Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Daily Spiritual Meditations Post spiritual meditations here to read and feel free to share.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default No Is Not A Naughty Word

No Is Not A Naughty Word

John 11:1-6: “‘Lord, the one you love is sick.’…Yet…he stayed where he was two more days” (vv.3 and 6).

Martha and Mary sent a message to Jesus that their brother, Lazarus, was deathly ill. They wanted and expected Jesus to come to his bedside. But Jesus in effect said no. He had a sound reason for his decision.

On occasion we may decide that it is advantageous to say no to a request, even a reasonable one. With Jesus as our example, we can be assured that is acceptable. We are not obligated to say yes, just to make someone else feel good. Saying no may merely mean “In my opinion, granting your request would not be beneficial at this time.” We can say no without rejecting the personhood of the one making the request.

Our statement, “No, I don’t care to go out to dinner tonight” is not the same as “I don’t like to be in your company.” It does not mean that we do not care about children’s spiritual education if we say, “No, I will not teach first grade Sunday School this year.” We can say no and remain loving and caring people.

Lord, help me to remember that no is not a naughty word.
Teach me the healthy benefits of saying yes and no.

Joan C. Webb
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply