Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Lounge > Articles, Facts, Information, News

Share This Forum!  

Articles, Facts, Information, News Share all interesting Articles, Facts, Information, News here to read and discuss.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Your 4-point holiday diet survival plan

Your 4-point holiday diet survival plan BY SUZANNE HAVALA HOBBS

Think of it as the Soup, Sandwich, Fruit and To Go Plan.

Eat soup. I've mentioned this in previous columns, but it's worth repeating.

Soup is filling and relatively low in calories compared to a typical entrée-based meal. After all, it's mostly water.

And this time of year, it fits right in as a warm, cozy comfort food. It's quick, convenient, and easy to clean up after, a big plus when you're busy with holiday prep.

I like the varieties available in shelf-stable cartons. Many are available in reduced sodium versions, too.

The lowest calorie choices are broth-based rather than creamy, but read labels and compare.

Practice the "sandwich technique," also known as "Just say no."

The trick to saying "no" at times lies in gracefully getting out of something you don't want to do, whatever that is. Well-meaning people whom you don't want to offend or hurt, for example, may offer you something you'd rather not eat.

Respond with a sandwich by positioning the "no" between two slices of nice.

"Oh, the cake is just gorgeous. I wish I had room, but I can't eat any more right now. Thank you. You are a marvelous cook."

Repeat as needed, or if necessary, use the reverse sandwich technique.

"Truly, I just can't. But thank you anyway. It looks delicious. I have to beg off this time."

Regularly do fruit fill-ups. A large bowl full of seasonal fruits is festive and colorful and can take the place of a floral arrangement in your kitchen or office.

Add some whole nuts such as walnuts and almonds for interest.

You'll snack on what's within reach, and so will the others around you.

Up the odds that your spontaneous snacks will be oranges, tangerines, apples, pears, and bananas.

At the same time, make cookies and cakes less visible - and less likely to be an impulse choice - by putting them away in a cupboard or fridge.

Think, "To go!" and get out for a walk or a trip to the gym. Look for opportunities to be active, or create them. It's a double-edged tactic.

On one hand, if you go out for an evening walk to talk and enjoy the neighborhood decorations, you burn up calories.

At the same time, you remove yourself from the cues back home that may otherwise trigger you to eat more than you need.

Move more, eat less.

Recruit your family members or guests to go with you. Everyone will feel better and be happier.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply