Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Weekly Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2016, 10:54 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Weekly Spiritual Meditations - July 22

Jesus is our bread for the journey.

When we spend time studying scripture, a noticeable change comes over us as well. God’s love can shine through our troubles, and we can carry that assurance to others by sharing our experiences of God’s transforming love. God’s love makes us light for the world.

No matter our circumstances, faith in Christ gives us each the promise of new life.

When we trust in Christ, we can face our fears.

We can reach out to the Lord for help. We may have to wait, but peace comes to us when we come to him. When our confidence fails, Jesus will reach out and pull us up.

Jesus helps us through the storms of life.

"Over the course of our lives, we may waste time in countless ways, but no time spent with a friend is ever squandered, because merely being together creates a belonging that matters. Jesus said: 'For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.'" --Mary Manin Morrissey

A SEAT ON THE COUCH by Joseph Mazzella
It had been a long, hard day at work. At the time I was in my early twenties but by the end of the day I felt like I was ninety. Times were tough financially and the only job I could find was in a local lumber mill. That meant long hours for low pay. My days were spent cutting, carrying, and stacking boards with an injured back that never stopped hurting. My fingers were covered in band aids but still split and bled through my torn work gloves. When each day finally ended it was all I could do to trudge tiredly out to my car.
The drive home was short but felt long. I was so worn out. Each day seemed to take more out of me and the money I earned was barely enough to feed my family. When I got to my front door I did my best to wipe the sawdust off my clothes before going in. Then I wearily hung up my hard hat, took off my cracked, worn, work boots, and collapsed on the couch. I sat there for a while with my eyes closed, trying to rest my aching back. Suddenly, I felt our little dog curling up in a ball next to me. I smiled and petted him for a bit before opening my eyes again.
When I did my smile widened because my young daughter was standing in front of me holding her favorite children’s book. She looked at me innocently with her beautiful blue eyes and asked if I could read her a story. I bent over, helped her to climb up on my lap, and said, "Sure Sweetie." I felt a warmth and peace around me as I started to read and fresh energy soon began to fill my body and spirit. I knew then that everything was going to be alright and I silently thanked God for His love, for my family, and for my life.
So many of us spend our lives in the pursuit of happiness. Yet, often all you need to do is take a seat on the couch and watch as love climbs on your lap, peace curls up by your side, and happiness fills your heart. May you always love freely and live joyfully as God intended.

Living Water by Joel Jongkind
Revelation 21:6b – I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts. (NKJV)
Isaiah 55:1 – Ho! Everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat. Yes, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. (NKJV)
I have noticed that more and more people are carrying a water bottle with them at all times, when they are walking or jogging, driving the car, in church, and at sports events. We are often reminded that water is good for us, even when we are not thirsty. Many of us now have the luxury of purchasing bottled water by the case. We can also refill our bottles from the tap.
Fifty years ago, I lived in the Sultanate of Muscat and Oman, and quite often, I would go into the city of Muscat for business. On my way back to the camp where I lived, I would on occasion stop in the town of Mattrah to have a walk around the market. There, I would see the water seller selling water to those who were thirsty. He carried the water in a bag made from goatskin. He would walk among the crowd and would loudly yell words like, "All you who thirst, come; I have water." And indeed, many did come. He would dispense it into a small cup. They would drink it right there on the spot, and return the cup to him. There were times when I was tempted to accept a drink from him, but I never did.
Water is essential for life, and the land of Israel is very dry, so there are a number of references in the Bible to water and the importance of it. Here is one of the best known ones:
John 4:7,9-10 – A woman of Samaria came to draw water. Jesus said to her, "Give Me a drink." Then the woman of Samaria said to Him, "How is it that You, being a Jew, ask a drink from me, a Samaritan woman?" For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans. Jesus answered and said to her, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, 'Give Me a drink,' you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water." (NKJV)
Jesus also said, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. (John 7:37b NKJV)
A well-known song expresses it beautifully:
And Jesus said,
"Come to the water, stand by my side
I know you are thirsty, you won't be denied
I felt every tear drop, when in darkness you cried
And I strove to remind you,
That for those tears I died."
- Marsha Stevens
As the water seller stood at the market place, and still does in many middle-eastern countries, so God stands in the marketplace of our lives, telling all who thirst to come to Him for living water. But so many walk by, just like I did in Mattrah. So many thirst but do not accept the gift of the free water of eternal life that God gives us through Jesus our Lord. Don't make the same mistake!
Prayer: Our Father in heaven, we pray that more people would hear and accept the living water in Jesus that You so freely offer for all who are thirsty for another way of life. We ask it in Jesus' name. Amen.

"I've Learned What I Can Do!" Author Unknown
Roger Crawford had everything he needed to play tennis - except two hands and a leg.
When Roger's parents saw their son for the first time, they saw a baby with a thumb-like projection extended directly out of his right forearm and a thumb and one finger stuck out of his left forearm. He had no palms. The baby's arms and legs were shortened, and he had only three toes on his shrunken right foot and a withered left leg, which would later be amputated.
The doctor said Roger suffered from ectrodactylism, a rare birth defect affecting only one out of 90,000 children born in the United States. The doctor said Roger would probably never walk or care for himself. Fortunately Roger's parents didn't believe the doctor.
"My parents always taught me that I was only as handicapped as I wanted to be," said Roger. "They never allowed me to feel sorry for myself or take advantage of people because of my handicap. Once I got into trouble because my school papers were continually late," explained Roger who had to hold his pencil with both "hands" to write slowly. "I asked Dad to write a note to my teachers, asking for a two-day extension on my assignments. Instead Dad made me start writing my papers two days early!"
Roger's father always encouraged him to get involved in sports, teaching Roger to catch and throw a volleyball, and play backyard football after school. At age 12, Roger managed to win a spot on the school football team.
Before every game, Roger would visualize his dream of scoring a touchdown. Then one day he got his chance. The ball landed in his arms and off he ran as fast as he could on his artificial leg toward the goal line, his coach and teammates cheering wildly. But at the ten-yard line, a guy from the other team caught up with Roger, grabbing his left ankle. Roger tried to pull his artificial leg free, but instead it ended up being pulled off.
"I was still standing up," recalls Roger. "I didn't know what else to do, so I started hopping towards the goal line. The referee ran over and threw his hands into the air. Touchdown! You know, even better than the six-points was the look on the face of the other kid who was holding my artificial leg."
Roger's love of sports grew and so did his self-confidence. But not every obstacle gave way to Roger's determination. Eating in the lunchroom with the other kids watching him fumble with his food proved very painful to Roger, as did his repeated failure in typing class. "I learned a very good lesson from typing class," said Roger. "You can't do everything - it's better to concentrate on what you can do."
One thing Roger could do was swing a tennis racket. Unfortunately, when he swung it hard, his weak grip usually launched it into space. Roger stumbled upon an odd-looking tennis racket in a sports shop and accidentally wedged his finger between its double-barred handle when he picked it up. The snug fit made it possible for Roger to swing, serve and volley like an able-bodied player. He practiced every day and was soon playing - and losing - matches.
But Roger persisted. He practiced and practiced and played and played. Surgery on the two fingers of his left hand enabled Roger to grip his special racket better, greatly improving his game. Although he had no role models to guide him, Roger became obsessed with tennis and in time he started to win.
Roger went on to play college tennis, finishing his tennis career with 22 wins and 11 losses. He later became the first physically handicapped tennis player to be certified as a teaching professional by the United States Professional Tennis Association. Roger now tours the country, speaking to groups about what it takes to be a winner, no matter who you are.
"The only difference between you and me is that you can see my handicap, but I can't see yours. We all have them. When people ask me how I've been able to overcome my physical handicaps, I tell them that I haven't overcome anything. I've simply learned what I can't do - such as play the piano or eat with chopsticks - but more importantly, I've learned what I can do. Then I do what I can with all my heart and soul."
Follow up Note from Chris: You know, while a nice "feel good" story, there's some deep lessons in here for us as Christians. We are each given gifts by the Lord: we excel in certain things, and not so well in others. The Lord gives us gifts that we might use them to further His Kingdom here - to bring others in and minister to those already in. As a Christian, we are to be constantly growing. But sometimes we get discouraged thinking things like: "I don't know how to be used by the Lord" and "What can I do for the Lord?" and "I don't have a pastoral gifting or a worship leader gifting - so what can I do?" And sometimes we get so hung up on these things that we neglect the things that the Lord HAS gifted us with. No, he doesn't gift us all to be a pastor, but he does gift in a LOT of other ways. There are certain things that I do well, and therefore I should do them with all my heart and soul, and not worry so much about the rest. And there are certain things that you do well (whether you think you do or not!) and you should do them with all your heart and soul and not worry about the rest. And ultimately, whatever we do, whether it is fixing a computer, painting someone's house, encouraging someone, administrating, or being a pastor or worship leader, it should ALL be done to give God the glory (one way or the other) because He is the one who has given us these gifts and we are to use them to serve God! This is a vital realization.

Growing In The Word by Karl Csaszar
My wife and I know a dear woman who loves to garden, for her gardening brings her closer to God's creation. She often expresses her work in her flower garden in terms that are reminiscent of a person's quiet time. Can you worship God when you're on your knees and your hands are spading clusters of soon-to-blossom flowers? Indeed, you can.
I also enjoy looking after our lawn and planting different types of flowers. I especially enjoy hydrangea. They are resplendent when the soil is properly fertilized and the PH is balanced to the blossoms' needs. My, how they grow and bring joy!
Isn't that just like our ability to grow in our faith and our walk with the Lord! If flowers need good, nutritious soil for them to be at their best, what do we need to bloom where we are planted? Here is what the apostle Peter recommends:
1 Peter 2:2 – As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby. (NKJV)
This disciple learned the value of receiving nutrition from God's Word. He grew to be a strong, committed leader in the Christian community's early years.
What conditions do you need in order for you to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ?
Prayer: Dear caring Father, I want to grow as You prescribe in Your Word. Help me to cultivate my surroundings that will enrich my faith and my growth. I ask in Jesus' name. Amen.

A New Way to Think by The Daniel Plan Team
Turn your heart to what you know is true: the power of the Holy Spirit is within you.
Be merciful to me, Lord, for I am in distress... I am forgotten as though I were dead; I have become like broken pottery. — Psalm 31:9, Psalm 31:12
Ever feel like everything is against you? Or like you are stuck in negative thought patterns?
One pattern to watch out for is overgeneralization.
This usually involves words like always, never, every time, or everyone. These thoughts make a situation out to be worse than it really is.
For instance, “I have always struggled with health issues; it will never change” or “Every time I get stressed, I fall into bad patterns.”
Are these thoughts accurate? Do you know it will never change? Do you have to fall into bad patterns every time, without exception? Of course not.
Overgeneralizations make you believe you have no control over your actions and that you are incapable of changing them.
If you tend to think in overgeneralizations, write them down and challenge them. Then turn your heart to what you know is true: the power of the Holy Spirit is within you.
Food for Thought: God is merciful; He will free you from those old thought patterns.
Your Turn: Are you stuck in overgeneralizing? Do you use negative words like always and never which keep you from having victory in your life? Today, let’s ask the Lord for mercy during those times when we feel like everything is against us.

I AM Author Unknown
When the enemy comes to us with discouraging thoughts and encourages us to quit our work for the Lord, it is very important that we renew our mind and speak the Word of God out loud so the enemy can hear it. The enemy has tried to discourage me many times and let me tell you, that when I stand firm and speak the Scriptures, those thoughts flee from me faster than when they entered my mind. Be encouraged and when in doubt, speak the Scriptures out loud and see the deliverance of the Lord. Believe me, it works!
I received this a while back and have always loved to read it whenever troubles came my way. I encourage you to print off a copy or keep it handy in your email box so you can get quick access when you need to fight off Satan and his wicked thoughts.
I AM...
1. A Child of God (Romans 8:16)
2. Forgiven (Colossians 1:13-14)
3. Saved by Grace through Faith (Ephesians 2:8)
4. Justified (Romans 5:1)
5. Sanctified (1 Corinthians 6:11)
6. A New Creature (2 Corinthians 5:17)
7. A Partaker of His Divine Nature (2 Peter 1:4)
8. Redeemed from the Curse of the Law (Galatians 3:13)
9. Redeemed from the Hand of the Enemy (Psalms 107:2)
10. Delivered from the Powers of Darkness (Colossians 1:13)
11. Led by the Spirit of God (Romans 8:14)
12. A Child of God (Romans 8:14)
13. Getting All My Needs Met by Jesus (Philippians 4:19)
14. Casting All My Cares Upon Jesus (1 Peter 5:7)
15. Strong in the Lord (Ephesians 6:10)
16. Doing All Thing through Christ (Philippians 4:13)
17. Doing the Lord's Commandments (Deuteronomy 28:12)
18. An Heir of Eternal Life (1 John 5:11-12)
19. Blessed with All Spiritual Blessings (Ephesians 1:3)
20. Healed by His Stripes (1 Peter 2:24)
21 More than a Conqueror (Romans 8:37)
22. Establishing God's Word Here on Earth (Matthew 16:19)
23. An Overcomer by the Blood of the Lamb (Revelation 12:11)
24. Daily Overcoming the Devil (1 John 4:4)
25. Walking by Faith and Not by Sight (2 Corinthians 5:7)
26. Bringing Every Thought into Captivity (2 Corinthians 10:5)
27. Being Constantly Transformed (Romans 12:1-2)
28. A Laborer Together with God (1 Corinthians 3:9)
29. An Imitator of Jesus (Ephesians 5:1)
30. Continually Praising the Lord (Psalms 34:1)

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
I have brought you this far, and I will take you the rest of the way, says the Lord. Be who you are, and do not try to be something you are not. Allow My character and nature to be developed in you. It is more important than ever for you, My people, to exemplify spiritual reality and represent Me in a tangible way. Be true to yourself and others. Ephesians 6:24 Grace be with all those who love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity.

Be watchful, and don't let your guard down even when you experience a time of relative peace and quiet. The enemy will exploit your vulnerabilities when you least expect it. Stay strong and exercise spiritual discernment in all things, says the Lord. 1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

The decisions that you make in the coming days and weeks will have extraordinary influence. Give careful consideration to your choices at this time and rely on Me, says the Lord, to give you the wisdom necessary to secure your position both spiritually and naturally. 1 Thessalonians 5:6 Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober.

You are on a path that is unfamiliar and at times seems very precarious, but you must not be afraid. I am leading you and directing your steps. Open your eyes and see how far you have come. Don't stop here, for you still have a ways to go. The path is narrowing and demands more of you than you thought you could possibly endure. But, with Me all things are possible, says the Lord. Keep pressing on. Psalms 18:33 He makes my feet like the feet of deer, and sets me on my high places.

The demands on your time and energy have made you feel scattered, and you would do well to take inventory to define what is really important to you. You may have to let go of things that are unnecessary and that reduce your level of effectiveness. Deliberately prioritize your to-do list in order to preserve your peace of mind, says the Lord. Isaiah 26:3 You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.

Take the time you need to rejuvenate and gain strength. The storms have been relentless and difficult. But, you have been able to find shelter and a place of safety in Me. Continue to return to your safe haven in times of trouble. I am your safe habitation, says the Lord. Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
I, the Lord, am the door of this season. Come to me, and the doors will be opened for you. Only believe. My signs have been given to confirm the prophetic words that have been spoken. Believe and receive the new anointing for victory. This anointing will activate My word and cause it to become yours.

I am the Lord who watches over you. Have you forgotten that I know you? I know your troubles. I know those things that you struggle with. I know those things that you think about and the things that you set yourself to do. I know your motives and your attitudes. I know all about you. I know you better than you know yourself. I am leading and guiding you. I have never left you nor will I ever forsake you. I know all the things that are before you; the things that are yet unfulfilled. I know what the enemy is planning for you. And, because I know all of these things I am able to work on your behalf, and I am able to bring you through the storms and through the valleys of desperation and through the wars that you encounter. I am able to bring you into the place of liberty and victory if you will believe in Me, trust in Me, walk with Me, says the Lord.

I'm There by Virginia Santoro
When I'm close by, you can easily tell...
we can look eye-to-eye and know all is well.
As good times arrive, there am I smiling with you...
in challenging times, my warm embrace is assured.
When we're separated by distance or time...
there's no need to feel disconnected ~ it's an illusion, a lie.
I instinctively sense when your heart's full of joy...
and my own heart delights for you all the more.
I know in an instant if you're troubled or pained...
and I'm there by your side wiping tears from your face.
The secret to how this ever can be...
is that I unite in prayer with the Spirit in thee.
I'm there, right there with you, whether near or far...
I'm as close as your breath ~ find me there in your heart.

The Hand of God by Marilyn Ferguson
May the new day bring you blessings
As the light comes filtering through
May your sunrise be as lovely
As a morning draped in dew.
May the wind blow forth a promise
Sending sweet bouquets your way
May life seem a little brighter
As you rise to greet the day.
May the daybreak render pleasure
As the birds begin to sing
May the distant roll of thunder
Bring forth a touch of Spring.
May the mist embrace the stillness
Like a fire fly in the night
May an angel walk beside you
To hold you in the light.
May the rain caress your body
And life drops flood your soul
May His Spirit come upon you
To cleanse and make you whole.
May the showers come so softly
Running gently through your hair
May you touch the living water
And know that He is there.
May the freshness bring you new life
Pushing through the tender sod
May you pause to pick a flower
And brush the hand of God.

Lamentations 3:22-23 "Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness."

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Jesus said, “I am the bread of life.” - John 6:48

Hebrews 13:5-6 - 5 Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” 6 So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?”

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you. Psalm 32:8

Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Matthew 6:31-33

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. John 10:27-29

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. Isaiah 43:2

I Have Seen the Face of the Captain Author Unknown
Robert Louis Stevenson loved to recount the story of a ship tossed in a storm. The sea was rough and the rocky coast perilous. Danger was real and dread expectancy active among the seamen. One frantic sailor who was laboring below the water line could contain himself no longer. He rushed to the control room, closed the door behind himself, and stood frozen in fright watching the captain wrestle with the controls of the huge ship.
Skill of mind and strength of hand enabled the captain to guide the vessel through the threatening rocks into open water. The Captain turned slightly, looked at the frightened sailor, and smiled. The youth returned below deck and assured the crew all danger was over. When they inquired how he knew, he answered, "I have seen the face of the Captain, and he smiled at me."
If you will only "turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in his wonderful face, the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of his glory and grace." When you know who is in control, there is no fear.
“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10)

Thank you, God, For speaking to us through scripture. Give us wisdom to appreciate your guidance in our lives. Remind us to come to you when we face struggles and storms, and bring us peace. Teach us to let go and to trust you for all of the future you give us. Amen.

Read Through The Bible
Psalm 24
1 The earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein. 2 For he hath founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the floods. 3 Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord? or who shall stand in his holy place? 4 He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully. 5 He shall receive the blessing from the Lord, and righteousness from the God of his salvation. 6 This is the generation of them that seek him, that seek thy face, O Jacob. Selah. 7 Lift up your heads, O ye gates; and be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in. 8 Who is this King of glory? The Lord strong and mighty, the Lord mighty in battle. 9 Lift up your heads, O ye gates; even lift them up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in. 10 Who is this King of glory? The Lord of hosts, he is the King of glory. Selah.

Lord Jesus, Make us bright with the light of your love and compassion so that we may share your love with others. Help us to share our love with everyone we meet, wherever we go. Amen.

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply