Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 01-01-2015, 02:50 AM   #1
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default Food For Thought - OA for January 2015

Thursday, January 1, 2015

You are reading from the book Food for Thought

Good News

There is good news for those of us who overeat compulsively. We do not have to be trapped by our appetites. We do not have to carry a load of unnecessary fat. We can have a new life.

Others have become free and are standing by, ready to show us the way. The more OA meetings we attend, the more we learn. The more phone calls we make, the more encouragement and support we are given in our fight to break old, self destructive patterns of thinking and acting. The more we rely on the Power greater than ourselves, the stronger we become.

Learning to live a new life requires time and patience. The good news is that change is possible. Others have done it. So can you.

Lord, make me willing to change.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2015, 09:59 AM   #2
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Friday, January 2, 2015

Help!

When we hit bottom and are ready to swallow our pride, help is available. When we admit that by ourselves we are powerless, a Higher Power takes over. Most of us have tried for years to control what we eat by ourselves. Often it seems that the harder we try, the more miserably we fail. We despair. When we are truly desperate and ask for help, OA can help us.

We have proven that we cannot solve our problem alone. A diet is not enough. We need a program that fills our emotional and spiritual needs as well as our physical ones.

Step by step and day by day we can learn to live without overeating. We will gradually become convinced that no amount of physical food will ever satisfy our emotional and spiritual hunger. The Higher Power, which infuses each OA GROUP, becomes our lifesaver and our nourishment.

God, save me from myself.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:31 AM   #3
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Responding

Many of us find it difficult to accept the OA program at the beginning. Many of us cannot believe or are afraid to believe the good news at first. All we need to start is the desire to stop eating compulsively.

If we will be open to the program, we will find that it gradually unfolds. What we do not understand at the beginning becomes clear as we become ready to accept it. We shall never achieve perfection, but we can make progress every day.

When we are willing to grow and to change, God can work His miracles. OA is filled with members whose stories attest to the Power that has changed their lives.

I open myself to Your power, Lord.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:56 PM   #4
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sunday, January 4, 2015

Three Meals a Day

For most of us, abstinence from compulsive overeating means three measured meals a day with nothing in between. Before we joined OA we often ate one enormous meal, all day long. Through this program, we find the discipline to eat according to our needs rather than our self-destructive cravings.

Unless a doctor has told us differently, we do not need more than three meals a day. As we practice this pattern, we retrain our overgrown appetites and learn to function in the real world. We can eat with our families instead of secretly snacking and bingeing.

We plan our three meals for the day, write them down, and report them to our food sponsor. Then, instead of nibbling here and there and thinking about food all day, we can forget about eating except when it is time for a planned, measured meal. As we acquire disciplined eating habits, we find that other areas of our lives become more ordered and productive. Freed from the bondage of self-will and impulse, we are guided by the sure hand of our Higher Power.

I am grateful for the order and sanity OA has brought into my life.
Before recovery and until I got a spiritual awakening in recovery, I only ate two meals a day. I didn't realize that I was putting on weight and doing harm to my body and didn't really care about doing the breakfast thing, I didn't want to face food early in the morning. I am still not a big breakfast person, but I know it isn't something that I can skip over and I need that energy to start my day. When I found out that I had Type 2 Diabetes, I was told that I was suppose to eat 5 small meals a day. This seemed impossible. I had trouble eating the 3. But then, I found that like everything else, I had to turn the thinking over to my Higher power, because those smalls became bigger and bigger, and again it was about control. Whether it is 3 or 5, it is about putting my life into my God's Care.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thursday, January 1, 2015

Good News

There is good news for those of us who overeat compulsively. We do not have to be trapped by our appetites. We do not have to carry a load of unnecessary fat. We can have a new life.

Others have become free and are standing by, ready to show us the way. The more OA meetings we attend, the more we learn. The more phone calls we make, the more encouragement and support we are given in our fight to break old, self destructive patterns of thinking and acting. The more we rely on the Power greater than ourselves, the stronger we become.

Learning to live a new life requires time and patience. The good news is that change is possible. Others have done it. So can you.

Lord, make me willing to change.
When I read this, just now I thought, have I really hit bottom. I spent so many years living on the edge. I did this in regard to my alcohol and my other addiction, but never identified living on the edge when it came to my eating disorder. Yet when I think of it, it is true, I do tend to push the envelope, especially when it is food I know I am not suppose to eat. This is especially true when it comes to chocolate. I keep saying, I can have chocolate. Yet, I can have DARK chocolate. I can have chocolate, but I can have a piece of chocolate, not the whole box. When my head starts thinking, one or two, I am at trouble with the or. That is the trapdoor, when I start thinking more.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #6
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Monday, January 5, 2015

Less Food, More Energy

When we have used excess food as a crutch for years, we think we need it to "keep up our energy." We have become especially dependent on the refined carbohydrates, sugar and flour, to give us a quick pickup when we are tired.

The truth of the matter is that the pickup, that sharp rise in blood sugar we got when we ate refined sugar and flour, was soon followed by an even sharper letdown. We ended up more tired than when we began! Excess food of any kind makes us groggy and lethargic.

When we eliminate the wrong kind of food and eat only the amount, which our bodies need for optimum functioning, we are amazed at the supply of energy we suddenly have. Jobs, which we have put off doing for years, begin to get done. We feel good. Instead of spending unnecessary time for extra eating and digesting, we have that time to use in productive, enjoyable activity.

Try it and see.

Lord, strengthen my body to serve You.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #7
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Withdrawal

Eliminating all refined sugar and flour may seem difficult, if not impossible at the beginning. Making the decision to avoid these foods, which trigger the craving for more and more, is what opens the door to freedom - freedom from the craving and freedom from fat.

We do not become free immediately. Some of us experience withdrawal discomfort, which is sometimes physical, sometimes psychological, and sometimes both. It is important to remember that the discomfort will pass, the craving will pass, and that if we remain abstinent, we will eventually feel much better. So much better that our bodies and our lives will seem new.

In order to walk into the world of freedom, we must go through the door of abstinence. We need not fear the pains of withdrawal. Growth is often painful. Many have gone before us and report that the eventual freedom is well worth the temporary suffering. Our Higher Power will give us the strength to endure and will never push us farther than we can go. When we are tempted to give in, a prayer and a phone call can save us.

Lead us into freedom, we pray.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Post New ThreadReply