you for adopting me into your family.

who is
Thank you, my Lord,
for being a God of the present tense:
my Jehovah-jireh (the God who provides),
my Jehovah-raah (the caring Shepherd),
my Jehovah-shalom (the Lord is peace),
my Jehovah-rophe (the God who heals),
and my Jehovah-nissi (Lord, my banner).

in heaven,
Your workshop of creation reminds me:
If you can make the skies,
you can make sense out of my struggles.

Hallowed be thy name.
Be holy in my heart.
You are a “cut above” all else.
Enable me to set my sights on you.

Thy kingdom come,
Come kingdom!
Be present, Lord Jesus!
Have free reign in every corner of my life.

Thy will be done,
Reveal your heart to me, dear Father.
Show me my role in your passion.
Grant me guidance in the following decisions …

On earth as it is in heaven.
Thank you that you silence heaven to hear my prayer.
On my heart are the ones you love.
I pray for …

Give us this day our daily bread.
I accept your portion for my life today.
I surrender the following concerns
regarding my well-being …

Forgive us our debts,
I thank you for the roof of grace over my head,
bound together with the timbers
and nails of Calvary.
There is nothing I can do to earn
or add to your mercy.
I confess my sins to you …

As we also have forgiven our debtors;
Treat me, Father, as I treat others.
Have mercy on the following friends
who have wounded me …

Lead us not into temptation,
Let my small hand be engulfed in yours.
Hold me, lest I fall.
I ask for special strength regarding …

Our Father … give us … forgive us … lead us
Let your kindness be on all your church.
I pray especially for ministers near
and missionaries far away.

Thine—not mine—is the kingdom,

I lay my plans at your feet.

Thine—not mine—is the power,

I come to you for strength.

Thine—not mine—is the glory,

I give you all the credit.

Forever. Amen.

From The Great House of God

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

The Following User Says Thank You to MajestyJo For Sharing:
Old 04-11-2014, 01:33 AM   #9
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default Lord's Prayer - Easter Blessing

I cannot say;
OUR
if I keep my faith only to myself and never share it with others.

I cannot say;
FATHER
if I do not trust in His loving and complete concern for me, forgetting that He always answers prayers how and when He knows is best.

I cannot say;
WHO ART IN HEAVEN
if I am so attached to the ways of this world that I neglect to seek God first in everything.

I cannot say;
HALLOWED BE THY NAME
if I am unwilling to let His holiness penetrate my life and help me grow in my own holiness.

I cannot say
THY KINGDOM COME
if I am not using my life to bring His love into the world.

I cannot say
THY WILL BE DONE
if I live by my own ideas of morality or choose to follow the world's standards.

I cannot say
ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN
if I am not devoting my life to serving Him here on earth.

I cannot say
GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD
if I am not willing to be generous with whatever God gives me.

I cannot say
FORGIVE US OUR TRESPASSES
if I don't want to put forth enough effort to change.

I cannot say
AS WE FORGIVE THOSE
WHO TRESPASS AGAINST US
if I still hold a grudge, if I'm still angry, or if I still insist that other people change.

I cannot say
LEAD US NOT INTO TEMPTATION
if I deliberately or knowingly place myself in a position to be tempted.

I cannot say
DELIVER US FROM EVIL
if I'm not actively fighting against evil through deeds of love and service for everyone in my life, especially those who cause problems.

For Thine is the Kingdom…
and the Power…
and the Glory Forever…
AMEN

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Post New ThreadReply