Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Family and Friends of Alcoholics and Addicts
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Family and Friends of Alcoholics and Addicts This forum is for families and friends whose lives have been affected by someone else's drinking and/or drug abuse.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2014, 06:25 AM   #12
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Wednesday, November 12, 2014

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Timing

Wait until the time is right. It is self-defeating to postpone or procrastinate; it is also self-defeating to act too soon, before the time is right.

Sometimes, we panic and take action out of fear. Sometimes, we take untimely action for revenge or because we want to punish someone. We act or speak too soon as a way to control or force someone to action. Sometimes, we take action too soon to relieve feelings of discomfort or anxiety about how a situation will turn out.

An action taken too soon can be as ineffective as one taken too late. It can backfire and cause more problems than it solves. Usually, when we wait until the time is right - sometimes only a matter of minutes or hours - the discomfort dissolves, and we're empowered to accomplish what we need to do.

In recovery, we are learning to be effective.

Our answers will come. Our guidance will come. Pray. Trust. Wait. Let go. We are being led. We are being guided.

Today, I will let go of my need to control by waiting until the time is right. When the time is right, I will take action.
This is such an important lesson. Jumping the gun and jumping into things just because we want it done and over with, just doesn't cut it. The old way of doing things no longer work. The same goes for procrastination, as they say, a five syllable word for sloth. Sloth conjures up such an ugly picture in my mind, I don't want to go there and yet I do, more often than not. That is when I need to bring out the Step Seven prayer, knowing the defect is there is one thing but being willing to do something about it is another. I have to find that willingness. To say is not always to do and to keep doing.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply