Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Spiritual Meditations Post spiritual meditations here to read and feel free to share.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 06-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #16
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 16

GETTING UP

“I have been brought into a way of living infinitely more satisfying and, I hope, more useful than the life I lived before.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 42-43

“The Lord is kind and merciful...full of unfailing love.” Psalm 145: 8

For what it's worth: Alcoholism stole my dreams of a satisfying and useful life and dumped me deep in despair. There would be no mercy for me. Certainly, no love. I was down as low as I dare go. Later, sober in Alcoholics Anonymous, I would come to realize God reached down and lifted me up to a useful and satisfying life. This demonstration of God's mercy and love gave me an overwhelming sense of gratitude and trust. Today, if I sense I am drifting back down hill, I grab onto something strong, remembering what God has done for me, and pull hard on my attitude of gratitude and trust. This always gets me back up.

God bless you.
Joe W.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #17
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 17

A BIG JOYFUL REWARD

"Simple, but not easy; a price had to be paid." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 14

"Put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me." Mark 8:34

the For what it's worth: As the slave of alcoholism, I was not only blinded by the drug alcohol, I was so self-focused I could not see the harm I created for myself and others. I nearly died not knowing. Thank God, sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous opened my eyes to the tragedy of my drinking existence, and my disease is arrested, but the consequences continue. They are a price to be paid. I know God helps with the payments because professional care and the therapy in the Twelve Steps are healing some of my wounds. But, sadly, the bleeding caused to some others may never stop. There are some days this awareness and continuing repercussions of my alcoholism are heavy, and I struggle to keep following in the way of the Twelve Steps, but carrying this small cross promises to pay a big joyful reward.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #18
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 18

BLOCKING THE FLOW

"Reminding ourselves that we have decided to go to any lengths to find a spiritual experience, we ask that we be given strength and direction to do the right thing, no matter what the personal consequences may be." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 79

“Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about you.” 1 Peter 5:7

For what it's worth: My alcoholic drinking and shutting out God left me spiritually bankrupt. No wonder I was shocked when Alcoholics Anonymous told me I needed a spiritual condition. They said the only protection I had from alcoholism's devastation was a daily reprieve, and that was dependent upon my spiritual condition. That fear drove me to beg God's help. He offered me the tools: Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, the people’s support, a sponsor, the Twelve Steps, and a Big Book. I work hard with those tools every day, begging for God's strength to do His will, “no matter what the personal consequences". When I do, spirituality flows abundantly. But, when I insist on my will, I block the flow.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #19
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 19

HIS STUBBORN MULE

"Self-seeking will slip away." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 84

"Do not be like a senseless horse or mule that needs a bit and bridle to keep it under control." Psalm 32:9

For what it's worth: My alcoholism enslaved me in a dark, bottomless pit of self-centeredness for years. Being rid of the drink is only the beginning of climbing out of that pit. It still calls to me, so my battle with self is ongoing. Thanks to God's grace and years of practicing the principles of Alcoholics Anonymous, self-seeking is slowly slipping away. But despite my best efforts and prayers, the senseless, selfish mule in me wants to run wild. I want what I want when I want it. I insist on my way and my will. And I pursue my wants instead of being happy that all of my needs have been provided. I am deeply grateful that God loves donkeys like me. He is overwhelmingly generous and merciful with me. And He is so patient with this stubborn mule of His. Thank you, Heavenly Father.

God bless you.
Joe W.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 06-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #20
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 20

INSIDIOUS PRIDE

"Almost none of us liked the self-searching, the leveling of our pride, the confession of shortcomings which the process requires for its successful consummation." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 25

"Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before stumbling." Proverbs 16:18

For what it's worth: What was there to be proud of while alcoholism reduced me to a mess of worthlessness? Yet, I acted with “a haughty spirit” to impress others and hide the mess. Being an alcoholic hypocrite for years made it hard to drop my prideful front, but recovery in Alcoholics Anonymous demands an honest and humble spirit. I had to level my pride and ask for help. God heard my plea and gave me the Twelve Steps to search out and be rid of the insidious ways pride hides itself from me while setting me up for the fall. Again, today, I ask my Heavenly Father to keep me honest and humble about who and what I am and how much I need Him. He will because He knows my heart and loves me just as I am.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #21
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 21

