Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2016, 08:02 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Even More Recovery Readings and Meditations - October

October 1

Step by Step

"Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out." - Step 11, Alcoholics Anonymous

Today, whether I have embraced the a higher power or am skeptical either as an atheist or agnostic, Step 11 suggests that I be at least open to the possibility of something greater and stronger than myself. I must also seek the will and way of something other than my own. This is the definition of humility - to be open to learning and carrying out the will of a power stronger and wiser than me. I cannot be reminded or jolted enough that history has proven time and again that running my life on my terms has always led to the same disastrous results and outcome; thus, the insanity of alcoholism. Today, I remember that I am dependent on a wiser and stronger power to guide me on a non-destructive course and that I am risking a slip or relapse if I forget that it hasn't worked my way. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M.

~ EASY DOES IT ~ (A Book of Daily 12 Step Meditations) ~

PINK CLOUDS

Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living and your belief will create the fact.

~ William James ~

Nearly all of us refer at some time to being on a "honeymoon of recovery." Whether we call it a "honeymoon” or "being on a pink cloud," the experience is the same. The recovery honeymoon is a natural state of well-being after we "get the monkey off our backs."

The sensation of living on a pink cloud never has to leave us, but we can only keep it by moving into positive action and working our Program. This is a time of being physically, emotionally, and spiritually at peace with society and ourselves. It has been described as a time of joy that makes us feel we are climbing out of darkness into light. Like other miracles of recovery, pink clouds are reality, not fantasy.

I can keep living on my "pink cloud" of recovery if I keep working at it and practicing gratitude and humility.

~ WISDOM TO KNOW ~ (More Daily Meditations For Men) ~

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

~ Albert Einstein ~

In following the healing way, we open ourselves to truths that can never be established as concrete facts. Some of us have always been comfortable with a spiritual outlook. But some of us were hurt by damaging or even abusive experiences in religious institutions and gave up on them as meaningless. Now we all come together on a path that takes a very wide view of spirituality while making spiritual ideas central.

It is reassuring to learn that one of the greatest scientists of all time had a firm respect for realities that could not be pointed to or quantified. He excelled in the practical, objective world of science and he also knew about spiritual truth. Now we, too, are learning how our spiritual life creates miracles we could not bring about by the force of our will.

Today I am grateful to be tuned in to those forces that are outside objective, concrete reality.

~ A WOMAN’S SPIRIT ~ (More Meditations For Women) ~

As our spirituality grows and changes, we can allow our image of God to change.

~ Ruth Schweitzer-Mordecai ~

As children we may have pictured God as a man with long hair, a beard, and flowing robes. For some of us, that image may still be the most comfortable. As adults, however, we have the freedom to define God however we wish. Hearing our sisters share their perceptions of a Higher Power has given us the courage to create whoever we need.

God may not even be an image some days, but only a feeling. The brilliant light reflecting off the drops of morning dew, the delicate hum of the hungry hummingbird, or the radiance of an American Beauty rose may whisper of the presence of God. A passage we read in a time-worn book may also remind us of God’s reality. Whether it’s a feeling, a few words, a specific image, or a profound experience, God will be as real in our lives as we are willing to allow.

The more I believe in God today, the easier will be my journey. I am not alone. The presence is always with me.

~ TODAY I WILL DO ONE THING ~ (Daily Readings for Awareness and Hope) ~

I am becoming more responsible

Once a week I agreed to check in with my clinic and get a urine screen. I agreed to go to at least three meetings each week. I agreed to check in with my sponsor every day. I realize these are important, useful commitments, but I feel controlled; I feel as though I am unworthy of trust.

On the other hand, can I really be trusted these days? In the past I have promised to stay sober and then got high, promised to take my meds and then failed to even fill the prescription. It is hard to own up to, but maybe I need this structure for a while. And following through on these commitments will help me earn trust. Even though I resent it now it may well help me to recover.

Today I will practice doing what I say I'm going to do. I will check in with my sponsor and take my (prescribed) medication.

~ BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT ~ (Inspiration and Support for Recovery) ~

If there is one thing we all can drop, it is criticism....
If we come to a place of acceptance and self-love,
it is easier to make changes.

~ Louise Hay ~

Virginia Satir once said, “You don’t help anybody by scolding them.” Criticism is a sharp weapon that we have used against ourselves and probably against others, sometimes with severe consequences. When it is constructive and offered with sensitivity, grace, and dignity, then criticism may be helpful, but not otherwise.

Most of us are our own sternest critics. To have someone else line up our “bad” qualities and march them before us only shames us more as it breaks our spirits and closes our ears. When we treat others this way, we’re left feeling mean-spirited and lonely.

But we can let go. The more we work on loving and affirming ourselves and others, the better we are able to give and accept constructive criticism. Each thing we learn how to cherish in ourselves helps us see and be thankful for the beauty around us.

Today let me be only a bearer of loving criticism and gentle suggestions.

~ MORNING LIGHT ~ (Meditations to Begin Your Day) ~

Our deeds determine us, as much as we determine our deeds.

~ George Eliot ~

If everything in life were easy, then everyone would be a success. Each of us has a certain set of skills, talents, and abilities. It is up to us to develop our strengths anti to strive, to the best of our ability, to utilize these assets, yet you may be someone who has created limitations anti built imaginary ceilings in your life. Rather than move beyond these self-erected barriers, you may find comfort in hiding behind them. Until you challenge yourself— even in small ways—you will never know what you are capable of achieving.

You can learn how to extend the boundaries of your limitations by first making a list of all of those things you would like to do or learn. Then write down why you have not taken action to make these things happen. The first list expresses your desires; the second list conveys the roadblocks that are preventing you from achieving your desires.

Review your lists, and then select one desire you would like to pursue. Take actions that will help you move beyond the roadblock, and you may be surprised at what you really can do.

Today I will take action to move beyond my limitations.

~ NIGHT LIGHT ~ (A Book Of Nighttime Meditations) ~

There seemed to be endless obstacles preventing me from living with my eyes open, but as I gradually followed up clue after clue it seemed that the root cause of them all was fear.

~ Joanna Field ~

How often have we complained that we would be able to do something if only another thing weren't preventing us. "I can't” is our answer when we look around us and see only potential obstacles to accomplishing something. We need to realize, however, that "I can't" is just another way of saying "I fear."

If we took away our fearfulness, think of all we could do. There would be nothing to prevent us from taking risks, trying new things, going new places, becoming more intimate, changing careers, going back to school, taking a Fourth Step inventory, chairing a meeting, or sponsoring a newcomer.

We can change our response of "I can't” to "I'll try." We can take the first step away from our fear toward trying something new. There are no obstacles in our path—only the ones we put there to protect us from things we fear.

Higher Power, help me take the steps to change from "I can't" to "I can."

~ DAY BY DAY ~ (Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts) ~

Learning about love

Being straight, we are discovering the joys of love. Just as our old ideas about living had to change, our old ideas about love have to change. Love can’t always be measured by self-sacrifice or generosity. We can self- sacrifice ourselves into martyrdom or generosity ourselves into directing and man-aging others’ lives.

Love doesn’t stipulate or limit. Does our Higher Power limit us? It loves us so much that it lets us go over the limit—to the point where we destroy ourselves. Few of us know much about the true nature of love, but when we are ready, our Higher Power reveals itself to us and shows us about love.

Have I learned all about love?

May I know with all my heart that my Higher Power is love.

Today I will make myself ready to learn about love by

God help me to stay clean and sober today!

~ IF YOU WANT WHAT WE HAVE ~ (Sponsorship Meditations) ~

Man did not weave the web of life; he is merely a strand in it.
Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.

~ CHIEF SEATTLE ~

Newcomer

I've been looking at the Tenth Step, and I'm intimidated by the way it sounds. Isn't all this emphasis on being "wrong" a way of beating ourselves up?

Sponsor

I agree with you that gentleness with ourselves is a good policy in recovery. But we can be both gentle and honest at the same time: they're not opposites. We can't grow if we're not willing to look honestly at our actions and at their consequences.

Whether in professional or personal relationships, we ourselves don't like dealing with people who can't be depended on to do what they've promised. We don't like selfishness or dishonesty in others. Why, then, should we gloss over these traits in ourselves?

In recovery, we're in the process of developing deeper, more intimate relationships with ourselves. As in our relationships with other human beings, we need to be willing to see clearly and to acknowledge what isn't having a good effect on us or on others.

I step back and take an honest look at how I'm living my life today.

~ THE EYE OPENER ~

Most of us have met persons whom we thought extremely homely until we knew them better. Then we ceased observing their lack of facial beauty and began to appreciate those persons for what they really were.

George Washington and Abraham Lincoln were what might be called extremely homely men, yet the beauty and strength of their characters was such that practically all present day pictures show little of their ugliness.

You can't do a whole lot to improve an ugly face, but you can hide it behind a lovely character.

~ The 12 STEP PRAYER BOOK ~ (A Collection of Favorite 12 Step Prayers and Inspirational Readings) ~

Lack of Faith

Dear God, help me to stop demanding maturity without the pains of experience and growth. It is both unreasonable and impossible. I need faith in the process to reach maturity. Lack of faith arrests my progress in recovery. Procrastination and scepticism are enemies of spiritual progress and attainment.

Scepticism demands evidence of God’s help. Procrastination prevents it. Faith, willingness, and prayer overcome all obstacles and provide ample evidence of God’s help in our happy, clean, and sober lives.

~ Adapted from The Little Red Book, pages 38-39 ~

~ AROUND THE YEAR WITH EMMET FOX ~ (A Book of Daily Readings) ~

THE ACTIVITY OF GOD

Read Psalm 18:8-16.

Thinking of one of his own experiences, the Psalmist says that the sorrows of hell compassed him about and the snares of death came upon him, and that he "cried unto God"—he went on praying—and that God came to his rescue. He says that the earth shook and trembled and that the very hills moved because God was wroth. Of course, the "earth" means your environment, and all the outer conditions that constitute your life experience at the present time. Thus the shaking and moving of these things means that all your conditions are being changed, naturally for the better. The "wroth" of God in the Bible always means the activity of God. It does not mean anger.

. . . and the Highest gave his voice. . . (Psalm 18: l3).

~ A DEEP BREATH OF LIFE ~ (365 Daily Inspirations for Heart-Centered Living) ~

When Your Heart Is Strong

Throw your heart over the fence and the rest will follow.

~ Norman Vincent Peale ~

On the threshold of recording her blockbuster album Unforgettable, Natalie Cole wrestled with her soul. The notion of electronically marrying segments of her dad's famous 1951 song with her voice in response was a bold and unprecedented experiment in the music industry. But in spite of potential criticism, there was something inside Natalie that kept pushing her to go ahead with the project. Subsequently, the recording became a top-selling album, and the singer won numerous Grammy awards for it.

Natalie looked back and summarized the process: "When your heart is really strong about something, there comes a point at which you just close your eyes and go for it."

All the figuring, planning, and reasoning in the world will do you no good unless you are willing to follow your instincts. All healing occurs outside the safety zone. Sometimes all you have to work with is a compelling urge, and sometimes that is enough. It is said that "the heart has reasons that reason knows not of."

Practice acting on your intuition. Faith is like a muscle-the more you use it, the stronger it becomes, and the greater your capacity to use it. If a particular venture keeps knocking at the door of your consciousness, it is likely that this is your direction. Ask yourself, "Can I not do it?" If you cannot not do it, your path is obvious.

Speak to me through my heart. Compel me to do the will of love.

Empowered by joy, I follow my path with courage and confidence.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply