Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 01-01-2023, 05:28 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default A Prayer & Some Thoughts - January

January 1

New Year's Prayer

As the dawn breaks on a new year, let us give thanks for all we hold dear: our health, our family and our friends.

Let us release our grudges, our anger and our pains, for these are nothing but binding chains. Let us live each day in the most loving ways, the God-conscious way. Let us serve all who are in need, regardless of race, color or creed.

Let us keep God of our own understanding in our hearts and to chant God's name each day. Let us lead the world from darkness to light, from falsehood to truth and from wrong to right.

Let us remember that we are all one, embracing all, discriminating against none.

May your year be filled with peace, prosperity and love. May God's blessings shower upon you and bestow upon each of you a bright, healthy and peaceful new year.

~ Rev. Marcy Sheremetta

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

In following the A.A. program with its twelve steps, we have the advantage of a better understanding of our problems.

Day after day our sobriety results in the formation of new habits, normal habits. As each twenty-four-hour period ends, we find that the business of staying sober is a much less trying and fearsome ordeal than it seemed in the beginning.

So ............

Do I find it easier as I go along?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Blame

Which is worse: blaming ourselves or others for things that go wrong? A better question might be, Is anyone to blame?
We're really better off, in 12 Step living, to begin dropping the idea of placing blame for our thinking altogether. Even if someone's responsibility for a mistake or wrong is fully evident, we get nowhere by pointing the finger at him or her. What often happens, in fact, is that the person becomes defensive... just as we do... And retreats into denial or anger.
Another problem is that placing blame quickly becomes the sticky business of taking another person's inventory. Let's leave such matters to courts and prosecutions and focus instead on solving our own problems. I'll not waste time today thinking about who's to blame. My focus will be on what can be done for general improvement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Faith

To me, this means a belief in a Creator who is all power, justice, and love; a God who intends for me a purpose, a meaning, and a destiny to grow, however little and haltingly, toward His own likeness and image. Before the coming of faith I had lived as an alien in a cosmos that too often seemed both hostile and cruel. In it, there could be no inner security for me.

As Bill Sees It Page 51

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"It's humbling to start fresh. It takes a lot of courage. But it can be reinvigorating. You just have to put your ego on a shelf & tell it to be quiet." ~ Jennifer Ritchie Payette
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2023, 06:09 AM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 2

Prayer for Acceptance

Lord,
Help me to accept the person that you made me to be, blessings, difficulties, and all.
Help me to recognize the plans and purpose for my life and to know there is no purpose too big or too small in this world, as you are the one who gave it to me.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Am I all get and no give?

Do I go to meetings and always sit in the back row and let the others do all the work? Do I think it's enough just because I'm sober and can rest on my laurels? If so, I haven't gone very far in the program, nor am I getting nearly enough of what it has to offer. I will be a weak member until I get in there and help carry the load. I must eventually get off the bench and get into the game. I'm not just a spectator: I'm supposed to be one of the team. Do I go in there and carry the ball?

So ............

Am I still on a "free ride" in A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Moving Forward

Time past is gone forever, and we can never go back to it. The only way to avoid repetitive failure is to move forward creatively. Each day is a new creation, and each day brings new lessons and opportunities. We build on what is past, but we do not need to repeat it.

Moving forward involves risking what is unknown. The old, familiar rut, depressing as it is, is a known quantity. Moving out of it requires that we have courage and that we trust.To move on, we must act. Insights do not produce growth until they are accompanied by specific actions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spare Time

None of us makes a sole vocation of this work, nor do we think its effectiveness would be increased if we did. We feel that elimination of our drinking is but a beginning. A much more important demonstration of our principles lies before us in our respective homes, occupations and affairs. All of us spend much of our spare time in the sort of effort which we are going to describe. A few are fortunate enough to be so situated that they can give nearly all their time to the work.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 19

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"It is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life, that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 01-03-2023, 06:45 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 3

Prayer for This Day

Lord,
Please give us the strength to change our lives for the better and do more good than bad, please give us the courage to live life to the fullest. Give us the strength to overcome cruelty with grace, and hatred with love.
Lord, remind us that our actions matter.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

The A.A. way is the way of sobriety.

A.A. is known everywhere as a method that has been successful with alcoholics. Doctors, psychiatrists, and the clergy have had some success. Some men and women have gotten sober all by themselves. We believe that A.A. is the most successful and happiest way to sobriety. And yet A.A. is, of course, not wholly successful. Some are unable to achieve sobriety and some slip back into alcoholism after they have had some measure of sobriety.

So ............

Am I deeply grateful to have found A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Balance

Seek balance.
Balance emotions with reason.
Combine detachment with doing our part.
Balance giving with receiving.
Alternate work with play, business with personal activities.

Balance tending to our spiritual needs with tending to our other needs.
Juggle responsibilities to others with responsibilities to ourselves.
Balance caring about others with caring about ourselves.
Whenever possible, let's be good to others, but be good to ourselves too.
Some of us have to make up for lost time.
I will strive for balance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obsession

We know that while the alcoholic keeps away from drink, as he may do for months or years, he reacts much like other men. We are equally positive that once he takes any alcohol whatever into his system, something happens, both in the bodily and mental sense, which makes it virtually impossible for him to stop. The experience of any alcoholic will abundantly confirm this.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 22

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt
Old 01-04-2023, 06:24 AM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 4

Helping Others Prayer

Lord,
I know that you have equipped me with knowledge, talent, and resources.
I pray that I can use all that you have given to me to help others.
I pray I will be generous with my time and what I have to offer to those in need, especially my family.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Before we decide to quit drinking, most of us have come up against a blank wall.

We’d seen that we're beaten, that we had to quit. But we don't know which way to turn for help. There seems to be no door in that blank wall. A.A. opens the door that leads to sobriety. By encouraging us to honestly admit that we're alcoholics and to realize that we can't take even one drink, and by showing us which way to turn for help, A.A. opens the door in that blank wall.

So ............

Have I gone through that door to sobriety?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Being Honest with Ourselves

Our relationship with ourselves is the most important relationship we need to maintain.
When we can tell ourselves how we feel, and accept our feelings, we can tell others.
When we can accept what we want and need, we will be ready to have our wants and needs met.
When we can accept what we think and believe, and accept what's important to us, we can relay this to others.
When we learn to take ourselves seriously, others will too.
When we learn to chuckle at ourselves, we will be ready to laugh with others.
When we have learned to trust ourselves, we will be trustworthy and ready to trust.
When we can be grateful for who we are, we will have achieved self-love.
When we have achieved self-love and accepted our wants and needs, we will be ready to give and receive love.
When we've learned to stand on our own two feet, we're ready to stand next to someone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tradition One

"Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon A.A. Unity."

"Does this mean," some will anxiously ask, "that in A.A. the individual doesn't count for much? Is he to be dominated by his group and swallowed up in it?" We may certainly answer this question with a loud "No!" We believe there isn't a fellowship on earth which lavishes more devoted care upon its individual members; surely there is none which more jealously guards the individual's right to think, talk, and act as he wishes. No A.A. can compel another to do anything; nobody can be punished or expelled. Our Twelve Steps to recovery are suggestions; the Twelve Traditions which guarantee A.A.'s unity contain not a single "Don't." They repeatedly say "We ought . . ." but never "You must!"

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 129

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Success has nothing to do with what you gain in life or accomplish for yourself. It's what you do for others." ~ Danny Thomas
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 01-05-2023, 06:10 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 5

Prayer of Renewal

Dear God,
I pray for your encouragement to light my path today.
I humbly ask for a renewal of hope within me.
Forgive me for my times of doubt and for getting caught up in self pity.
Lord, I pray for someone to help today.
Put them before me and help me to make a difference in their life.
I pray about my impatience and anxiety.
Lord, calm me down: steady me.
Please guide every step I take and every decision I must make today.
Watch over me and keep me from harm.
Amen.

~ C. L. Murphy 2015

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Until we came into A.A. most of us had tried desperately to stop drinking.

We were filled with the delusion that we could drink like our friends. We tried time and again to take it or leave it, but we could do neither. We always lapsed into ceaseless, unhappy drinking. Families, friends, and employers threw up their hands in hurt bewilderment, in despair, and finally in disgust. We wanted to stop. We realized that every reason for drinking was only a crazy excuse.

So ............

Have I given up every excuse for drinking?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Progress

Our program speaks of spiritual progress, not perfection. We can take all the time we need. Our bottom line is steady progress. We can ask ourselves, "Am I a little more spiritual than I was a year ago? A month ago?" If the answer is yes, we're doing great. If the answer is no, we should look at why.
Our illness pushes us to be perfect. In recovery, we learn that we are free to be what we are---human. Even the world's fastest runners are average in most other areas of their lives.. This is okay. Remember, "spiritual progress, not perfection."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Loneliness to Solitude

As the sober weeks go by, we can enjoy and treasure the few moments of solitude we are able to find in the rush and hurry of life today. When we cease to fear loneliness and begin to cherish and use our solitude to advantage, we have come a long way. We realize a little solitude is necessary to think and to try to work some of the Steps. In solitude, we take our inventories. In solitude, we admit to ourselves the exact nature of our wrongs. In solitude, our spirits seek that Power greater than we are; in solitude, we seek through prayer and meditation to be aware of God's will for us.

Came to Believe Page 109

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“Progress not perfection… you can’t be perfect everything… but you can gain progress on a daily basis.” ~ Court McGee

“Progress requires setbacks; the only sure way to avoid failure is not to try.” ~ Henry Spencer
Old 01-06-2023, 06:25 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 6

Morning Prayer

God, thank you for the gift of family and friends.
Holding them in my heart is one of the most precious things I can never get tired of.
Bless everyone, for they deserve all the goodness You have given to me.
If I may do something wrong today, please forgive me.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We tried to understand our alcoholic problem, wondering what was the cause of our strange obsession.

Many of us took special treatments, hospitalization, even confinement in institutions. In every case, the relief was only temporary. We tried through crazy excuses to convince ourselves that we knew why we drank, but we went on regardless. Finally drinking had gone far beyond even a habit. We had become alcoholics, men and women who had been destroying themselves against their own will.

So ............

Am I completely free from my alcoholic obsession?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Truth

Working the Twelve Steps helps us learn the truth. As we struggle with Step Four, we learn the truth about ourselves. We learn even more about ourselves by doing Steps Eight and Ten. When we admit the truth about ourselves, things come into focus. Big changes happen.
As a result, we can see other people more clearly. We see bad sides in people we thought were perfect. We see good sides in people we hate. We start to know that everyone has to work hard to find what’s right for them. No one knows all the answers. In short, we begin to trust others who also are looking for the truth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Describing Spiritual Principles

Stress the spiritual feature freely. If the man be agnostic or atheist, make it emphatic that he does not have to agree with your conception of God. He can choose any conception he likes, provided it makes sense to him. The main thing is that he be willing to believe in a Power greater than himself and that he live by spiritual principles.

When dealing with such a person, you had better use everyday language to describe spiritual principles. There is no use arousing any prejudice he may have against certain theological terms and conceptions about which he may already be confused. Don't raise such issues, no matter what your own convictions are.

Alcoholics Anonymous page 93

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“If you can change your mind, you can change your life.” ~ William James
Old 01-07-2023, 02:40 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 7

Prayer to Restore

Lord,
Replace the tension within me with relaxation.
Replace the turbulence within me with calm.
Replace the anxiety within me with a quiet confidence.
Replace the fear within me with a strong faith.
Replace the bitterness within me with the sweetness.
Replace the darkness within me with a glowing light.
Replace the coldness within me with gentle warmth.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We had become hopelessly sick people; spiritually, emotionally, and physically.

The power that controlled us was greater than ourselves--it was alcoholic drinking. Many drinkers have said: "I hadn't gone that far; I hadn't lost my job on account of drink; I still had my family; I managed to keep out of jail. True, I took too much sometimes and I guess I managed to make quite an a$$ of myself when I did, but I still thought I could control my drinking. I didn't really believe that I was an alcoholic."

So ............

If I was one of these, have I fully changed my mind?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Help

Often in the past, we acted like we didn't need anyone. It takes courage to let others help us.
As we get better, our courage grows. We invite people into our lives. We help others, and we let others help us.
We will learn to let others help us if we work our program. Why? Because we need others to stay sober. When we have a problem, we talk about it in our group. When we need a shoulder to cry on, we call a friend or our sponsor. Over time, our relationships become one of the biggest rewards of recovery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Open Mind

To get sober and to stay sober, all you really need is a truly open mind. Just resign from the debating society and quit bothering yourself with such deep questions as whether it was the hen or the egg that came first. Again I say, all you need is the open mind.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 26

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“We are not always aware of the help we may give by accepting aid, that in this way we may establish a foothold for contact.” ~ Finn Carling

“Accepting help is its own kind of strength.” ~ Kiera Cass
Old 01-08-2023, 07:01 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 8

Lord Help Me Today

Lord,
Just for today.
Please give me strength when I am weak, love when I feel forsaken,
courage when I am afraid, wisdom when I feel foolish, comfort when I am alone,
hope when I feel rejected, and peace when I am in turmoil.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

How seriously do I take my obligations to A.A.?

Have I taken all the good I can get out of it and then let my obligations slide? Or do I constantly feel a deep debt of gratitude and a deep sense of loyalty to the whole A.A. movement? Am I not only grateful but also proud to be a part of such a wonderful fellowship, which is doing such marvelous work among alcoholics? Am I glad to be a part of the great work that A.A. is doing and do I feel a deep obligation to carry on that work at every opportunity?

So ............

Do I still feel that I owe A.A. my loyalty and devotion?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Pain

We got into a lot of trouble trying to avoid pain. We used alcohol to avoid pain. We didn't want to accept pain as a fact of life.
We can't avoid pain, but now we have the program. The program teaches us how to talk about our pain. The program teaches how to turn over our pain to our Higher Power.
We don't have to be alone when we face pain. We have friends to go to. Before, when we hurt, we ran to alcohol.
Now, when we hurt, we run to the comfort of our sponsor and our program friends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Humility

On his desk, Dr. Bob had a plaque defining humility:
"Perpetual quietness of heart.
It is to have no trouble. It is never to be fretted or vexed, irritable or sore;
to wonder at nothing that is done to me, to feel nothing done against me.
It is to be at rest when nobody praises me, and when I am blamed or despised,
it is to have a blessed home in myself where I can go in and shut the door
and kneel to my Father in secret and be at peace, as in a deep sea of calmness,
when all around and about is seeming trouble."

Dr. Bob and the Good Oldtimers, Page 222

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips." ~ Oliver Goldsmith
Old 01-09-2023, 06:02 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 9

To Serve Prayer

God,
Help us to use the gifts you give us
for the people who need us.
Help us to see their need and, inspired by you,
reach beyond ourselves,
beyond our institutions,
to the very margins and bring all to you, the center.
May all we do be in preparation to serve more fully.
Send your Spirit to keep us aglow with the desire to serve others.

~ Author Unknown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

In A.A. alcoholics find a way to solve their personality problems.

They do this by recovering three things. First, they recover their personal integrity. They pull themselves together. They get honest with themselves and with other people. They face themselves and their problems honestly, instead of running away. They take a personal inventory of themselves to see where they really stand. Then they face the facts instead of making excuses for themselves.

So ............

Have I recovered my integrity?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Living

We often tell ourselves we want to be more peaceful, more in touch with our Higher Power. In other words, we want to become more spiritual. Acting as spiritual people is hard. Tho often, we choose the easy way. We make a nasty comment even if we know it'll only make things worse.
We say we have a program for living. Are we living our program? We'll find the answer in our behavior. Sober people act in sober ways. We attend meetings regularly. We study spiritual ideas. We work to bring joy to our lives and the lives of others. Just as we know a good friend by the way he or she behaves, we know a sober person by the way he or she behaves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joy and Peace

I have had my share of problems, heartaches, and disappointments, because that is life, but also I have known a great deal of joy and a peace that is the handmaiden of an inner freedom. I have a wealth of friends and, with my AA friends, an unusual quality of fellowship. For, to these people, I am truly related. First, through mutual pain and despair, and later through mutual objectives and newfound faith and hope.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 276

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“When you pray for anyone you tend to modify your personal attitude toward him.” ~ Norman Vincent Peale
Old 01-10-2023, 06:19 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 10

Prayer to Achieve Goals

God,
Thank you for waking me up this morning. Thank you Lord for giving me life and strength. Lord I ask for forgiveness of sin, all my mistakes I pray you have mercy. Help me to forgive others too. Draw me closer to you and nothing shall separate me from your love today.
God help me to achieve all my goals and let them be in line with your plans. If there is an adjustment you would love me to make, God don’t hesitate to let me know so that I won’t waste my time chasing the wind. Let your will be done.
Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

The length of time of our sobriety is not as important as its quality.

A person who has been in A.A. for a number of years may not be in as good mental condition as a person who has only been in a few months. It is a great satisfaction to have been an A.A. member for a long time and we often mention it. It may sometimes help the newer members, because they may say to themselves, "If they can do it, I can do it." And yet the older members must realize that as long as they live, they are only one drink away from a drunk.

So ............

What is the quality of my sobriety?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Self Acceptance

We sometimes find it difficult to accept a compliment. We may feel we don't deserve such attention, and point out reasons why the compliment is untrue. When we act this way, we show a lack of love for ourselves.

God teaches us to love our neighbors as ourselves. Yet, before we can love anyone, we must believe we are worthy of the same love. We can stop hiding behind feelings of unworthiness. There's nothing stopping us but ourselves. Sometimes it takes courage to say thank you when we get a compliment. Let's exercise that courage, and each time we do, we'll find our self-love growing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Change

Let us never fear needed change. Certainly we have to discriminate between changes for worse and changes for better. But once a need becomes clearly apparent in an individual, in a group, or in AA as a whole, it has long since been found out that we cannot stand still and look the other way.

As Bill Sees It Page 115

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“I cannot change what I am unwilling to face.” ~ James Baldwin
Old 01-11-2023, 06:20 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 11

Prayer for Serenity & Peace

Give me the patience to be compassionate and helpful toward others and myself,
and to know when it is best to remain quiet.
Give me the clarity to be grateful for all that I have,
and to realize when I have something to give to others.
Give me the capacity to love and forgive others,
especially the ones who have wronged me.
Give me the serenity to find happiness and peace in each day.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

The way of A.A. is the way of fellowship.

We have read a good deal about fellowship and yet it is such an important part of the A.A. program that it seems we cannot think too much about it. Human beings were not meant to live alone. A hermit's life is not a normal or natural one. We all need to be by ourselves at times, but we cannot really live without the companionship of others. Our natures demand it. Our lives depend largely upon it. The fellowship of A.A. seems to us to be the best in the world.

So ............

Do I fully appreciate what the fellowship of A.A. means to me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Lovable

We all want to be loved. and no matter how much we're loved, we always want more.
How can we be lovable? What does the mean? Should we try to be perfect? Should we act cute and helpless? No, being lovable means that we act ourselves. We let others get to know us. When others love us, we enjoy it. We tell them. We let them know that their love isn't wasted on us, that it's important to us. We are lovable, and we are loved!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vigilance

Now that we're in AA and sober, winning back the esteem of our friends and business associates, we find that we still need to exercise special vigilance. As an insurance against the dangers of big-shot-ism, we can often check ourselves by remembering that we are today sober only by the grace of God and that any success we may be having is far more His success than ours.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 92

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Politeness and consideration for others is like investing pennies and getting dollars back."~ Thomas Sowell
Old 01-12-2023, 05:11 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 12

Ability to Speak Up Prayer

Lord,
I feel held back by my timidity and fear of what others think of me. In times when I should speak up, I remain silent. Help me to have confidence to be bold in saying what needs to be said. I ask that I have the courage to not let others talk over me. Please ease my fear that others will dislike me because of my words. Give me the wisdom to speak truthfully and sensitively. You are my source of boldness and strength.
Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We did not realize what real fellowship could be.

A drinking fellowship has a fatal fault. It is not based on a firm foundation. Most of it is on the surface. It is based mostly on the desire to use your companions for your own pleasure, and using others is a false foundation. Drinking fellowship has been praised in song and story. The "cup that cheers" has become famous as a means of companionship. But we realize that the higher centers of our brains are dulled by alcohol and such fellowship cannot be on the highest plane. It is at best only a substitute.

So ............

Do I see my drinking fellowship in its proper light?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Dry Drunk

Our life changed a lot when we stopped drinking. But this is only a start. We need to go further.
Our old attitudes can kill us, even if we aren't drinking any more. This is called a "dry drunk." If we're on a dry drunk, we've changed the way we act without changing the way we think.
Our program shows us how to change the way we think. And we change how we treat ourselves and others. We learn to live a new life based on love and care.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fear of Rejection

Almost without exception, my AA friends admitted that they had struggled with the same feelings. Some claimed that their fear of rejection stemmed from a lack of self-worth; some of the men laid the difficulty to feelings of inadequacy stimulated by years of drinking. It was also asserted that we couldn't stand the responsibility of being loved and so sought rejection in subtle ways. About the only thing that everyone agreed upon completely was that this problem, like our drinking problem, had a spiritual solution.

The Best of the Grapevine [Vol. 1] Page 16

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Most fears of rejection rest on the desire for approval from other people. Don't base your self-esteem on their opinions.” ~ Harvey Mackay
Old 01-13-2023, 05:23 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 13

Not Judging Others Prayer

Lord,
I have come to You for help. I am struggling with judging others.
Teach me how to pray for others when I realize they are struggling instead of judging them.
Help me to have a heart that shows compassion and mercy to people who are hurting.
I pray You would bless those whom I have judged and that Your grace would be real to them.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Some doctors think of the A.A. fellowship as group therapy.

This is a very narrow conception of the depth of the A.A. fellowship. Looking at it purely as a means of acquiring and holding sobriety, it is right as far as it goes. But it doesn't go far enough. Group therapy is directed toward the help that the individual receives from it. It is essentially selfish. It is using the companionship of other alcoholics only in order to stay sober ourselves. But this is only the beginning of real A.A. fellowship.

So ............

Do I deeply feel the true A.A. fellowship?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Trouble

We naturally wish to avoid pain and difficulty, but life experience and a measure of reflection show us that most of what comes our way is beyond our control. When we use trouble as our teacher, we develop the art of living. We are taking a spiritual approach, using our God as our guide. We can choose today to use our difficulties for our learning and growth.

We might ask, "What can I learn from this experience about myself as a man? How can I use this to strengthen myself for the future?" Serenity develops, not by eliminating life's difficulties, but by having a reliable relationship with our Higher Power in the midst of it all. I will try and use whatever comes my way as an opportunity for growth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Misery

It may seem incredible that these men are to become happy, respected, and useful once more. How can they rise out of such misery, bad repute and hopelessness? The practical answer is that since these things have happened among us, they can happen with you. Should you wish them above all else, and be willing to make use of our experience, we are sure they will come.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 153

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Repetition of the same thought or physical action develops into a habit which, repeated frequently enough, becomes an automatic reflex." ~ Norman Vincent Peale
Old 01-14-2023, 05:23 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 14

Encouraging Friends Prayer

Dear Lord,
I pray for my friends right now. I pray that you will help them with the struggles they are going through in this season. For you know exactly what they need at this moment. Draw near to them and let them feel your presence. Open their eyes, ears, and hearts to you. Help them have the discernment to hear your voice as you lead them in their next steps. Speak to them as they read your word and bring verses of encouragement and comfort to their attention. I pray that you will calm any fear or anxiety they may be feeling. Replace it with confidence. I pray that your guidance will be clear to them from this day forward. Amen.

~ Carrie Lowrance

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

One of the best things about the A.A. program is the peace of mind and serenity that it can bring us.

In our drinking days, we had no peace of mind or serenity. We had the exact opposite, a kind of turmoil and that "quiet desperation" we knew so well. The turmoil of our drinking days was caused partly by our physical suffering, the terrible hangovers, the cold sweats, the shakes and the jitters. But it was caused even more by our mental suffering, the loneliness, the feeling of inferiority, the lying, the remorse that every alcoholic understands.

So .............
Have I achieved more peace of mind?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

God's Will

Each day, ask God what God wants us to do today; then ask God to help. A simple request, but so profound and far reaching it can take us anywhere we need to go.

Listen: all that we want, all that we need, all the answers, all the help, all the good, all the love, all the healing, all the wisdom, all the fulfillment of desire is embodied in this simple request. We need to say no more than Thank You.

This Plan that has been made for us is not one of deprivation. It is one of fullness, joy, and abundance. Walk into it. See for yourself.

I will ask God to show me what God wants me to do for this day, and then ask for help to do that. I will trust that is sufficient to take me into light and joy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sharing

In spite of the great increase in the size and the span of this Fellowship, at its core it remains simple and personal. Each day, somewhere in the world, recovery begins when one alcoholic talks with another alcoholic, sharing experience, strength, and hope.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page xxii

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Love consists in sharing what one has and what one is with those one loves. Love ought to show itself in deeds more than in words." ~ Ignatius of Loyola (1491-1556)
Old 01-15-2023, 07:24 AM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 15

For Courage to Do Justice

Lord,
Open my eyes that I may see the needs of others
Open my ears that I may hear their cries;
Open my heart so that they need not be without succor**;
Let me not be afraid to defend the weak because of the anger of the strong,
Nor afraid to defend the poor because of the anger of the rich.
Show me where love and hope and faith are needed,
And use me to bring them to those places.
And so, open my eyes and my ears
That I may this coming day be able to do some work of peace for thee.

~ Alan Paton

**succor --- give assistance or aid to

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Do I realize that I do not know how much time I have left?

It may be later than I think. Am I going to do the things that I know I should do before my time runs out? By the way, what is my purpose for the rest of my life? Do I realize all I have to make up for in my past wasted life? Do I know that I am living on borrowed time and that I would not have even this much time left without A.A. and the grace of God?

So ............

Am I going to make what time I have left count for A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Living In The Present

How easily our minds jump from the present to the failings of the past or our fears about the future. We need to practice, with diligence, returning our minds to whatever the experience is at hand. A truly creative response to any situation can only be made when we are giving it our undivided attention.

All we have of life, all that it can offer us is here, now. If we close our mind to the present, this present, we'll only continue to do so when the tomorrow we dream of now becomes the present. I need to let go of the past and the future. My only reality is here, now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spiritual Beliefs

We, who have traveled this dubious path, beg you to lay aside prejudice, even against organized religion. We have learned that whatever the human frailties of various faiths may be, those faiths have given purpose and direction to millions. People of faith have a logical idea of what life is all about. Actually, we used to have no reasonable conception whatsoever. We used to amuse ourselves by cynically dissecting spiritual beliefs and practices when we might have observed that many spiritually-minded persons of all races, colors, and creeds were demonstrating a degree of stability, happiness and usefulness which we should have sought for ourselves.

~ Author Unknown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." ~ Herbert Spencer
Post New ThreadReply