Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2016, 10:24 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 7

Wisdom for Today
One temptation we all seem to face at one time or another is over-confidence. For me it happens when everything seems to be going along smoothly. It becomes easy to forget the gift that recovery is and begin to take it all forgranted. Then I seem to somehow switch my thinking and no longer see His grace in my life. I no longer accept that I was given such a precious opportunity as recovery, and I begin to assume that somehow I have done something that has caused me no longer to need the program. I begin to become self-confident and assume I can deal with my disease on my own. I don't need help. Humility exits stage right, and I am left holding the bag. Denial creeps back into my life, and I am suddenly vulnerable to the voice of addiction.
This voice begins to whisper in my ear, and I begin to think I can handle things on my own. Addiction keeps on talking; and soon it has me in its clutches, trying to convince me that "one won't hurt," or "No one will know." Yes, self-confidence is a very dangerous road to travel. It most certainly can lead to relapse. But even if I resist this voice, I still find myself isolated and miserable. The only way out is to go back to the beginning. Go back to the steps. I have to admit I am powerless and out of control. I need to realize that there is hope, and as the Big Book says, "There is one who has all power; may you find Him now." Do I allow myself to become over-confident?
Meditations for the Heart
Recovery is not a stagnant process. We are either moving ahead, stuck and immobilized or backsliding. Each of us experiences each of these states in our recovery to a different extent. The important thing is that we see when we are getting into trouble and then do something about it. We need to put the program into action to stay on the right path. We need to walk in humility and be willing to ask for help along the way. Recovery is a program of action, and I need to be willing to take the steps necessary to stay on track. I need to be willing to go to any length to achieve and maintain sobriety. I need to listen to only one voice and that is the voice of God, as I understand Him. I cannot afford to risk listening to the voice of addiction. It is cunning, baffling and powerful. Do I watch to make sure I am staying on the right path?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,
Help me this day to walk in humility and to value the gift I have been given in recovery. Let me not take anything forgranted and stay focused on Your will for me. Give me this day the strength and courage I need to walk the path You lay before me. Keep me from becoming prideful, and help me in all that I do today.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Post New ThreadReply