Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Family and Friends of Alcoholics and Addicts

Share This Forum!  

Family and Friends of Alcoholics and Addicts This forum is for families and friends whose lives have been affected by someone else's drinking and/or drug abuse.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2014, 01:16 AM   #1
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default Pride Works From Within...

Quote:
Thursday, February 6, 2014

You are reading from the book Today's Gift

Pride works from within; it is the direct appreciation of oneself.
—Arthur Schopenhauer

Pride, like all emotions, has two faces: one healthy and one sick. It is our challenge to use the healthy side well. Sick pride fills us with ourselves, looks down on others, and has no room for generosity. Healthy pride is heavy with humility. If we can feel joyful when we succeed, and tell others about it honestly, we are not being boastful.

Sick pride often keeps us from doing things because we are too proud to ask for help when we need it, or too proud to risk failure, or too proud to do anything that might not turn out perfect.

Healthy pride about our greatest victories always comes with the awareness that we did not do it all by ourselves. We had the aid, advice, and encouragement of loved ones. In all things that really count, we never walk alone. Even those who claim pride is not a virtue admit that it is the parent of many virtues.
What makes me proud of myself today?
Proud to say that I am clean and sober one day at a time for 22 years. Proud that I followed the program and was given the opportunity to carry the message of recovery to others. I am also proud and grateful that I was receptive to the things I heard in the room and learned to apply the program to all areas of my life.

In Al-Anon, I learned that I needed it for my emotional sobriety because my dis-ease started as a child.

Proud that I followed the Good Orderly Direction, because I couldn`t have done it myself. I no longer played God with my life and found the Divine Orderly Good within myself and others.

As I was taught, `Without you, there is no me.`

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply