Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Even More Recovery Readings and Meditations - March

March 1

Step by Step

Today, enough! No more self-defeatism from failing to attain perfection when perfection is impossible. No more self-abuse by drinking myself into oblivion every night, awakening to a shot of whisky to calm the shakes. No more dodging responsibilities to myself, other people and my employer. No more watching the clock for the 10 a.m. mid-morning hit from the bottom hidden in my car in the employee parking lot, and no more counting minutes to race home and again start drinking myself into oblivion. Enough! No more! Recovery begins today. And our common journey continues. Step by step. – Chris M.

~ EASY DOES IT ~ (A Book of Daily 12 Step Meditations) ~

BEST EFFORTS

If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain.

~ Emily Dickinson ~

Success can’t be measured by the numbers of those who have heard a message of hope for a better life. We constantly remind ourselves of this whenever a single cry for help arses. One success in a 12 Step Group more than makes up for any number of failures.

We can never feel discouraged by delays in success. We keep giving the message since we know that God’s delay does not mean God’s denial.

When success comes we are reminded not to let pride carry us away. We have learned in recovery to keep our winnings in proper perspective.

I am not in the results business. My main task is to make my best effort. Results are added benefits.

~ WISDOM TO KNOW ~ (More Daily Meditations For Men) ~

Every man I meet is in some way my superior.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

When we are in a competitive frame of mind, we compare ourselves to those around us. We may conclude that we are better in some ways and worse in other ways. Perhaps the smallest part of our personality takes a dark pleasure in looking down on others. Some of us feel inferior to almost everyone.

The true measure of a man has many dimensions. Is he physically strong, mentally determined, generous, a good father, a good partner, courageous, honest, wise, warm-hearted, responsible for himself, intelligent, musically talented, athletically gifted, a good communicator? Good qualities are countless. No one has all of them—and sometimes too much of a good thing is a bad thing. When we reach the place where we accept ourselves and make peace with who we are, we can comfortably accept everyone else, knowing that their strengths and weaknesses add up in different ways, and everyone deserves basic human respect.

Today I will practice respect for everyone I meet.

~ A WOMAN’S SPIRIT ~ (More Meditations For Women) ~

Recovery is an intensely spiritual process that asks us to grow in our understanding of God.

~ Melody Beattie ~

God isn’t defined for us in any Twelve Step program. We have the freedom to create any image that pleases us. The shaming God of our youth can be gone. Instead we can call upon a Higher Power for guidance in handling the changing circumstances of our lives. Listening to other women in our group share their beliefs about God makes us aware of how valuable the guidance will be.

Never must we handle anything alone. Never. Understanding this influences how we perceive every situation in our lives. Circumstances that used to baffle or overwhelm us do so no longer. Snarled relationships untangle, and God’s presence Is evident everywhere. The more we trust in the Presence, the more conscious we are of it. The more we believe, the better our journey.

Believing in God’s presence today will make every experience rich with meaning. I am not alone, now or ever. 

~ TODAY I WILL DO ONE THING ~ (Daily Readings for Awareness and Hope) ~

I feel lighter and stronger

When I was still using – and even after several months of abstinence – it seemed that much in my life was a struggle. Some days it took all I had to get through the day (or the hour). I didn’t think I could do it.

But I held on (I guess I had faith). And these days I find myself feeling lighter. The obsession has truly been lifted and my emotional problems are manageable. I feel less vulnerable. I feel stronger in my program. I do not feel the fear as before. These days I feel more alive than I can scarcely remember. I sense that I can do what a need to do for my recovery. Slowly, the Promises that follow Step Nine are coming true.

Today I will thank my higher power for my progress and pray for deeper acceptance of my life.

~ BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT ~ (Inspiration and Support for Recovery) ~

As we are enveloped with hurt, so are we also nourished with the energy of new growth.

~ Mary Summers ~

In the writings of St. John of the Cross, the “dark night” is a time of disorientation and confusion. But it is also a time of deep healing. Though we struggle in darkness, it is at this time that our Higher Power is working the hardest to guide us through to renewed health and wholeness. It has been proven time and time again that new possibilities are on the horizon even as we plow through times of darkest despair and deepest sadness.

Looking out, inward, and through our pain, we glimpse that new light of hope. A willingness to believe there is a light at the end of the tunnel can make even our most difficult days bearable and filled with growth. Before they can soar, our spirits must take the small steps so necessary for change. The glimpses of hope we occasionally see are those small steps.

Today give me hope. Let me feel all my feelings in each small step I take.

~ MORNING LIGHT ~ (Meditations to Begin Your Day) ~

Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

~ Step Three ~

A prayer is a humble and heartfelt communication with a power greater than yourself. A prayer can admit a weak-ness, communicate a need, or convey praise and gratitude. Prayers can unburden your heart, give you strength and courage, and deepen your faith and trust in a Higher Power. Use the following prayer as you work on your understanding and acceptance of Step Three.

Step Three Prayer

Higher Power, for so long you have been unknown to me. I have kept myself separate from you. Now I understand that I have never been alone. Even in times of great trouble and darkness, you have always been with me. Today I accept that thy will—and not my will—will guide me. I trust that you will provide me with direction, illuminate my path, and lessen my burdens so that I may do your will.

With a bowed head and an open heart, I ask that you show me how to live. I ask that you free me from the bondage of my past. I ask that you provide me with guidance in all of my actions. Higher Power, I accept you. I trust in you. I turn over my life to you.

~ NIGHT LIGHT ~ (A Book Of Nighttime Meditations) ~

There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds.

~ Gilbert Keith Chesterton ~

When we were children and were asked, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” our answers were usually delivered quickly. There was no reason for us to believe our dreams couldn’t come true, for we hadn’t yet learned fear, doubt, and insecurity.

As we grew older, we began to lose our dreams. We either became overly practical or highly irresponsible. Our fantasies were unable to fly because they were weighted down by doubts. We became negative and cynical. How could we possibly dream of castles in the clouds? Our highly practical side said clouds couldn’t hold castles; our irresponsible nature said someone else would have to build them.

We are learning many things are possible now, if we will only believe. We are learning to live without constant fear, insecurity, or hopelessness. We are slowly building health and happiness. Right now, we are also building the foundations to our castles in the clouds. Through time and belief in ourselves, we will be able to build anything we want.

I can be whoever I want to be; dream whatever I want to dream.

~ DAY BY DAY ~ (Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts) ~

Becoming vulnerable

When we choose not to escape through that first drink, fix, or pill, we are refusing to choose death. We are trusting that life can be interesting, life can be worthwhile, life can be more than it ever was before. Had we no hope of this, we never would have stopped using.

In one way we have been losers. To finally give life an honest try is to become vulnerable. (Is there really a Higher Power who looks out for me?)

And while we know the program works, we aren’t sure if we are willing to risk working it. But it is only through taking this risk, and becoming vulnerable, that our life will ever “open up.”

Do I dare become vulnerable?

Higher Power, grant me the courage to give life an honest try.

I will risk being vulnerable today by

God help me to stay clean and sober today!

~ IF YOU WANT WHAT WE HAVE ~ (Sponsorship Meditations) ~

God is a circle whose circumference is nowhere and whose center is everywhere.

~ NICOLAUS CUSANUS ~

Newcomer

How can I believe that a Power greater than myself can restore me to sanity? I used to pray a lot, but it didn’t work. Look what happened to me!

Sponsor

Yes, it’s an excellent idea to look at what did happen to us. There was a progression of events, inner or outer, that led to greater and greater discomfort. At last, living in active addiction became intolerable. Something within us wanted to surrender—and now, however long it took us, we are in recovery. Something in us must have wanted to choose life, not death.

In recovery, we can embrace and nurture the part of ourselves that is aligned with Spirit. The sanity we’re rediscovering in ourselves includes acceptance of our human limitations, letting go of results we can’t control. We can let go of praying for things to happen exactly as we want, on our timetable. We can begin to be open to the miracles all around us.

My life was given to me as a gift, and now I’ve been given that gift all over again. I have a choice of what to do with it. Should I blame my Higher Power for the fact that it took me so long to get here? Or should I greet the Spirit within me and say, “Welcome! I’ve been waiting. I’m glad you finally came home.”

Whatever happens today offers me opportunities to deepen my relationship with my soul.

~ THE EYE OPENER ~

The door of living that opened upon our advent into AA is also able to close upon those years of daily dying that are behind us. That door opened into a long hall that stretched out to a vanishing point; our eye cold not perceive its end. We should not be content to just pass through this portal and close the door upon our past, but we should move on, for our happiness is up that hall, and we must constantly advance to attain our happy goal.

~ WALK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG BOOK ~ (Official & Unofficial Sloganeering From the 12 Step Programs) ~

1) If you make yourself available, you’ll get what you need when you need it.

2) When you’re grateful for what you have, you don’t need much.

3) GOD: Group Of Drunks.

~ The 12 STEP PRAYER BOOK ~ (A Collection of Favorite 12 Step Prayers and Inspirational Readings) ~

No Other

I have no other helper than You,
no other father,
no other redeemer,
no other support.
I pray to You.
Only You can help me.
My present misery is too great.
Despair grips me, and I am at my wits’ end.
I am sunk in the depths, and I cannot pull myself up or out.
If it is Your will, help me out of this misery.
Let me know that You are stronger than all misery and all enemies.
O Lord, if I come through this, please let the experience contribute to my and my brothers’ blessings.
You will not forsake me; this I know.

~ AROUND THE YEAR WITH EMMET FOX ~ (A Book of Daily Readings) ~

HOLY COWS!

Most people have certain sections of their lives where, for various reasons (mostly unknown to themselves), they do not with to make any change. These places are set aside and surrounded with an aura of spurious sanctity like the sacred cows of the East, which are considered too holy to be touched. But if you really mean business about regenerating your soul and body, there must positively be no sacred cows in your life.

Nothing is truly sacred but your own indwelling Christ and the process of His awakening.

Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light (Ephesians 5:15).

~ A DEEP BREATH OF LIFE ~ (365 Daily Inspirations for Heart-Centered Living) ~

Prototype, Not Exception

Let not the world see fear and sad distrust govern the motion of a kingly eye.

~ William Shakespeare ~

On my birthday, I made up my mind to have a wonderful day. I made plans to be with friends, scheduled a massage, and put worldly matters aside. Then an emergency repair forced me to curtail some of my celebration appointments. As I stood in the rain with the repairman, my mind began to grumble. Then I decided, “No, I will not allow this to ruin my day,” and I kept my attitude high. The repair was handled, and I went on with my celebration. At the end of the day, I felt wonderful, and the interruption actually added to my joy, for I gained strength in choosing peace. I remember the love, not the disappointment.

The next morning, I began to feel sad that my day of joy had passed. Then I realized that I have the power to make every day a celebration. Why would a birthday, weekend, or vacation be an exception to life? Happiness is the way of life, and any other kind of day is the exception.

During World War I, the French and German armies held a cease-fire on Christmas. Soldiers from both armies went into local towns, ate dinner, drank wine, and sang together in the same taverns. The next day, they went back to killing each other. It seems to me that if they could agree to not fight for one day, they could agree to not fight for another, and another, and another, and sooner or later they would not fight at all.

Some theologians teach that Jesus was an exception to life—that he was God’s only begotten son. But Jesus was not an only child. He had many brothers and sisters, including you and me. We, too, are the sons and daughters of God, holy offspring of a perfect divinity. Jesus was our elder brother who found his way home and showed us the path. He is not a deity to be worshiped, but a model to be emulated and equaled. He said, “Even greater things than I shall you do.” He would not have uttered those words if we were lesser or different than he.

The love and the good and the beauty is the truth; anything else is the exception.

Help me to live my potential of love every day.

I am a child of God. I deserve to live in celebration.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply