Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > 12 Steps and 12 Traditions

Share This Forum!  

12 Steps and 12 Traditions Information and Discussions related to the 12 Steps and The 12 Traditions

Post New ThreadReply

Old 09-19-2014, 01:49 AM   #16
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may try to think God's thoughts after Him. I pray that my thoughts may be guided by His thoughts.

From Twenty-Four Hours a Day
Loved this reading, but the phrase that followed the title I posted gave me new enlightenment and a new way of looking at things.

"Think God Thoughts after Him!" If I turn my will and my life over to God, after making the decision to look for Him in Step Two, then follow it up with Step Three by finding the quiet and listen in the stillness to pray and listen for His answers, then what comes through is either God Thoughts if I have put my thoughts into His care.

Sometimes my thoughts can get in the way so it is important to quiet them if not eliminate them before I start. Quiet the chatter, and then His Love and Direction can come through.

I have always done that in recovery, but for some reason this put a new perspective on it for me.

This reminds me of the banners, pins, etc, "What would Jesus do?"

He walked the talk and in my first year in recovery, I would take my Bible and only used the Books of the New Testament from Acts to Revelation, Psalms and Proverbs for my daily meditation.

Later I was to realize, I was limiting God. I not only had a narrow outlook on religion, and an anger against the church, that I had to expand my vision and I went on a spiritual journey that broadened my understanding of my Higher Power.

When I think God thoughts, I have a good day! God is good. Good is God!

This was posted on another site in 2010. Still good in today. This is why they call it a spiritual program.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #17
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

For change and revival of your spirit, change around your meetings. Go to some you haven't been to or ones who haven't been to for a while. Especially, go to the ones that you decided in early recovery that you didn't like. Rotate your movie night or your golf game with a night out with some recovery friends, unless they are going with you to the movie and the golf game. Do you invite newcomers into your circle?

Do you rotate leadership in your group? Are the same people always doing the same positions in service? Are you active? Have you worked the traditions? Do you practice them in your home? They are applicable there as well as at your group and in the community. Rotate your thinking to broaden your horizons.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #18
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

The Steps are in the order they are in for the best of all possible reasons— they work that way!

There is a divine logic in the order of the Twelve Steps. As we work each Step, we look deeper and deeper into ourselves (pealing that onion). It’s not possible to work Steps One through Twelve without experiencing a profound, positive change. This is why our predecessors insist on “writing & living” not just “doing” the Steps.

To try to work the Steps out of order is to fail. One cannot make a list of those one has harmed, for example, if one has not first taken a moral inventory. How can we do anything in a “searching and fearless” way until we have abandoned fear by turning our will and our lives over to the care of a Higher Power? The process can’t be hurried; there aren’t any shortcuts. Step Two follows Step One, and Step Tree follows Step Two, in a natural and important progression.

SITUATIONAL WORKSHEET
(Apply to any situation and watch how it works)

1.We admitted that we were powerless over our addiction, that our lives had become unmanageable.
· What symptom of your disease did you see? (Anger, pain, jealousy, abandonment, frustration, inadequacy)
·At what time did you perceive that your disease had control? (What were you thinking, physically doing, or feeling?)
The first step happens…

2. We came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
· When did you “come to believe” before this situation? (Possibly a similar situation or just another situation that gave you the faith to continue on.)
· What is a power greater than self in this situation? (Is it a person, feeling, or…?)
· In coming to believe, acceptance is what happens. In accepting the situation and knowing that you do not need to stay there, balance is possible.
Sanity comes from balance
Now begins the action.

3.We made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
· What is my will? (It is what I want to do.)
· What is my life? (It is everyday happenings that go on with my participation.)
· What are we going to turn over to the CARE OF GOD? (Symptoms that made your life unmanageable, i.e. anger, pain, jealousy, abandonment, frustration, inadequacy; See Step #1)

4.We made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
An inventory is a look at what I am and am not willing to live with today. In an inventory we deal with: “What is bothering me in the here and now”? (See: Basic Text page 28.) Do not confuse an inventory with a biography.
· List your assets.
· How often have I placed myself or been placed in this position?
· When was the last time I was in this or a similar situation?
· What did I do then? What was the outcome?
Make a list answering the following two questions:
· What am I willing to live with?
· What am I not willing to live with?

