Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Lounge > General Forum

Share This Forum!  

General Forum A place to share about everything else.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #2
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Welcome to the group Yankee Gal. Thank you for your shares. I was raised in the church and that didn't stop me from becoming an alcoholic. My first taste of alcohol was when I stole a glass of communion wine when I was 10 years old. I remembered the feeling I had when it hit bottom, and I searched for that feeling all of my life. It ended up that I kept needing more to find the feeling and then when I found it, I couldn't stop there. I had to have more. That is why I say my drug of choice is more. It didn't matter what the substance was. I am an addict. One is too many, a thousand isn't enough.

I never lost my belief. I just thought that God no longer believed in me. The old tapes were playing, and I discounted my life. It was coming to the rooms of recovery that I found spirituality. I didn't find a lot of that in church, at least not that I was aware of until I made the decision to join a church in recovery. They had greeters at the door and they had a gathering after the morning service. They also had a dinner to invite newcomers to meet and greet members.

I can go to church and identify with the people there, few in the church can identify with where I have been and with who I am. It was the spirituality in the rooms that kept me coming back. One God who covered ALL religions. It didn't matter if you didn't believe in God, you could still get sober. I co-sponsored an atheist and the last time I heard of him, he was doing Bible study. He belonged to S.O.S. as well as NA.

The program works when I work for the program.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MajestyJo For Sharing:
Post New ThreadReply