Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Family and Friends of Alcoholics and Addicts
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Family and Friends of Alcoholics and Addicts This forum is for families and friends whose lives have been affected by someone else's drinking and/or drug abuse.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2014, 02:34 AM   #1
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default Stumbles

Quote:
Sunday, February 23, 2014

You are reading from the book Today's Gift

A person's best ally is someone who takes care of herself.
—Susan Clarke

Once there was a little girl who was learning to walk. The trouble was, her mother wouldn't let her fall down. Every time she was about to fall, her mother would rush over and catch her.

It was hard to learn how to walk if she couldn't fall down, but the girl was too little to be able to tell her mother. Her mother thought she was taking care of her when in fact she was keeping her from learning to take care of herself. Letting her fall would have shown trust in the child, trust that she could get up. It would have taught her that she wasn't so fragile that she couldn't recover if she hurt herself.

We are all like this mother once in a while, protecting one another from important lessons in life. This doesn't mean we have to let someone get seriously hurt, but that we allow each other the freedom to learn and grow in individual ways.

What will I be able to learn from my little stumbles today?
Didn't know that I could draw strength from my God. I thought I was suppose to be strong, suck it up, and do it, and do it right. Had no knowingness that I could go to my God to ask for help, it was up to me to find a way. Even with growing up in the church, the message I got was, if you don't do it right you were a sinner and walked in fear that the wrath of God was going to strike me down. Because of the fear, had no concept of going to God and asking for help, until I went to AA, and found that I had to have a spiritual concept, which said I had to accept the directions so I wouldn't stumble. A stubbed toe just meant I was a failure, I was stupid because I didn't look where I was going, and not smart enough to do things right.

The Serenity Prayer served me well and delivered as promised.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply