Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Weekly Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Weekly Spiritual Meditation - February 12

Today we are putting our hopes in materialism, in technological progress, and in freedom from moral absolutes. They have all failed. They've failed because they've been powerless to change the human heart. What is the answer? There is hope, if we will turn to God. Saint Augustine declared centuries ago, 'You have created us for Yourself, Oh God, and our hearts are restless until they find rest in You. - Billy Graham

Remember before the Lord those who’ve had a significant role in your life. Thank God and pray for them.

Thank God for the ways in which you’ve been aware of his love and care over recent days.

God’s word encourages us to do good deeds and to show kindness toward others. Christ loved us so much that he gave his life for us. Through our works of love and kindness, we express our love for Christ and show that we belong to him.

God wants us to pray about our problems and ask for help. Even when bad things happen, we can always find refuge in God’s love. And we can proclaim, “I’m safe.”

Water flows, the Spirit flows, love flows. Christ’s love can help us transform our world as we humbly serve others inside and outside our places of worship. With God’s help our actions can be just and righteous

Today let God guide our words.

We never know when we will have an opportunity to be the light Jesus calls us to be by sharing God’s word with another person. Every day we can look for ways to share God’s word with others.

Our God is everywhere.

THE BEAUTY OF THE SPIRIT by Joseph J. Mazzella
I was walking towards the store when I first saw her. She was between eighty and ninety years old. Her hair was thin, sparse, and as white as the snow on the sidewalk outside. Her face was red, chapped, and wrinkled from a lifetime of use. Her mouth was missing most of its teeth. Her gnarled hands each carried a bag full of groceries. She wore work boots that had clearly seen better days. As she shuffled slowly towards the door she stopped only once to put down her bags and button her thin, wool jacket.
I hurried my pace and opened the door for her. She smiled at me with her few remaining teeth and said, "Thank you young man." I touched my gray hair and smiled at being thought of as a young man again. Then I watched as this ancient angel slowly walked to the food drive collection bin and lifted the heavier of her two bags up to put into it. She made one last stop on her way out to say "hi" to a young mother she knew. The mother had her baby girl in her arms and the elderly woman gently reached down and tickled the child under her chin. The little girl laughed with joy and kicked her feet. The old lady laughed as well in her cracked voice and then continued happily on her way. I stood there watching her and thought to myself: "That was the most beautiful woman I have ever seen."
I am so thankful to God for teaching me over the years how to see clearly. I no longer look at the world through the eyes of society with its plastic surgery view of what is beautiful and what is not. God has shown me through His love, His grace, and His guidance to see with the eyes of my soul and to recognize the beauty of the spirit in each of us.
I hope that lovely old woman continues to touch others with her gentleness, kindness, and joy for years to come. May her beauty, love, and light shine bright on Earth and in Heaven.

Time to Rejuvenate by Adessa Holden
“Don’t blame other people or circumstances for emptying your tank when you haven’t been taking the time to stop and refill your tank.”
Ouch! That one hurt!
Yet, recently as I was explaining to Jesus (because He needs me to explain it to Him—are you rolling your eyes?) that it was other people’s fault that I was so drained and that my attitude was less than stellar, this is what He said to me:
“Adessa, why do you understand that when it comes to your cell phone . . . you need to recharge the battery or it blacks out? Or, if you don’t refill the car’s gas tank, it will stop running? But when it comes to your own life—what are you not understanding?”
The truth is that life, people, and circumstances are draining.
If we don’t make it a priority to refill our tanks, then we are going to run out of gas. This is true spiritually, emotionally, and physically. That’s why it’s so important that just like we plug in our phones for their daily recharge, we must daily recharge our spiritual needs with times of prayer and Bible reading.
Heading into 2016, I am making this personal commitment to myself: I will take time to recharge. Spiritually, I will recharge with daily prayer, Bible reading, and periodically pulling away to spend dedicated time with the Lord. Emotionally and physically, I’m going to try to be a better steward of my time and avoid my natural tendency to try to do everything. I choose to honor my priorities, but to also make rest a priority.
Overall, I’m going to stop blaming the road for draining my tank and give refueling preeminence. I know when I do this I’ll run better and stronger towards Jesus.
What about you? Are there areas of your life where you need to make refueling a priority? Are you agitated by things that are draining your tank while ignoring your responsibility to refill? Are you skipping times of prayer? Bible study? Worship?
Perhaps you need to ask the Holy Spirit to show you what lifestyle adjustments you need to make, so that you are running effectively for Jesus.
I’ll admit, it’s a challenge—but so is running on empty.
Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed (Mark 1:35).

Listen To The Voice by Dee Renaud
Our daughter is "horse crazy". She has been since she was ten years old, when she went with a friend to his riding lesson for the disabled, as they were both deaf. Shortly after that, she began taking riding lessons, too. Over the years, she competed, volunteered, and worked at the equestrian centre where she went that first day.
When she was 25 years old, we bought her her own horse, Jewel, which was three months old at the time. She definitely has a way with horses, and in fact, we often refer to her as the "deaf horse whisperer". Jewel used to follow her around like a little puppy when our daughter first got her. She has a gift for understanding horses and other animals, and she has worked with many problem horses over the years. A true horse whisperer is a person who tames and trains horses by gentle methods and speech, and who has great patience. The horses respond well to her voice and her technique. They trust her.
John 10:14,27 – I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. (NIV)
Jesus, our Good Shepherd, is a great "people whisperer"! He understands us. He is gentle and patient with us. Just as the horses trust my daughter, we can trust Jesus. We all need help at one time or another in our lives. We may find ourselves facing difficult situations or having difficult choices to make. We may do things that we don't want to do or we may not do things that we should do. In the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives, do we go to the Shepherd Who knows us? Do we take time to listen to His voice? Do we seek His guidance and direction and follow Him? He's always waiting for us to ask Him for help, and He has great patience with us. We can always trust Him.
Psalm 23:1 – The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. (KJV)
He provides us with all that we need to follow Him in every situation that we are called to face.
Prayer: Heavenly Father, we are so grateful that Jesus is our Good Shepherd and that He knows each one of us by name. May we always listen for His voice and trust Him to lead us and provide for us through all the days of our lives. In His name, we pray. Amen.

From His Perspective by Harvest Ministries
Jesus looked at them and said to them, "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." —Matthew 19:26
I heard the story of an elderly minister who liked to visit people in hospitals. He often would take along a little, embroidered bookmark that he carried in his Bible. On the back of the bookmark was a group of tangled threads with no apparent pattern. He would hand this bookmark, with the back facing up, to those who were hurting or upset and say, "Look at that and tell me what it says." As they looked at all the tangled threads, they would say, "I have no idea what it says. It doesn't seem to say anything."
Then he said, "Now, turn it over." As they would flip that bookmark over, they saw the words "God is love." The minister would say, "Many times as we look at what God is doing, we just see tangled threads with no rhyme or reason. But from God's perspective, He is dealing with us in love, and He knows what He is doing."
The next time you think it's all over for you, just remember how things turned out for Joseph in the book of Genesis. Just remember how things turned out for Daniel — no doubt things looked pretty grim when he was in the den of lions. It looked hopeless as well for Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego when they were thrown into the fiery furnace. Things looked pretty hopeless for Peter when he was in prison, awaiting execution. And things certainly looked bleak for Martha and Mary when their brother died.
You see, things can look bad at one moment, but then God will step in and turn events around. Then as time goes on, you will look back and say, "Now I understand what God was doing."

The Father's View by Steve Troxel
Let's continually seek His direction, and trust the Father's view.
In the message "Cut The Lifeboats" we were encouraged to cut away those areas of our life which still cling to the world's answers for fulfillment and security - those areas which keep our hearts from being fully devoted to God. But at the same time, we acknowledged this can be a difficult process. One reason for this difficulty is our extremely limited view of our life and the world around us.
Our flawed perception is not unlike a tiny ant. These small creatures seem to never stop working as they scurry about frantically moving little grains of sand from here to there in the hope of building a secure home. If we could ask an ant to describe his world, he might tell us about his hole in the ground, about the few thousand members of his family, and maybe something about the few surrounding meters where he gathers food. Obviously, the ant has a very limited view of the real world.
But as our Heavenly Father watches us build our homes of security - watches us frantically moving from here to there, trying to climb to the top of the hill - He also sees a creation with a VERY limited view of the real world; "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts" (Isaiah 55:9).
As seen from God's perspective, we have almost no understanding of how the little corner of our life fits into His plan or how our current problems are leading us closer to Him. From God's perspective our view is as limited as the ant. But, though we may not fully see or understand, He is calling us to trust.
Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."
Many of us are facing difficult circumstances. We want to walk along God's path and live a life pleasing to Him, but we're not sure which direction to turn. Our indecision is often because we only trust in what we clearly understand - and we've begun to realize our understanding is not very clear. But God's promise is that as we love and trust Him with all our heart, the path directly in front of us will become straight; as we trust, the decisions will become clear and we will KNOW our next step!
We must truly believe that our Heavenly Father sees and hears ALL, and that He is infinitely complete in understanding. Where we are fortunate to see a few short steps down the path, He sees the entire journey - the journey leading us "to be conformed to the likeness of His Son" (Romans 8:29), and the destination of spending all eternity praising His name. We must keep stepping out in faith, but we must do so by leaning on Him, continually seeking His direction, and trusting the Father's view. Have a Christ Centered Day!

THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA Author Unknown
After a few of the usual Sunday evening hymns, the church's pastor once again slowly stood up, walked over to the pulpit, and gave a very brief introduction of his childhood friend. With that, an elderly man stepped up to the pulpit to speak, "A father, his son, and a friend of his son were sailing off the Pacific Coast," he began, "when a fast approaching storm blocked any attempt to get back to shore. The waves were so high, that even though the father was an experienced sailor, he could not keep the boat upright, and the three were swept into the ocean."
The old man hesitated for a moment, making eye contact with two teenagers who were, for the first time since the service began, looking somewhat interested in his story. He continued, "Grabbing a rescue line, the father had to make the most excruciating decision of his life....to which boy he would throw the other end of the line. He only had seconds to make the decision.
The father knew that his son was a Christian, and he also knew that his son's friend was not. The agony of his decision could not be matched by the torrent of waves. As the father yelled out, 'I love you, son!' he threw the line to his son's friend. By the time he pulled the friend back to the capsized boat, his son had disappeared beyond the raging swells into the black of night. His body was never recovered."
By this time, the two teenagers were sitting straighter in the pew, waiting for the next words to come out of the old man's mouth. "The father," he continued, "knew his son would step into eternity with Jesus, and he could not bear the thought of his son's friend stepping into an eternity without Jesus. Therefore, he sacrificed his son. How great is the love of God that He should do the same for us." With that, the old man turned and sat back down in his chair as silence filled the room.
Within minutes after the service ended, the two teenagers were at the old man's side. "That was a nice story," politely started one of the boys, "but I don't think it was very realistic for a father to give up his son's life in hopes that the other boy would become a Christian."
"Well, you've got a point there," the old man replied, glancing down at his worn Bible. A big smile broadened his narrow face, and he once again looked up at the boys and said, "It sure isn't very realistic, is it? But I'm standing here today to tell you that THAT story gives me a glimpse of what it must have been like for God to give up His Son for me."
"You see....I was that father, and your pastor was my son's friend."

57 Cents Author Unknown
(Based on a true story as told by Dr. Russell H. Conwell)
A sobbing little girl stood near a small church from which she had been turned away because it was too crowded. "I can't go to Sunday School," she sobbed to the pastor as he walked by. Seeing her shabby, unkempt appearance, the pastor guessed the reason and, taking her by the hand, took her inside and found a place for her in the Sunday School class. The pastor told her, "We should some day have a room big enough for all who should come."
The child was so touched that she went to bed that night thinking of the children who have no place to worship Jesus.
A few weeks later the girl suddenly took ill and died. At the funeral, the girl's mother took the kind-hearted pastor aside who had befriended their daughter. She quietly told him that their little girl had been saving money for the church. Quite surprised, the pastor was even more taken aback when the girl's mother handed him what she had saved - 57 cents. For two weeks she had been running errands and saving her pennies in a little bank for the church.
The pastor was amazed at the love demonstrated by this little girl and tearfully shared this story at his church the following week. The pastor then offered the 57 cents that had been given to him "for sale" to the congregation. 250 dollars came in (along with the return of most of the 57 cents that had been "sold") which was used to buy a larger Sunday School room in an adjacent lot.
But it didn't stop there. The trustees of the church were so moved by the actions of this girl that one of them proposed buying a new plot of land for the church itself that would allow it to grow considerably. Only a few days earlier a new church building seemed like only a distant possibility. But now, spurred on by this girl's actions, all of a sudden it seemed like something to attain for.
The pastor shared the story of the girl with the owner of the plot of land. The owner was so moved that he sold the property for quite a bit less than it was worth, with the first payment to be just 57 cents. The building fund, started by this little girl, quickly began to grow. Due to the growth of the building fund, in just a short while the church was able to buy this property free-and-clear.
The girl's unselfish love had paid large dividends. When you are in the city of Philadelphia, look up Temple Baptist Church, with a seating capacity of 3,300, and Temple University, where hundreds of students are trained. Have a look, too, at the Good Samaritan Hospital (Temple University Hospital) and at a Sunday School building which houses hundreds of children and adults, so that no child in the area will ever need to be left outside during Sunday school time. In one of the rooms of this building may be seen the picture of the sweet face of the little girl whose 57 cents, so sacrificially saved, made such remarkable history.
Alongside of it is a portrait of her kind pastor, Dr. Russel H. Conwell, author of the book, "Acres of Diamonds."
Goes to show WHAT GOD CAN DO WITH 57 cents.
(The above is largely based on a true story. If you would like to read the actual full sermon text that inspired it, you can read it here: http://library.temple.edu/collections/scrc/hattie)

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
I am releasing you from situations that are no longer beneficial to you. You will know what I am referring to when you are able to see what causes stress in your life or makes you feel obligated. I want you to be at peace with yourself, your environment and with Me, says the Lord. I will show you the way out of places where you feel trapped or entangled. Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.

Come to Me in spirit to that place that is set apart from the world. Come near to Me, says the Lord, where I will hide you and keep you safe. This is the place where provision and favor originate. It is an environment where you can thrive and grow exceedingly. Come to this place of peace and rest where your faith and trust is undeniable. Matthew 6:33 "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Listen for the sound of silence and be comfortable with it. When nothing is stirring you to deep thought or action, you must stir yourself so that you do not lose your edge. Take the initiative through a desire to know Me more personally and intimately. Explore the depths of spiritual truth and delight yourself in the light of revelation, says the Lord. John 8:32 "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

I know that you have been feeling a little off balance with a sense of instability. But, I tell you the truth, you are in My hands and I am completely reliable. You can put your trust in Me to bring you through this rocky time. Do not be afraid. I know all about your situation and the fears that have risen up to shake you out of faith, says the Lord. I am with you. James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
Some of you My people are believing with a fullness of heart. Others of you have doubt that lingers on in your lives. Because of the doubt you don’t receive the fullness of that which I have for you because you are double minded and receive nothing. So, I would advise you to develop a life of full faith so that you can receive the blessings that I am revealing. In this specific time, allow My light and My grace and My power to come into your life in a fresh way so that you will be more than victorious in all things, says the Lord. Let your light shine.

The gates of heaven are opening, and I am calling to you to go through the gates and receive all that is being opened to you. Press in until you receive the anointing of this season. Praise Me, and I will come to you and position you for victory and the blessings of this time. All things are possible if you will only believe. Come by faith into the fullness of what I am doing, says the Lord. Prepare the way into My kingdom. Come and establish yourself at this time as citizens of My kingdom. Come! Isaiah 62:10 Go through, Go through the gates! Prepare the way for the people; Build up, Build up the highway! Take out the stones, Lift up a banner for the peoples!

The Touch of a Master's Hand By Myra Brooks Welch
'Twas battered and scarred, and the auctioneer
Thought it scarcely worth his while
To waste much time on the old violin,
But held it up with a smile:
What am I bidden good folks," he cried,
Who'll start the bidding for me?"
"A dollar, a dollar"; then, "Two!" "Only two?
Two dollars, and who'll make it three?
Three dollars, once; three dollars twice,
Going for three ---" But no,
From the room, far back, a gray-haired man
Came forward and picked up the bow;
Then, wiping the dust from the old violin,
And tightening the loose strings,
He played a melody pure and sweet,
As a caroling angel sings.
The music ceased, and the auctioneer,
With a voice that was quiet and low,
Said: "What am I bid for the old violin?"
And he held it up with the bow.
"A thousand dollars, and who'll make it two?
Two thousand! And who'll make it three?
Three thousand, once, three thousand, twice,
And going, and gone," said he.
The people cheered, but some of them cried,
We do not quite understand
What changed its worth." Swift came the reply:
The touch of a master's hand."
And many a man with life out of tune,
And battered and scarred with sin,
Is auctioned cheap to the thoughtless crowd
Much like the old violin.
A "mess of pottage," a glass of wine,
A game -- and he travels on.
He is "going" once, and "going" twice,
He's "going" and almost "gone."
But the Master comes, and the foolish crowd
Never can quite understand
The worth of a soul and the change that is wrought
By the touch of the Master's hand.

Your Assignment
If God asked you to create a tree,
Could you do it as well as He?
If God asked you to create a live bird
Could you do it? that's absurd,
If God asked you to create a man,
With its complex organs do you think you can?
If God asked you to create the universe,
Do you think you can, you'd do worse,
If God asked you to create a breath,
Could you create it and take it at death?
If God asked you to created the sun,
How long would it take you to get it done?
God only gives us one assignment you see,
To love one another and to also Love He.
Anne R. C . Neale - Feb 10 2004

"Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him." (Psalms 34:8)

Matthew 11:28-29 – Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you shall find rest for your souls.

Revelation 1:8 – "I am the Alpha and the Omega — the beginning and the end," says the Lord God. "I am the one who is, who always was, and who is still to come — the Almighty One.

34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34

The name of the LORD is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe. - Proverbs 18:10

38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. John 7:38

26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: 27 Neither give place to the devil. Ephesians 4:26-27

Let your light so shine before others, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. - Matthew 5:16

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. - Philippians 4:6

Encouraging Friends by Karen Whiting, from 365 Devotions for Hope
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. — John 15:13
Treasure friends who encourage you, for they are precious gems. You can confidently share your dreams and hopes with a true friend. A true friend can be rare, but when friendship is proven, it must be treasured and kept safe. Real friends believe in you. They listen and cheer you on as you pursue your dreams. They share your pain at each failed step, share your joy at each moment of progress, and celebrate your triumphs.
True friends love at all times.
There is nothing you can say or do that will diminish the love of a friend who loves unconditionally. If you make a mistake, rest assured that your friend will show constant affection toward you and be honest with you because of the love you share.
The greatest love is when a friend lays down his or her life for you. This is the way that God loves us. God laid down His life through His Son, Jesus Christ, so that we could be saved. Now, that is true friendship! What is more, anyone may become His friend by trusting in Him as one’s personal Savior, being born again, and receiving new life in Him.
Heavenly Father, You are love itself. Thank You for the gift of Your Son, Jesus, who laid down His life for me. That is true friendship. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.
Your Turn: February, the Month of Love, is the perfect time for us to thank the Lord for our friends who share life with us and love us in return and to let them know how treasured they are. Who are your friends? To whom are you an unconditional friend?

Loving God, help me to see you more clearly, love you more dearly and follow you more nearly, this day and every day.

Read Through The Bible
Psalm 1
1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. 2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. 3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper. 4 The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away. 5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous. 6 For the Lord knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

Dear Jesus, You said “Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy” At times my heart may be hardened by the busyness of the day, remembrance of past hurts, or my own selfishness and sin. Warm my spirit to appreciate your merciful love and in turn be merciful in my own words and deeds. Amen

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply