Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Spiritual Meditations Post spiritual meditations here to read and feel free to share.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 10-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Growing In Grace

Growing In Grace Part 01 - Go

by Gail Rodgers
She stood on the Mount of Olives. A faint breeze touched her cheeks. The tour guide’s voice faded as she took in her surroundings. This was the very place Jesus stood when He gave parting instructions to His followers!

Her eyes took in the landscape below and the beautiful city of Jerusalem. She recalled the Scripture of Jesus weeping over that city. What great compassion He had for those whose hearts were far from Him. Her heart was stirred.
The tour guide’s voice interrupted her thoughts. He was reading the final words of Jesus just before He returned to Heaven after His resurrection from the dead. It’s “The Great Commission” from Matthew 28:18 - 20…
“Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:18 - 20
She was challenged by the question that came next. “Imagine”, said the tour guide, “that you are looking into the face of Jesus as He prepares to leave this earth. Lovingly and with longing in His eyes, He asks you, “What part of the Great Commission don’t you understand?” It’s a thought-provoking question as we bustle through our hectic days. Do I care about bringing people to know Jesus?
As my friend shared her Mount of Olives experience with me I recalled the words of a wise preacher. His statement left its imprint on my heart many years ago. He said… “If your life as a Christian is not lived out on the wavelength of the Great Commission – then your life is irrelevant to God’s plan for change in our world.”
Irrelevant! Not a word I want to describe my life as a Christian. I want to understand this Great Commission in a fresh way and live my life empowered by God to share His love in my daily world.
As you go today, through the mundane and the specific, be challenged to allow the Holy Spirit to continually flow through you. As your life touches others with the compassion of Jesus you will be blessed. It’s where you will find meaning. You were created to be relevant to God’s plan for change in our world!
prayer & reflection

Father God,
As I go about my day give me a fresh focus on what it means to “go” and make followers of You. Let my life become more relevant to Your purposes for me and for the world around me. Help me today.
I pray in Jesus’ name, amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing In Grace Part 02 - An Unexpected Miracle

by Gail Rodgers
Imagine her packing 5 small barley loaves and 2 small fish and handing them to her young son. Probably not yet a teenager, the boy was anxious to go and join the crowd following Jesus. She would have had no idea what a life-changing event this would be for her son as he left to join the crowd of onlookers.

The story of the miracle of the feeding of the 5000 is a familiar one. It was an exciting time 2000 years ago when great crowds of people followed Jesus because they saw miraculous healing of the sick. (John 6:1-14)
When the crowd became tired and hungry Jesus asked what food they had available. That young boy’s lunch was used in a miracle that we still read today.
I wonder if the boy’s Mom was in the crowd that day. A mother would have been concerned about the heat and the long day. She would have insisted her child eat the lunch she had prepared. She would want her child nourished. When Jesus asked his disciples about feeding the crowd would she have drawn the little boy back as he stepped forward to offer Andrew his own lunch? Mother logic could possibly have blocked a miracle.
The little boy did step forward. He did offer his small lunch to the disciple of Jesus and the rest is history. Even Andrew wondered how so little food could even make an impact with this large crowd. Yet a miracle awaited. Jesus took the boy’s loaves, gave thanks and had them distributed to the crowd of over 5000!
Imagine the exciting story that boy went home with! There had even been twelve baskets of leftovers. The little boy must have been changed forever as he saw his small resource used greatly in the hands of Jesus. What a miracle!
As moms, it is often easy to let logic try to over-ride the sometimes-radical faith of our children. It’s been our job to stabilize, rationalize and energize our children as they have grown. To release them to be Jesus followers is not always easy. Sometimes it will look to us like they are giving up the very thing they need. Trusting Jesus with their hearts and their lives is what we are called to do.
“Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.” Luke 18:16
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Thank you for recording this amazing little story for all time. Thank you for the hidden lesson of the mom who let her son go to follow Jesus. Help me today to release my children to You, whatever their ages, so that I might not hinder any work You are doing in their lives. Hold my mother heart in your hand.
In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing In Grace Part 03 - Work is Killing Me

by Gail Rodgers
Kristy hung up the phone and sighed. She hated her job. It had been okay at first and she was enjoying the environment and the people. But something changed, politics in the office; projects that did not go well; price hikes and very little affirmation among co-workers or bosses.

The atmosphere was tense and relationships were strained. Even the client she just spoke to left her with an earful of complaints and criticism. She felt powerless to change the dynamics. Others were in charge. Yet she knew her spirit was being affected by the negative surroundings.
Kristy knew she only had power to change herself and her reactions to her environment. She asked God to give her wisdom to know what to do.
God is always faithful to answer the earnest request for wisdom. He spoke to Kristy through His Word as she took time to read it that night.
The words painted a picture of encouragement for her.
“But You are a shield around me, O LORD; You bestow glory on me and lift up my head.” Psalm 3:3
Kristy thought about it. Here God was pictured as a shield around her. She thought of her tattered spirit and how she did indeed need a shield around her in the negative environment at work.
  • She asked God to shield her spirit so the earful of complaints and the harsh water cooler talk would not penetrate her heart and mind. She didn’t want to take them home with her.
  • She asked for wisdom to respond in a manner that was fair and with kindness.
  • She asked God to keep her heart soft and to help her see beyond the issues of the moment.
  • She asked Him to be the one who encouraged her heart and lifted her head when there was little affirmation or appreciation around her.
  • She asked God to keep her mindful of His help and protection as she worked day by day.
With a thankful heart Kristy knew she would get through this season at work. With God as her shield she knew she would be sustained through this challenging time.
prayer & reflection

Father in Heaven,
Thank you that You are a shield around me. Help me to rely on Your strength and protection as I face the challenging people and situations in my life.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing In Grace Part 04 - You are Loved

by Gail Rodgers
You are precious in His sight. Today… yes, right now!

“I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you maybe filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.” Ephesians 3:17b-19
prayer & reflection

Father in Heaven,
What wonderful understanding Your word gives me. Today I ask that You would give me strength in my inner being. Sometimes I feel so fragile and weak. Those around me may not know or see but You do and You reach out to strengthen me from Your vast store of riches. Help me to remember that today I have the living Christ dwelling within me. Remind me that this is my Source today in all I need to face or do.
Lord God, help me today to grasp how very much You love me. Help me to see in fresh ways how I am grounded by that love and rooted in it as a sure anchor for my life. Help me to believe it! What a heritage we share with other believers… this wonder of Your equipping love in our lives. How we need to remind each other of this strengthening power that we have access to through Your Spirit.
Today when I am tempted to fall into thinking thoughts that drag me down, remind me of this rich love that You pour over and into my life. Remind me, by Your Spirit, that it is wider and longer and higher and deeper than I can ever imagine. Let me feel wrapped and encased in that love today. Help me to grasp this truth when I am tempted to despair over my own limited abilities and resources.
Father, thank you that growing in this understanding of the riches of Your love will fill me up with a fullness and a completeness that can come from nothing else. Set me on a journey today to reply on You in every detail of my life. Let me live in the fullness of Your love today like never before. I ask this in the powerful name of Jesus, amen.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing In Grace Part 05 - You Choose

by Gail Rodgers
Little irritations can seem so big at times. The back up in traffic; the spilled milk; we all have our own list of little things that grate on us as we go through our day.

“How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose understanding rather than silver!” Proverbs 16:16
Stress experts tell us that the little stresses, which are short term and temporary, need to be managed and put behind us. If we let them become front and center in our minds they will accumulate and leave us unable to handle the larger stresses of life that come to us all from time to time.
It’s an emotional banking system really. Don’t spend your emotional energy on things that don’t matter in the long haul. Let them go. Listen to music during the traffic jam, just wipe up the milk, and give yourself a margin of time in your schedule so you aren’t always running to the max.
A friend asked me one day how I was doing. I sighed and said, “Really busy”. Her reply startled me. She said, “I guess that’s what you’re choosing.”
I didn’t like her reply but I thought about it. There was a lot in my life I didn’t have the final say on… but there was also a lot I was choosing. So I simply began to choose differently and it made a world of difference.
Try changing some small choices in your life…
  • Give yourself an extra 5 - 10 minutes in travel time to appointments.
  • Eliminate some activities outside of home that are unnecessary. Do you really need to be there?
  • Take time to look into the eyes of the people in your home when you speak to them.
  • Identify the little stresses and determine to keep them to size.
  • Say a prayer for strength as you need it.
“Spend your emotional energy wisely. Don’t waste it on non-essentials.”
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 10-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing In Grace Part 06 - Inject Hope

by Gail Rodgers
The heart of God to us, His children, is so caring and loving. He knew there would be times in our lives when our hearts are down and our spirits depleted. I’m convinced that is why He placed many encouragements in the Bible to help us in just those times.

I read one of them today and it occurred to me that if I followed through on the words of this Scripture it would impact my daily outlook in an incredible way.
Listen to these wise words from Psalm 92:1 & 2…
“It is good to praise the LORD and make music to your name O Most High, to proclaim your love in the morning and your faithfulness at night.” Psalm 92:1 & 2
God knew that we would need to be encouraged in very practical ways as we walk out the changes and challenges of our days. He said it’s a good thing to praise Him. He not only said it’s good to praise Him and to use music as part of our praise, but He also gives two very practical ways to do it.
Proclaim His love in the morning. Proclaim His faithfulness at night.
Imagine the impact on your daily outlook if you took a few minutes every morning to declare out loud how much the Lord loves you. To look in the mirror as you prepare for your day and thank the Lord for His loving care as you prepare to head into your day. Ask Him to remind you throughout the day of His love.
At night when you lay your head to rest on your pillow imagine the comfort and peace it would bring to recount 2 or 3 ways the Lord showed His faithfulness to you throughout the day. Think of how it would nurture the relationship with your spouse if you recounted these blessings of God’s faithfulness out loud.
To keep our days sandwiched between the morning proclamation of His love over you and the evening declaration of His faithfulness is a sure way to keep your heart in tune with His and to keep your attitudes adjusted throughout the day.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
You know just what I need. And I need to proclaim your love and faithfulness every day. I can so often fade from the deep realization of how much you do love and care for me every day. Open my mind to remember this simple way of praising You. Thank you for holding me close to Your heart today.
In Jesus’ strong name I pray, amen.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing in Grace Part 07 - Live As Children Of Light

by Gail Rodgers
This winter, in a far North community, I experienced 24-hour darkness for the first time. A deep respect grew in my heart for the people who live there year-round and simply take it in stride.

I received an e-mail from a friend there yesterday exclaiming, “The sun is back!” The days will lengthen rapidly now, and in four short months, the land that was shrouded in total darkness will experience total light. Children will run and play in the streets at midnight with the sun high in the sky. With the light comes new life to the village. With the light comes a freedom to run and play without the heavy clothes of winter and the fear of polar bears in the shadows.
Light dispels darkness. A Bible verse reminds us about this very thing.
“For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light.” ( Ephesians 5:8)
If you have received the forgiveness Jesus holds out to each one of us and have invited Him into your life, you have moved from darkness into light. Are you living today as a child of light?
Have you shed the heavy parka of guilt and shame? Have you kicked off the boots that make your feet feel leaden as you go your own way? Are you still wearing winter mittens that cause your hands to fumble as you try to do what God wants? Does your life feel encumbered by fear that came from the darkness but has no place now in the light?
As a child of the light you are called to freedom; freedom to run and play and dance in the Son. Freedom that comes as you ask daily to be filled with the Holy Spirit. Freedom to be who God created you to be and fulfilled in the very depths of your soul.
Ask Him today to fill you afresh with His Spirit. Ask Him today to help you shed the heavy clothes of winter that drag you down. He can help you break that habit or overcome that discouragement. He can give you wisdom and open new paths for your feet. He can help you rise above the fears you still carry of shadows in the dark. His Holy Spirit can fill you with His power to live life far beyond your own very best efforts. Today, live as a child of the light!
prayer & reflection

Heavenly Father,
Today I invite Your Holy Spirit into my life in a fresh and new way. I ask for Your help in understanding how to shed the heavy winter gear and the fears that linger so I can live in freedom. Fill me today, by the power of Your Holy Spirit, with everything I need for every step I take. Today I want to live as a child of the Light. Thank You that in You, this provision is possible.
In the strong name of Jesus I pray, Amen.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing In Grace Part 08 - Invited

by Gail Rodgers
Are you feeling parked in your faith and not moving forward as you would like? Take some time today to respond to God’s invitation to come to Him and find His rest.

In our busy days we often try to commune with God on the run. Carve out 20 minutes today to sit quietly and allow your heart to draw near to God through the following verses of truth. He will draw near to you. It’s a promise you can count on.
COME unto me all you who are weary and heavy burdened and I will give you rest…for your souls.” Matthew 11:28
1. C - CAST your concerns
“Cast all your cares on Him for He cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:7
Bring Him your unanswered question/self pity/ disappointment/ your distracted life.
2. O - OPEN your heart
“Don’t worry about anything but pray about everything. Tell God your needs and don’t forget to thank Him for His answers.” Phil 4:6&7
Ask for His truth to penetrate your heart and mind and open your heart completely, with all your doubts and reservations, to Him.
3. M - MAKE REQUEST
“Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” Hebrews 4:16
Lay aside your own best thinking and ask God to give you what He knows you need today. Thank Him for His mercy and grace in your time of need.
4. E - EXPECT
“May the God of Hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13
Let His peace and joy flow over you and spill out to those around you.
prayer & reflection

Lord God,
Today I want to sit in Your presence and let Your love settle over me. I need to draw near and feel Your presence and Your love. Speak to my heart as I allow each one of these verses to steep into my heart. Thank you that You are all I need today.
I pray this in the strong name of Jesus, amen.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing In Grace Part 09 - LED by His Spirit

by Gail Rodgers
Think about your past week for just a moment. What has been leading you through your days?

• Are you being led astray in your faith by the company you are keeping?
  • Are you being led by a rushing busyness that brings unrest to your heart and mind?
  • Are you being dragged by your emotions?
God calls us to be LED by the Spirit of God. But it’s not always an easy thing to wrap your mind around. Here is a tool, in the form of the acronym LED, to help you intentionally allow yourself to be LED by God’s Spirit today.
“For those who are LED by the Spirit of God are the children of God.” Romans 8:14
L - Look for His Mercies
“Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” Lamentations 3:22-23
Every morning God’s love and faithfulness are fresh to draw upon. His care is unlimited. His plan is not for us to be “consumed” by the circumstances and cares of our day. Turn your thoughts to His love and faithfulness before our feet hit the floor in the morning and as you drift off to sleep at night.
“It is good to proclaim your unfailing love in the morning, your faithfulness in the evening” Psalm 92:2
Sandwich your day between declaring His love afresh over you in the morning and in the evening thanking Him for His faithful care.
E - Encourage Daily
“But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.” Hebrews 3:13
Take the time to get into God’s presence to allow His word to encourage your heart. Listen for His still, small voice as He nudges you to offer a word of encouragement to others as you go through your day.
All of us can be deceived by the lie, “You are all alone”. Especially at times of loss or crisis or difficult days. Our hearts can begin to harden and we need the daily encouragement of our Lord and of each other as we share the journey of life.
D - Declare Thanksgiving
“He who sacrifices thank offerings honors me, and he prepares the way so that I may show him the salvation of God.” Psalm 50:23
Thanksgiving is so much more than the trite “be thankful” or “have an attitude of gratitude”. These are good reminders to keep a thankful outlook yet thanksgiving is so much more.
It is a doorway that actually opens the way for God to show His salvation. For God to amaze us and bring His plans and purposes to pass. It prepares the way for God to come into our lives and our circumstances. WOW!
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Today I want to be LED by Your Spirit in a fresh way. Show me Your mercies today as I look for them. Encourage my heart and show me who I can also encourage. And give me a fresh outlook of thanksgiving that I might open that door that prepares the way for Your deliverance in my life. Fill me with rejoicing and thanksgiving for all You are and for Your never-ending love and faithfulness to me. I love You Lord and I look to You to lead me this day.
In the name of Jesus I pray, amen.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing My Faith Part 10 - Inheritance

by Gail Rodgers
The party was great! Mom didn’t look the 80 years that the number on the cake proclaimed! It was a good day. Friends and family honored Mom for the woman of faith she is and for her influence in all of our lives. It made me think about my inheritance.

Oh, I don’t mean money in the bank… that can be here today and gone tomorrow. It made me think about the things we leave behind us in the lives of other people.
Let me share four principles of life that we pinpointed as we reminisced what Mom gave us. These are things I can pass on to others in my life. These are things you can pass on too. Each one of us is building an inheritance for those who come behind us. It is a good thing to be reminded of. Consider making these things a part of the heritage you are passing on even today.
Take a risk. Climb out on a limb where the fruit is. Most everything is a risk. To live is to risk dying. To hope is to risk despair. To try is to risk failure. The greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing!
Check your attitude. Forget what is behind and reach forward to what lies ahead. There is no way to be shielded from some of the negative experiences during our life time. The secret is how we respond to them!
Remember to live one day at a time. It is when we add the burden of regret of yesterday and fear of tomorrow that we miss today. Live in this moment!
Put your hope in God. It is because He lives that we can face tomorrow! Faith in God is the foundation of a solid life.
Consider the inheritance you are passing on, even today, to those in your life. These things Mom put into my life began years ago. You are making an impact today. You are an influence today. You are passing on an inheritance long before your hair is gray.
“We will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, His power, and the wonders He has done.” Psalm 78:4
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Thank you for the inheritance I have received from You and from Godly people you have placed in my life. Help me to remember I am also impacting lives as my life touches and influences those around me. Show me if there are new ways You want to use my influence and life experiences in the coming New Year. Keep me mindful that I do not need to be “old” to pass on Your love. Show me where there is a child in my circle that needs my prayers or a kids clubs or youth group that needs my help.
I ask for Your guidance in the name of Jesus, Amen.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing In Grace Part 11 - Checking if the Theory Works

by Gail Rodgers
Last night our book club gathered for our potluck supper to discuss the latest book we had picked to read: “How to Outlive Your Life” by Max Lacado. The stuffed mushrooms were excellent, the chili and fresh buns along with the cashew and raisin salad with homemade dressing was wonderful.
Part way through our meal we turned our attention to our book discussion. Max Lacado did a superb job of challenging us to look beyond ourselves. I read out loud the words of Jesus from Matthew 25:34-45…

“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.”
Then the righteous will answer him, “Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?”
The King will reply, “Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matthew 25:34-45
We were enjoying a selection of teas along with a delicious gluten free dessert square when the phone interrupted our pleasant evening. It was a neighbour needing a ride to the hospital emergency room. It seemed no one else was available. I was irritated. We had looked forward to this evening that had been hard to schedule with our busy lives. I didn’t want to leave the table and head out on the winter roads to the hospital a half hour away. It could be a long wait there too. I complained. I felt pressured. I felt less than gracious. And then I realized…
God knows me better than I know myself. It’s easy to sit in the comfort of my home sipping tea, and talking about how we want to serve others as we seek to serve Jesus. Yet when it’s inconvenient, or annoying or challenging the heart gets tested on its sincerity.
As we quickly cleared things up and I got ready to leave we took a brief moment to pray for each other. When we ask God to teach us, He will take us up on not only knowing the theory but also practicing the application of what we are learning.
prayer & reflection

Lord God,
When You see the desire of our hearts to serve You, You make the opportunities available. May we have willing hearts to leave our comfort zones to show Your love to the hungry world. Forgive the selfishness that surfaces and fill us afresh with the joy of being Your hands and feet.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing in Grace Part 12 - What Can You Expect?

by Gail Rodgers
As we grow in trusting the Lord daily with our situations, as we acknowledge Him in all our ways, as we release our cares to Him… we can expect a result.

God’s word is clear about the results of trusting the Lord. Listen to what He says…
“Blessed are those who trust in the Lord and have made the Lord their hope and confidence. They are like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves stay green and they never stop producing fruit.” Jeremiah 17:7 & 8
As we walk through our days with a confident expectation in the Lord, knowing He will meet us in the midst of our need, we will feel His blessing on our hearts. Our circumstances may remain challenging yet His strength will steady us, His comfort will touch us, His peace will wash over us, His presence will encase us, His wisdom will guide us and His love will surround us.
When our roots go down deep into all the Lord is we will remain fruitful and green even when there is drought all around us.
Feast your heart and mind on all He is today. Your roots will draw water from a deep place and you will be blessed.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Life is full of cares and around me there is much drought of many kinds. Thank you that You are all I need. Thank you that You will guide me and shepherd me through the maze of life as I trust You with my whole heart. Increase my faith today as I trust You with and in the cares of my life. (name them specifically). I thank You and pray this in the strong name of Jesus. Amen.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing in Grace Part 13 - Protected by Peace

by Gail Rodgers
I love the cyclical effect of God’s word in our lives! As we respond to His word, He responds to us. As He draws us to Himself, our hearts are drawn to respond to back to Him.

It’s a beautiful cycle of God’s hand in our lives as we choose to bring Him into focus as we walk through our day.
Here is one of my favorite examples of this.
God tells me…
“Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.” Proverbs 4:23
In other words I need to tend to my heart and be the gatekeeper of it… being careful what attitudes I nurse, what thoughts I allow to make paths in my mind, what images and words I allow media entertainment to deposit there. The essence of my life springs from my heart. When my heart is at peace, peace springs from within me. When my heart is flooded with anxiety, anger, or edginess that is what will spring forth. My entire life is affected by the wellspring of my heart.
Then God tells me exactly how HE will guard my heart and mind and help me tend to the wellspring of my heart.
“Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!
Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus”. Philippians 4:4-6
prayer & reflection

Lord God,
Today I choose to guard my heart by turning my focus to You and rejoicing in all You are to me.
Today I choose to be aware of Your constant presence with me and to allow Your presence to impact my responses with a gentleness of spirit.
Today I choose to see my worries as a call to prayer and to present each one to You.
Today I choose to live thankfully knowing You are able to handle all that concerns me today.
Today, as I choose to guard my heart, I praise You that Your peace, which is beyond understanding, will guard my heart and mind in Christ Jesus.
What a beautiful circle. Thank you Lord Jesus, for Your amazing grace and peace.
I pray this in Your powerful name, amen.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing in Grace Part 14 - Trust God? But How?

by Gail Rodgers
As we face the day -to -day challenges of life we are told to “trust God” with the uncertainties that worry us. Trust God with the blind corners and with that next step even when it feels there is nowhere to place your foot. It can sound so trite at times when our minds swim with the “what if” possibilities.

When we are in the trenches of financial struggle; relationship anguish; health crisis; joblessness; or any number of seemingly brick walls it can be difficult to know how to actually put feet to trusting God in those moments.
This week my brother shared with me 3 very practical steps that he uses to put feet to trusting God day by day. It’s simply too good not to share.
There may be a big issue facing you right now OR simply the small stuff of every day that can become perplexing and confusing. It may be something within yourself that causes you to stumble as you walk. In whatever it is that concerns your heart and mind today these 3 steps will bring your heart to rest in God and trust Him fully with the outcome.
R1 - Release
Name the concern, the issue, the source of confusion, the circumstance that is worrying you or the thing within yourself that you know you need to change. Then offer it to God sincerely. Take it out of your mental backpack and place the weight of it in Jesus’ lap. See the love in His eyes as He takes your burden from you.
“Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:7
Releasing your worry to God means that you place it entirely with Him. You give up your need to control the outcome and you give it to Jesus to deal with as He sees fit. It doesn’t mean you no longer take any actions, it simply means you leave the outcome for God’s to manage. This is the hardest step. We all have solutions that we feel would be best and we often want God to work things out according to our plan. Releasing our current concern to Him means we leave the outcome in His hand.
R2- Resist
“The enemy of your soul will come to steal from you. He wants to rob you of your peace and your confidence in Jesus’ ability to carry your burden for you. When the negative and doubting thoughts come, and they will, resist the desire to play them over in your mind. Capture them and stand firm on the truth that “the Lord will perfect that which concerns me.” Psalm 138:8
“Resist the devil and He will flee from you…” James 4:7 & 8
Capturing your thoughts means paying attention to what is playing in your mind. When worry begins to take hold recognize it and resist the thought. Declare again that you have cast that worry onto God and you are believing the word of God which says He cares for you and will perfect what concerns you.
R3 - Rejoice
Give God praise for who He is and for His love and faithfulness to you. Thank Him, in all your circumstances, that He is the author and finisher of all things. He will never leave you nor forsake you. Offer your thanksgiving as a sacrifice to Him. Declare it out loud even when your feelings aren’t following. The sacrifice of thanksgiving has great power in the spiritual realm as it honors God and actually paves the way for God to work.
“He who sacrifices thank offerings honors me, and he prepares the way so that I may show him the salvation of God.” Psalm 50:23
“TRUST in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path.” Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Thank you that You are with me and able to help me trust You with my life. Please help me today to identify what it is that is stealing my joy. Help me to give it completely to You and to release my need to control the outcome. When worry tries to settle in help me to resist letting it take hold in my heart and mind as I set my thoughts on You and Your promise to perfect what concerns me. Help me grow in thanksgiving and offering my thanks to you especially when it is a sacrifice to do so. I trust You today with all my heart. May I not lean on what I think is best but simply look to You to direct my path this day. Thank you that You hear my prayer and know my concerns.
In the strong name of Jesus I pray, amen.
Post New ThreadReply