TODAY’S CHALLENGES AND BLESSINGS

“When the time comes to solve them (problems of the future), God will give me strength for that day." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 300, (Fourth Edition)

"So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today." Mathew 6:34

For what it's worth: My alcoholic mind was full of fierce thoughts about the future. The alcohol I used for relief created even more fear. Often, I attempted a cowardly suicide so not to face that frightful tomorrow. God rescued me from the inevitable and carried me to a place where I could find true relief, Alcoholics Anonymous. Gradually, living the principles of Alcoholics Anonymous and seeking closeness with God, I grew free of the fear of the future, and I learned to live one day at a time. Today is here now, and I look forward to both, the challenges and the blessings. My Heavenly Father always sees to it that the blessings are plenty and the challenges build strength and trust.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #22
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 22

A BUNCH OF MIRACLES

"My ideas about miracles were drastically revised right then." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 11

"He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10

For what it’s worth: My life turned out to be horror and misery, convincing me there would be no miracles in my life. There have been, however, thanks to God's loving mercy; more than I could have ever imagined; far more than deserved; and, it all started simply by walking into a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous. First, there was a seed of hope planted into the hardened heart and empty soul of this hopeless drunk. As I miraculously stayed sober one day at a time, this seed of hope grew into a whole forest full. During this time many more miracles matured: I grew able to trust; I began to know that I was lovable and could be loved; I gained some worth and knew I was worthwhile; I came to believe that a Higher Power could not only make me sane, but love and care for me – unconditionally; and, instead of distancing myself from Him, I want to grow closer. Yes, I am a living, breathing miracle. More accurately, I am a living, breathing bunch of miracles.

God bless you.

Joe W.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #23
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 23

LISTEN FOR THE MIRACLE

“The great fact is just this, and nothing less: That we have had deep and effective spiritual experiences which have revolutionized our whole attitude toward life, toward our fellows and toward God's universe.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 25:2

“I will help you speak well, and I will tell you what to say.” Exodus 4:12

For what it’s worth: Although I ran my mouth a lot, there was nothing worth talking about during my miserable, alcoholic existence. This changed, thanks to the miracle of recovery. Now I have a “deep and effective spiritual experience” to share with others. However, I do not need to sit at a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous and think about what and how I am going to tell others about my experience. This blocks me from listening, and I miss hearing about some one else’s miracle. I need to trust that my Higher Power will tell me what to say.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #24
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 24

THE POWER OF SHARING

“If he is alcoholic, he will understand you at once.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 92

“I'm eager to encourage you in your faith, but I also want to be encouraged by yours. In this way, each of us will be a blessing to the other.” Romans 1:12

For what it’s worth: No one understood me. Such I believed until I arrived at Alcoholics Anonymous. At first in Alcoholics Anonymous, I was still too foggy to recognize the wealth of empathy there, but my heart heard it, even at my first meeting. I was starving for hope and understanding, and I found it there in Alcoholics Anonymous in the depth of the caring and sharing of Alcoholics Anonymous members. That is what kept me coming back. I have never been involved with people any where else that speak the language of the heart like in Alcoholics Anonymous. Even after years of attending Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, I am inspired by the way we touch each others soul. I have grown to believe that God attends the meetings. When an Alcoholics Anonymous member sincerely shares their experience, strength and hope, I can feel Him there. His spirit, will, and love are demonstrated so vividly to me in that healing place of His.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #25
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 25

RESCUE FROM “LIVING DEATH”

"They have a new attitude, and they have been saved from a living death." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 150

“When the poor and needy search for water and there is none, and their tongues are parched from thirst, then I, the Lord, will answer them." Isaiah 41:17

For what it’s worth: “A living death” well described my wretched existence while I was enslaved by alcoholism. I was most certainly "poor and needy" in every way, and my soul was “parched”, thirsting for even the slightest fulfillment. I prayed to die. But God heard my cry and answered with life, not death, by guiding me to Alcoholics Anonymous. Here I discovered hope to live one more day. Then another meeting and hope to live another day - and on and on, one day at a time until I loved life. But death did occur – the old me died. I have a new attitude and my yearning has been satisfied with the unconditional love of my Heavenly Father.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #26
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 26

MY WEAKNESS, HIS STRENGTH

"…We ask God's forgiveness and inquire what corrective measures should be taken." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 86

"My gracious favor is all you need. My power works best in your weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

For what it's worth: God's favor would never be mine. Shame caused that belief back in my drinking days. All too often, even with years of sobriety, my continuing weaknesses cause me to feel unworthy. My experience proves that God does work through my weakness, so I go confidently to my Heavenly Father and tell him here I am again, Lord, your weak child. I beg His forgiveness and ask His help to change. Today I will be grateful He never lets me down when I desperately need His patience and love. And I will thank Him for His favor, using me as an instrument of His strength when I am so weak and unworthy.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:16 PM   #27
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 27

GOD IS GENEROUS

“Never could we recapture the great moments of the past.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 151

"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.” Isaiah 43:18

For what it's worth: What a waste! I lost so many of life’s precious moments to alcohol. Many I will never remember because of blackouts. However, I do not want to squander even more by dwelling on the past. Instead, let me focus on the many joyful moments I have experienced in recovery. Every thing I ever lost to alcohol has been freely restored to me a hundredfold. Dreams I never believed could possibly come true are reality. God has been generous with me!

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #28
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 28

WHAT HAPPENED

“Ideas, emotions, and attitudes which were once the guiding forces of the lives of these men are suddenly cast to one side, and a completely new set of conceptions and motives begin to dominate them.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 27:4

“He will yet fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy.” Job 8:21

For what it's worth: Was it a miraculous transformation? A spiritual awakening? What words truly describe what happen to me? I was a worthless, self-absorbed, miserable drunk. Now I have value. Now I care deeply about others. My life is full. I do not know the words to describe it, nor do I feel worthy of such wonder as has occurred deep within my being. It has to be a gift from God. It could not have come from any other source - certainly not from me. I am the one who used to curse God. I am the one who hurt many of His children. I remember the tears of despair and the shame of my sinful behaviors. I used to spit at myself in the mirror. However, now, I can laugh at myself, and enjoy feeling worthwhile and loved. Now I do my best to shout joyfully the glory of my Heavenly Father. Only He could have made that possible!

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:05 AM   #29
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 29

HIS DAILY BREAD – MY DAILY REPRIEVE

“What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 85

“Give us each day our daily bread.” Luke 11:3
For what it’s worth: When I was drinking, I focused on just getting through this one day until drunkenness dissolved it all anyway. So, in that sense, my alcoholic existence was on a daily basis. Now that I am not drinking, thanks to Alcoholics Anonymous and a merciful Higher Power, I pray my daily reprieve is built upon a more spiritual foundation. Or is it just words? Something I hear every now and then at a meeting? Or read once in awhile in the Big Book? Do I inventory my spiritual condition daily? Do I ever meditate about the daily reprieve statement? Do I truly appreciate this precious gift? I must improve, so each morning as I prepare for my day, I will gratefully think of my Heavenly Father personally handing me his daily bread, my daily reprieve.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #30
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 30

SELF GETTING IN THE WAY

“Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 63

“Don't be selfish.” Phippians 2: 3
For what it’s worth: Alcoholism, I am told, is a disease of self-centeredness. It certainly was for me; I drank alcohol with no regard for others. It seemed cruel then, but natural now that I ended up alone with my miserable self. And there is where I would have died, except for Alcoholics Anonymous. God knew what He was doing; no therapy other than the Twelve Steps could have cracked the steel surface of my self-centeredness. Without that progress, I could not remain sober. Actually, I could not make any spiritual progress. For example, when I offer myself to God each morning in my Third Step prayer, I could not expect Him to build anything with me according to His will, if I insisted on having everything according to my will. Perhaps that is the reason we ask for relief from bondage of self in the Third Step prayer. I wonder if I need to ask for it in all of the Steps. I do not see how any of the Steps can be accomplished with self always getting in the way.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Post New ThreadReply