Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Spiritual Recovery

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default Al-Anon and the Butterfly

Quote:
Al-Anon and the Butterfly

by Lin T.

Each time you see a fuzzy, little caterpillar, try to remember… it will one day be transformed into a beautiful butterfly? It's difficult to imagine-an ugly, crawling, perhaps even repulsive creature will one day become a bright, beautiful, winged butterfly!

Before this miraculous transformation takes place, the little caterpillar withdraws into its own world. It finds a place it can be alone. Then it painfully struggles to make a cocoon, which it wraps tightly around itself. During this cocoon stage, it is sealed off from the rest of the world. It remains in this dark place for days.

Gradually, a tiny crack appears in the covering and as the crack widens, a new creature emerges. This new creature is very different from its former self. It is a beautiful; sight indeed! The new butterfly stays near the cocoon for a while-a safe, familiar home. Soon its tiny, wet wings begin to dry in the sunshine. It slowly begins to flutter its
wings and it flies from bloom to bloom. With every stop it makes at a flower, it gains strength. In turn, each flower offers the butterfly some pollen. As the butterfly visits each succeeding flower, it leaves behind some of the valuable pollen. This is how the flowers are able to form seeds and be reborn.

When most of us come to Al-Anon, we are similar to the butterfly. There was a time when we, too, were unlovely creatures. Our spirits could merely crawl..never soar. As the disease of Alcoholism progressed, out ability to cope with anything grew weaker and weaker. We, too, built a cocoon around ourselves. We withdrew from the world and hid. Time passed. Then we heard about Al-Anon and hope caused a tiny crack to begin in our outer shell. After several meetings, the crack opened and we emerged. We sat in the light and absorbed the warmth, friendship, and understanding of the group-just as the butterfly absorbed the sunshine. In time, we began to carry to others the gifts we'd received. Each time we help others, we strengthen ourselves.

This is why you often see Al-Anon members wearing a butterfly pin or tie tack. The butterfly is one Al-Anon symbol. Not only is it a spiritual symbol, but also it is a symbol of beauty and transformation . We can look at a butterfly and see God. The butterfly is sometimes described as the "kiss of God".

A butterfly makes a wonderful gift for the person who introduced you to Al-Anon. It's also appropriate to give to a person you introduce to Al-Anon; to your sponsor or to each person you sponsor. It's a symbol of hope, love, change, and beauty. As we grow and change in Al-Anon, we are transformed into beautiful butterflies!

This was written on another site and I was given permission to post it on my sites. She rewrote the story from her perspective as a member of Al-Anon.

Thought this was applicable to all fellowships.

This is an awesome story. The butterfly has always appeared when I have had a major healing and transformation in my life. Often it is a live monarch, but not always. The other day I put a picture on my computer of a heart and a monarch, and a lot of the pain I had been suffering, was gone when I got up.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MajestyJo For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply