Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Daily Feast - February 24th - 28th

February 24 - Daily Feast

Worthy performances do not make us who we are, but little things and what we tell ourselves in the privacy of our own minds. We are what we see and what we believe is important. We are children to the end - innocent in ways we do not understand, aware of our spiritual connections and afraid to develop them. What would people think? How will I explain that I no longer enter into those activities that are thought so clever? There's a world of things we do not have to explain. As much as we want others to understand and like us, if it takes us off our standing place into a world of unlikely places, then we flirt with disaster. No one can dictate to us if we are not listening. We will not lose our footing if we are not teetering. We are who we are by what we choose to cultivate, and all worthy performances are made up of very little parts.

~ God made me an Indian. ~

SITTING BULL, 1876

'A Cherokee Feast of Days', by Joyce Sequichie Hifler

*<<<=-=>>>*<<<=-=>>>*<<<=-=>>>*<<<=-=>>>*

Elder's Meditation of the Day - February 24

"But each of us must find out for himself or herself what their gift is, so that they can use it in their life."

--Jimmy Jackson, OJIBWAY

The old people say, everyone has a song to sing. This song is the reason we are on this earth. When we are doing what we came on this earth to do, we know true happiness. How will we know our song? Pray. Ask the Great Mystery, "What is it you want me to do during my stay on earth?" Ask. He will tell you. He will even help you develop yourself to accomplish His mission.

Great Spirit, help me find my song and let me sing it.

'THINK on THESE THINGS'
By Joyce Sequichie Hifler

It is said that pearls worn by a happy person have a warm and more lustrous glow.

Pearls are like gentle moments strung together for the happy person - they cannot help but glow.

Gentle moments, like pearls, seem to be so few. Yet, how rich and warm and beautiful they make our lives.

It takes only a few moments to enjoy a talk with someone about good things instead of the bad; it takes only a few moments to drop a line to a shut-in when attention means so much. It takes only a few moments to see a sunset, or read a Scripture, or listen to a child talk.

It takes only a few moments to open the door to happiness. And if happiness seems only a few moments long, so will trouble if we open the door and let it out instead of harboring it.

Life is made up of a few moments all strung together like pearls. Each moment is a pearl, and it is up to us to pick the ones with the highest luster. If we do not have time to do great things, take a few gentle moments and do small things in a great way.

February 25 - Daily Feast

When we stop fretting we gain more ground. If we can stop trying to control everything with our minds and let it go, even for a little while, we will get a clearer view. There is wisdom in the words, "Having done all, stand." Do what can be done, build faith, know there is a Great Holy Spirit that knows even the very smallest thing we need. At this point, everything will challenge us, but just let it slide away, let it dissolve from inattention. The greatest steps are taken when we decide not to thrash out, not to hate and resent and lose ourselves in the confusion. Put it all down and walk away to something totally different. Having done all, stand, and refuse to be drawn back into a place of no peace.

~ The man who sat on the ground in his tipi meditating on life and its meaning, accepting the kinship of all creatures and acknowledging unity with the universe of things, was infusing into his being the true essence of civilization. ~

CHIEF LUTHER STANDING BEAR

Elder's Meditation of the Day - February 25

"The Creator was responsible for the existence of everything, a part of the Creator's spirit exists in everything and thus all things are connected."

--Larry P. Aitken, CHIPPEWA

The Creator designed nature, people, and all things as an interconnected system. Everything is connected to each other. This connection exists in the Unseen World. The same way our body parts are all port of the body-the parts are separate but also connected. If a part of our body is in pain, the rest of the body recognizes this pain as its own. In other words, the pain of one is the pain of all. This is also true of every interconnected system. Because we are connected, we should respect and take care of our Earth and each other.

Great Spirit, let me treat everyone, today, as if they were You.

'THINK on THESE THINGS'

Some of the dearest moments ever spent are those on the road I didn't want to travel. And some of the most magnificent doors I've ever passed through are where before there was no way.

Some of the kindest people I shall ever know are the ones I didn't want to meet. And the greatest abundance I've ever received came from a pittance I wanted to withhold.

Tears I have wanted to shed have turned to happiness because for a moment I could see beyond them. And hope has saved everything when I wanted most to give up in despair.

And suddenly I realize how great my progress could be if I could get myself and my emotions out of the way. How hard I push against the door that opens inward - inward, where faith and hope and trust abide.

There's not enough ambling done any more. There are too many deadlines. Time for a favorite TV show, time to take pills, time for appointments, time to catch a plane. Life is one continual alarm clock.

Never a gentle gait, but always at a dogtrot to meet those deadlines. It seems that dawdling along or staring into space is a waste of time, as the ambitious, eager for superiority, move dangerously ahead.

Many great people have known the wisdom of safeguarding their health and security by taking time to analyze, not in the role of fact sifting, but by allowing the minds to amble, to drift openly from thought to thought. This sitting idly on the sidelines and fishing quietly in the mind can catch many a solution that casting would never hook.

After a period of creative silence, attacking any deadline is made simple. The mind has had time to lay down the brittle aggressiveness and is ready to operate efficiently. Even physical weariness passes and the goal ahead isn't so far in the distance.

When there isn't time to go fishing, remember the words of American author William Mathews: "Knowledge is acquired by study and observation, but wisdom cometh by opportunity of leisure. The ripest thoughts come from a mind which is not always on the stretch, but fed, at times, by a wise passiveness."

February 26 - Daily Feast

Most of us are like the trees that grow along the moist ravine. We are where we get the best nourishment. Others are undernourished and don't know what to do about it. Many times they reject the very thing that would help because of their preconceived notion and misunderstanding of what is true. Obviously, if what we are doing shows no improvement in us, we are not doing the right thing. Most answers and remedies are simple if we were not so hardheaded and determined to make it complicated. The sooner we recognize emotions, lack of rest, and a constant flow of negative thought as enemies, the sooner we get a handle on the real problem. It takes constant monitoring to know ourselves as we really are and begin to clear the way.

~ One old elm under which the representatives of the tribes were wont to meet - will cover us all. ~

WA-O-WO-WA-NO-ONK, 1847

Elder's Meditation of the Day - February 26

"The Great Spirit is the one that's looking after us."

--Jimmy Jackson, OJIBWAY

The only place our minds can find peace is when our focus is on the Creator. Daily we need to ask the Creator to direct our thinking. When we look at our brothers and sisters, we need to see the Creator in them. When we look at the trees, plants and the animals, we need to realize the Creator is within us. Our attention needs to be on the Creator. When we work, we do it for the Creator. When we are troubled, we need to pray to the Creator. When we are happy and joyful, we need to realize we are feeling the presence of the Creator. Thinking God thoughts will produce peace.

Oh Great Mystery, let me focus on You today.

'THINK on THESE THINGS'

I don't know what time it is. It may be very late,
But I have dreams to dream and thoughts to think that simply cannot wait.
I don't know what the weather is, it may be sun or snow.
But in these books and at this time are things I need to know.
I'm not so sure that I'm alone, or if there's someone there;
It would be nice to hear a voice, for there is much to share.
I don't need to know your faults, they may not be for me.
No critics enters in this place, nor do my faults they see,
For only One Pure Being knows the time, or shows through your dear face,
Only the One Presence fills our hearts to share this quiet place.

February 27 - Daily Feast

It is important to have a vision that is not clouded with fear," said a Cherokee leader. "As children we were able to see beyond the impossible by enjoying a vision of how we wanted things to be. It required unlimited joy, and life responded freely - until we grew up enough that everything had to be real." Sometimes the vision is truer than that which comes from it. A pattern to make anything can be accurate, and if followed perfectly, can produce the perfect model of it. But bringing something forth is the problem. We have to have a steady hand and a mind that is willing to follow precisely. Few things are spelled out for us. We learn to focus on what we need, but there is still another step: Focus on fulfillment. See it completed. This is usually left out as we adopt a wait-and-see attitude, and this step is far too important to ignore.

~ Have a vision not clouded by fear. ~

THE CHEROKEE

Elder's Meditation of the Day - February 27

"The Old Ones have always said that no matter who despises or ignores you, no matter who keeps you from entering their circles, it is right to pray for them because they are like us, too."
--Larry P. Aitken, CHIPPEWA

You don't know how an apple tastes until you taste it. You don't know what a fish tastes like until you eat it. You don't know how it is to be a woman unless you are one. You don't know what it means to have a baby until you have one. So it is with the natural laws. An example: the natural law of forgiveness says, if you hate someone, pray for the person to be blessed with happiness, joy and all the blessings of the Great Spirit. You will not know about this law unless you do it. The natural law says love others as you love yourself. If you hate yourself or feel guilt in some area of yourself, you will tend to judge and condemn your neighbor. You cannot give away what you don't have. You teach your children by your example, not by your words. The natural laws are written in our hearts.

Great Spirit, teach me how to look into my heart.

'THINK on THESE THINGS'

Autumn, described by John Keats as the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness, is the most restful of all seasons. We are sensitive to a change of seasons. And at this particular time we stop to consider what our harvest is, and then the age-old promise to ourselves that next year will be better, and more productive.

But now the peace and serenity of the season is upon us, and the Artist has painted for our eyes to see the most beautiful of all seasons - the autumn.

Scattered frost has touched everything just enough to give a mottled pattern of brown and green. Early morning mists, blue and gray, hang low in the hills; brilliant red sumac and maples gold and burgundy stand out like jewels among the yellow elms.

There is a whole new world for those who wish to open their spiritual eyes. We need to insist that worries take the back seat while we sniff the sweet scent of wood smoke, and see the lavender-pink sunsets and autumn haze that settles like soft, blue fingers through the valleys. This is a picture for the soul by the Master Artist.

February 28 - Daily Feast

Memories are simply patterns stamped on our minds. Don't let them make you believe you have done everything wrong. Make new choices, find new thoughts that feed your spirit. Speak courage. Intentionally cut sorrow and regret from your thought. Get rid of tears and, if you have to, force yourself to begin smiling. It is not ridiculous to set new standards. It is common sense to turn your life around when it doesn't work the way it is. Forget what others say and believe in the Good Father. It is their privilege to make your own. We are saying the same thing, we just say it in a different way. Find your own path and fill it with flowers. See something beautiful everywhere you look. Rejoice in life itself and find your own new and happier road.

~ There is one God looking down on us all. We are all children of one God. God is listening to me. The sun, the darkness, the winds, are all listening to what we now say. ~

GERONIMO

Elder's Meditation of the Day - February 28

"Ultimately, nature will do the teaching."

--Tom Porter, MOHAWK

There are things man has control over, and there are things man does not have control over. No matter how smart we get, whether it be in technology or science, there are things we will never control. The Great Spirit carefully protected and hid the control over certain things in the Unseen World. There are forces in the Unseen World that make sure humans don't mess things up. The bottom line is, no matter what we do, nature will have the last say. Nature is the teacher, we are the students. May we honor and respect our teacher.

Great Spirit, today, help me to live in harmony with people, principles, and life.

'THINK on THESE THINGS'

Why is it that we require so much scientific proof for the most ordinary things these days, when the very fact that we lie down and close our eyes at night is the highest proof that God's world is in order. Though perhaps our personal world may not know such sequence. There comes a time when our human limitations insist that we lay down our questions and accept by faith the only way to survive ourselves.

There are those who say they must have tangible evidence that the world and all its wonders be displayed before their eyes to see in wisdom the way things really are. And yet who said the human eyes could see or ears could hear more than one tiny bit of the wonder. Who could be so bold as to believe their senses were strong enough to know, except through faith.

Who could see with the visible eye the hand that changes the seasons, or hear Job's stars that sang together at dawn. Who set the day at rest and brings the morning in all its newness.

Only so far....then explanations know no more....and though we try to disbelieve when all goes wrong, there comes a time when we want no more explanation than that God's world is on order - and we cannot change it.

Surely if someone took our hand and asked us to walk along the world and view the wonders so magnificently displayed....If by some miracle we could see the vastness of it all at once, and still bear up under the beauty of it....

If we see the rolling rise and fall of the land - the purple, pink, and golden hues of shadows hung along the mountain sides....If our ears could hear the music of the rippling streams, the rushing waters, the graceful falls.

If by some mere chance we could sense the ebb and flow, the push and relaxing of the tides, the rise and set of the sun, the glittering stars and soft-faced moon that ignores the fact that other worlds encircle ours....

And as the seasons sprinkle rain and flowers, golden leaves and snowfall....On this continuous circle....always new....always beautiful....

If we can see all this, how then, can we doubt that the earth that God created and saw as good is good. This is our land, and only our own forgetfulness of its source can make it different.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply