Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings > Daily Recovery Readings Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #28
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 28

Daily Reflections

THE TREASURE OF THE PAST

Showing others who suffer how we were given help is the very thing which makes life
seem so worth while to us now. Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is
the greatest possession you have -- the key to life and happiness for others. With it you
can avert death and misery for them.
ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 124

What a gift it is for me to realize that all those seemingly useless years were not wasted.
The most degrading and humiliating experiences turn out to be the most powerful tools in
helping others to recover. In knowing the depths of shame and despair, I can reach out
with a loving and compassionate hand, and know that the grace of God is available to me.

As Bill Sees It

Troublemakers Can Be Teachers, p. 28

Few of us are any longer afraid of what any newcomer can do to our
A.A. reputation or effectiveness. Those who slip, those who
panhandle. those who scandalize, those with mental twists, those who
rebel at the program, those who trade on the A.A. reputation--all such
persons seldom harm an A.A. group for long.

Some of these have become our most respected and best loved. Some
have remained to try our patience, sober nevertheless. Others have
drifted away. We have begun to regard the troublesome ones not as
menaces, but rather as our teachers. They oblige us to cultivate
patience, tolerance, and humility. We finally see that they are only
people sicker than the rest of us, that we who condemn them are
Pharisees whose false righteousness does our group the deeper
spiritual damage.

Grapevine, August 1946

Alcoholics Anonymous - Fourth Edition

Chapter 7 - WORKING WITH OTHERS

If there be divorce or separation, there should be no undue haste for the couple to get together. The man should be sure of his recovery. The wife should fully understand his new way of life. If their old relationship is to be resumed it must be on a better basis, since the former did not work. This means a new attitude and spirit all around. Sometimes it is to the best interests of all concerned that a couple remain apart. Obviously, no rule can be laid down. Let the alcoholic continue his program day by day. When the time for living together has come, it will be apparent to both parties.

p. 99

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions

Tradition Seven - "Every A.A. group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions."

Then came the opposition. They pointed out that the Foundation board already knew of a total of half a million dollars set aside for A.A. in the wills of people still alive. Heaven only knew how much there was we hadn't heard about. If outside donations weren't declined, absolutely cut off, then the Foundation would one day become rich. Moreover, at the slightest intimation to the general public from our trustees that we needed money, we could become immensely rich. Compared to this prospect, the ten thousand dollars under consideration wasn't much, but like the alcoholic's first drink it would, if taken, inevitably set up a disastrous chain reaction. Where would that land us? Whoever pays the piper is apt to call the tune, and if the A.A. Foundation obtained money from outside sources, its trustees might be tempted to run things without reference to the wishes of A.A. as a while. Relieved of responsibility, every alcoholic would shrug and say, "Oh, the Foundation is wealthy--why should I bother?" The pressure of that fat treasury would surely tempt the board to invent all kinds of schemes to do good with such funds, and so divert A.A. from its primary purpose. The moment that happened, our Fellowship's confidence would be shaken. The board would be isolated, and would fall under heavy attack of criticism from both A.A. and the public. These were the possibilities, pro and con.

pp. 164-165

Listening feeds the spirit.

The two most dangerous words in a recovering alcoholic's vocabulary are, "I'm different."

Honesty gets us sober, tolerance keeps us sober.

Newcomers are the lifeblood of the program. But our old-timers are the arteries.

The spiritual life is not a theory. We have to live it.

Trust God. Clean house. Help others.

The peaks and valleys of my life have become gentle rolling hills.

Father Leo's Daily Meditation

WISDOM

"Education today, more than
ever before, must see clearly the
dual objectives: education for
living and education for making
a living."
-- James Mason Wood

The spiritual life is a productive life. Not only does it make for a prosperous
life in every sense of the word but it makes for a creative lifestyle. Nothing is
wasted on the spiritual man; he learns from his mistakes and doubts.

For too long I was stunted in my spiritual growth by negative and destructive
thinking. I became dependent upon a sick self and attracted equally sick
people. I used my education and knowledge to keep people out and
remained isolated. I needed to change. I wanted to change. But how? As
with everything else in life I needed to imitate those who were
successful. I needed to be shown how to live a different way. I
needed to discover the power of my spirituality. I found successful people. They
helped me. Today I am able to help myself.

I pray for the knowledge to imitate those who are successful in life.

No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. 1 Corinthians 2:9

Walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. Galatians 5:16

Without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him. Hebrews 11:6

Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness." Genesis 1:26

Daily Inspiration

How precious are the little joys throughout the day. Lord, You have such love for me. I find You everywhere I look.

Trials are part of life. How you respond to them determines the quality of your life. Lord, in Your justice, rescue and deliver me.

Each Day a New Beginning (Women)
Food for Thought
Language of Letting Go
Today's Gift
Touchstones (Men)
Twenty-Four Hours a Day
Walk In Dry Places
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Post New ThreadClosed Thread