Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Daily Spiritual Meditations Post spiritual meditations here to read and feel free to share.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 04-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Daily Reprieve - May

May 1

A POWERFUL EXPERIENCE

“They believe in themselves, and still more in the Power which pulls chronic alcoholics back from the gates of death.” - Alcoholics Anonymous, page xxv

“He brought them out of darkness and the deepest gloom and broke away their chains.” – Psalm 107:14

For what it’s worth: Alcoholism’s chains seemed unbreakable. I felt hopelessly locked in the darkness and gloom of its prison. That is how I came to AA. I had no idea that there was a Power here strong enough to break those chains and release me from that prison. Now I believe in that Power. I have that life-saving experience to give me hope whenever I face any threat or difficulty. And every single time I have called on that Power, my Heavenly Father, He has always been there for me.

God bless you!
Joe W.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 2

“MY LAST DEBAUCH”

“In reality that was the beginning of my last debauch.” - Alcoholics Anonymous, page 8

“Restore us, O God Almighty; make your face shine upon us, that we may be saved.” – Psalm 80:7

For what it’s worth: One way or the other, “my last debauch” will be a reality. I pray to my Heavenly Father that mine is done. It was enough. And I suffered enough. I do not believe I would survive another.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 3

“When we saw others solve their problems by a simple reliance upon the Spirit of the Universe, we had to stop doubting the power of God. - Alcoholics Anonymous, page 52

“We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us-they help us learn to endure. And endurance develops strength of character in us, and character strengthens our confident expectation of salvation.” - Romans 5:3-4

For what it’s worth: Problems were always dealt with by drinking. Most certainly, that compounded the problem. But I continued that insanity for years. In Alcoholics Anonymous I was taught to turn any problem over to my Higher Power. And, ever time I have done that, my Heavenly Father has proven He will take care of me and my difficulty. And He does it with love.

God bless you!

Joe W.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 4

THE PATH OF SPIRITUAL PROGRESS

“Both you and the new man must walk day by day in the path of spiritual progress.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 100

“Show me where to walk, for I give myself to you.” Psalm 143:8

For what it’s worth: During my active years of alcoholism I was not walking, but falling rapidly into hell. Alcoholics Anonymous was the net God used to break my fall. I was placed on that path where rarely do we see a person fail, and I was taught to walk day by day in the direction of spiritual progress. I gave myself to God and He gave Himself to me. Not only does He show me where to walk, He walks with me. In my weakness, however, I tend to let go of God’s hand and lose site of my goal, wandering around aimlessly, distracted from anything spiritual, or lost in a spiritually dry desert. One way my Heavenly Father brings me back on track is introducing me to another suffering soul who needs help. He knows that working with others is a powerful tool for maintaining my spiritual condition. I have to be a good example, living the Twelve Steps day by day, guiding the other person up those Steps as we both walk with our Heavenly Father toward spiritual progress.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 5

PROTECTION & CARE

"We asked His protection and care with complete abandon." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 59

"No one can snatch them out of my Father's hand." John 10: 28

For what it's worth: All was lost to alcoholism, and I ended up deeply insecure, easily threatened, and highly mistrustful. I carried these traits into Alcoholics Anonymous, feeling skeptical of the people and the program, even afraid of losing the hope I found at my first meeting. My fear caused me to talk with my sponsor and he suggested the Third Step of Alcoholics Anonymous. I found the “protection and care” I so desperately needed when I made a decision to turn my will and my life over to the care of God. Instead of losing the hope, it has grown. Everything I place in God's hands increases in value. No one can snatch away any of God's gifts, except me.....I would lose all with that first drink.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 6

COUNTING ON GOD

“First of all, we had to quit playing God.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 62

“I am counting on the Lord. I have put my hope in His word.” Psalm 130: 5

For what it's worth: Insecure and mistrusting, I felt an overwhelming need to control. But my best efforts failed. And no wonder, I was living without God and a slave to alcohol. Finally, when there was nowhere else to turn for help, I came to Alcoholics Anonymous. I was desperate, so I did what was suggested. After all, it had worked for thousands of others. I accepted my powerlessness and my need for a Higher Power. And I came to believe that God cared for me and would grant whatever I needed, if I asked. Throughout my sober years in Alcoholics Anonymous I have asked for God's help unknown times. He always provides. And I am always amazed at His creativity in the ways He takes care of even my smallest needs.

God bless you!
Joe W.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 05-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 7

REACHABLE

"Afterward, we found our selves accepting many things which then seemed entirely out of reach." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 47

"It (a mustard seed) is the smallest of all seeds, but it ... grows into a tree where birds can come and find shelter in its branches." Matthew 13: 31-32

For what it's worth: Life did not work for me, so recovery would not work for me. I could not do what was required, especially the “God stuff”. But I had not counted on the Power of Alcoholics Anonymous to grow even the least likely to successful sobriety. The small seed of hope that was planted at my first meeting grew until I was able to reach what I believed was unreachable. Ever so slowly, I accepted my powerlessness and the unmanageable of my life and came to trust a Higher Power. I put myself in God's hands and He has not dropped me since. And I have noticed, when storms blow hard, He holds me tighter.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 8

A FIRM FOUNDATION

"Adversity truly introduces us to ourselves." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 530, (Fourth Edition)

"After you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation." 1 Peter 5:10

For what it's worth: Growing up in an alcoholic family and my own alcoholism reduced my life to warfare. To survive, I built strong defenses. It was lonely behind those walls. And fighting life day after day created raging inner torment. I sought relief in Alcoholics Anonymous with no idea of the severity of the pain necessary to surrender and tear down my defenses. I would not have had the strength to endure except for the supportive people of Alcoholics Anonymous and the grace of God. As I sobered up and came out from behind my walls, the Twelve Steps introduced me to myself and to a merciful God who loved me just as the war-torn mess I was. We have worked hard together for many sober years, building a solid foundation for a life of peace. Today I will enjoy it and be grateful.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 9

THE RESOURCES NEEDED

“He provided what we needed.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 63

“He offers strength to the weak.” Isaiah 40: 29

For what it's worth: Never having been wrapped too tight, it was easy for Alcoholism to rip me apart. I could find no one to help put me back together until I came to my first Alcoholics Anonymous meeting, expecting nothing, finding resources I needed to be whole. The people, the Twelve Steps, and the grace of God took the parts left over of the weak, worthless drunk I was and are creating a sober and totally different human being, stronger than ever before, and, certainly, wrapped a lot tighter.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 10

LITTLE IN RETURN

"When I first came to this Fellowship, I had lost my health and sanity, my friends, much of my family, my self-respect, and my God. In the years since, all of these have been restored to me." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 368, Fourth Edition

"With joy you will drink deeply from the fountain of salvation!" Isaiah 12: 3

For what it's worth: Everything of value was ruined by my alcoholism. I had no hope any would ever be restored. That despair is all I brought to my first Alcoholics Anonymous meeting, but I left with hope that my ruins could be restored. And, indeed, through my years living the Twelve Steps in Alcoholics Anonymous, a merciful God has given me a new family and reconstructed everything of value in my life. I thank Him many times each day. Still, I am very much aware of how little I do for Him in return.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 11

MAGNIFICENCE

"The central fact of our lives today is the absolute certainty that our Creator has entered into our hearts and lives in a way which is indeed miraculous. He has commenced to accomplish those things for us which we could never do by ourselves." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 25

"The Lord will work out his plans for my life -- for your faithful love, O Lord, endures forever." Psalm 138: 8

For what it's worth: A painting of my drinking days would be murky and dark, showing a blurred figure stumbling and falling as he was running to escape the sad reality of what life had become. The next painting, full of bright, warm colors, would clearly show a man climbing Twelve Steps up to a place in the painting shining so brilliantly no color can express it. That is a painting of my sober years in Alcoholics Anonymous painted by the Master Artist. When I “let go and let God”, His works are magnificent!

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 12

HE LEADS, I FOLLOW

“…We ask God for inspiration, an intuitive thought or a decision.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 86

“He will give you another Counselor who will never leave you.” John 14:16

For what it's worth: Alcoholism dumped me at the doors of Alcoholics Anonymous with an empty heart, a dark soul, alone, confused, indecisive, and wandering about without direction, purpose or meaning. I was just right for the people of Alcoholics Anonymous. They knew exactly what to do. They directed me to a Counselor. He and I have worked together for many sober years now, and I find my Guide is more like a Good Shepherd. He leads, I follow. When I am not sure which way to go, He shows me. He is always with me, even in storms when the path is dark. And He knows I tend to go astray more than most of His flock, so he keeps a close eye on me. When I go off on my own, He comes after me, carrying me in his arms, near his heart, back to the right path.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:09 PM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 13

THE POWER OF LOVE

“Our fears fall from us.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 75

“Our fears for today, our worries about tomorrow, and even the powers of hell can't keep God's love away.” Romans 8: 38

For what it's worth: My alcoholism was a disease of unknown fears that motivated my behavior without my knowledge. I would have died unaware had it not been for a merciful God rescuing me from my life of fear and placing me in a safe and caring place, Alcoholics Anonymous. As I live one day at a time, practicing the principles of Alcoholics Anonymous, I develop a childlike relationship with my Heavenly Father. And as I grow closer to Him each day, especially holding on to Him tightly during storms, I more deeply experience my Heavenly Father's love, a love “even the powers of hell can't keep away”. Opening my mind and heart to His love, I live with trust and my fears fall from me.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 14

THE HARD WAY

“We had to learn these things the hard way.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 121

“So correct me, Lord, but please be gentle.” Jeremiah 10: 24

For what it's worth: Years of miserable existence in alcoholism left me mistrustful and stubborn. I was arrogant and defiant. And I was angry. Only a miracle could change me. By the grace of God, I stopped drinking when I came to Alcoholics Anonymous, but I still carried my garbage and my attitude. For me to dump it requires years of sobriety and hard work with the Twelve Steps and professional help. Looking back, I see the people of Alcoholics Anonymous and God are always gentle and patient with me as they teach me to surrender my way for His way - a simple task that I do the hard way.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 15

THE FIERY TONGUE

"Are we now ready to let God remove from us all the things which we have admitted are objectionable? Can He now take them all -- every one? If we still cling to something we will not let go, we ask God to help us be willing." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 76

"The tongue is a flame of fire. It is full of wickedness that can ruin your whole life. It can turn the entire course of your life into a blazing flame of destruction, for it is set on fire by hell itself." James 3: 6

For what it's worth: Relationships were cremated by the fire of the tongue when combined with alcohol and the self-righteousness and self-absorption of my alcoholism. Thank God, sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous has given me tools to drown the fire. But coals can still flare up even after years of living the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous and practicing the Prayer of St. Francis. Loved ones and close relationships can be harmed, not to mention the agony caused me. This is a hard core defect that demands my perseverance with Steps Six and Seven, daily begging God to remove it. I am so very grateful He loves me just as I am, with my defects still outnumbering my virtues.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Post New ThreadReply