Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Family and Friends of Alcoholics and Addicts

Share This Forum!  

Family and Friends of Alcoholics and Addicts This forum is for families and friends whose lives have been affected by someone else's drinking and/or drug abuse.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12-01-2014, 03:08 AM   #1
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default TODAY'S GIFT - DECEMBER 2014

Quote:
Monday, December 1, 2014

You are reading from the book Today's Gift

Go rich in poverty. Go rich in poetry.
—May Sarton

Poetry lets us put the beauty of nature - the clouds, the flowers, and the waterfall - into words. Poetry lets us see that things, which appear to be opposites, may just be different ways of looking at the same thing. How can we be rich in poverty? Wealth in poverty means finding pleasure in simplicity, finding the core of what's important, and saying it in the fewest possible words.

We are so often caught up in the pursuit of more - more money, more toys, more prestige that we forget how satisfying the simple things can be. Think of the beauty of a sunset or a walk by the river, the fun of playing in a sandbox or swinging on the swings in the park, or in simply taking time to get something done the right way, without hurry.

What riches lie around me right this moment?
For me, the gift of music. Christmas music is playing.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Tuesday, December 2, 2014

When one is a stranger to oneself, then one is estranged from others, too.
—Anne Morrow Lindbergh

There's a person inside each of us just itching to be known and loved. But if we don't get to know and love that person, how can we expect anyone else to know us?

That's why it's so important to spend time alone getting acquainted with ourselves. And how do we do that? We can sit quietly with ourselves, thinking and listening. Then we can write our thoughts in a journal, or we can draw or paint them. If we play a musical instrument, we can put our thoughts and feelings into music.

When we make the time and effort to know ourselves, it encourages others to want to know us, too. Since everything we do and feel begins inside us, we must feel good about ourselves in order to feel good about anything else. What wonders we are, that we have all the power we need to make our world a happy one!

How do I feel about myself today?
Not too happy with myself today, feeling the effects of yesterday. My ears are ringing, my muscles and my head are aching and my stomach is upset. Sounds like a hang over. I had to do what I had to do yesterday, but then I had to compound it all by doing more. Yet I know that even in the doing, it is about how I do and how I go about doing. There is a way about doing that is good for me and a way that is harmful in the long run, which is perfectly normal for others. The mind is willing but the body is weak and it always wants to catch up. It always thinks it should do more and has trouble finding acceptance and that it can't always do what it use to or what it wants to do. The mind says yes, the body says no, and I end up being at war with myself.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:51 AM   #3
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Wednesday, December 3, 2014

I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields that it kisses them so gently.
—Lewis Carroll

In different times and places, clouds can produce snowflakes, raindrops, or even hailstones. Each one seems to have its own purpose and mood as it falls from the sky. The snowflake is the lightest of these, and so it falls slowly and softly. Rainfall can be soft or hard. It sometimes feels angry, almost cleansing.

No matter how thick the snowfall is, it is still soft. We can rarely hear it land. It covers the world in a peaceful white. If we look closely, we can see that each small snowflake is unique.

Like the snowflakes, each of us has a unique design. Perhaps what we can learn from the snowflakes is how to gently touch the lives and growing things around us. Times of anger and rain are necessary, but a soft snowfall brings peace to all humanity.

How can I show my gentle side today?
By being kind to myself.

http://www.spiritanimal.info/deer-spirit-animal/

Quote:
When you have the deer as spirit animal, you are highly sensitive and have a strong intuition. By affinity with this animal, you have the power to deal with challenges with grace. You master the art of being both determined and gentle in your approach. The deer totem wisdom imparts those with a special connection with this animal with the ability to be vigilant, move quickly, and trust their instincts to get out the trickiest situations

Deer Spirit Animal
By Elena Harris, SpiritAnimal.info Editor

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:44 AM   #4
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thursday, December 4, 2014

They were the first . . . self-created people in the history of the world. And their manners were their own business. And so were their politics. And so, but ten times so, were their souls.
—Archibald MacLeish

There once was a child named Yemaya. Even before she could walk or talk, her mother introduced her to the trees. Yemaya touched them and they accepted her. They told her she was wonderful and she knew it was true.

As she grew up, Yemaya occasionally met people who said unkind things to her. When this happened, she went back to her trees, who continued to tell her she was just fine. She couldn't understand what was wrong with those who were mean to her. Whenever they appeared and insisted on being mean, she pretended what they said was an arrow that sailed right by as she stepped out of the way.

We can do the same. What others say or think is part of them and their lives, not ours. When we are wise enough to let go of things that don't belong to us, we will find our own treasures.

What can I step out of the way of today?
We can not take on what is not ours. A lot of things are directed at us, yet that doesn't mean it is ours to own. Just because it is someone else's opinion or thoughts, that doesn't mean they are good for us. Thoughts can be a prayer, so be careful what you put out there, you may get it back. I try not to think, "Return to sender" and just return the negative energy back to the Universe. It is all energy, it might be well intentioned, it just isn't always good for me in the moment. The motive may be good on their part, and so many people pray and ask that people be given specific things, when in fact, it just might not be according to my God's Plan in today.

Sometimes we have to go through things and to deviate, would be a lesson unlearned. Other times, a lesson learned is a pain lessened. Sometimes I think I remember better if there is a little pain attached to the lesson, because I may be inclined to forget if it was too easy. Mind you a lesson without pain is a great gift, and something that I always try to remember to say thank you for.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Wednesday, December 10, 2014

She must learn to speak
starting with I
starting with We
starting as the infant does
with her own true hunger
and pleasure
and rage.
—Marge Piercy

Once there was a writer who was writing a book for children. He decided to ask his son for ideas. "What would you like to tell other children?" he asked. He thought the boy would say something like, "Everybody love everybody." But instead the boy said, "Number one, ignore what your parents say about nutritious food. Number two, don't go to school."

The father laughed and thanked the boy for his ideas, even though they weren't what he expected. He loved his son for being able to feel and express his desires so strongly.

We all have a child within us, no matter how old we are. When we honor that child, we also honor who we have become, and we free ourselves to express our truest feelings.

What does the child within me want to do today?
Today she is quite content, yesterday she wanted to play.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #6
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thursday, December 11, 2014

Feelings are everywhere - gentle.
—J. Masai

Throughout the day we experience many feelings. Losing something makes us angry. Fighting with a friend makes us sad. Perhaps we're lonely because no one is home. Getting an unexpected treat makes us happy. Our feelings come and go just like the hours of our lives.

Letting our feelings be whatever they are is good. They'll go away in time. We may not like all feelings; sadness or anger may be uncomfortable, but being human means we'll have many different feelings each day. If we're quiet with them, they'll help us grow and understand others better, and then they will suddenly be gone, replaced perhaps by a feeling we like more.

Will I be able to accept my feelings today whether I like them or not?
All I am asked to do is try. Today, as a result of being clean and sober and a knowledge of the program, I am better equipped to handle them.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #7
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Friday, December 12, 2014

Patience is needed with everyone, but first of all with ourselves.
—Saint Francis De Sales

One night Sandra was having trouble putting a puzzle together. Angrily, she pushed all the pieces into a huge pile.

"I can't do this," she said. She got up and walked over to the couch and plopped down.

"Let me tell you a story," said her dad, as he sat down next to her. "There was a daughter who helped her dad take care of her baby sister. Again and again, she helped her baby sister stand and try to walk. One day the daughter tried to put a puzzle together but gave up after only a few tries. She had forgotten how many times she had helped her baby sister."

We are all like Sandra, sometimes. We forget to allow ourselves to fail, even though our growth up to now has been a series of failures that we learned from. With patience, we allow ourselves to take chances we might not otherwise explore, and we widen our world of possibilities. Life has been patient with us so far, now it's our turn.

What have I failed at that I can try again today?
Didn't read this in time, will have to try tomorrow. Need to try some patience and tolerance for people who I saw as 'stupid' (which in itself is shameful] because they pressed the down button on the elevator because they wanted to go up and caused the elevator door to open and close twice (duh!!); they pressed floor 18, when they wanted to go to 16, and left me to wait on the elevator to wait on the elevator for the doors to open and close on a floor when no one got off and on, how dare they!!! How silly is that. All left over feeling from going down to pick up a prescription that wasn't ready because the script wasn't signed on the fax, and had to be sent back and hadn't been returned before the doctor's office closed (the message the pharmacy got) at 5 p.m. even though I got to the pharmacy at 4:55 p.m. and now I will have to wait until Monday to get the medication for my infection.

All silly things, and time to say, "How important is it!" Way past time to say the Serenity Prayer, which I did say before I started out for the doctor's appointment at 10:45 a.m. only to arrive late for. So glad they saw me, normally they make you reschedule. As they say, "If you pray for patience, you get things to tolerate to practice on."

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:12 AM   #8
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Saturday, December 13, 2014

To heal ourselves is a reclamation of the power we all have as living beings to live in harmony with the life energy and to fulfill our potential as creatures among many on this planet.
—Chellis Glendinning

We live in a world that tells us healing only comes from outside ourselves. To some, it may seem odd to think each of us has the ability to heal ourselves.

How is this possible? Easy - we can do it if we believe we can. Whatever we believe we cannot do will remain beyond our ability. But believing we can heal ourselves gives us access to many healing ways. Self-acceptance is healing. Singing, playing, walking by a river are healing. Even helping others with their problems can be healing to us. There are as many ways of self-healing as there are people in the world. Once we experience what is healing for us, we can go on to discover many more healing acts to share with others.

What healing things do I like to do?
For me, I like to work with crystals, as well as what they mention above. It is about being conscious and in the moment and being at one with my Creator.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #9
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sunday, December 14, 2014

Each day comes bearing its gifts. Untie the ribbons.
—Ann Ruth Schabacker

Today will be filled with surprises, big ones and small ones, like the gifts at a birthday party. Maybe we'll see a friend we haven't seen for a while. Or we'll find something we thought was lost. Whatever happens today will be special, and is meant to help us grow in just the right way.

Growing up doesn't always feel easy. We're expected to be more responsible and thoughtful of others. We're expected to be honest about our feelings and needs. If we're angry or scared, we need to tell someone. Sharing our secret about being afraid relieves us of the fear, and we feel lighter, happier, like after opening a special gift.

When I receive today's gifts, will I stop to appreciate them?
Very few gifts do I miss these days, especially those little ones. I found out that they make for a very bountiful package. Today started out with a big gift, I got on line and able to post without any hassle this morning from my computer.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:45 AM   #10
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Monday, December 15, 2014

Great symphonies begin with just one note.
—Priscilla Young Pratt

Sometimes it's really hard to get going. We put off things we don't want to do, or are afraid to try. We occasionally feel overwhelmed by the size of a job to be done like cleaning out the cellar or reading a long book for a class.

But think a minute. If Beethoven had thought about how complicated it was to write his Ninth Symphony, with all those instruments and voices and notes to blend together, do we really think he would ever have started? But he didn't get overwhelmed. He sat down and wrote just one small note, and then another, and a third. It took him months, but writing one note led to a second, and, one note at a time, he completed it.

We begin the same way with whatever tasks we have ahead of us. Each tiny bit of progress helps us go on to the next part. We begin by reading one page of that book, or taking one box of junk from the cellar. That's all we have to do. The rest will follow almost on its own. The trick is to begin.

What needs to be done today, and how do I start?
My first thought was put one foot in front of the other. I got my laundry on my walker, but never got it out the door yesterday.

In truth, I did get out a bag of stuff and went through it today. I didn't do it all. That in itself is good and a big step. Things don't all have to be done all at once as the reading says. So I started yesterday, and will do more today.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #11
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Because you're not what I would have you be, I blind myself to who, in truth, you are.
—Madeleine L'Engle

Sometimes we expect far too much of the people around us, and because no one can ever live up to those expectations, we are almost always disappointed. But wouldn't it be better if we just let go, and let people be who they are? Then we'd be able to see them as they are - with all their beauty and goodness in which we take joy, and with all their faults, which we can also see in ourselves.

When we have put someone up on a pedestal, sculpturing them to fit our needs and desires by smoothing out the rough edges and creating new curves here and there, we cannot see the real person underneath our work. All we see is the illusion we have created. That is denying the person's real identity and is disrespectful. It's much better for our friends and for ourselves if we drop our expectations and illusions, and accept them all just the way they are.

What unfair expectations do I have of others?
To get with the program. I tend to believe that the 12 Steps fits everyone, whether they are an alcoholic or an alcoholic and applicable to all areas of ones life. I apply it to my pain, eating disorder, and have had to take my computer and addiction to busy to my God on several occasions. Earthlings don't always relate or don't want to equate.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #12
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Volunteers are the only human beings on the face of the earth who reflect this nation's compassion, unselfish caring, patience, and just plain loving one another.
—Erma Bombeck

The most precious time we will ever have we give away by doing volunteer chores to help others get more out of life. There is no material wage for this kind of work, but a host of emotional rewards. The height of volunteer giving is doing an act of kindness or love so quietly that none but ourselves will ever know we had a part in it.

What great humility this can bring to us, who live in a world where selfish people often insist on credit for all their deeds - often things they had nothing to do with.

All we need do is think of all we have received without deserving it or asking for it. By taking part in the giving end of life, we find the true wealth of our own generosity.

What secret gift can I give today?
A quiet prayer asking for blessings. Last night when I was going to bed, I realized I hadn't done much meditation and I grabbed a crystal deck of cards, said a prayer, put them under my pillow, ask for what I needed, got into bed and was only in bed about 5 minutes when it was my friend Sharon calling. She proceeded to tell me that I hadn't been doing enough meditation and asking for help for myself and it had been about others and not about me. Not me giving to others, me shutting off from others but putting up brick walls and erecting barriers blocking healing energies from getting to me. When you block the negative, you block the postive too. I was blocking my son's stuff, instead of dealing with and channeling the energy.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #13
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thursday, December 18, 2014

Endurance is nobler than strength, and patience than beauty.
—John Ruskin

It's hard to keep from trying to control the lives of others, especially in a family. We can learn from the man whose friend drove twenty miles to and from work on the freeway every day. "How can you do it?" he asked. "I've tried, and I can't go a mile in such traffic without screaming at the crazy drivers who cut in, go too slow, change lanes. Nobody listens. I'd lose my mind if I had to do it your way." His friend replied, "Your trouble is trying to drive every car around you. I relax and drive only one car - my own."

We have only our own lives to live, and this is usually enough to keep us busy. If we pay too much attention to how others live, we will neglect ourselves.

What acts of others can I ignore today?
I can ignore their choices as long as they are not abusive to me and don't invade my space. Then I have to set boundaries, detach, and/or have nothing to do with the person. They have freedom of choice, so do I.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #14
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Friday, December 19, 2014

Open your mind and your heart to be still.
—Shawn Phillips

In this time of international conflict and mistrust it is easy to despair. At times we may even feel hopeless as we hear about wars and weapons. But there is hope! Change can grow from within each of us.

The world is like a tree - if the tree is diseased and the leaves brown and brittle; the gardener does not treat the branches, but tends to the roots. Our world is made up of nations, in which there are states containing communities of neighborhoods where individual people live. We are the roots of our world tree. As attitudes change; as we accept and love ourselves honestly and learn, in turn, to accept and love others regardless of our differences, slowly, the branches that extend from us and cover the world will grow strong. The peace we can make within ourselves can be reflected everywhere.

Will I find the peace within myself today?
This goes hand in hand with the 'Language of Letting Go' reading today. How can I find peace if I am not willing to let go.

Part of my meditation last night was asking for the healing I needed to find peace. Every nerve ending in my body seemed to be on fire and totally shattered. I was allowing my pain to get to me and to top it all off, instead of accepting a day without my son hanging around, I was worried about what he was up to. I realized I needed to be grateful and let go and let God. Today I woke up to sunshine!

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:00 AM   #15
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Saturday, December 20, 2014

Give to the world all that you have, and the best will come back to you.
—Mary Ainge De Vere

When we share something of our own with a friend, it gives both of us a special feeling. Generosity blesses the giver as much as the receiver. Sometimes we feel selfish, wanting to hoard all our treats or treasures. But when we secretly hide them away, we cheat even ourselves from enjoying them.

Giving love and friendship to others works in just the same way. When we express love and kindness to others, we feel more love toward ourselves. Though we may not understand just how it works, we can be certain it does. The more of anything we give away to others, the greater our own rewards will be.

How can I practice generosity today?
Giving doesn't have to be 'stuff' and things we possess and want to keep for ourselves, it can be ourselves, our time, our talents, and our experience, strength, and hope. I always figured if I have enough to feed one, there is enough to feed two. A smile, a hug, a lone of an ear, all goes a long way to someone who is hurting, alone or lonely.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Post New ThreadReply