Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12-15-2013, 02:51 AM   #1
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default Just for Today

Just for today my thoughts will be on my recovery, living and enjoying life without the use of drugs.

Just for today I will have faith in someone in NA who believes in me and wants to help me in my recovery.

Just for today I will have a program. I will try to follow it to the best of my ability.

Just for today through NA I will try to get a better perspective on my life.

Just for today I will be unafraid, my thoughts will be on my new associations, people who are not using and who have found a new way of life. So long as I follow that way, I have nothing to fear.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Just for today I will try to live through this day only & not tackle my whole life problem at once. I can do something for twelve hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

Just for today I will be happy. This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, that “Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.”

Just for today I will adjust myself to what is & not try to adjust everything else to my desires. I will take my “luck” as it comes & fit myself into it.

Just for today I will try to strengthen my mind. I will study; I will learn something useful; I will not be a mental loafer; I will read something that requires effort, thought & concentration.

Just for today I will exercise my soul in three ways: I will do somebody a good turn & not get found out; if anybody knows of it, it will not count; I will do at least two things I don’t want to do–just for exercise. I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not show it.

Just for today I will be agreeable. I will look as good as I can, dress becomingly, talk low, act courteously, criticize not one bit, not find fault with anything & not try to improve or regulate anybody except myself.

Just for today I will have a program. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests: hurry & indecision.

Just for today I will have a quiet half hour all by myself & relax. During this half hour, sometime, I will try to get a better perspective on my life.

Just for today I will be unafraid. I will enjoy that which is beautiful & will believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:06 AM   #3
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Just for today, ...
I will live through the next 12 hours
and not try to tackle all of life's problems at once.
I will improve my mind. I will learn something useful.
I will learn something that requires effort, thought, and concentration.
I will be agreeable. I will look my best,
speak in well-modulated voice, be courteous and considerate.
I will not find fault with friend, relative or colleague.
I will not try to change or improve anyone other than myself.
I will have a program. I might not follow it exactly, but I will have it.
I will save myself from two enemies, hurry and indecision.
I will do a good deed and keep it secret.
If anyone finds out, it won't count.
I will do two things I don't want to do, just for exercise.
I will believe in myself. I will give my best to the world
and feel confident that the world will give its best to me.

Original source unknown to me

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #4
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

I think this is my favourite piece of prose. It is used at meetings in NA and Al-Anon here in Ontario, Canada.

I need to be in the now. Just for today, I choose not to use; not only my drug of choice, but all mind altering substances.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:48 AM   #5
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Daily Recovery Readings — December 15
Just For Today
December 15
The Joy Of Sharing

“There is a spiritual principle of giving away what we have been given in Narcotics Anonymous in order to keep it. By helping others to stay clean, we enjoy the benefit of the spiritual wealth that we have found.”
Basic Text pg. 47

Time and again in our recovery, others have freely shared with us what was freely shared with them. Perhaps we were the recipients of a Twelfth Step call. Maybe someone picked us up and took us to our first meeting. It could be that someone bought us dinner when we were new. All of us have been given time, attention, and love by our fellow members. We may have asked someone, “What can I do to repay you?” And the answer we received was probably a suggestion that we do the same for a newer member when we were able.

As we maintain our clean time and recovery, we find ourselves wanting to do for others the things that someone did for us, and happy that we can. If we heard the message while in a hospital or institution, we can join our local H&I subcommittee. Perhaps we can volunteer on the NA help line. Or we can give of our time, attention, and love to a newcomer we are trying to help.

We’ve been given much in our recovery. One of the greatest of these gifts is the privilege of sharing with others what’s been shared with us, with no expectation of reward. It’s a joy to find we have something that can be of use to others, and that joy is multiplied when we share it. Today we can do so, freely and gratefully.

