Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11-16-2020, 04:54 AM   #16
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 16

Prayer for Peace and Tolerance

If you believe that a smile is stronger than a weapon
If you believe in the power of a helping hand
If you believe that what unites people is more important than what divides
If you believe that being different is an asset and not a danger
If you look at the other with a little love
If you prefer hope to suspicion
If you estimate that it’s up to you to take the first step, rather than the other
If you share your bread and include a piece of your heart
If you think forgiving goes further than vengeance
if you sing other people’s happiness and dance their joy
If you listen to the unfortunate who makes you waste your time and still keep on smiling
If you accept and adopt an opinion different from yours
If the other is primarily a brother or a sister for you
If, for you, anger is weakness, not a sign of strength
If you believe that Love is the only power of dissuasion
If you believe that Peace is possible
…then, Peace will come.

-- Pierre Guilbert

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When I found A.A., I thought I was in for a struggle, and that A.A. just might provide the strength I needed to beat alcohol.

Victorious in that fight, on a daily basis, who knows what other battles I could win. Today I do not have to struggle or exert my will. If I take those Twelve Steps and let my Higher Power do the real work, my alcohol problem disappears all by itself. My living problems also cease to be struggles. I just have to ask whether acceptance -- or change -- is required. It is not my will, but His, that needs doing.

So ............

Am I trying to live the Twelve Steps on a daily basis??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Reflecting

Rainy days let us slow down. We are busy people, driving ourselves to go places and get things done. But rain seems to slow life down. The pressures of the world can drop away for a time while we reflect.

As the rain soaks into the ground, its serenity enters our hearts. Leaves on trees begin to look more green. Plants and flowers are no longer thirsty. When we slow down, we can be comforted by what we have in our hearts, knowing everything is going to be all right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Self Reliance

We reviewed our fears thoroughly. We put them on paper, even though we had no resentment in connection with them. We asked ourselves why we had them. Wasn't it because self-reliance failed us? Self-reliance was good as far as it went, but it didn't go far enough. Some of us once had great self-confidence, but it didn't fully solve the fear problem, or any other. When it made us cocky, it was worse.

Perhaps there is a better way - we think so. For we are now on a different basis; the basis of trusting and relying upon God. We trust infinite God rather than our finite selves. We are in the world to play the role He assigns. Just to the extent that we do as we think He would have us, and humbly rely on Him, does He enable us to match calamity with serenity.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 68

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.” -- John Wesley
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2020, 05:26 AM   #17
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 17

Prayer for Laughter

Dear God,
As I stumble through this life, help me to create more laughter than tears, dispense more cheer than gloom, spread more cheer than despair. Never let me become so indifferent, that I will fail to see the wonders in the eyes of a child, or the twinkle in the eyes of the aged. Never let me forget that my total effort is to cheer people, make them happy, and forget momentarily, all the unpleasantness in their lives. And in my final moment, may I hear You whisper: When you made My people smile, you made Me smile.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Fear and worry had me down.

My drinking increased them. I worried about what I had done when I was drunk. I was afraid of what the consequences might be. I was afraid to face people because of the fear of being found out. Fear kept me in hot water all the time. I was a nervous wreck from fear and worry. I was a tied-up bundle of nerves. I had a fear of failure, of the future, of growing old, of sickness, of hangovers, of suicide. I had a wrong set of ideas and attitudes. When A.A. told me to surrender these fears and worries to a Higher Power, I did so. I now try to think faith instead of fear.

So ............

Have I put faith in place of fear?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Pain

Our pain is often associated with events in the past, which are still troubling us unconsciously. If we are willing to stay with the emotional discomfort and pain, we will eventually gain understanding.

When we are able to identify the source of the pain, we can examine it in the light of our present maturity and begin to put it behind us. As long as we avoid feeling the pain, we deny ourselves the healing which our Higher Power can give us.

Can & will II accept the pain that is necessary for continued growth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lessons

I find the willingness to give thanks by contemplating the lessons learned from past suffering--lessons which have led to blessings I now enjoy. I can remember how the agonies of alcoholism, the pain of rebellion and thwarted pride, have often led me to God's grace, and so to a new freedom.

As Bill See It Page 266

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love." --- Basil (329-379 A.D.)
Old 11-18-2020, 04:25 AM   #18
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 18

Prayer For Tough Times

Dear Lord,
Teach me to be content when I’m facing a bad day.
How easy it is to be happy when everything goes my well.
How tough it is to remember my joy when one thing after another appears to defeat me.
Turn my frown into a smile. Tears into laughter.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I am content to face the rest of my life without alcohol.

I have surrendered as gracefully as possible to the inevitable. I have made the great decision once and for all. I have no more reservations. Nothing can happen to me now that would justify my taking a drink. No death of a dear one. No great calamity in any area of my life should justify me in drinking. Even if I were on some desert isle, far from the rest of the world, but not far from God, should I ever feel it right to drink. For me, alcohol is out - period.

So ............

I will always be safe unless I take that first drink. Am I fully resigned to this fact?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Holding Your Own

Sometimes, it is hard to stand in our own truth and trust what we know, especially when others would try to convince us otherwise. Others may be dealing with issues of guilt and shame. They may have their own agenda. They may be immersed in denial.

Believing lies is dangerous. When we stop trusting our truth, when we repress our instincts, when we tell ourselves there must be something wrong with us for feeling what we feel or believing what we believe, we deal a deadly blow to our self and our health. We discount that important part of ourselves that knows what is the truth. This does not mean that we are never wrong. But we are not always wrong.

Today, I will trust my truth, my instincts, and my ability to ground myself in reality. I will not allow myself to be swayed by bullying, manipulating, games, dishonesty, or people with peculiar agendas. Trust yourself. Trust what you know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ultimate Authority

Tradition Two - "For our group purpose, there is but one ultimate authority - a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience."

Where does A.A. get its direction? Who runs it? This, too, is a puzzler for every friend and newcomer. When told that our Society has no president having authority to govern it, no treasurer who can compel the payment of any dues, no board of directors who can cast an erring member into outer darkness, when indeed no A.A. can give another a directive and enforce obedience, our friends gasp and exclaim, "This simply can't be. There must be an angle somewhere." These practical folk then read Tradition Two, and learn that the sole authority in A.A. is a loving God as He may express Himself in the group conscience. They dubiously ask an experienced A.A. member if this really works. The member, sane to all appearances, immediately answers, "Yes! It definitely does." The friends mutter that this looks vague, nebulous, pretty naive to them. Then they commence to watch us with speculative eyes, pick up a fragment of A.A. history, and soon have the solid facts.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 13

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

”Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us.” -- Eric Hoffer
Old 11-19-2020, 05:17 AM   #19
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 19

Prayer for Tolerance
Spiritual Practice by Voltaire

O Thou God of all beings, of all worlds, and of all times,
We pray, that the little differences in our clothes,
In our inadequate languages,
In our ridiculous customs,
In our imperfect laws,
In our illogical opinions,
In our ranks and conditions which are so disproportionately important to us
And so meaningless to you,
That these small variations
That distinguish those atoms that we call men, one from another,
May not be signals of hatred and persecution!

-- Voltaire (1964-1778)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Strength comes from the fellowship of A.A.

Just being with men and women who have found the way out gives you a feeling of security. You listen to the speakers, you talk with other members, and you absorb the atmosphere of confidence and hope that you find in the place.

So ............

Am I receiving strength from the fellowship with other A.A. members?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Tomorrow Is Another Day

Trying to do everything today is just another example of self will run riot. We are not super people and we cannot perform miracles. It is our Higher Power who makes possible our accomplishments, and His work is done slowly and gradually. God never expects more of us than we are able to deliver. It is our own pride that entices us to tackle the impossible.

As long as we are alive, our work will not be finished. Each day we are given new tasks to do and new experiences to enjoy. What we do not complete today can be continued tomorrow, according to the will of our God.

I can leave tomorrow's tasks for tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Release

Who can render an account of all the miseries that have once been ours, and who can estimate the release and joy that the later years have brought to us? Who could possibly tell the vast consequences of what God's work through AA had already set in motion?

As Bill Sees It Page 163

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Alcoholism is above all a disease of denial.” -- David Stafford
Old 11-20-2020, 05:03 AM   #20
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 20

Prayer to Release Anger, Resentment and Bitterness

God,
You know I am troubled by thoughts and feelings of anger, resentment and bitterness. You also know why. And You know how deep the hurt goes and how long I have lived with it. But I don’t want to live with it any longer. I don’t want to be an angry, resentful and bitter person. With Your help, I release my anger into Your hands. I surrender my resentment. I let go of my bitterness. Help me to keep letting go and release these toxic emotions as often as they try to return.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I have turned to a Power greater than myself.

I am no longer at the center of the universe. The entire world does not revolve around me any longer. I am only one among many. I have a Father in heaven and I am only one of His children and a small one at that. But I can depend on Him to show me what to do and to give me the strength to do it. I am on the Way and the whole power of the universe is behind me when I do the right thing. I do not have to depend entirely on myself any longer. With God, I can face anything.

So ............

Is my life in the hands of God?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Accepting God's Will

Disappointments and hurts can send us into an orgy of self-pity if we are not willing to accept them as part of our Higher Power's plan. We do not understand why we must suffer disappointments and frustrations, but trusting God means that we accept our share of this world's pain.

When we look back on former disappointments, we are often able to see that what we so desperately wanted at the time would not have been the best thing for us. Our vision and judgment are limited. Faith in God's purposes can relieve us of unnecessary hurt and frustration.

To accept God's will is not to passively absorb all that happens to us like an inert sponge. It is to actively seek knowledge of His plan for our lives and to purposefully work according to the knowledge we receive. Acceptance is positive and cooperative. God's will is what I seek to accept.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Choices

We cannot wholly rely on friends to solve all our difficulties. A good adviser will never do all our thinking for us. He knows that each final choice must be ours. He will therefore help to eliminate fear, expediency, and self-deception, enabling us to make choices which are loving, wise, and honest.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 55

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Change happens in an instant. It happens the moment you DECIDE to change.” -- Allyson Lewis
Old 11-21-2020, 05:33 AM   #21
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 21

Humility Prayer

God, I am far too often influenced by what others think of me. I am always pretending to be either richer or smarter or nicer than I really am. Please prevent me from trying to attract attention. Don't let me gloat over praise on one hand or be discouraged by criticism on the other. Nor let me waste time weaving imaginary situations in which the most heroic, charming, witty person present is myself. Show me how to be humble of heart.
Amen

-- Author Unknown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I have learned to live one day at a time. I have finally realized the great fact that all I have is now. This sweeps away all vain regret and it makes my thoughts of the future free of fear.

Now is mine. I can do what I want with it. I own it, for better or worse. What I do now, in this present moment, is what makes up my life. My whole life is only a succession of nows. I will take this moment, which has been given to me by the grace of God, and I will do something with it. What I do with each now will make me or break me.

So ............

Am I living in the now?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Spiritual Development

Spiritual development is achieved by daily persistence in living the way you believe God wants you to live.

Like the wearing away of a stone by steady drops of water, so will your daily persistence wear away all the difficulties and gain spiritual success for you. Never falter in this daily, steady persistence. Go forward boldly and unafraid. God will help and strengthen you, as long as you are trying to do His will.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beneficial Responsibility

Happily, A.A.'s per capita expenses are very low. For us to fail to meet them would be to evade a responsibility beneficial for us.

Most alcoholics have said they had no troubles that money would not cure. We are a group that, when drinking, always held out a hand for funds. So when we commence to pay our own service bills, this is a healthy change.

“As Bill See It” Page 84

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same.” -- Francesca Reigler
Old 11-22-2020, 05:56 AM   #22
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 22

Sarum Primer Prayer

God be in my head
and in my understanding;
God be in my eyes
and in my looking;
God be in my mouth
and in my speaking;
God be in my heart
and in my thinking;
God be in my end
and at my departing.

-- Author Unknown, c. 1514
(the Sarum Primer of 1514, which was a book of prayers that was collected by the clergy at Salisbury Cathedral in the south central part of England)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Strength comes from coming to believe in a Higher Power that can help you.

You might not be able to define this Higher Power, but you can see how it helps other alcoholics. You hear them talk about it and you begin to get the idea yourself. You try praying in a quiet time each morning and you begin to feel stronger, as though your prayers were heard. So you gradually come to believe there must be a Power in the world outside of yourself, which is stronger than you and which you can turn to for help.

So ............

Am I receiving strength from my faith in a Higher Power?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Selfish Desires

We should work at overcoming our selfish desires and our self-centeredness. This can never be fully accomplished. We can never become entirely unselfish. But we can come to realize that we are not at the center of the universe and that everything does not revolve around us at the center.

I can at least make the effort to conquer the self-life and seek daily to obtain more and more of this self-conquest.** "He that overcomes himself is greater than he who conquers a city."

**(Self conquest is a value which makes us strive for perfection in every aspect of our lives, overcoming handicaps and striving to achieve what we have intended.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shared Gift

Faith is more than our greatest gift; its sharing with others is our greatest responsibility. May we of A.A. continually seek the wisdom and the willingness by which we may well fulfill that immense trust which the Giver of all perfect gifts has placed in our hands.

"As Bill Sees It" Page 13

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Optimism is a happiness magnet. If you stay positive good things and good people will be drawn to you.” -- Mary Lou Retton
Old 11-23-2020, 05:18 AM   #23
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 23

Prayer Against Debilitating Storm

Lord, as I battle these enemies of fear, stress, and irrational thoughts that are intense and debilitating, make me strong.
When these fierce assaults come against me, and my heart is racing and I find it hard to breathe, help me persevere in resisting these attacks.
Thank You that You’re with me, and I’m not alone in my struggle.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Thank God, that I have A.A. meetings to go to.

Where would I go without them? Where would I be without them? Where would I find the sympathy, the understanding, the fellowship, and the companionship? Nowhere else in the world. I have come home. I have found the place where I belong. I no longer wander alone over the face of the earth. I am at peace and at rest. What a great gift has been given me by A.A.! I do not deserve it. But it is nevertheless mine. I have a home at last. I am content.

So ............

Do I thank God every day for the A.A. fellowship?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Gift of Life

When we are ill, we are forced to face our own mortality. A close brush with death is enough to put the fear of dying into us, but with this fear a sense of spiritually may flow through our lives. Problems, which once seemed overwhelming diminish in size. The trees are greener, the sky is bluer. People are kinder and more sharing than ever before.

We often don’t miss what we’ve taken for granted until it’s nearly yanked away from us. All of a sudden, every day is a gift. Every day is precious chance to live.

I am continuing the struggle to make each day the best one because I rejoice in the gift of life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Getting Active

I know today that getting active means trying to live the suggested Steps of The Program to the best of my ability. It means striving for some degree of honesty, first with myself, then with others. It means activity directed inward,m to enable me to see myself and my relationship with my Higher Power more clearly. As I get active, outside and inside myself, so shall I grow in The Program. Do I let others do all the work at meetings? Do I carry my share?

May I realize that “letting go and letting God” does not mean that I do not have to put any effort into The Program. It is up to me to work the Twelve Steps, to learn what may be an entirely new thing with me — honesty. May I differentiate between activity for activity’s sake — busy-work to keep me from thinking – - and the thoughtful activity which helps me to grow.

--- Danielle S., San Francisco, CA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“You wouldn’t worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.” -- Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 11-24-2020, 04:34 AM   #24
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 24

Obsessive Thoughts Prayer

Lord,
You know how much I want to cling to these concerns and rehearse them over and over again in my head.
Rid me of these obsessive thoughts. I give all my worries and cares to You, for I know You care about each minor detail.
Forgive me for failing to fully trust in Your providence for me, and help me develop a greater faith.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Strength comes also from working with other alcoholics.

When you are trying to help a new prospect with the program, you are building up your own strength at the same time. You see the other person in the condition you might be in yourself and it makes your resolve to stay sober stronger than ever. Often, you help yourself more than the other person, but if you do succeed in helping the prospect to get sober, you are stronger from the experience of having helped another person.

So ............

Am I still receiving strength from helping others?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Contributing

Our lives have been enriched by the contributions of those who lived before us. Many men and women gave more than they ever took from society, and now we enjoy the rewards. They gave so much because they knew they were a part of their community and the world.

Most of us cannot make the great contributions that will make us famous, but we enrich our lives when we contribute freely to improving our community and the world. We do that when we simply say hello to our neighbor, or when we serve on volunteer committees to beautify and enrich our neighborhoods. This allows us to contribute to the world, and that gives us a feeling of peace and self-respect.

Today, I will appreciate all that comes freely to me from others, and I will give what I can to make the world a better place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Self Will

The philosophy of self-sufficiency doesn't pay off. Plainly enough, it is a bone-crushing juggernaut whose final achievement is ruin. Therefore, we can consider ourselves fortunate indeed. Each of us has had his own near-fatal encounter with the juggernaut of self-will, and has suffered enough under its weight to look for something better.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Pages 37-38

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.” -- Lao Tzu, ancient Chinese philosopher
Old 11-25-2020, 05:05 AM   #25
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 25

Early Version of the Seventh Step Prayer

Dear God,

I am coming to You on my knees in all humility to humbly ask You to forgive all my past wrongs and to remove all my defects of character. I want to start a new life today, and I ask You to help me do so and to keep helping if I keep asking.

In Step Three, I turned my will and my life over to Your care. Thank You for taking complete control of my life, and thank You for this opportunity to wipe my slate clean and start my life anew. In Steps Four, Five and Six I have completed my moral inventory and admitted to myself and another person the exact nature of my wrongs. I now admit these wrongs to You, God.

I am entirely ready to ask and pray now that You please remove from me every single defect of character. Specifically, I ask You to remove the following shortcomings listed in my Fourth Step moral inventory:
(Read aloud here those defects from your list.)

Thank You, God, for this opportunity for a new beginning in my life and a chance to be a part of the solutions in life instead of the problems. Please grant me wisdom, knowledge and strength as I go out from here to do Your work and live the Victorious Life You designed for me.

Thank You, God, for the steps which will make Your plan for my life clear to me. Thank You and praise Your name.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I can help other alcoholics. I am of some use in the world. I have a purpose in life. I am worth something at last.

My life has a direction and a meaning. All that feeling of futility is gone. I can do something worthwhile. God has given me a new lease on life so that I can help other alcoholics. He has let me live through all the hazards of my alcoholic life to bring me at last to a place of real usefulness in the world. He has let me live for this. This is my opportunity and my destiny.

So ............

I am worth something! Will I give as much of my life as I can to A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Guiding Principle

All of us have our own battles to win, the battle between the material view of life and the spiritual view. Something must guide our lives. Will it be wealth, pride, selfishness, and greed or will it be faith, honesty, purity, unselfishness, love, and service? Each one has a choice. We can choose good or evil. We cannot choose both. Are we going to keep striving until we win the battle? If we win the victory, we can believe that even God in His heaven will rejoice.

Today, I seek to choose the good and resist the evil. Also, I pray that I will not be a loser in the battle for righteousness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Room for Improvement

We have come to believe that A.A.'s recovery Steps and Traditions represent the approximate truths which we need for our particular purpose. The more we practice them, the more we like them. So there is little doubt that A.A. principles will continue to be advocated in the form they stand now.
If our basics are so firmly fixed as all this, then what is there left to change or to improve?
The answer will immediately occur to us. While we need not alter our truths, we can surely improve their application to ourselves, to A.A. as a whole, and to our relation with the world around us. We can constantly step up the practice of 'these principles in all our affairs.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come." -- Joseph Campbell
Old 11-26-2020, 04:18 AM   #26
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 26

Prayer of Thanksgiving

God,

In this Thanksgiving year of 2020,
when we are separated from family and friends,
when it’s hard to travel and gather together,
and celebrate Thanksgiving as we’ve done in the past,
help us to embrace what is.
Help us to give thanks within the uncertainty.
Help us to give thanks within our sorrow, within our fears.
In all things, may we open our hearts and give You thanks.
Amen.

-- Sandra Lucas

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

You get the power to overcome drinking through the fellowship of other alcoholics who came before you.

You get that power by honestly sharing your past experience. You get that power by coming to believe in a Higher Power, the Divine Principle in the universe which can help you. You get that power by working with other alcoholics. In these four ways, thousands of alcoholics have found all the power they needed to overcome drinking.

So ............

Am I ready and willing to accept this power and work for it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Greatest Power

The power of God's spirit is the greatest power in the universe. Our conquest of each other, the great kings and conquerors, the conquest of wealth, the leaders of the money society, all amount to very little in the end. But one that conquers oneself is greater than one who conquers a city. Material things have no permanence. But God's spirit is eternal. Everything really worth while in the world is the result of the power of God's spirit.

Today, I seek to open myself to the power of God's spirit. Also, I pray that my relationships with others may be improved by this spirit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There Is A Solution

If you are as seriously alcoholic as we were, we believe there is no middle-of-the-road solution. We were in a position where life was becoming impossible, and if we had passed into the region from which there is no return through human aid, we had but two alternatives: One was to go on to the bitter end, blotting out the consciousness of our intolerable situation as best we could; and the other, to accept spiritual help. This we did because we honestly wanted to, and were willing to make the effort.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 25

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself.” -- Tecumseh (1768 1812)
Old 11-27-2020, 05:28 AM   #27
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 27

A Prayer for the Day After Thanksgiving

May we remember that thanks-giving isn’t a day or a celebration. May we remember that the act of giving thanks is a daily commitment, an intentional act of love, a spiritual practice of sorts, and an understanding that we are all a little broken, that we are all desperately in need of grace. The act of giving thanks is gritty and clumsy, awkward and vulnerable, constant and filled with kind truth.

May we remember that gratitude is a peaceful appreciation for the absolute privilege of life, with its inherent flaws, messiness, and organized chaos. May we remember that gratitude isn’t just obligatory thank-you’s for gifts and favors or bold professions of our blessings. Gratitude is a deeply felt inner truth, a delicate art form to be practiced, and refined over the course of a lifetime.

As we move further into the holiday season, may we remember that it is a season of gratitude, abundantly full of the connective fibers of life and the very essence of what it means to be alive.

-- Unknown Author

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When you come into an A.A. meeting, you're not just coming into a meeting, you're coming into a new life.

I'm always impressed by the change I see in people after they've been in A.A. for a while. I sometimes take an inventory of myself, to see whether I have changed and if so, in what way. Before I met A.A., I was very selfish. I wanted my own way in everything. I don't believe I ever grew up. When things went wrong, I sulked like a spoiled child and often went out and got drunk.

So ............

Am I still all get and no give?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Respect

We owe each other respect. We cannot expect to be respected if we don't respect others around us. When we respect others, we respect their property and personal belongings as well as their self-esteem and their right to voice an opinion. Respect is a way of cooperating with each other.

In a family we live in close quarters.Respect for each other is one of the things, which keep chaos from breaking out. When we grow in respect for each other's property, abilities, and self-esteem, we soon see how valuable each member of our family really is.

I will try and show respect to those around me today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pickles

We are also convinced, after the countless attempts we made to prove otherwise, that alcoholism is incurable -- just like some other illnesses. It cannot be "cured" in this sense: We cannot change our body chemistry and go back to being the normal, moderate social drinkers lots of us seemed to be in our youth. . . we can no more make that change than a pickle can change itself back into a cucumber.

Living Sober Page 8

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"You Won’t Feel Happy If You Have Never Experienced What Makes You Unhappy." -- Lifehack Quotes
Old 11-28-2020, 04:55 AM   #28
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 28

Prayer to Reduce Fear

Dear Lord,
You know that we live in a crazy and chaotic world. You also know my struggles in my daily life. When life gets to be too much, please help me come to you. Calm my thoughts and emotions and open my heart to your peace, comfort, and wisdom. Help me not to live in fear. Please reduce the feelings of fear and anxiety that plague me. Help me rest in You and trust You as I navigate through this broken world..
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

What other rewards have come to me as a result of my new way of living?

Each one of us can answer this question in many ways. My relationship with my husband or my wife is on an entirely new plane. The total selfishness is gone and more cooperation has taken its place. My home is a home again. Understanding has taken the place of misunderstanding, recriminations, bickering, and resentment. A new companionship has developed which bodes well for the future.

"There are homes where fires burn and there is bread, lamps are lit and prayers are said. Though people falter through the dark and nations grope, with God Himself back of these little homes, we still can hope."

So ............

Have I come home?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Fear of Pain

The pain we anticipate — whether it be a flu shot, a lengthy dental procedure, or surgery — is usually worse than the actual pain. Perhaps this is because the anticipation of pain includes fear or dread.

As we deal with pain, we may find healthier ways to cope with it. Once, even the sense of headache coming might have caused us to tense our muscles and prepare for the onslaught. Now, we’re more likely to settle down to begin thinking of positive imagery or relaxation therapy. We are giving ourselves the moments we need to be alone, to breathe deeply, to think of a beautiful and calming sight. We’re learning to relax and be less fearful.

I need to remind myself of my personal power. I can exercise control over my body and strive to minimize the effect of fear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gratitude

Gratitude is the measure of our appreciation for what we've been given. We in Program have SO much for which we should be thankful. We stand on the shoulders of giants - we are indebted to those members who've proceeded us in Program and handed down the tools, wisdom and resources - the bedrock upon which our recovery is based. We are indebted to our HP, our sponsors, to those who do service in innumerable ways at the Recovery Group and - to each other - for mutual love and support - and for our precious gift of recovery. Be grateful for each day - each moment.

"One Day at a Time . . . I will continue to practice the attitude of gratitude and learn to forgive others."
--- Rob R.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don’t have.” -- Woody Allen
Old 11-29-2020, 04:19 AM   #29
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 29

Self Respect Prayer

Dear Lord,
Thank You for giving me the richest gift of all: You taught me to respect myself. I have the ability to say “no” to the toxic people in my life.
I am now able to surround myself with only those who share authentic love through word and deed. I can grow to my full potential.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I have lost much of my inferiority complex.

I was always trying to escape from life. I did not want to face reality. I was full of self-pity. I was constantly sorry for myself. I tried to avoid all responsibilities. I did not feel that I would handle the responsibilities of my family or my work. Owing to my inferiority complex, I was eager to be free of all responsibilities. I wanted to drift; I wanted to be "on the beach." A.A. showed me how to get over my feeling of inferiority. It made me want to accept responsibility again.

So ............

Have I lost my inferiority complex?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Our Imaginations

We use our imaginations to plan how we're going to build a model car or plane, rearrange the furniture in our rooms, even dress for a special party. The imagination is like a big piece of drawing paper on which we sketch the way we want something to look.

When we don't know just how to begin a task, the imagination gets us started. It's like having the directions for playing a new game. Dreams about the future, where we want to go, the jobs we want to have, are made more real when we "draw" them in our minds. The imagination gives us courage, too.

Yes, I do have the courage today, to imagine a better me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If

Alcoholism respects no ifs. It does not go away, not for a week, for a day, or even for an hour, leaving us nonalcoholic and able to drink again on some special occasion or for some extraordinary reason -- not even if it is a once-in-a-lifetime celebration, or if a big sorrow hits us, or if it rains in Spain or the stars fall on Alabama. Alcoholism is for us unconditional, with no dispensation available at any price.

Living Sober Page 63

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up.” -- John Andrew Holme
Old 11-30-2020, 05:29 AM   #30
bluidkiti
Administrator

November 30

Let Go of the Past Prayer

At times Lord God I know the things in life will only get better.
My heart is yours and yours alone.
I no longer want to hurt myself because of how someone once treated me.
I punish those who may actually be here just to help me get through hard times.
Lord, I ask that you give me strength to carry on.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Before I met A.A., I was very unloving.

From the time I went away to school, I paid very little attention to my mother and father, I was on my own and didn't even bother to keep in touch with them. After I got married, I was very unappreciative of my spouse. Many a time I would go out all by myself to have a good time. I paid too little attention to our children and didn't try to understand them or show them affection. My few friends were only drinking companions, not real friends.

So............

Have I gotten over loving nobody but my self?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Self Value

Yes, we do have a real life of our own.Those empty feelings, which sense that everyone except us has a life - an important life, a valuable life, a better life - is a remnant from the past. It is also a self-defeating belief that is inaccurate.

Yes, we are real. So is our life. Jump into it, and see. The more you engage with meaningful life, not only does it grow with time, it also provides you with a happy, fulfilling life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Gift

To those of us who have hitherto known only excitement, depression, or anxiety -- in other words, to all of us -- this newfound peace is a priceless gift.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 74

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Let go of the past, but keep the lessons it taught you.” -- Chiara Gizzi
Post New ThreadReply