Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Daily Spiritual Meditations Post spiritual meditations here to read and feel free to share.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 09-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Daily Reprieve - October

October 1

A BEGGAR

"Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying." Romans 12:12

"We have prayed, we have begged, we have been patient." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 105

For what it's worth: Prayer and patience did not live in the same neighborhood with my alcoholism. Actually, patient prayer became part of my life only after many years of sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous. I had to live the Twelve Steps daily to achieve a spiritual awakening, opening my soul to the effectiveness of praying, praying, and praying. I cannot count the times I started to believe God was not listening, but the people and the principles of Alcoholics Anonymous encouraged me to be patient and keep praying, even begging, if needed. These days I can easily beg because every time I practice this spiritual concept, it works. Every single issue prayed about has not only improved, it has turned out to be a blessing to me and others.

God bless you.
Joe W.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 2

A LITTLE, LOST LAMB

"When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer." Psalm 94:19

"I was to sit quietly when in doubt, asking only for direction and strength to meet my problems as He would have me." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 13

For what it's worth: When doubtful, I drank. What was an alcoholic to do? I had no options until I was sober in Alcoholics Anonymous. Even then, because of my prideful resistance, I was slow to learn and reluctant to trust. The key was coming to believe a Good Shepherd loved this little, lost lamb. He would guide me along what appeared to me to be a dark trail. I had never been there before. I could not see what was ahead, and I feared where I might be headed. I had to give up control and take the next step into the dark even though I was sheepish. Every time I did, it was the right step in the right direction at the right time. My Good Shepherd was always and will always be there for His little, lost lamb.

God bless you.
Joe W.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 10-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 3

HONOR AND RESPONSIBILITY

“This the sponsor promptly proves by talking freely and easily, and without exhibitionism, about his own defects, past and present.” 12&12 p.46

“Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise.” Proverbs 19:20

For what it's worth: From my first day in Alcoholics Anonymous, I was challenged to do my best to stay sober. But, there was nothing left in me. Alcoholism had crushed it all. I had to find strength somewhere else. I was blessed to find a wise sponsor. He shared his experience, strength, and hope with me, and I learned from him how to meet the challenge of sobriety and began a spiritual journey that would some day result in being asked to be a sponsor. That is an honor and an awesome responsibility that brings both smiles and tears. Some you work with will provide laughs and joy; others will break your heart.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 4

THE GIFT OF LOVE

"It was impossible to say we had no capacity for faith, or love, or worship." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 54

"Praise the Lord, for he has shown me his unfailing love." Psalm 31:21

For what it's worth: Part of my despair during the last years of my drinking was certainty that God has destined me to live without love. I vividly remember that miserable, lonely existence. I pray to the One who rescued me I never have to go back there again. During my sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous, God has proven “His unfailing love” and given me the capacity to love and be loved. He has placed people in my life who have my picture beside their bed or in their home; and theirs mine. For this once lonely, unloving, and unlovable drunk, this is a treasure I never expected to find.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 5

JUDGING OTHERS

"The inventory was ours, not the other man's." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 67

"Hypocrite! First get rid of the log from your own eye; then perhaps you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend's eye." Luke 6:42

For what it's worth: Judging others was second nature to me for years, and my drinking made it vicious. I carried this evil practice into recovery with me, but Alcoholics Anonymous soon taught me of its dangers. The Fourth Step introduced me to my fear involved in judging others, and helped me realize what a hypocrite I am. A quick glance at my past proves I am no one to judge others. My sponsor taught me how to study others to know who to lean on when I am weak, but without judgment. Even after years of practice, I can still mess this up, so I am grateful to have Step Ten and a patient Heavenly Father.

God bless you.
Joe W.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 10-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 6

A WINNER OVER LOSS

"Be merciful to me, O LORD, for I am in distress; my eyes grow weak with sorrow, my soul and my body with grief." Psalm 31:9

"He will also report that out of every season of grief or suffering, when the hand of God seemed heavy or even unjust, new lessons for living were learned, new resources of courage were uncovered, and that finally, inescapably, the conviction came that God does 'move in a mysterious way His wonders to perform.'" The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 105

For what it's worth: For years, I had no way of dealing with grief other than drinking for oblivion. Thanks to God's mercy, during sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous, I have dealt with personal losses without alcohol, and I have seen how God uses suffering to provide spiritual growth. However, during the agony, trusting is difficult, and I easily question when the courage and conviction will return. It is then I must go to my Heavenly Father, humbly and honestly talk with him about how I feel, and beg His help. In His time, not mine, again He will make me a winner over loss.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 7

"GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY"

"To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life." Romans 2:7

"If you persist, remarkable things will happen." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 100

For what it's worth: During my drinking years, all manner of remarkable deterioration occurred as I persistently marched to hell. The grace of God saved me from the inevitable, granting me sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous, where I learned the value of persistence. When I did not drink, no matter how severe the suffering, remarkable things did happen. I grew up emotionally and spiritually, learning to let go and let God to survive any agony, minute by minute, and day by day. After all, what was a day of pain compared to the "glory, honor and immortality" of eternal life with my Heavenly Father!

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 8

A STRONG FOUNDATION

We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who’ve been called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Our admissions of personal powerlessness finally turn out to be firm bedrock upon which happy and purposeful lives may be built. Twelve and Twelve, page 21

For what it's worth: Fear of God’s scorn and prideful denial of powerlessness were my ticket, and alcoholism was the name of the train speeding me to hell. Only God could have switched the track, changing my destination to Alcoholics Anonymous. The good people there welcomed me without judgment, gently carried me off that train, and showed me how to stay off by being sober one day at a time. They showed me how to love and be loved. Even more, they brought me to know God is love. Then I could see God’s work in my past for his own purpose: to get me in Alcoholics Anonymous. He knew the people and principles of A. A. would bring me to Him and build me a strong foundation for a “happy and purposeful life.”

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 9

FINDING PEACE IN HIS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE

“Give thanks to the God of gods. His love endures forever.” Psalm 136:2

“His own character may still be gravely defective, but he somehow knows that God has enabled him to make a mighty beginning, and he senses that he stands at the edge of new mysteries, joys, and experiences of which he had never even dreamed.” Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, page 109

For what it's worth: Alcoholism poured a deep foundation for my character defects, and years of solid sobriety and daily diligent practice of the principles of Alcoholics Anonymous has not yet shattered the bedrock. However, thanks to the grace of God, progress has been accomplished. Still, any time I expect sainthood, I am fooling myself, setting myself up for self-pity, and entering a relapse mode. This demands additional Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, focus on the Twelve Steps, talking with my sponsor and my Heavenly Father. I find peace as soon as He reminds me He dearly loves me just as I am.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 10

MY BEST DECISION

"Priests and prophets stagger from beer and are befuddled with wine; they reel from beer, they stagger when seeing visions, they stumble when rendering decisions." Isaiah 28:7

"In fact, the effectiveness of the whole A.A. program will rest upon how well and earnestly we have tried to come to 'a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.'" Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 34

For what it's worth: No decent decision was ever made when I was drinking. It may have seemed right at the time, but alcohol always deceived me. Only after being free from alcohol in Alcoholics Anonymous was I able to make healthy decisions. Fortunately for me, guidance was available by listening to members share and watching the example of their lives. This was the action that brought me to the best decision of my life, surrendering my will and my life to my Heavenly Father. Now, I make that same decision every day.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 11

HIS DRUNK

“For we are now on a different basis; the basis of trusting and relying upon God.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 68

“But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, ‘You are my God.’" Psalm 31:14

For what it's worth: It is miraculous that this once powerless drunk has been through so many trying times without even considering the drink. Indeed, miraculous - the grace of a loving Heavenly Father. He protected me most recently from two life-threatening infectious diseases. One resulted in a lower leg amputation that will require extensive rehabilitation. But just watch; He will have me recovering in no time. It has to be, because He is my God and I am His once worthless drunk, and He has more for me to do … walking.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 12

LITTLE TIME - ETERNAL REWARDS

"The one who blesses others is abundantly blessed; those who help others are helped." Proverbs 11:25 (The Message)

"Service, gladly rendered, obligations squarely met, troubles well accepted or solved with God's help, the knowledge that at home or in the world outside we are partners in a common effort, the well-understood fact that in God's sight all human beings are important, the proof that love freely given surely brings a full return, the certainty that we are no longer isolated and alone in self-constructed prisons, the surety that we need no longer be square pegs in round holes but can fit and belong in God's scheme of things -- these are the permanent and legitimate satisfactions of right living for which no amount of pomp and circumstance, no heap of material possessions, could possibly be substitutes." Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p.124

For what it's worth: My alcoholic mind told me there were no blessings for me, so why should I be concerned about blessings for others. This sick attitude followed me into Alcoholics Anonymous where I learned that alcoholism is a disease of self absorbsion, and it would kill me unless I learned to serve others. Fortunately, many were ready to lead the way into a new way of thinking and behaving. Working with others for others has become my best tool for staying sober. It works when nothing else will. It takes little time and has eternal rewards.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 13

PLENTY OF WORK TO DO

“Being all powerful, He provided what we needed, if we kept close to Him and performed His work well.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 63

“My food is doing the will of Him who sent me and finishing the work He has given me.” John 4:34

For what it's worth: Alcoholism was work, selfish work, satisfying my need for the drink. Sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous taught me how to take the selfish out of work. Actually, my experience indicates my personal satisfaction in sobriety is directly proportional to what I do for others. Serving others keeps the motor running smoothly, and whenever I need a jump start, reaching out to someone always works. It always brings me closer to my Heavenly Father. So, with His grace, I hope to continue His work. There is plenty left to do.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 14

THE RIGHT MOTIVE

"You should not work for the food which does not last but for the food which lasts on into eternal life." John 6:27

"Our thought-life will be placed on a much higher plane when our thinking is cleared of wrong motives." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 86

For what it's worth: Although I would not admit it then, Alcoholism demanded I work to drink. All my motives were controlled by my disease. I did not have the discipline necessary to escape such powerlessness, so I needed long-term daily support and supervision from a Higher Power. I was blessed to find both in Alcoholics Anonymous. With the grace of God and the spiritual power of the Twelve Steps, I became able to check and even change my motives to stay sober and work toward eternal peace. I maintain this God-given gift only by following the advice in the Eleventh Step, daily seeking my Heavenly Father's direction of my thoughts and motives.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Post New ThreadReply