Changing the pattern.
Actively making changes according to what you are and what you are not willing to live with. If you find in your list that you are not willing to have things continue as they have in the past and/or are continuing now, then you must make a physical, mental and spiritual change. This is done by making a commitment to what you are willing to do. Make a commitment to self and follow through all the way. Never do half the job. Become involved, be a part of – not a part from. Stand up for what you believe in. Do not compromise your principles. You are worthy!

5.We admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
Call or go see your sponsor or sponsee. Talk with them about all the above and how you came to this point. In doing this, you allow another person the opportunity to get to know you. This allows them the opportunity to tell you what they hear you saying rather than you making a determination on your own as to what is or what is not. We don’t always give ourselves a break or sometimes we give ourselves too much of a break.

6. We were entirely read to have God remove all these defects of character.
We have character traits, and have determined in the third step which of those character traits we are ready to have removed by allowing God to hold onto them. This gives us an opportunity to make a searching and fearless moral inventory. We asked God to take these defective character traits that He has in His care and remove them permanently. In doing this we give up all rights to manipulate the situation – to change the outcome.

7. We humbly ask Him to remove our shortcomings.
· What are shortcomings? It is our will wanting to take over to do what we want when we know we can’t or shouldn’t. (Many times it is our desire to manipulate circumstances to have the outcome the way we want it.)
What is our footwork here? To make a conscious effort not to repeat previous actions such as acting out rage, cussing endlessly. To practice what we are willing to live with as seen in Step 4. We must do the footwork to oversee our actions. In order to make changes, we must participate. God isn’t going to do it for us. God simply gives us the courage, strength, and ability to change.

8. We made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
· Who has been, will be, could be and/or is being harmed? (Self and other person(s) in the situation, and those surrounding the situation.)
After applying these principles to similar situations, this list will get shorter and shorter. The time will come when there is no need to make a list. You will be able to see where you are in a situation, stop before you get caught up in your disease, and harm yourself and/or others. You will just need to look at everyone involved in the situation to determine who or what could be at risk.

9. We made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
· How do you make amends to yourself, others and those who are no longer here?
For yourself: - FORGIVE YOURSELF AND CHANGE THE PATTERN! For those on your list – you must determine if it is ego or humility that motivates your amends. “I’m sorry” just isn’t enough.
· Why do you want to make amends to these people?
Remember that people are just that – people. They too are living according to how they believe and their own values.

10. We continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
Stay in the “right now.” Look at your part in the situation and what part you played in it.
· What was your part in the situation?
· Did you abuse, use or justify anything?
· Did you overcome your shortcomings and not repeat past reactions and/or behaviors?
· What have you been doing in the last few hours?
· Are you pleased with your actions and/or reactions?

11. We sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for the knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
In a situation when looking at the process, ask God to give you guidance in doing His will. Talk to God about all areas and be real honest with self-assessment. If you’re not honest with others, be honest with self so that you can remain a channel of God’s will.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to addicts, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
What is a spiritual awakening? It is what you have realized in working through this situation. It is an understanding or realization of a new way to live, a new way of feeling about self and those surrounding self. We have the opportunity to change, to grow, and gain the ability to become happy, joyous and free. Spiritual awakenings are a result of applying these (not just step #1, step #2, or step #3) principles to EVERY situation in our lives.

The Basic Text states at the beginning of How It Works: “If you want what we have to offer and are willing to make the effort to get it, then you are ready to take certain steps. These are the principles that made our recovery possible.”

A member received this from her sponsor many years ago. They are indeed a living thing. I need to take the words off the pages of the book and apply them to my life.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #19
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

The 12 Steps

they told me
"do the steps, all 12 of them
than....you'll find your Friend"
they went on to say
"believe me it will get
a little better.... day by day"

Step One... there was nothing I could do
quite depressed.... feeling blue
Step Two.... I sought a new belief
slowly.... it provided some relief
Step Three.... answers I began to find
it brought about some peace of mind
Step Four....I looked deep inside
no longer did I want to run or hide
Step Five....I put my trust in Him
and told another all my sins
Step Six... I saw all the defects based on shame
I'd throw away all those old games
Step Seven.... I found a gift in humility
a new wold I'd see
Step Eight...a list was made when I searched
my soul
years of abuse had took its toll
Step Nine.... I began making amends
apologies was the only message I'd send
Step Ten.... the truth was easy to see
an inventory would help keep me free
Step Eleven....my new Friendship was strong
with prayer and meditation days weren't so long
Step Twelve... I couldn't wait to share
and let others know we care

they spoke the truth
life did get better
I found peace within
which made the world
more peaceful and serene

--Dave Harm

Found this on a Google Search:

http://www.barefootsworld.net/aastepswithsponsee.html

http://aa.activeboard.com/t39867757/...-dump-sponsee/

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #20
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

A Guide to the 12 Steps by Dr. Silkworth

http://silkworth.net/aahistory/Guide...eps_Akron.html

Quote:
Remember to keep your thinking straight.
Remember that a wrong act will prey on your
mind until you either do something to rectify it
or get drunk.
Remember that defects will creep into your life
if given half a chance.
Remember that if only through gratitude, we
must help others in order to help ourselves.
And if at any time you feel uncertain of your-
self, read the Twelve Steps carefully, applying
them to yourself. You will find an answer to your
problem.
If the answer is not there, a telephone call or a
visit to another member of AA will bring the
answer.
Putting some of the old with the new and the new with the old.

This is a one day at a time program. What Step did you need today?

Did you start the day with the 1, 2, 3 Waltz? I can't, God can, just for today, I choose to let Him.

When was the last time you did a Step 4? It is suggested that you do one yearly. As you grow in the program, your perception changes and you get to look at things from a new angle and it brings a new light to things which brings about further healing, if you allow it to come in. Have you found any more willingness to make an amend to that person that you put on the back burner. Have you made an amend to yourself? Did you make an amend to God.

When was the last time you did a Step 11. When was the last time you went on a 12 Step call?

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:23 AM   #21
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Walk your talk, apply the Steps to your life.

The Steps are in the order they are in for the best of all possible reasons— they work that way!

There is a divine logic in the order of the Twelve Steps. As we work each Step, we look deeper and deeper into ourselves (pealing that onion). It’s not possible to work Steps One through Twelve without experiencing a profound, positive change. This is why our predecessors insist on “writing & living” not just “doing” the Steps.

To try to work the Steps out of order is to fail. One cannot make a list of those one has harmed, for example, if one has not first taken a moral inventory. How can we do anything in a “searching and fearless” way until we have abandoned fear by turning our will and our lives over to the care of a Higher Power? The process can’t be hurried; there aren’t any shortcuts. Step Two follows Step One, and Step Tree follows Step Two, in a natural and important progression.

SITUATIONAL WORKSHEET
(Apply to any situation and watch how it works)

1.We admitted that we were powerless over our addiction, that our lives had become unmanageable.
· What symptom of your disease did you see? (Anger, pain, jealousy, abandonment, frustration, inadequacy)
·At what time did you perceive that your disease had control? (What were you thinking, physically doing, or feeling?)
The first step happens…

2. We came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
· When did you “come to believe” before this situation? (Possibly a similar situation or just another situation that gave you the faith to continue on.)
· What is a power greater than self in this situation? (Is it a person, feeling, or…?)
· In coming to believe, acceptance is what happens. In accepting the situation and knowing that you do not need to stay there, balance is possible.
Sanity comes from balance
Now begins the action.

3.We made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
· What is my will? (It is what I want to do.)
· What is my life? (It is everyday happenings that go on with my participation.)
· What are we going to turn over to the CARE OF GOD? (Symptoms that made your life unmanageable, i.e. anger, pain, jealousy, abandonment, frustration, inadequacy; See Step #1)

4.We made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
An inventory is a look at what I am and am not willing to live with today. In an inventory we deal with: “What is bothering me in the here and now”? (See: Basic Text page 28.) Do not confuse an inventory with a biography.
· List your assets.
· How often have I placed myself or been placed in this position?
· When was the last time I was in this or a similar situation?
· What did I do then? What was the outcome?
Make a list answering the following two questions:
· What am I willing to live with?
· What am I not willing to live with?

Changing the pattern.
Actively making changes according to what you are and what you are not willing to live with. If you find in your list that you are not willing to have things continue as they have in the past and/or are continuing now, then you must make a physical, mental and spiritual change. This is done by making a commitment to what you are willing to do. Make a commitment to self and follow through all the way. Never do half the job. Become involved, be a part of – not a part from. Stand up for what you believe in. Do not compromise your principles. You are worthy!

5.We admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
Call or go see your sponsor or sponsee. Talk with them about all the above and how you came to this point. In doing this, you allow another person the opportunity to get to know you. This allows them the opportunity to tell you what they hear you saying rather than you making a determination on your own as to what is or what is not. We don’t always give ourselves a break or sometimes we give ourselves too much of a break.

6. We were entirely read to have God remove all these defects of character.
We have character traits, and have determined in the third step which of those character traits we are ready to have removed by allowing God to hold onto them. This gives us an opportunity to make a searching and fearless moral inventory. We asked God to take these defective character traits that He has in His care and remove them permanently. In doing this we give up all rights to manipulate the situation – to change the outcome.

7. We humbly ask Him to remove our shortcomings.
· What are shortcomings? It is our will wanting to take over to do what we want when we know we can’t or shouldn’t. (Many times it is our desire to manipulate circumstances to have the outcome the way we want it.)
What is our footwork here? To make a conscious effort not to repeat previous actions such as acting out rage, cussing endlessly. To practice what we are willing to live with as seen in Step 4. We must do the footwork to oversee our actions. In order to make changes, we must participate. God isn’t going to do it for us. God simply gives us the courage, strength, and ability to change.

8. We made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
· Who has been, will be, could be and/or is being harmed? (Self and other person(s) in the situation, and those surrounding the situation.)
After applying these principles to similar situations, this list will get shorter and shorter. The time will come when there is no need to make a list. You will be able to see where you are in a situation, stop before you get caught up in your disease, and harm yourself and/or others. You will just need to look at everyone involved in the situation to determine who or what could be at risk.

9. We made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
· How do you make amends to yourself, others and those who are no longer here?
For yourself: - FORGIVE YOURSELF AND CHANGE THE PATTERN! For those on your list – you must determine if it is ego or humility that motivates your amends. “I’m sorry” just isn’t enough.
· Why do you want to make amends to these people?
Remember that people are just that – people. They too are living according to how they believe and their own values.

10. We continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
Stay in the “right now.” Look at your part in the situation and what part you played in it.
· What was your part in the situation?
· Did you abuse, use or justify anything?
· Did you overcome your shortcomings and not repeat past reactions and/or behaviors?
· What have you been doing in the last few hours?
· Are you pleased with your actions and/or reactions?

11. We sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for the knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
In a situation when looking at the process, ask God to give you guidance in doing His will. Talk to God about all areas and be real honest with self-assessment. If you’re not honest with others, be honest with self so that you can remain a channel of God’s will.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to addicts, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
What is a spiritual awakening? It is what you have realized in working through this situation. It is an understanding or realization of a new way to live, a new way of feeling about self and those surrounding self. We have the opportunity to change, to grow, and gain the ability to become happy, joyous and free. Spiritual awakenings are a result of applying these (not step #1, step #2, or step #3) principles to EVERY situation in our lives.

The Basic Text states at the beginning of How It Works: “If you want what we have to offer and are willing to make the effort to get it, then you are ready to take certain steps. These are the principles that made our recovery possible.”

A member received this from her sponsor many years ago. They are indeed a living thing. I need to take the words off the pages of the book and apply them to my life.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

The Following User Says Thank You to MajestyJo For Sharing:
Old 05-04-2020, 11:34 PM   #22
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

The Twelve Steps

One to Three: Clear up

Four to Nine: Clean up

Ten to Twelve: Contact up.

These are also called the Foundation Steps, the Action Steps, and the Maintenance Steps

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

The Following User Says Thank You to MajestyJo For Sharing:
Post New ThreadReply