Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2016, 09:06 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 10

Wisdom for Today
I was one who always wanted to understand things. Sometimes this was very helpful, and at other times this knowledge seeking seemed to get in the way. For a long time I tried to understand the word humility as it is used in program literature. I spent hours paging through dictionaries, references, reading and re-reading but just couldn’t seem to gain understanding. Finally in frustration I asked for help at a meeting. The very thing that I was looking for was the thing that was stopping me from getting an answer. A lack of humility kept me from asking for help until I was so frustrated that I was miserable.

An old-timer on the other side of the room spoke up, “Sometimes you just have to be stupid.” I had known this individual for quite some time and knew he had only a third grade education. He could hardly read or write. But he was absolutely right. I had let my own ego and pride get in the way of asking for help. He went on to say, “I spent years trying to be something I wasn’t. I didn’t want to be me. Now I am spending time learning how to be the best me I can.” He talked about hiding behind his mask of alcoholism and addiction. He talked about walking out of the cloud of denial and walking into the light of truth. He talked of learning to accept himself – the good, the bad and the ugly. He said, “Today there is a whole lot less bad and ugly and a whole lot more good. People in the program showed me how to do that.” Am I finding a humble self-acceptance?
Meditations for the Heart
Learning can happen in a variety of different ways, but perhaps the most powerful learning I do is from my mistakes. When I fall on my face, stumble or miss the boat figuratively, I can use these experiences to learn. I can talk with others in the program and seek out different ways to handle similar situations in the future. I don’t have to keep making the same mistakes. In fact, today I believe the only mistakes that exist are the ones I do not learn from. In this life no one can achieve perfection in all that they do. We all miss the boat, fall on our face and stumble as we walk through life. When this happens, we have an opportunity to learn, take corrective action and change our behavior. My addiction was no mistake. I have learned much from this experience. I have learned a whole new way of living, thanks to the program and the wonderful fellowship of friends I have. Am I willing to learn from my mistakes?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,

Each new day I am given new challenges and have Your assurance that You will walk with me. Help me this day to remain humble and open to asking for help. Let me learn how to truly accept whom and what I am. Give me eyes to see my strengths and eyes to see my weaknesses. Keep me realistic in my opinion of myself.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Post New ThreadReply