Just for today: I have been given much in my recovery, and I am deeply grateful for it. I will take joy in being able to share it with others as freely as it was shared with me.
This is why I come to the site and share.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:42 PM   #6
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just For Today
November 20
Finding Fulfillment

“We weren’t oriented toward fulfillment; we focused on the emptiness and worthlessness of it all.”
Basic Text p. 86

There were probably hundreds of times in our active addiction when we wished we could become someone else. We may have wished we could trade places with someone who owned a nice car or had a larger home, a better job, a more attractive mate – anything but what we had. So severe was our despair that we could hardly imagine anyone being in worse shape than ourselves.

In recovery, we may find we are experiencing a different sort of envy. We may continue to compare our insides with others’ outsides and feel as though we still don’t have enough of anything. We may think everyone, from the newest member to the oldest old-timer, sounds better at meetings than we do. We may think that everyone else must be working a better program because they have a better car, a larger home, more money, and so on.

The recovery process experienced through our Twelve Steps will take us from an attitude of envy and low self-esteem to a place of spiritual fulfillment and deep appreciation for what we do have. We find that we would never willingly trade places with another, for what we have discovered within ourselves is priceless.

Just for today: There is much to be grateful for in my life. I will cherish the spiritual fulfillment I have found in recovery.
I remember a woman in early recovery, I would had less than two years clean and sober and she said, "How can you be so happy on so little." Since my marriage ended I had been Mother's Allowance, and after I wasn't able to work because of my addiction, I was on Welfare. My social worker got me on Ontario Disability, which made living a little easier.

I had that envy and low self-esteem. As it says, you have fill the void with spiritual things, and then the ache and pain goes away. Gratitude goes a long way. As my sponsor said to me, "If you got one hand in the hand of a newcomer and the other hand in the Hand of your Higher Power, you don't have any hands left to pick up." It worked for me. That is how I lost three pounds when I quit smoking, instead of gaining. I didn't look to other substances, I went to NA and collected my key tags and worked the program. I not only had to clean myself, but my surroundings and certain friends and my family from my life, until such a time, as I could bring them back in my life, when I could stand firm and learned how to deal with those outside issues.

I went to a self-esteem program, which was suggested by my social worker that got me into the recovery house. I went about 4 times, not sure now, a long time ago, and I kept thinking, "People, get a 12 Step Program." I had been where they were and didn't want to get pulled down by all the negativity.

The same thing happened when I went for anger management. The teacher said, "We value your input and help." I said, "I am not here to do your job." I am not getting what I need here, I will go back to working the 12 Steps.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:23 PM   #7
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just For Today

November 26

Responsibility

“A lot happens in one day, both negative and positive. If we do not take the time to appreciate both, perhaps we will miss something that will help us grow.”

IP No. 8, “Just For Today”

Responsibility, responsibility – the responsibility of life are everywhere. We’re “supposed to” wear seat belts. We’re “supposed to “clean our homes. We’re “supposed to” do certain things for our spouse, our children, the people we sponsor. On top of all of this we’re “supposed to” go to meetings and practice our program as best we can. It’s no wonder that, sometimes, we want to run from all these tasks and escape to some far-off island where we’re not “supposed to” do anything.

At times like these, when we become overwhelmed with our responsibilities, we have forgotten that responsibility need not be burdensome. When we have the desire to run away from our responsibilities we need to slow down, remember why we have chosen them, and pay attention to the gifts they bring. Whether it’s a job we normally find challenging and interesting, or a partner whose personality we are usually excited by, or a child whom we naturally like to play with and care for, there is joy to be found in all the responsibilities of our lives.

Just for today; Each moment is special. I will pay attention, grateful for my responsibilities and the special joys they bring.
For many years, I took on what wasn't mine. As my health issues grew, I had to bow out of a lot of things and accept things as they were. Doing more than what I could physically do, made my a martyr and a victim, and don't want to go there in today.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:51 AM   #8
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
NA Just for Today
December 28
Depression

“We are no longer fighting fear anger guilt, self-pity, or depression.”
Basic Text pg. 26

As addicts, many of us experience depression from time to time. When we feel depressed, we may be tempted to isolate ourselves. However, if we do this, our depression may turn to despair. We can’t afford to let depression lead us back to using.

Instead, we try to go about the routine of our lives. We make meeting attendance and contact with our sponsor top priorities. Sharing with others about our feelings may let us know we aren’t the only ones who have been depressed in recovery. Working with a newcomer can work wonders for our own state of mind. And, most importantly, prayer and meditation can help us tap the power we need to survive depression.

We practice acceptance and remember that feelings like depression will unquestionably pass in time. Rather than struggle with our feelings, we accept them and ask for the strength to walk through them.

Just for today: I accept that my feelings of depression won’t last forever. I will talk openly about my feelings with my sponsor or another person who understands.
Depression is part of grief and a part of healing when we come into recovery. The loss of our drug(s) of choice which have left an big void in our world and we can no longer reach for it to cope with life.

There is clinical depression that needs medication to bring our life into balance, but normal depression doesn't need a pill to take it away if you apply the 12 Steps and apply the program as a way of life. They tried to put me on an anti-depressant for years, but I found that for me, they were mind altering and prevented them from being me. I have been on so many I lost count. I am feeling guilty about taking the Lyrica that my doctor prescribed, and I like sleeping and not having pain, but don't like the number it does on my head and I seem to be getting more and more headaches and a loss of mental thought. I have trouble getting the words out to say what I mean. I am really considering going back to the pain and dealing with it, instead of not feeling mentally capable.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:42 PM   #9
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Just For Today

January 30

Giving It Away

“We must give freely and gratefully that which has been freely and gratefully given to us.”

Basic Text p. 47

In recovery, we receive many gifts. Perhaps one of the greatest of these gifts is the spiritual awakening that begins when we stop using, growing stronger each day we apply the steps in our lives. The new spark of life within is a direct result of our new relationship with a Higher Power, a relationship initiated and developed by living the Twelve Steps. Slowly, as we pursue our program, the radiance of recovery dispels the darkness of our disease.

One of the ways we express our gratitude for the gifts of recovery is to help others find what we’ve found. We can do this in any number of ways: by sharing in meetings, making Twelfth Step calls, accepting a commitment to sponsorship, or volunteering for H&I or phoneline duty. The spiritual life given to us in recovery asks for expression, for ” we can only keep what we have by giving it away.”

Just for today: The gift of recovery grows when I share it. I will find someone with whom to share it.
The 5th Tradition gave me a purpose for living. It is why I come on this site and share because I can't always go out and connect with others.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:30 PM   #10
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just For Today

February 2

Goodwill

“Goodwill is best exemplified in service; proper service is doing the right thing for the right reason.”

—Basic Text p. ix

The spiritual core of our disease is self-centeredness. In dealing with others, the only motive our addiction taught us was selfishness — we wanted what we wanted when we wanted it. Obsession with self was rooted in the very ground of our lives. In recovery, how do we root self-obsession out?

We reverse the effects of our disease by applying a few very simple spiritual principles. To counteract the self-centeredness of our addiction, we learn to apply the principle of goodwill. Rather than seeking to serve only ourselves, we begin serving others. Rather than thinking only about what we can get out of a situation, we learn to think first of the welfare of others. When faced with a moral choice, we learn to stop, recall spiritual principles, and act appropriately.

As we begin “doing the right thing for the right reason;” we can detect a change in ourselves. Where once we were ruled by self-will, now we are guided by our goodwill for others. The chronic self-centeredness of addiction is losing its hold on us. We are learning to “practice these principles in all our affairs”; we are living in our recovery, not in our disease.

Just for today: Wherever I am, whatever I do, I will seek to serve others, not just myself. When faced with a dilemma, I will try to do the right thing for the right reason.
I went to an AA meeting at noon today to see if a friend was alive or dead. I hadn't seen him for a long time. He was a part of the group I opened Freedom of Recovery, which was an open group. It ended up he was sick and not there, but it was okay, because I needed the meeting for myself.

As I shared with a lady this morning, I went to AA for my denial and I went to NA for identification. I knew I was an addict, my drug of choice was more.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:58 PM   #11
nina

Thanks for your thoughts on Today. I am not a musician but have composed a Today ditty that is meant to go to a wrap beat. Anyway it helps me to recall the message and may help someone else.
Hey! Hey! Just for today
You can be happy the AA (12 step...) way.
Adjust to what is-avoid a tizz
Mind what you think, never a drink.
Read, learn and ponder as you go yonder.
Remember your soul-an ongoing goal,
Do good discretely
Do two tasks meekly
Learn to detach-life isn't a match.
Being agreeable becomes achievable,
Make your own program
Do it today
You can be happy the AA way.
Enjoy some quiet-it's part of the diet
Dare never fear, God's always near.
Let it go, out you go.
Step up to the plate, give help to a mate
Forget the fight, look to the light.

Happily today I am sober and have had time to work with Meditations for the Twelve Steps- A Spiritual Journey and the associated workbook and references in the Life Recovery Bible. I have found these very helpful.
Yours in recovery
Nina
nina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nina For Sharing:
Old 02-03-2016, 06:00 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

I really like that nina. Thanks for sharing it with us.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 02-03-2016, 05:59 PM   #13
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Hope you don't mind me sharing this. I think it is awesome.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:53 AM   #14
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just For Today

February 6

I Can’t – We Can

“We had convinced ourselves that we could make it alone and proceeded to live life on that basis. The results were disastrous and, in the end, each of us had to admit that self-sufficiency was a lie”
Basic Text p. 59

“I can’t, but we can.” This simple but profound truth applies initially to our first need as NA members: Together, we can stay clean, but when we isolate ourselves, we’re in bad company. To recover, we need the support of other addicts.

Self-sufficiency impedes more than just our ability to stay clean. With or without drugs, living on self-will inevitably leads to disaster. We depend on other people for everything from goods and services to love and companionship, yet self-will puts us in constant conflict with those very people. To live a fulfilling life, we need harmony with others.

Other addicts and others in our communities are not the only ones we depend on. Power is not a human attribute, yet we need power to live. We find it in a Power greater than ourselves which provides the guidance and strength we lack on our own. When we pretend to be self-sufficient, we isolate ourselves from the one source of power sufficient to effectively guide us through life: our Higher Power.

Self-sufficiency doesn’t work. We need other addicts; we need other people; and, to live fully, we need a Power greater than our own.

Just for today: I will seek the support of other recovering addicts, harmony with others in my community, and the care of my Higher Power. I can’t, but we can.
Some one has to go wee, wee all the way home!

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #15
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just For Today
February 21
Self-Pity Or Recovery – It’s Our Choice

“Self-pity is one of the most destructive of defects; it will drain us of all positive energy.”
Basic Text, p. 77

In active addiction, many of us used self-pity as a survival mechanism. We didn’t believe there was an alternative to living in our disease&151or perhaps we didn’t want to believe. As long as we could feel sorry for ourselves and blame someone else for our troubles, we didn’t have to accept the consequences of our actions; believing ourselves powerless to change, we didn’t have to accept the need for change. Using this “survival mechanism” kept us from entering recovery and led us closer, day by day, to self-destruction. Self-pity is a tool of our disease; we need to stop using it and learn instead to use the new tools we find in the NA program.

We have come to believe that effective help is available for us; when we seek that help, finding it in the NA program, self-pity is displaced by gratitude. Many tools are at our disposal: the Twelve Steps, the support of our sponsor, the fellowship of other recovering addicts, and the care of our Higher Power. The availability of all these tools is more than enough reason to be grateful. We no longer live in isolation, without hope; we have certain help at hand for anything we may face. The surest way to become grateful is to take advantage of the help available to us in the NA program and to experience the improvement the program will bring in our lives.

Just for today: I will be grateful for the hope NA has given me. I will cultivate my recovery and stop cultivating self-pity.
Loved the title of this. It is my choice. Do I choose to act out in my dis-ease or do I choose recovery.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Post New ThreadReply