Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Weekly Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Weekly Spiritual Meditations - 12/13

Do your best; let God do the rest.

There is a distance between believing the Truth and embodying that Truth. We may know that we are children of God with divine capacities, but until we act on that belief, it remains a foggy awareness. Using spiritual practices moves us from believing in God
to becoming aware of the reality of God moving in and through us. --Mary Manin Morrissey

God still works in our world through people who care.

When we respond to God, our lives are changed forever.

Life holds many good-byes for all of us; some are temporary, and some are not. All of them can be painful. God's word gives me comfort and hope, and God helps me each time I say good-bye to someone I love. Someday there will be no more good-byes for those who trust in Christ. --Mary Ellen Gudeman

God doesn't want shares of your life - He wants a controlling interest.

O God, when my faith gets over laden with dust, blow it clean with the wind of your Spirit. When my habits of obedience get stiff and rusty, anoint them with the oil of your Spirit. Restore the enthusiasm of my first love for you. --Eugene Peterson

"Life by the mile is a trial; by the inch it's a cinch."
In the past, we got into trouble when we thought we had to have our lives mapped out forever. That just did not work. We need only deal with the problems and joys of today. If we try to see too far ahead, we lose touch with the reality of the here and now. The Lord lets us know what we need to know when we need to know it. What seems impossible when looked at in total--writing a book, putting the children through college, abstaining for the rest of our lives--becomes manageable when worked at step by step, day by day. So many of the things we worry about never happen. How much better it is to concentrate our energies on the real demands and challenges of today, insignificant as they may seem. When we turn our lives over to our Higher Power, we trust Him to manage the master plan and to direct us in the small details of living each day. --Food For Thought

A young man had been to Wed. night Bible study. The pastor had shared about listening to God and obeying the Lord's voice. The young man couldn't help but wonder, "Does God still speak to people?" After service, he went out with some friends for coffee and pie and they discussed the message. Several different ones talked about how God had led them in different ways. It was about ten o'clock when the young man started driving home. Sitting in his car, he just began to pray, "God...If you still speak to people speak to me. I will listen. I will do my best to obey. "As he drove down the main street of his town, he had the
strangest thought to stop and buy a gallon of milk. He shook his head and said out loud, "God is that you?" He didn't get a reply and started on toward home. But again, the thought, buy a gallon of milk. The young man thought about Samuel and how he didn't recognize the voice of God, and how little Samuel ran to Eli. "Okay, God, in case that is you, I will buy the milk." It didn't seem like too hard a test of obedience. He could always use the milk. He stopped and purchased the gallon of milk and started off toward home. As he passed Seventh Street, he again felt the urge, "Turn down that street." This is crazy he thought and drove on past the intersection." Again, he felt that he should turn down Seventh Street. At the next intersection, he turned back and headed down Seventh, Half jokingly, he said out loud, "Okay, God I will." He drove several blocks, when suddenly, he felt like he should stop. He pulled over the curb and looked around. He was in a semi-commercial area of town. It wasn't the best but it wasn't the worst of neighborhoods either. The businesses were closed and most of the houses looked dark like the people were already in bed. Again, he sensed something, "Go and give the milk to the people in the house across the street." The young man looked at the house. It was dark and it looked like the people were either gone or they were already asleep. He started to open the door and then sat back in the car seat. "Lord, this is insane. Those people are asleep and if I wake them up, they are going to be mad and I will look stupid." Again, he felt like he should go and give them the milk. Finally, he opened the door. "Okay God, if this is you, I will go to the door and I will give them the milk. If you want me to look like a crazy person, okay I want to be obedient. I guess that will count for something but if they don't answer right away, I am out of here. He walked across the street and rang the bell. He could hear some noise inside. A man's voice yelled out, "Who is it? What do you want?" Then the door opened before the young man could get away. The man was standing there in his jeans and t-shirt. He looked like he just got out of bed. He had a strange look on his face and he didn't seem too happy to have a stranger standing on his doorstep. "What is it?" The young man thrust out the gallon of milk. "Here I brought this to you." The man took the milk and rushed down the hallway, speaking loudly in Spanish. Then from down the hall came a woman carrying the milk toward the kitchen. The man was following her holding a baby. The baby was crying. The man had tears streaming down his face. The man began speaking and half-crying, "We were just praying. We had some big bills this month and we ran out of money. We didn't have any milk for our baby. I was just praying and asking God to show me how to get some milk." His wife in the kitchen yelled out, "I asked him to send an Angel with some milk. Are you an Angel?" The young man reached into his wallet and pulled out all the money he had on him and put it in the man's hand. He turned and walked back toward his car and the tears were streaming down his face. He knew that God still answers prayers. Stop telling God how big your storm is. Instead, tell the storm how big your God is!" --Author Unknown

Matthew 5:3-10 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”
A boy went into a pet shop, looking for a puppy. The storeowner showed him a litter in a box. The boy looked at the puppies. He picked each one up, examined it, and put it back into the box. After several minutes, he walked back to the owner and said, “I picked one out. How much will it cost?” The man gave him the price, and the boy promised to the owner to be back in a few days with the money…
The boy went to work – weeding, washing windows, cleaning yards. He worked hard and saved his money. When he had enough for the puppy, he returned to the store. He walked up to the counter and laid down a pocketful of wadded bills. The store owner sorted and counted the cash… “All right, son, you can go get your puppy.” The boy reached into the back of the box, pulled out a skinny dog with a limp leg, and started to leave.
The owner stopped him. “Don’t take that puppy,” he objected. “He’s crippled. He can’t play. He’ll never run with you. He can’t fetch. Get one of the healthy pups.” “No thank you, sir,” the boy replied. “This is exactly the kind of dog I’ve been looking for.” As the boy turned to leave, the storeowner started to speak but remained silent. Suddenly he understood. For extending from the bottom of the boy’s trousers was a brace – a brace for his crippled leg.
Why did the boy want the dog? Because he knew how it felt. And he knew it was very special…
Jesus knows how you feel. You’re under the gun at work? Jesus knows how you feel. You’ve got more to do than is humanly possible? So did he. You’ve got children who make a “piranha hour” out of your dinner hour? Jesus knows what that’s like. People take more from you than they give? Jesus understands…
When you struggle, he listens. When you yearn, he responds. When you question, he hears. He has been there. You’ve heard that before, but you need to hear it again… He understands you with the compassion of the crippled boy… And, like the boy, he paid a great price to take you home. (From IN THE EYE OF THE STORM by Max Lucado)
Who is great in the eyes of God? God honors the lost, the weak, the humble, children, and the merciful. Status in the eyes of society, government, or even the church does not equate to status in God’s eyes. Refuse to focus on your weaknesses even if people keep reminding you of them. Instead, sing a little about God’s great blessings to you – especially his gift of eternal life.
Prayer: Praise God for being the Lord of All. Confess to Him the times when you have been so focused on yourself and your problems that you’ve lost sight of His sovereignty. Thank Him for giving you the most precious gift of salvation, a gift that you’ll never lose. Ask Him to help you keep your focus on Him and off of yourself and to help you see others the way He does. --The Voice

BEING POSITIONED
Wishing to encourage her young son's progress on the piano, a mother took the boy to a Paderewski concert.
After they were seated, the mother spotted a friend in the audience and walked down the aisle to greet her.
Seizing the opportunity to explore the wonders of the concert hall, the young boy rose and eventually explored his way through a door marked "NO ADMITTANCE."
When the house lights dimmed and the concert was about to begin, the mother returned to her seat and discovered that her son was missing. Suddenly, the curtains parted and spotlights focused on the impressive Steinway on stage. In utter dismay, the mother saw her little boy sitting at the keyboard, where he innocently began picking out "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star."
At that moment, the great piano master made his entrance, quickly moved to the piano, and whispered in the boy's ear, "Don't quit. Keep playing."
Then leaning over, Paderewski reached down with his left hand and began filling in a bass part. Soon his right arm reached around to the other side of the child and he added a running obligato. Together, the old master and the young novice transformed a frightening situation into a wonderfully creative experience. The audience was mesmerized.
That's the way it is with God. What we can accomplish on our own is hardly noteworthy. We try our best, but the results aren't exactly graceful flowing music. With the hand of the Master, our life's work truly can be beautiful.
So the next time you set out to accomplish great feats, listen carefully and you can hear the voice of the Master, whispering in your ear, "Don't quit. Keep playing."
Feel His loving arms around you. Know that His strong hands are playing the concerto of your life.
Remember, God doesn't call the equipped; He equips the called. Your worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of God's grace.
And your best days are never so good that you are beyond the need of God's grace. --Author Unknown

Frog
I was told a story about a lady in the hospital who was near death when an area Chaplain came to visit her. This Chaplain was a very young female with long blond hair. She listened to the lady who was ill and left her a small gift for comfort. It was a tiny ceramic frog. The next day one of the people from the lady's church came to visit. The lady told her friend about the beautiful young Chaplain who had come to visit her. The friend was so impressed with the way the lady had improved and felt the need to talk to the young Chaplain. In her search to find the young gal, she was repeatedly reassured that the chaplains are never very young and that there was never a gal that fit the description given.
Upon returning to the lady in the hospital, a visiting nurse entered the room and noticed the ceramic frog. The nurse made the comment "I see you have a guardian angel with you." As she held the little frog. We asked why she made the comment and we were informed that the frog stood for:
(F) Fully (R) Rely (O) On (G) God
To The World You Might Be One Person; But To One Person You Might Be the World. --Author Unknown

10 RULES FOR A BLESSED DAY Author Unknown
1. TODAY I WILL NOT STRIKE BACK . . . If someone is rude, if someone is impatient, if someone is unkind, I will not respond in a like manner.
2. TODAY I WILL ASK GOD TO BLESS MY 'ENEMY'. . . If I come across someone who treats me harshly or unfairly, I will quietly ask God to bless that individual. I understand "enemy" could be a family member, neighbor, co-worker or stranger.
3. TODAY I WILL BE CAREFUL ABOUT WHAT I SAY . . . I will carefully choose and guard my words being certain that I do not spread gossip.
4. TODAY I WILL GO THE EXTRA MILE . . . I will find ways to help share the burden of another person.
5. TODAY I WILL FORGIVE . . . I will forgive any hurts or injuries that come my way.
6. TODAY I WILL DO SOMETHING KIND FOR SOMEONE, (BUT I WILL DO IT IN SECRET . . . ) I will reach out anonymously and bless the life of another.
7. TODAY I WILL TREAT OTHERS THE WAY I WISH TO BE TREATED . . . I will practice the golden rule. "Do Unto others as I would have them do unto me"- with EVERYONE I encounter.
8. TODAY I WILL RAISE THE SPIRITS OF SOMEONE WHO IS DISCOURAGED . . . My smile, my words, my expression of support, can make the difference to someone who is wrestling with life.
9. TODAY I WILL NURTURE MY BODY . . . I will eat less . . . I will eat only healthy foods. I will thank God for my body.
10. TODAY I WILL GROW SPIRITUALLY . . . I will spend a little more time in prayer today. I will begin reading something spiritual or inspirational; I will find a quiet place (at some point during this day) and listen to God's voice.
Luke 10:27 He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"
Remember, today is a gift from God so treat it preciously

A Glimpse of God
IT was a cold morning in February, and heavily falling snow had covered the icy spots on the sidewalk. I was walking briskly to the doctor's office when my feet suddenly went out from under me, and I came crashing to the sidewalk. Excruciating pain kept me from getting up.
"O God, I need your help!" I prayed.
A moment later a man came running. "I saw you fall, so I parked my car and came as fast as I could," he said. He inquired about my condition and phoned for an ambulance. Seconds later, a woman knelt beside me and spoke tenderly to me.
Without realizing it, they were the answer to my prayer by coming to me, listening to me, offering words of comfort and hope, and staying with me until the ambulance arrived.
In moments of suffering we see a glimpse of God in the people who show love, compassion, and hope. As believers we are called to do the same. --Harold Gniewotta

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
The process of restoration has begun. Move with it in faith that what has begun will come to a full completion. Trust Me to help you move forward with strength and in the power of My Spirit, says the Lord. Refuse to allow fear to derail your progress. Stand unwavering and be resolute. Deuteronomy 3:24 O Lord GOD, You have begun to show Your servant Your greatness and Your mighty hand, for what god is there in heaven or on earth who can do anything like Your works and Your mighty deeds?

If you will release the issues of life and trust Me, I will release you from bondage. And, you will experience more spiritual freedom than you ever thought possible. It is My desire that you be absolutely free--free to be all that I have created you to be and to do all that I have called you to do. Let go and be free, says the Lord. You will never be the same. Proverbs 4:23 Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life.

Distraction is your enemy. You must work twice as hard as in any other season to keep your spiritual focus. Refuse to give in to the noise and the frantic pull of obligations. Stay quiet and maintain composure. Do whatever it takes to gain eternal perspective, and separate yourself from everything that steals spiritual life and vitality, says the Lord. You belong to Me! 2 Peter 1:3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue.

Stay the course. Continue to move ahead at a steady pace with your eyes fixed on your destination. Refuse to be drawn away from that which is vitally important to your spiritual well-being. Even as many things demand your attention and resources, you must continually guard your heart, says the Lord. Maintain integrity and be true to yourself. Psalms 26:11 But as for me, I will walk in my integrity; redeem me and be merciful to me.

In a vision I saw a small child running up and down a flight of stairs. It seemed to be an effortless and joyful exercise. Then, I saw the same child swinging in a home-made rope swing hung from a tree. Again, the swing took the child on a long and high path that was both exhilarating and liberating. And, I heard the LORD say, "Come to Me as this child, and allow Me to restore innocence and purity in you. I want you to be able to ascend and descend effortlessly as you access the spiritual realm. Be released into the liberty that is available to you by My Spirit." Luke 18:17 "Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it."

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
I am calling you into a time of jubilation and praise for all that I have brought you through. Take your stand in an attitude of thanksgiving, and you will be positioned to receive the blessings of this season. I dwell in the midst of those who praise Me with a whole heart. You are in a time of transition that will move you out of heartache into joy and liberty. Let your faith be established in this prophetic interlude between seasons as you wait for direction and instruction, says the Lord.

"Today Is The Day To Live"
So many times we put off till tomorrow
What we can do today
We say some other time
Some other day
But today is the day to live
The day to do the many things left undone
The day that we give what we have to give
The day to play and have some fun
Life is for the living
Today reach out to someone who is in need
Touch a hand, change a life
Give gifts that keep on giving
Call family, call friends
Tell someone how much you love them
Today spread joy, cheer and happiness
Let your light shine its brightest
Today give the gift of love
Share the many blessings and gifts
God has given you
Today live and dare to be you
Written by: Tammy B. 7/9/01

Twilight
Late at night, stars shine bright.
I look at them, with much delight.
I know that God, who made all things.
Created those stars, for us to see.
He made the nights, He made the days.
He gave the sun, its glowing rays.
How could one man, get all this done?
With a little help, from His only Son.
Jesus Christ, paid the way.
For us to go, to Heaven one day.
Up in the sky, or wherever it's at.
It's maker is great, and that's a fact.
--Amanda Jones

He who guards his mouth and his tongue, guards his soul from troubles. Proverbs 21:23

Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proverbs 16:24

A man's pride will bring him low, but a humble spirit will obtain honor. Proverbs 29:23

Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Hebrews 12:10-11

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. 1 Corinthians 10:13

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:12-13

For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless. O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you. Psalm 84:11-12

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Ephesians 2:8-10

A Change of Plans by Steve May
The plane had already begun its descent into Porto Velho, Rondonia, Brasil. I could see the lights of the city. We were no more than five, maybe ten, minutes away.
Then I felt the plane lift again, and the pilot gave us a quick explanation: We would not be landing in Porto Velho tonight. Instead, we would be rerouted to another airport an hour away, where we would wait out the storm.
Storm? What storm? I couldn't see any storm. Why did there have to be a delay, anyway? I wanted to land now. It was late. I was tired. I had been traveling all day. I was ready to eat a real meal and sleep in a comfortable bed. Instead, I spent the night stranded in a hot airport in the Amazon, eating snacks from a vending machine and trying to sleep in a plastic chair.
Everything had looked fine from my window seat, but the aviators could see more than I could see, and they knew more about the situation than I could possibly know. The decision to delay our arrival protected us all from a dangerous situation. Annoying, this change of plans. But for the best.
Delays and re-directions happen all the time, almost every day, in one way or another. Things don't go the way we thought they would, or the way we want them to. Those who have placed their lives in God's loving hands see these annoyances differently: we know that God is in control, that he is causing all things to work together for our good and for his glory. The tiniest delay could be diverting you from the greatest disaster. Or it could just be God's way of preparing you for his perfect timing.
When life inconveniently re-directs your plans, and it will certainly will sooner or later, remember that God is in the details. He is leading you where he wants you to be.
The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen. (2 Timothy 4:18)

Grant us the grace and strength, O God, to serve you willingly and faithfully at all times. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.

Read Through The Bible
1 Chronicles 29
Offerings for Building the Temple
1 Furthermore King David said to all the assembly: “My son Solomon, whom alone God has chosen, is young and inexperienced; and the work is great, because the temple is not for man but for the Lord God. 2 Now for the house of my God I have prepared with all my might: gold for things to be made of gold, silver for things of silver, bronze for things of bronze, iron for things of iron, wood for things of wood, onyx stones, stones to be set, glistening stones of various colors, all kinds of precious stones, and marble slabs in abundance. 3 Moreover, because I have set my affection on the house of my God, I have given to the house of my God, over and above all that I have prepared for the holy house, my own special treasure of gold and silver: 4 three thousand talents of gold, of the gold of Ophir, and seven thousand talents of refined silver, to overlay the walls of the houses; 5 the gold for things of gold and the silver for things of silver, and for all kinds of work to be done by the hands of craftsmen. Who then is willing to consecrate himself this day to the Lord?” 6 Then the leaders of the fathers’ houses, leaders of the tribes of Israel, the captains of thousands and of hundreds, with the officers over the king’s work, offered willingly. 7 They gave for the work of the house of God five thousand talents and ten thousand darics of gold, ten thousand talents of silver, eighteen thousand talents of bronze, and one hundred thousand talents of iron. 8 And whoever had precious stones gave them to the treasury of the house of the Lord, into the hand of Jehiel the Gershonite. 9 Then the people rejoiced, for they had offered willingly, because with a loyal heart they had offered willingly to the Lord; and King David also rejoiced greatly.
David’s Praise to God
10 Therefore David blessed the Lord before all the assembly; and David said: “Blessed are You, Lord God of Israel, our Father, forever and ever. 11 Yours, O Lord, is the greatness, The power and the glory, The victory and the majesty; For all that is in heaven and in earth is Yours; Yours is the kingdom, O Lord, nd You are exalted as head over all. 12 Both riches and honor come from You, And You reign over all. In Your hand is power and might; In Your hand it is to make great And to give strength to all. 13 “Now therefore, our God, We thank You And praise Your glorious name. 14 But who am I, and who are my people, That we should be able to offer so willingly as this? For all things come from You, And of Your own we have given You. 15 For we are aliens and pilgrims before You, As were all our fathers; Our days on earth are as a shadow, And without hope. 16 “O Lord our God, all this abundance that we have prepared to build You a house for Your holy name is from Your hand, and is all Your own. 17 I know also, my God, that You test the heart and have pleasure in uprightness. As for me, in the uprightness of my heart I have willingly offered all these things; and now with joy I have seen Your people, who are present here to offer willingly to You. 18 O Lord God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, our fathers, keep this forever in the intent of the thoughts of the heart of Your people, and fix their heart toward You. 19 And give my son Solomon a loyal heart to keep Your commandments and Your testimonies and Your statutes, to do all these things, and to build the temple for which I have made provision.” 20 Then David said to all the assembly, “Now bless the Lord your God.” So all the assembly blessed the Lord God of their fathers, and bowed their heads and prostrated themselves before the Lord and the king.
Solomon Anointed King
21 And they made sacrifices to the Lord and offered burnt offerings to the Lord on the next day: a thousand bulls, a thousand rams, a thousand lambs, with their drink offerings, and sacrifices in abundance for all Israel. 22 So they ate and drank before the Lord with great gladness on that day. And they made Solomon the son of David king the second time, and anointed him before the Lord to be the leader, and Zadok to be priest. 23 Then Solomon sat on the throne of the Lord as king instead of David his father, and prospered; and all Israel obeyed him. 24 All the leaders and the mighty men, and also all the sons of King David, submitted themselves to King Solomon. 25 So the Lord exalted Solomon exceedingly in the sight of all Israel, and bestowed on him such royal majesty as had not been on any king before him in Israel.
The Close of David’s Reign
26 Thus David the son of Jesse reigned over all Israel. 27 And the period that he reigned over Israel was forty years; seven years he reigned in Hebron, and thirty-three years he reigned in Jerusalem. 28 So he died in a good old age, full of days and riches and honor; and Solomon his son reigned in his place. 29 Now the acts of King David, first and last, indeed they are written in the book of Samuel the seer, in the book of Nathan the prophet, and in the book of Gad the seer, 30 with all his reign and his might, and the events that happened to him, to Israel, and to all the kingdoms of the lands.

"Lord, thanks for working on me! You never discard or throw me away as junk; you restore, renew and reveal to me Your everlasting skill in "making it over" with Your skillful hands....I place myself in YOUR carpenter shop this Christmas--fix what's wrong, make ME anew, and may I display the beauty of your work. In Jesus' Name, Amen."

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply